“Great stay at ACP”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Southern New Jersey
“Great stay at ACP”
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We just returned from 7 nights at the Aventura Cove Palace (Feb 25 to March 4), and we had a great time. There were 6 of us (me, my wife, 2 kids (4 and 2) and my in-laws). We stayed in a Presidential Suite (Rooms 3000 and 3002). The rooms were on the top floor (3rd floor) and were the farthest south of the whole resort (furthest away from the adults-only side). We did not use the adults-only side at all (other than the spa), so this review is entirely about the ACP.

The food overall was good (not outstanding and not awful). We’ve had better food at all-inclusives (Veranda in Turks and Caicos and Cancun Palace, sister property to the ACP) and we have certainly had worse food at all-inclusives. We actually did not make it to the Mexican restaurant on-site, so we had the buffet, the steakhouse, and room service once or twice for dinner. Breakfast at the buffet was very good. Dinner at the steakhouse was great one night and average another night. So overall I’d say that the food was good. At the buffets, we could always find something we liked. If you are a coffee drinker, definitely ask for the Mayan coffee at the end of dinner at the buffet. Amazing presentation and great-tasting.

The service was outstanding. The resort was only lightly occupied during most of our stay, so the staff had plenty of time to focus on delivering great service. Drink service at the pool during the day was great. And the breakfast and dinner service was outstanding.

The rooms in the Presidential Suite were great. There was a nice-sized foyer when you first walk in. Off to the right was a nice large bedroom with two queen size beds, full bathroom, and a big Jacuzzi tub and small balcony. To the left, you walk into a very large living room and dining room (with table and chairs for 8), a wet bar area with sink and small refrigerator. Then a second large bedroom with king bed, double sink vanity and bathroom. And a very large balcony that ran the length of the room with chaise lounge chairs and a hammock on it. Great views of the ocean and loved the sound of the waves rolling in. The housekeeping staff made amazingly intricate towel animals that my kids loved. They collected different ones each day (we had a room full of them at the end of the trip), including a long-necked dinosaur!

If needed, the Wi-Fi connection at the resort was very good. There is not a lot to do at night along the Riviera Maya, so the resort had entertainment just about every night. We went to the Brasilian dancing/Capoeira show and the Rings of Fire/Pirate show. My 4-year old and mother-in-law loved them both (and I thought they were entertaining too).

My kids absolutely loved the Kids Club (and Carolina!). We have never left our kids at a Kids Club, but it was very hard to drag them away from this one. There is a nice inside area where the kids played all sorts of things and did a lot of arts and crafts. And there is an outside area with a kids’ pool and a few small waterslides. The best part (for us) was that the Kids Club was right next to the one end of the large main pool, so we did end up leaving our 4-year old at the Kids Club for a little bit of time, while we were just outside at the main pool.

The main pool is sprawling. It is unheated, so it could be a little bit cold if the sun was not particularly hot on a given day or at a particular time. The weather was terrific when we were there, though, and the pool was very refreshing. There are plenty of chairs out and around the pool and the resort and there was never any reason to worry about getting to them. Lots of places to find shade too.

Since we had two rooms in the Presidential Suite, we had $3,000 of resort credit to use, and we managed to use almost all of it. We spent a lot of the money at the spa (no limits on how much you can use at the spa). But book spa services the day you arrive. At least a few days were already full or close thereto for the week when we arrived. I didn’t make it to the spa, but my wife and in-laws all raved about it. We also drank a lot of wine off of the upgraded wine list. Not sure why other folks found confusion from restaurant staff on this one. We just asked for the upgraded wine list each night, and it would immediately be brought over. We also ordered a bottle of champagne off it one night. And my wife and I (one night) and my in-laws (another night) each used $350 of the resort credit on the steak, lobster and champagne romantic dinner. That was very nice.

My mother-in-law and I went to Tulum one day and that was a nice trip. The Mayan ruins there are built right at the Caribbean sea, which was gorgeous at that spot. We also did the monkey tour at the resort. A few days during the week, there is a walking tour at the resort at 4:00 pm where you walk down the drive of the resort and see monkeys in the trees. Our kids loved it.

Overall, we really had an outstanding week at the resort and would definitely go back. My 4-year old did not want to leave and told us that she wanted to stay all winter. If only . . . .

t-scholtes@hotmail.com

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank TScholtes
Jan_Hundrieser, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 February 2017
Dear TScholtes.

Thank you very much for visiting us and sharing your comments, we sincerely hope to see you soon here and being able to pamper you like a true Rockstar!

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Polish first
Kansas City
Reviewed 18 March 2011

After my 2 previous (very bad) experiences with all-inclusives, I was leery of going to another one. So glad we took a chance and took our family to this wonderful resort! The service could not have been any nicer, or friendlier. Our 8 year old daughter loved the Kids' Club and stayed there almost the whole trip -- we barely saw her!
The pool has an amazing view over the ocean, though it was a tad chilly. The weather was sunny and wonderful -- in the 80s during the day. One slight drawback to this property is the lack of a sand beach -- there's a little rocky cove with a lagoon and they've created a large sand "deck" with lounge chairs. You can kayak or snorkel in the little cove, and there's definitely a few cool fish to see.
With your "resort credit" (often they offer a certain amount of "resort credit" when you book) you can use it for the spa or they also have excursions. We did a dolphin swim...pretty cool! You can also get "wine upgrades" although I think the staff found that a little confusing. Maybe people don't do that very often? There was also a resort photographer who took a bunch of photos of my family and me holding a toucan...then we were able to purchase the photos with our resort credit. Pretty cool! We didn't end up using all of it.
The resort isn't huge, which I kind of liked. Everything was a very short walk. The food was fairly decent, although on the family side (the Cove Palace) there are fewer restaurant choices than on the adults-only side (the Spa Palace.) So the food, though fairly nice, got a little monotonous. It's mostly buffets, so I could usually find some things I liked. And I'm a tremendously picky eater. Still if you can't go to an adults-only place, I highly recommend this for families. They do a lot of special things for kids...a special check-in spot right when you get there just for them, little bathrobes and slippers in their rooms, and X-box. And how lovely to be greeted right when we arrived with a platter of cool wascloths for our faces. They also had fun little shows at nighttime - it kind of reminded me of "Dirty Dancing". There was a magic show, a circus, and a Michael Jackson tribute show. It wasn't exactly Vegas but they were pretty good.
The place was maybe 25% occupied while we were there...not sure if it was due to not being the high season, or if people are leery about going to Mexico right now. That was just fine with us...it felt like we had the place to ourselves, with tons of extra attention from the staff. Rooms are maybe due for a remodel...but the exterior of the hotel is beautiful. We did have a little bit of a weird plumbing/sewage smell in one part of our room, but not horrible. And on the balcony of every ocean front room, there's a hammock to nap in...we all put it to good use! :)
So, to sum up, any downsides to this resort (no sand beach, no good coffee) are far outweighed by the beautiful location, wonderful service, and nice food. We had a fantastic time and would go again in a minute! Our kids didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeepgirl179
Dear Jeepgirl179.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for 7 days at Cove Palace and found it very lovely. The rooms were very nicely decorated with built in cabinets and had new flat screen tvs, although it is slightly odd having a large hot tub in the room, we made good use of it! The rooms were clean as were the public areas. The staff were friendly although very few can communicate in English. The concierge desk was helpful and booked our spa and dinner reservations as well as our dolphin swim which is across the street from the complex and is phenomenal. We sat through their vacation club promo which they give you room credits but the vacation club is very expensive and they are very pushy about buying in. Just fyi. The bar staff at the pool bar was great especially Luis and Jose. The entertainment was great particularly the Michael Jackson show and the samba nite The only thing missing is the beach. There is no beach at the cove or spa, but there is a man made cove with sand and it is sheltered from the rough waters of the Caribbean sea. They have snorkeling tours around the cove which was a lot of fun. We saw a variety of sea life including barracuda!!! yikes! The resort does have included transportation to the sister property in Playa Del Carmen and you can use your all inclusive there too and it is on the beach. Its nice that EVERYTHING is all inclusive including the mini bar and 24 hr room service. The food is fairly good. My favorite restaurants were the steakhouse and the Asian place. Plus we had a steak and lobster dinner overlooking the sea which was really romantic. Every day was spent at the pool and each nite there was lots of fun shows! Overall it was a really relaxing vacation.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nybeachbum_11_11
Dear nybeachbum_11_11.

RI
Reviewed 3 March 2011

The service at this hotel is great. The rooms are nice but be sure to try to get one with a ocean and pool view. The rooms could use more storage for your clothes. There were three of us and not enough space for our things. We managed though. The location was fine, about 11/2 hours from airport. There is not really a beach, there is a lagoon with alot of pretty fish. My daughter and I went kayaking in the lagoon. You can see the fish from the kayak. The pool is really big and very clean. The food was good too. We loved the steak house restraunt on the beach. The steaks are very good. The shows at night were also good. They have a game room for the kids as well. The spa was unbeleiveable!! If you can use the spa do so. It is located on the adult side of resort. Not far. You can walk or have a bellboy bring you. There is also free enternet service and free calling home. I thought was a great deal. In the rooms there is a full bar and beer, soda, juice boxes for the kids. We had room service every day for breakfast. We didn't have to rush out to eat. You can order room service when ever you like. If you can, try to swim with the dolphins. It was great!! Not far from the hotel. If you want to go to the spa, make reservations as soon as you can. Well worth it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dear beachloverRi.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

This is a great resort! The food is great! This is a 5 star for sure. We were placed on the family side and were able to move to adult side no problem so the service is top notch. The open bar facing the carribean is amazing. Anyone complaining about the food or the arrangements must be used to living like kings because it's amazing here. Oh and there's no problem finding a spot facing the carribbean sea to kick back ,enjoy a nice drink and relax all day. Paradise.

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Brian00004.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2011

This was our first experience in the Riviera Maya area and I am very happy that we had the opportunity to discover the Aventura Cove. Combined with the Aventura SPA the whole complex became available for our leisure. The restaurants in both areas were excellent and the service was impecable. We were there for the week of Feb 6, 2011. We were welcomed at the front desk with a refreshment and directed to the check In. From then on the vacation experience started. The rooms are excellent, views are tremendous but most of all and I am stressing it again, the Service by all was "EXCELLENT". We were told by many staff members that they are proud to be working for the "Palace" group, and they pass this message on to the guests. A happy employee goes a long way in making ones vacation a very enjoyable one. Even though this hotel does not have direct access to the beach, in my opinion was made up with the different lagoons and pools that are within the complex. Also, being a guest of the Palace Resorts, it gave us the capabilities of visiting another one of their resorts (Playacar) with the same benefits that we had at the Aventura Cove. (Meals, drinks, facilities, etc.) Also, another plus as it was to our surprise once we checked in, the resort is offering their guests a "Resort Credit" of $1500US that could be used on amenities in the hotel, outside tours, or other amenities that are offered at other Palace resorts such as Golf. Other features that we used are WIreless Internet in our room along with free long distance back to Canada. That is also available to US and Mexico.

These comments are from the heart and they represent the feelings that my wife and I shared at the hotel. We truly had a positive experience and hopefully it will be the same for others that visit.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JSMC1987
Dear JSMC1987.

DSM
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Disregard any of the negative reviews you have read. Resort is beautifully manicured and very clean. We stayed on the "family friendly" side which is the south 1/3 of the resort property. Staff was incredible. The only place that I have seen service like this, is at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. This place is indeed a 5 star resort. This includes the staff from the 3 different family friendly restaurants, to the front desk and especially the activities event staff. What I mean by this, is that they got you involved with activities and made the whole week extremely fun for the entire family. Jairo and Victor knew how to entertain the kids and make sure all were included. They also knew when to not bother you and give you your space. Jasmin was excellent keeping our drinks coming from the poolside bar and we were never left thirsty. Carolina was very caring with our kids in the kids club and had many activities for the to do when they did not want to be in the sun. This resort is right on the ocean, but you can not swim in the ocean, as it is a rock ocean front and coral reef bottom. At first I was dis-appointed by this, but you still the ocean from your room and their is an ocean inlet lagoon right on property by the pool so you can still go snorkeling or scuba diving in the lagoon to see all of the beautifil ocean life. One more thing, the rooms have tile floors. This is because the sandy environment would ruin the carpet and hurricane sdo happen. Much easier to dry off the tile floor than replace the carpet. I would take my family back here in a heart beat. A special thank you to the in-laws that made this vacation possible for all 11 of us. It was an incredible week!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gvccorrado
Dear gvccorrado.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!