“Great for family with small kids!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Great for family with small kids!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Great kids club!! My kids did not want to leave. Great shows for the whole family. Great food.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Jan_Hundrieser, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 February 2017
Dear alallyn2002.

Thank you very much for visiting us and sharing your comments, we sincerely hope to see you soon here and being able to pamper you like a true Rockstar!

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed at the cove palace from nov 4th to 18 th for our daughters wedding.There were 56 people at the wedding all from Alberta canada.The word palace says it all,as it is exactly that,when staying there expect to be treated like royalty.Disregard any bad reviews about this place,everything there is top notch,the food was amazing,the rooms were perfect and most importantly was the people.Every staff member would greet you with a smile and hola every time you saw them.The spa was awesome also and well used by everyone.This place is picture perfect for a wedding and several of us are planning return trips to there already.November is the perfect time to ga as it isnt to hot and the hotel is only at about 20% capacity ,so there are no crowds to deal with,it's like you own the place,we must also mention a few staff members who went out of their way to make our visit special,jack and jay were good entertainment and remembered most of our names and Eric at the moondaco restaurant is the most amazing waiter.Overall we would highly recommend this place and can't wait to return

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Dmiddagh
Dear Dmiddagh.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed here for a week with a group of 20 for a wedding. Resort was only 25% full. So we had the resort to ourselves. Grounds were clean, service and entertainment staff outstanding. Food was great. The wedding service was awesome, my niece was very happy with the planning. Only downside is there is no beach, only a cove for snorkeling or kayaking. But we took the free shuttle to the Palace resort at Playa del Carmen, the beach was awesome, you can also eat and drink at all palace resorts in the area. That was a big plus.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank pgriffin9
Dear pgriffin9,

It´s been such a pleasure having you with us, we hope to see you soon to share more Rock memories.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at Aventura Spa Palace in 2008. It was wonderful! We returned with our son to the Cove side this year and did not have the same experience. The service was lacking, the hotel was understaffed, only one resturant was opened for breakfast and lunch, and the staff gave an overall impression of apathy. I don't know if this is because Cove is the kid's side, or because they're becoming a Hard Rock, or what the problem is. We had multiple problems with the room and the service! I went to the Spa side and things appeared to be running a little smoother. Just because I bring my kid on a trip with me doesn't mean I should get crappy service! We are Palace Premier members and will probably try to sell our membership.

However, there were some staff members who were excellent. Arturo the bellhop, Ivan in public relations, and Eric at Mundaco. Eric was especially good.

BTW-what is Palace Resorts thinking turning a spa resort into a Hard Rock?! Really? In the early 90's I might have gone to Hard Rock to get an overpriced hamburger, but it's not the kind of environment I want when I'm on vacation!

Room Tip: If you're going to book a family suite, be advised that none of them come with ocean views. Thi...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jesse C
Dear Jesse C,

Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I can not speak for the Spa side, but we stayed on the Cove side. We are Palace Premier members(another mistake but that's another story). The hotel was understaffed. The service was substandard. The hotel was NOT crowded, which I could understand if this was the case. The pool bar had one bartender most of the time. Waiting for a drink was the norm, not the exception. The bartenders did not know how to make a lot of the requested drinks. Come lunch time, one restaurant only, but a nice buffet. But the hotel decided to bring bus loads of people from other resorts at lunch time. So no seats, long lines, totally unacceptable. Room service was ordered most evenings. They would leave the dirty plates, cups, trays etc outside the room until morning. Of course the birds loved this in the early morning. They would rattle the trays and plates and have their own buffet. They had a cell phone convention with lots of models. They had a VIP party on the family side, not the adult side????? Bottle caps were left all over the place and our son stepped on one and cut his foot. The pool tables had no 8 balls. I asked and was told they didn't have any. Hard to play without an 8 ball. We had an 8 day stay. They automatically checked us out on day 7. We were locked out of our room, no maid service that day either. No explanation or apology given. The resort planner was rude and was acting as if were bothering him so we went to Hugo, who was very helpful. Then of course there was a wedding and the guests who were showing up got the red carpet rolled out. We , as members just stood by and waited for them to call us a taxi while the bellhops ignored us. I did write a complaint when we got home. We did get a reply acknowledging the problems with this resort and how they were going to fix them. And to come on back and we will show you. That will be the day!!! There was a lot more issues with this place. I am not the type who usually complains. I can let a lot of things go. But this place was just awful. No mas! If you are traveling as couples only, we recommend Secrets Capri. Even though we had a great stay at Cancun Palace a year ago, Palace Resorts do not come close. Plus Secrets will not try and ram a membership down your throat. Anybody want to buy a Palace Resort membership, don't. You can have mine!

Room Tip: Don't go, find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Tim B
Dear im B.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel and I can say that it was an exceptional stay thanks to all staff. Everyone was very friendly and attentive. Unfortunately a family member got sick, to the point that almost had to be taken to a local hospital for emergency surgery (which was no longer necessary) but the entire staff behaved with us so well that made ​​us felt calmer despite the seriousness of the situation. They really felt empathy for what we suffered. I can mention a few names like Martha Miranda, Gabriel (call center of the Palace chain), and Leonardo Mena among others. Fortunately everything was solved and we only had one night of anguish. The general manager of the property, Mr. Julian Castaneda was very kind and was aware of our well-being and helped us in everything that was possible.
I also want to mention all the reception satff , especially Josue. Paulina the Kids Club attendant. We were all very pleased. We want to return because they really looked after us very well!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Inggl
Dear Inggl,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My family of four stayed at the Aventura Cove Palace for 5 nights 10/5-10/10. OK, let's get out of the way that they have no beach. I'm not sure why people are surprised by this, when all the reviews you read for the property state this! That is actually one of the reasons we booked this resort - the private, enclosed lagoon they have felt very safe for my 9 and 7 year old kids to snorkel and swim in. If you want a white, sandy beach, look elsewhere. If you want a beautiful, clean resort with lots of amenities and safe, calm water for your family to enjoy...this is the place for you.

ACP is a good-size resort, but not huge like the Moon Palace. All the rooms (to us) were within reasonable walking distance to the lobby, restaurants, spa, pool, and lagoons. The resort is surrounded by jungle, and inhabited by a troop of spider monkeys (they have walking "monkey tours" around the resort on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays).

The service was fantastic throughout the resort - we were made to feel very welcome, including our children. From the front desk to the servers in the restaurants, to service staff all over, we really felt attended to. Every employee we passed greeted us.

Yes, they do ask if you want to attend a presentation - I'm sure depending on who is assigned to you to explain the resort procedures and resort credit you are asked differently, but we just told him we weren't interested and he didn't push too hard. We were never made to feel uncomfortable about it.

The room was a decent size, as others have said the jacuzzi takes up a lot of room but we still had plenty for 2 adults and 2 kids. We didn't spring for the family suite as it was almost twice the price of our room. The balcony with hammock was a nice feature, and allowed the kids to go somewhere and read/play their DS while they were waiting for us to wake up in the morning. The room had plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages for us to enjoy, including bottles of wine, bottled water, soda, and liquor. Leaving a $2 tip daily for housekeeping got us some towel art. The room was very clean, and a couple of times housekeeping offered us extra towels when they came by. Yes, the beds are harder than most people are used to in the States - ask for a couple of extra pillows if this bothers you. The shower in the bathroom was very big, and had a sitting area. Water pressure and temperature were good.

We got a $1500 resort credit with our 5 night stay and weren't even able to spend it all. We went swimming with dolphins (even though the website says it is at Wet n Wild, at ACP you go to Dolphinaris which is practically across the street). It was a $8 taxi ride each way - we could have walked but we would have had to cross a very busy highway and we didn't want to with our kids. We also used our resort credit for a tour of Tulum, I got my hair colored and cut at the beauty salon, I got a hot stone massage and my husband got a back massage at the spa, my daughter got her hair braided at the kids' salon, and I got a deluxe pedicure. After all that we still had $200+ credit left we didn't use.

TIP: BOOK ALL THE SPA TREATMENTS YOU WANT AS SOON AS YOU CHECK IN, OR THE TIME SLOTS YOU WANT WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE. Same for the tours - some are more popular than others, but better safe than sorry. The resort credit is a great deal, though.

We were there during low season, so I would estimate that the hotel was only at around 10-15% occupancy. Because of this, on the family side, for breakfast and lunch we only had one option (buffet) or we could eat snack food at the pool bar. A few times we dropped the kids off at the kids' club and ate on the Spa side. I have to say that the food was similar at all the buffet restaurants, didn't matter which you ate. We have been to several all-inclusives and have always found it to be that way. There was always plenty to find that we liked, and the food was generally good. At any of the buffets, you could have them grill you fresh stuff like chicken breasts and shrimp if you asked for it. We only ate at one of the a la carte restaurants - Momonohana (the Asian restaurant), and most of what we got was very good. I have had better sushi, theirs was very basic, but everything else was delicious.

The Kids' Club - was fabulous. We had never dropped our kids off at one before but felt very comfortable doing so here. Joaquin and Amanda made the kids feel very welcome and paid them a lot of attention. The kids opted several nights to eat there instead of with us - they enjoyed getting to play video games, watch movies, and make crafts while they were having dinner.

Both excursions we took other than the Dolphin Swim and Tulum, I highly recommend.

One day we took a trip to Moon Palace in Cancun because we wanted to participate in the baby sea turtle release. That was absolutely amazing. We walked to the end of the beach where they have a fence around the turtle eggs, and the biologists happened to be there collecting the baby turtles that had hatched. One of them walked up to the fence and handed us two baby sea turtles! We also participated in helping the sea turtles get to the ocean that evening.

The other excursion we took was to Punta Venado ecopark to go horseback riding and snorkeling. The horseback riding was very relaxing and beautiful (and exciting for my 7 year old who had never been on a horse!), and our guide took us through the outskirts of the jungle and along the beach. He also took pictures of our family on horseback. After the horseback riding, we rode ATVs to the beach where we went snorkeling. With a friendly sea turtle! The only thing I regret about that trip was not spending all day there.

We would definitely return to this resort, and would recommend it.

Tips:
-Going during low season was great - lot of personal attention and felt like we had a lot of the resort to ourselves!
-When arriving at the Cancun airport, avoid the people in light blue shirts. They will try to talk you into attending a timeshare presentation at one of the resorts.
-As mentioned, book all spa treatments and tours you want to use your resort credit for as soon as you have checked in.
-Things you can use your resort credit for (at the time we were there): Spa treatments, beauty salon, kids' beauty salon, $300 credit at Matis jewelry shop, room upgrade (don't waste your money here, all rooms are same size - you only upgrade for a better view), lobster/wine dinner for two, upgraded wine list, swimming with dolphins, Tulum Tour, Chitzen-Itza tour, Zip-lining tour, Isla Mujeres trip, Wet n Wild water park, Coba tour
-Buy vanilla extract at the gift shop. Mexican vanilla is SO much better and SO much cheaper than vanilla you can buy in the States.
-Visit Punta Venado and Xel-Ha if you have the opportunity.
-Use your Palace privileges and visit one of the other Palace resorts for a change of scenery. The Playacar Palace is only around 15 minutes away and has a pretty beach. The Moon Palace does sea turtle releases from May to the first week of October (I think).
-If you have kids, drop them at the Kids' Club for dinner and a movie one night and go to the Spa Side for a "grown up dinner".
-Bring a stack of $1 bills for tipping. I suggest $2 per day for housekeeping, $1-$3 per meal in the restaurants, and $1 for when someone brings you a drink by the pool or lagoon. I also tipped the masseuse, hairstylists and on the last day I tipped the person at the Kids Club who had lavished attention on my kids. Gratuity is not mandatory, but it certainly is appreciated by these folks who don't make much money. I'm writing this here because I'm never sure how much or if to tip and would have appreciated someone telling me :). No one ever acted like they expected a tip other than I did feel that way at the spa after my massage.
-Don't schedule out your entire trip! This resort is great for relaxing, with lots of options for doing so.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
29 Thank AmyNora1
Dear AmyNora1,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,206 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,963 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,731 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,984 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,132 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,715 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!