“Gold Tour”

and up
5-Day Northern Ireland and Atlantic Coast Tour from Dublin
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Kilbeggan
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Ireland, just over 1 hour from Dublin lies the town of Kilbeggan, home to the world's oldest distillery, established in 1757. It is the quintessential Irish whiskey distillery - whitewashed walls, weathered slate roof, brick chimney stack, creaking timber water wheel, even regular ghost sightings. This is no mere "visitor centre" but a real working distillery run by a team of young enthusiastic craftspeople (and a few wise old heads too), skilled in the traditional ways of making Irish whiskey. Open 7 days (except during Christmas and New Year). Whiskey Bar. Gift Shop. Free parking.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My family and I visited the Kilbeggan distillery on our recent trip to Ireland and loved the Gold Tour. We got to see the old distillery, as well as the new. Our guide, Karen, was fantastic, and so was the whiskey! I highly recommend going for the Gold Tour if you plan to stop in Kilbeggan. We found it well worth the price.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

For €6.50, one can take a self guided tour around the oldest distillery in Ireland. There is a water wheel powered by the river beside the distillery. At the end of the tour, you will be provided with a wee dram of a Kilbeggan Whiskey, and you get to keep the glass afterwards! :)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Fascinating distillary, continuously working since 18th century. It is in a quant village and worthe the stop. The old stone mills are still working and it really gives you a sense of what it we like to distill whiskey 200 years ago. Very accomodating for the tasting, they gave my nephew, who was driving, his in a little bottle to take home. Had a nice lunch there also. Don't pass this by.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

A little bit away from the highway the roadmap from our autotour suggested to stop there so we did. But except when you pay the entry you will see nobody and will have to find your way in some antique places with few old equipments. At the end, the bar, but once again you are not very welcome. A shot of regular wiskey, no testing and great wish to reach the next step of your program

Victor P, Guest Relations Manager at Old Kilbeggan Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to our distillery as we normally get some fantastic feedback, especially on our tours and the overall experience.

We'll pass your comments on and see where we can make any improvements based on your suggestions.

Kindest Regards.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great place to visit whether or not you drink whiskey. It's a really old building which is still used. They take you around and explain how the whiskey was made. You can buy their products there, and I think it's worth it. At least my son-in law thought so, when he tasted the peated whiskey I brought him. I think I may have redeemed myself in his eyes, at least for a while.