“Swimming in a Cenote (sink hole)”
Review of Xenote

Xenote
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Swimming in a Cenote (sink hole)”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great fun to do, we swam in one near to Coba. Theres always a fee to be paid...maybe natural but still commercialised.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Amanda J

Edmonton, Canada
“Tulum Adventure Extreme tour”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The guide was great and knowledgeable. They provided fresh water for us. Explanations were detailed and showed how proud he was to be Mayan.

Visited February 2014
Philadelphia, PA
“Seaside enchantment of savory cuisine”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Perched above the Omni resort's beach with a perfect view of the bay, always a pleasant breeze this is a gem with a mix of international and Mexican cuisine. We had breakfast and dinner here more than once - meals were tasty, well prepared and plentiful. Service is outstanding with a friendly, attentive wait staff. Also, they were extremely accommodating to switch out preferences from the menu and also to hunt down and find some flan for my wife (one of her favorite desserts). Atmosphere is very romantic out on the veranda seating where in the morning you can watch the sun rise and the resort come to life while at night you have low candle light to create an intimate setting. There is also seating indoors. Note hat it is a bit pricey, but you get a lot for what you pay. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
Chicago
“A great spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Omni in PA for winter break 2013-14 and had breakfast and dinner at El Xenote many times. The breakfast is outstanding and the view is beautiful. They have very fresh fruit, freshly made grapefruit and orange juice and excellent egg dishes. There is indoor and outdoor seating which is nice because a few mornings and evenings there was rain and wind so going indoors was great. On New Years Day, many of the restaurants in town were closed so we had dinner here and it was very good. Great soups, salads, steaks, something called a Mexican Plate and also a Mexican sampler were also very good. I had some beef medallions in a peppercorn sauce that was very good. The high-ceilings and the design of the indoor dining area are beautiful. Eddier and Jorge were our servers many times and they took very good care of us. A great place whether you stay at the Omni or not.

• Visited January 2014
Puerto Aventuras, Quintana Roo, Mexico
“A sad Christmas diner”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I live in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico and had the privilege to have my parents visiting for the Christmas holidays.
I decided to go to Xenote restaurant, by the marina of Puerto Aventuras, located in the Omni hotel.
I had to pay in advance (140USD for the 3 of us) to book the table.
On our arrival, there was only 2 other couples sited for diner. The waiter comes to us and here, start the confusion and the "bad vibration" about how they are treating us. We are left standing with no one really taking care of us, simply because they could not find our reservation...

The menu was set. Soup, a prawn salad, turkey or fish and chocolate cake.

First the soup... It was not bad but it was not good either. Barely finished our soup that one waiter comes with prawn salad. My dad ask the waiter to not rush the next plates in as we are (supposed) to enjoy ourselves and take our time. The prawn salad was not good.
But it didn't work as they bring the main as soon as the last salad plate leaves the table... On this my dad gets very upset and decide to make a bit more of a formal complaint. My Spanish being better I take over and explain to the waiter (a new one - apparently the original waiter assigned to our table have had enough), that we don't understand the rush. To which we are replied that it is how it works at Xenote restaurant. I suggest that he goes with the customers demand not his boss or the chef's demand and we ask to be left for a moment without our main course _ that had been sited on a table next to us. So here it goes. Our turkey makes it's first trip back to the kitchen.
A brief moment later, a waiter (the original one) brings back our turkey. I guess he saw it hanging out in the kitchen and thought 'shoot' I must bring their food...
Of course, we see what is happening and get very upset. Ask for the manager.
He's busy attending other tables. fair enough. We wait. Our turkey goes back to the kitchen...yet again!

When we finally manage to force him out to our table ( I say this because we could not see him in the main room anymore), he comes to listen to our complaints.
But doesn't move one eyelid. The staff is trained following the (3 star) compliance and the Omni staff training, so he stands behind his crew, which you would expect but... This is in a luxury hotel boutique...

So, to get back to our terrible adventure, the manager offers to refund us which we decline as not sure to be able to eat anywhere without a reservation. But I ask him if the plates that had been brought out two times already, were going to be re-heated in a microwave or what...??? To which he replies that they were going to cook us three new plates... Yeah right!

My mother later on regretted not to get a full refund as it had spoiled our family Christmas diner.

Turkey was bad too.
Did I mention that when we asked to have our turkey, we were served by three persons..?? The manager, the Chef and a waiter... That's ALL they have in this restaurant: staff

As for the chocolate cake, I guess they bought it at the supermarket across the street... Embarrassing.

On departure, we are kindly reminded that the 2 drinks ( a beer and a glass of wine) were still there to be paid for and no apologies from the manager nor a drink was offered to keep us happy...
So I paid 140US$ for three and had this service and they are asking 170US$/person for New Year's Eve...is it with the same staff and service? A joke!

I will never recommend this restaurant and now have my doubts about the service in the hotel.

• Visited December 2013