“Amazing Horses and Horse People; Perfect for Riders of All Experience Levels”

Clare Equestrian Centre
Reviewed 8 July 2012

One of the best things about traveling is meeting new people, and one of the best things about meeting new people is meeting folks who are down-to-earth and friendly and with whom you can relate.

Welcome to Clare Equestrian Centre and the owners Marie and John Burke.

Our hosts at Cahergal Farmhouse in Newmarket on Fergus in Co Clare recommended Clare Equestrain Cenre when our family of six adults wanted to go riding in Ireland. Experience levels ranged from total beginners to experienced trainer.

After signing the obligatory forms and getting fitted with helmets, we were questioned about our riding experience and six horses of suitable talents were brought into the large indoor arena.

It was a typical rainy Irish day, but we were dressed for the weather. After getting mounted and acquainted with our horses indoors, we went to an outdoor arena where Marie and John's son Brian joined us along with a Finnish student Elina. We were welcome to walk, trot, and canter around the arena, and take a jump if we wished. My oldest daughter Barbara (who is the horse trainer at home in Wyoming) and I jumped a little in the arena, then we all went out for a ride through the Irish countryside.

It was perfect, made only more memorable by the rain. Only problem was we didn't get many photos.

Brian led the way, and he and Barbara and I took some of the jumps next to the trail through the fields. At one point he and Barbara went cantering through a field and small wooded area and jumped several other jumps.

The less experienced folks stayed with Elina at a walk with the rest of us walked, trotted, and cantered, jumping occasionally.

Everyone was happy with the ride (experienced and beginners). After we dismounted in the indoor, we got a tour of the facility by John and Marie. We got to meet their world-class stallion Chippison, who competed under Marie at several top jumping events, including Achen. We also got to meet several of his offspring who were in training and are for sale. Someone is going to get an amazing athlete from the horses we saw! Troy was my favorite of Chippison's offspring, and Beth liked Jason. Barbara liked the stud's filly.

I hope anyone who travels in this part of Ireland stops in at Clare Equestrian Centre and takes a ride or a lesson.

2  Thank AlphaMareWy

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Myself and my boyfriend, had a lovely lesson at Clare Equestrian Centre. I have loads of experience and my boyfriend had none, didn't know the head from the tail! But we had a super lesson with horses perfect for our abilities. WE wanted to steal them, but they wouldn't fit in the car :)
They have a large indoor arena, which is perfect for most days in Ireland, rain rain!! But they also have two large grand prix size outdoor arenas, it was brill cause I got a chance to jump around the show jumping course and do some x/c fences on the land aswell. The instructor coped really well with our mixed ability and we came away after having loads of fun and having learned alot. Great teaching:) It was lovely after, we were able to rest our weary bones, have a cup of coffee and a gander through the tack shop..
I would defo recommend to take a trip, it was the highlight of our holidays...and we'll be back next year :)

3  Thank winny007
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We visited Clare Equestrian Centre for some horse riding during a recent stay in County Clare. We were recommended by the hotel. It was just great. We met with John (I think he's the owner), he showed us round, advised us on what to do for the day and helped us with the right horse selection. All our group of 4 have had some horse riding experience but not enough to be proficient. The weather was great so that made the day even better. Plenty to do on the trek which was all cross country. The trrek was one of the best I've been on.

3  Thank Barrenjoey

Been to Clare Equestrian Centre? Share your experiences!