“Highs and Lows”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
New York City
“Highs and Lows”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Our experience at the Holiday Inn Ixtapa had highs and lows. Highs included the lovely lobby, very nice pool area and comfortable beds. The lows were a lack of hot water in the room most of the time and horrible pillows on the bed. Bathroom was very nice with a large shower which would have been much more enjoyable with some hot water. Beds were very comfortable but the really poorly made pillows were a drawback. Restaurant was okay but overpriced. The only time I used my American Express card was to pay for the room and immediately had other items charged to my card. Obviously, your credit information is not secure at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room not on the same side as the pool. Special events are held in the pool area wit...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BigJoeNYC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gamma de Fiesta Inn Plaza Ixtapa, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear BigJoeNYC,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that our rooms exceeded your expectations and beds comfortable. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dubai
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The room was very clean and the beds were firm but not super hard. The pillows were ok and the bathroom was good. The shower had really good pressure and there was a retractable clothesline which was handy.

This hotel is not on the beach but is a short walk (about 10 minutes). It is also a short walk to restaurants, shops, etc. The pool area was nice, had a water slide for the kids and a bar for the adults. We ate breakfast and it wasn't bad, omelettes were nice and a good range of fruit. The servers is the restaurant were always very polite.

I think this hotel could use some updating but otherwise it's not a bad place to stay in Ixtapa.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelchickuae
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gamma de Fiesta Inn Plaza Ixtapa, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear travelchickuae,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are pleased to know we were able to meet your expectations during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen C
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We were greeted by Mario, the Hotel Public Relations Manager, with a bright smile and warm welcome! He is very knowledgeable and speaks English wonderfully. He can assist with just about any issue that may arise during your stay, don't hesitate to ask. The pool and pool area is spectacular, gorgeous even, I know, no ocean but after we settled in we did not even care...tranquil and serene...birds, greenery and the flowers! Best pic's ever!

The room was huge even to American standards, the bed was really firm, not upset here as my back and my husbands NEVER hurt the entire time! The bathroom was better than expected, Great shower...Clean room, Clean sheets... The maids were excellent and efficient, always a "good morning" and we even came back one day to a gorgeous flower arrangement on our bed...how romantic!! The decoration of the room was sparse but we really were only there to sleep. Not many rooms with balconies so if that's a must ask them, we did, and got a nice one.

Service: Excellent! Always served with a smile! We hope you get to see Elene L., a server, she is friendly, attentive, energetic, and always going beyond to be helpful. The Hotel Manager, Mr. Baldehar Alvarez, was friendly and funny, he assisted us whenever he could. :) Thanks!! We were lucky to have Mr. Huber assist us as well :). And a 'BIG SHOUT OUT' to the Bar Tenders here, especially Senior Daniel E. Awesome Job keeping us plied with your superb beverages! Try a Long island they are very good here!

So, what's really THE BEST about this hotel? The food prepared by Chef Dagoberto! He rocks, this Chef would make Anthony Bourdain happy! We were lucky enough to have him prepare his Master Pieces especially for us for Lunch....Nothing ever tasted So Good! (Check out the pic's!)

Thanks Guys we will be back!

PS Travelers: A little tip $ often ( to say 'Thanks') goes A LONG WAY!

The Stappart's

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dadsgirls31
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 20 February 2013

To start, i had my assistant call ahead to time to confirm there would be wireless internet available in the rooms as i was travelling to Ixtapa on business. When i arrived i was told i had to provide a paper copy of my hotel reservation. I gave the concierge my Blackberry with my reservation, they told me i needed to go to the business center, print the confirmation and i needed to pay for the printing. I refused obviously, this is 2013. After that they agreed to check me into my room. Once i was settled in i checked for the internet service. Not available. I went down to the front desk and explained that i booked at this hotel because the concierge assured my assistant i would have internet. The hotel staff attempted to fix the internet, then decided to change me rooms. In the new room the internet did not work either at the start. The hotel staff repaired the internet for a few hours. The next morning, i had no hot water in my hotel room, i called the front desk, they said they would send someone to fix the problem. I waited an hour for someone to come before showering in the cold water, and stopping at the concierge to see what the delay was. They forgot. Then you guessed it the internet went out again throughout the day. I went to meetings and returned in the evening. That night the temperature in my room was 18 degrees Celsius, cold. I called the front desk to ask if they had the temperature set from a central control because the thermostat in the room did not work. They told me they would send someone to check it. 2 hours later, still freezing, no one came to the room. The next morning, yup no internet. I went for breakfast to allow them some time to repair the problem. They assured me they fixed the problem and i would have internet through the day. I went to my room, no internet.

The restaurant and restaurant staff at this hotel were absolutely phenomenal. They did everything in their power to make my stay enjoyable and comfortable. Great Service.

The hotel was clean, and very comfortable. Holiday Inn Standard.

I was absolutely appalled by hotel management and their employees. I have never visited an establishment with employees as incompetent as this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Mitch R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gamma de Fiesta Inn Plaza Ixtapa, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear MexiCanadian_13,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Zihuatanejo, Mexico.

Orlando A.
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The food was great. The internet (free wireless) was fast. The rooms were very clean and the price was right on. One thing you look for also is the staff and they were all very well educated with the hotel and protocol of check in and check out. You can't go wrong but if you like to be right on the ocean this is not your place. It's just a short walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bajapi
Minnesota
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Had to overnight here due to a SNAFU with United Airlines November 4th 2012.

The hotel was typical Holiday Inn. You know what you are getting before you get there.

Beds were Mexican Firm.

Small desk for your computer needs. Free WiFi which was a plus for ATTEMPTING to rearrange travel plans.

The upside here was the hotel staff and management, that scrambled to make rooms available for the sixty or so of us that were stranded overnight.

They kept the buffet up late, and arranged for taxi's to be available for a VERY early checkout and departure to the airport.

Not waht I would pick for a family vacation, but a great place in a pinch!!!!

Thank you again for your care of us on such short notice Holiday Inn Ixtapa Staff!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith & Leslie

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Labrat
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. There are plenty of other very nice hotels for the same price in Xtapa Out of the way, dirty, unprofessional staff, over priced... what else can I say?

• Stayed November 2011