“Almost Perfect”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Halifax, Canada
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I attended our industry conference at the Aventura Spa this past week and felt compelled to give a good review. The resort complex is huge, and very well kept. The rooms were well appointed and well stocked. Food and drink was everywhere you turned and the staff who were all so warm and friendly must have outnumbered us 3:1. The conference facilities were also very impressive.

I would give this resort another point rating but it does suffer a bit from its size. There are over 1200 rooms in the complex and occupancy was about 30% while we were there. It probably would have been closer to 20% if our group wasn't staying there. Apparently, during the high season it does get closer to 80%. I would imagine that the resort would really start to come to life then.

I would suggest that if your preference is for a peaceful, restful, vacation, with outstanding personal attention from staff, and instantly available hotel spa services...then this is the place for you! If however, you prefer a more lively vacation with crazy pool antics / late night discos and playing about in beach side waves...maybe look to a different resort, or at least book your vacation in the high season. In short - you can't socialize if there is no one to socialize with.

A shout out to our night time bar staff pals Israel and Ulysses (great guys). They kept our nights fun. To the Hotel GM...give these boys a raise, or do the humane thing and release them back into the jungle wild!

Room Tip: There are so many rooms that I would imagine that you could pick any room you want and you would lik...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Keith M
Jan_Hundrieser, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 February 2017
Dear Keith M.

Thank you very much for visiting us and sharing your comments, we sincerely hope to see you soon here and being able to pamper you like a true Rockstar!

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,217)
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I am jamaican, here for 4 days on a conference. Whilst this is very similar in setting to many hotels in jamaica my homeland the staff's courtesy and attention to detail is amazing! I am so impressed with the people, especially isreal cervantes manager and his servers menalio and miguel. They made me feel so at home. From the spa staff to the bell hops, you will be extremely well taken care of.....highly recommend aventura spa palace, the only hotel for me in mexico!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Dominicazan
Dear Dominicazan.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

I don't understand how people could give this place 4-5*. They must be timeshare owners trying to fill the place. The place was practically empty when we were there. The pool and the ground were nice but I didn't pay money to go to the pool and just to walk around. There was absolutely no beach at all. The pond for snorkeling was just sad. Yes, it was man made pond... The rooms needed some serious update. I don't know what kind of chemical to clean the floor. Part of the floor was sticky, part was so slippery my husband fell and hit his head on the floor. The food was nothing special. Such a bad experience.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank kimdc
Dear kimdc.

Thank you very much for visiting us and sharing your comments, we sincerely hope you to give us another chance to you like a true Rockstar!

Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We have been members for several years and this was our fourth trip to Aventura but the first trip since it was split between the Spa & Cove. We stayed on the Cove side because of an added incentive to members. The occupancy rate was very low while there (last of August, first of September) so there was no "jockeying" for lounge chairs or seats at restaurants. It rained every day but only briefly and there was only one day that it was cloudy most of the time. We just stayed by the pool & hung out with the bar & activities staff who were wonderful the entire time! Can't say enough about the customer service. "J" took us snorkeling in the lagoon and I had no idea we would see such a variety while doing that activity - a barracuda, ray, shrimp, lobster, jellyfish, sea urchins, star fish, etc. This is a MUST do while you are staying there. He knew exactly where to take us.

This is also the time to go & stay on the Cove side because most kids are back in school and it is very quiet. Since we could use the entire $1500 credit for the spa we each had multiple spa treatments during the week. We still had enough left over to "buy" the Tequila package. As a member the occupancy rate was a little disturbing being so low. However, as a consumer it was awesome!

The Palace staff continue their amazing customer service to tourists, the food continues to improve and the spa services are divine. Since I probably won't ever master the Spanish language it helps that the English gets better & better each time we go. There are fewer and fewer misunderstandings each time. For improvement I would say that the activities planned on the Spa side are not communicated to those staying on the Cove side. We stumbled upon a "members only" reception by chance and would have liked to plan on being there from the beginning. If there were other activities going on for adults at the Spa side we never knew about them.

We have been to Cancun three times this year (Moon, LeBlanc & Avenutra) and are planning a trip back in November!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cancun1976
Dear Cancun1976,

It´s been such a pleasure having you with us, we hope to see you soon to share more Rock memories.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We had a wonderful and beautiful trip. Had a small little problem at checkin but it was handled professionally and we were even given an upgraded room because it was stated, "I don't want to be your first bad impression." We respected that response and they more than made a fabulous impression on us the whole week. It was our first time trying an all inclusive, we were always skeptical, but not anymore! The service was outstanding! The staff at every level was friendly, accomodating, and always had a smile. Although there is no official beach, the lagoon areas that are fed by the ocean just on the other side of the rocks are very calm, refreshing and great for a dip or snorkeling, plenty of friendly fish, crab, lobster and birds to entertain you. It was a peaceful resort that is nature friendly and everything was done in good taste, but it is not stuffy by any means. It was the perfect choice for our 25th anniversery and we hope to return again someday. The whole Riviera Maya area is beautiful and the tours to the ruins and to Xcaret were outstanding and an cultural must do to really appreciate the beautiful people of the area. And one more thing, you get free unlimited calls to the USA from your room (except for Hawaii and Alaska) something that is quite unusual but a great service,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Syl050
Dear Syl050,

NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Could have easily given 5 stars based on satisfaction levels and what we paid. This is how we saw it:
Restaurant: Food is above average. There are items in every restaurant menu that were not so good though. Served water is bottled.
Room: May be a bit small. But this due to the jacuzzi but we enjoyed it. The AC was cold but can't turn it off, otherwise the room will be too humid. It took 2 days for the swimming trunks to dry properly, in August at least.
TimeShare sharks: They don't harass you as some said. We knew what they were all about but we reluctantly attended the session. We got free Xelha tickets, worth $200. 2 hours, not really that bad since you would spend 1 hour in breakfast by yourselves anyways. The normal deals are so good now that the timeshare price does not make sense. The guy even said this will not save you money but give you better service, which at the price they are now you can pay it yourselves and come way ahead. With that, he had nothing to say and gave up easily.
Activities and free hotel dollar: There was a restriction on use for swin with dolphins up to $125 ( one person worth) and $300 for spa but they lifted it, so worth checking later if they had one when you checked in. Swin with dolphins are really worth it, but they will get you with the pictures. The cheapest was 3 pics for $125!!!. Unless you have somebody that can take it for you but not sure if they will allow. Spa is really nice, but you can always use $40 to just use the facilities that are really nice such as the dry, steam saunas. We also used it for picture package. They will take you around the resort and take a lot of them. They are not really professional photographers so if you know photography, suggest poses, where and how you want them. $1500 sounds a lot but can be spent easily...
Overall, we were more than happy with the resort. It is isolated from other busy areas but it's so big and nice. We spent days in Playacar and Cozumel Palace and realized ACP was more grand and laid back, unless you like city hotel/resort style, like the ones in Cancun ( the food in Cozumel Palace was the best of the 3 for us, and really good). Everybody is so friendly. Service is a bit slow, laid back would be more appropriate. But come on, everything is slow here, as in any resort town. If you need a drink right away in the pool, walk literally 20 steps to the wet bar and get it yourself. And remember, is all inclusive but tip is still upto you. They work really hard, for really not much.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear MasterDJ,

Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

The Good:

The Hotel is beautiful, it is very clean and any concerns we had (noisy AC or ground floor room) were taken care of immediately. The views are fantastic and the pool is great for kids and adults alike. The hotel is situated between Cancun and Tulum and is close to hundreds of excursions. We were provided hotel credits on arrival which we used for tours, manicures, pedicures, massages, and upgrades.
The credits were great value. The rooms all had a jacquzzi, bar fridge and the bar (tequila, rum, whiskey and vodka) was always stocked in the room and we received a complimentary bottle of wine when we arrived. As it’s all inclusive, I didn’t find that we used the bar in the room but the bottled water was welcome as it was incredibly hot and sunny for most of the trip.

There are spider monkeys on the resort and if you are quiet you can see them in the afternoons. I found this to be great fun and was able to get some fantastic pictures.

The activities staff were fantastic and Victor did an amazing job keeping everyone active. He made everyone feel welcome and seemed to have unlimited enthusiasm, energy and tolerance.
When booking my tours and getting information, I found the staff good overall. Grace provided excellent information and was very patient with my questions; I’d recommend trying to find her if you can.

The Cove was fantastic for snorkelling, we saw a Stingray, Barracuda and hundreds of smaller fish such as Angel Fish and Parrott Fish. The kids and I would take a couple of slices of bread and feed the fish as we snorkelled throughout the Cove, it was great fun. Victor provided guided snorkelling Tours of the Cove each day and would always manage to find something new.

My wife and I left the kids on the Cove side for one day and went to the Spa for a couples aromatherapy massage. We had a Cinnamon Sauna, a lavender steam and a Jacuzzi with some hibiscus tea, very relaxing. My masseuse, Aida, provided an amazing 80 minute full body massage, it was both relaxing and invigorating at the same time.

We went on the Chichen Itza tour, swam with Dolphins, visited Playacar Palace, Akumal Beach and Playa Del Carmen, including 5th avenue shopping. Playacar Palace was a nice excursion for the day and the sandy beach was a nice break from the Cove which does not have a beach, per se.

For me, the highlight was a hidden gem, Akumal Beach. We were looking for something off the beaten path and Ivan from Public relations, said that we might enjoy Akumal Beach. (Ivan is a great source of information, is very helpful and speaks flawless English if needed) We took a taxi to Akumal ($16) and rented snorkelling equipment from the Dive shop which is about $12 per day for mask, snorkel and fins.
The beach is mostly a reef, sheltered by a breakwater is about 1km by .5 km. There are amazing amounts of fish, coral and such to explore. My daughters and I were amazed when we stumbled upon a few large Sea Turtles that we were able to swim with for about 30 minutes. It was a great experience and we also saw a few large Barracuda, 3 Stingrays, a number of Squid and many other types of fish. I would recommend this for nature lovers as it’s an amazing place. I’m sure you can find more information online.

The Bad:
All in all, there was not too much to complain about. The desk staff were not overly friendly and the information that they provided was no always consistent. Overall they were competent but I felt that they could have done more.

Arriving in Cancun and getting to the hotel took us 3 hours. There were some problems for some tourists at customs and the bus has to stop at various hotels on the way. As our flight with Sunwing was delayed departing from Toronto, we ended up arriving at our hotel at 4:30AM. We were checked in and taken to our rooms quickly, but our first few days were spent catching up...

The Ugly:

The food on the Cove side left something to be desired. Although there was fish, steak and chicken, it was mostly tasteless and all fried. The steak was tough and I expected more from a resort of this calibre. We did leave the kids and went to the Japanese restaurant on the Spa side where the food was incredible. Best Sushi I’ve ever had! I’m not sure why there was such an inconsistency regarding the food.

The Chichen Itza Tour as a big disappointment for me. It’s a long way and they force everyone to stop for lunch at a small village where they try to get you to purchase trinkets, goods and such for prices that are ridiculous... The lunch was ok but honestly, I’d have rather spent time at Chichen Itza. All in all, I think we ended up spending about 90 minutes at Chichen Itza out of a 10 hour day, which is really a waste as you don’t have enough time to soak it all in... I’d recommend Tulum as its closer and I believe you can still climb on the Pyramids, etc. Chichen Itza is now one of the 7 wonders so most of the ruins are out of bounds.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room with a hammock and try to book the floor ahead of time.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank DaleQ4
Dear DaleQ4,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,136 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,726 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,603 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,911 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,986 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,633 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!