“Vacation was nice, Front Desk Staff Not So Much”

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Vacation was nice, Front Desk Staff Not So Much”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We arrived on March 16th. Our overall vacation was good, but I am going to rate them poor to show them they should treat their clients better at the front desk. We had booked three rooms. One room had two adults 2 kids (leaving one day earlier), one had 2 adults1 child and the other had Grandma and Grandpa. We arrived early so the rooms weren't ready but we were expecting that. We were told by 3 o'clock they should be ready. At 3 o'clock only one room was ready so we told them to give it to the grandparents since they wanted to go rest. At 3:30 the other two rooms were ready and we settled in. What we didn't realize until a couple days after when we were charging things to the rooms, the names on all three rooms were mixed up. We thought no big deal, we will just change the names. But because the family with the 2 kids were leaving one day earlier that didn't turn out to be the case. When we got the names settled out for the right rooms (for the room charges) the room with the one child in it was in the room that was supposed to be leaving one day earlier (the family with the two kids were supposed to be in this room) and the Hotel charged for the child staying in that room one extra day. I was not able to convince them that the family with the one child had a paid reservation for the full time for all of them. But because they had to switch the reservation to the other room that was booked to check out one day early, the computer created a charge for the child. I told them to give us a credit from the correct room reservation but they could not understand that. To make matters worse at check out they would not let us leave the resort until we paid it. Our transportation was waiting for us for 25 minutes while we were discussing the matter and then the driver told us he could only wait 2 more minutes because he had another appointment to pick up. The hotel would not release our luggage until we paid, so we paid it otherwise we would of lost our transportation to the aiport and had to pay for it ourselves. Also, to add insult to injury, the front desk blamed us for switching rooms.

On the positive side, we did like the resort and we did have a good holiday. The staff were friendly, the resort is clean. Lots of wildlife. Landscape is beautiful.The food was good. The buffet on the family side was not as good as the adult side. Their selection was better and fresher but we tried not to eat at the buffet as much anyways. The lagoons are really cool. Bring bread with you to feed the fish when snorkeling. No beach, but we knew that before we went and were ok with it. Shows are very good. The spa was great and it was good that we were not limited on on the resort credits for spa usage. That was a bonus.

Minor negatives. Not enough umbrella's around the pool. The few hut style ones are taken very early in the morning. They should let the teenagers stay a little later in the night club. It is on the family side. Once they kick them out, the club is empty anyways. No close bathroom near the center of the pool. We are Palace members and we really don't get treated any different or get any perks (other than a free mani and pedi) more than anyone else, so what is the point of buying in sometines we think.

This has been our 5th Palace Resort and I would place it 4th of the 5 we have been to. We still really like Palace Resorts and will continue to vacation with them. Don't think we would go back to this one though since there is better ones.

1 Thank 213Paul
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Hi 213Paul, we appreciate your feedback.

I was very disappointed to read that we failed on your stay and that our check in process was not as you expected.

Before I continued with all due respect let me clarify you that our check in is until 3:00pm and most of the resorts located in this area have the same policies.

Please accept our apologies for the 30 minutes delay on your check in, we strive to provide our guests with quick and efficient service, but seem to have missed our mark in your case.

I will recommend you for further visits that request in advance an early check in just remember that it is subject of availability.

We regret to learn about the misunderstanding on the reservations names, we rarely gather this kind of complaints but rest assured that we will share your comments with the Front Desk Manager to take in consideration to avoid it occurs in the future.

I look forward to speaking soon and thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Polish first
Islip, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Just a wonderful place to relax--and to get away from northeast weather! The staff, room, restaurants, spa and excursions couldn't have been better. One of the highlights was having Mayan Coffee made at our table. Lots of fun! We look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a deluxe waterview room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hello jcsanzio, we appreciate your short review.

We are glad hearing that you found our resort as a perfect getaway.

It is wonderful that you enjoyed our services and facilities. We are proud of our culture and to share with all our guests we recommend to try the Mayan Coffee, it is amazing.

Again thank you for your comments.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

There were 8 of us on this trip with 3 kids. Fabulous family vacation with such friendly staff. Extremely clean resort. Good food and entertainment. On arrival the concierge "Santiago Munoz" provided us with a family room ( for my brother, his wife and 2 kids) & rooms (at our request) overlooking the beach for us- We had our 15 yr old and my mom come so we reserved 2 separate rooms instead of a family room. Our room did not have a king bed, only a double. The staff pulled two doubles together in our room,making it an extra large king bed, it was perfect & very comfortable! Anything is possible! I loved it! Ocean view was great!
Hugo Dorantes was another staff member at the front desk & was always smiling & aiming to please when we asked questions.
Aurora Sanchez met with our family on a 1-1 basis & gave us all the details & activities offered in the hotel. She was very nice & answered all our questions.
It was "Antoine Hammam" who works for Legendary vacation who went over & above what his job description was in making our vacation perfect in every way! Thank you Antoine!
Spa services were unbelievably amazing. We were pampered and enjoyed the services the spa provided. Relaxing massages, papaya wrap & facials were some of the many spa services I enjoyed. My ultimate favourite was the rejuvenating massage and seaweed wrap that "MagaliAbigail Tiburcio" provided. She was so kind. I could not have been anymore relaxed! It was the best!
The Posh beauty salon was another pampering experience with fabulous mani/pedicures. "Rosa Ester Hidalgo" did a great job! Other staff working in the beauty salon that were aiming to always please & were very friendly were "Brenda Carrillo and Alberto Guerrero.
Staff serving drinks and food in the restaurants went out of their way to please. Our beach waitress "Madahi" was so friendly every time she came around. The bell Boy "Rafael Sauri" was always full of smiles and helped with luggage, arranging for taxi service, etc. "Andres Suarez" the bell boy stopped what he was doing one time & took pictures of our family, without even being asked. So thoughtful!
"Julio Espinoza, Julio Arrieta" were awesome & also went out of their way to make us happy.
Pedro, the manager at Momo No Hana prepared the most amazing meal ever! He went way out to please us & we had a great meal!
We also really enjoyed La Trattoria. Loved the spaghetti & seafood capellini. Had this on two separate occasions, it was so good.
In La Huerta, the manager & waiters spoiled us with a wonderful meal meal & included our favorite dish, lobster. David even got a tour of the kitchen!
On another occasion, Don, Colton, David & Grayson went to the Pizzeria & asked for lobster. "Maria Hermosillo Sandoval" went out of her way to make this possible. What happy boys we had!
Room service was great every time! "Marco Antonio Hay EK" brought fresh fruit & juices to our room at our request. He set up the meals in a wonderful presentational way.
We had the Chef's Dinner our last night. What an amazing end to our vacation! "Emmanuel Pastelero Guzman, Daniel" was moulding statues out of candy. He made a beautiful rosé for Colton, Daniela & Grayson! The hostess "Brigida Casillas" gave us a table of our choice for this meal & "Mariano Gomez Sanchez" gave us the best service ever! (Pedro Cano Mas was training with Mariano and was also so attentive-he will do well)
The kids spent lots of time playing water volleyball, connect 4 (great game when shade is needed)participated in the Harlem Shuffle, & competition games with other kids & with Elias, Cesar & other activity staff- now Daniela wants to come back in June for her birthday! The kids had the best time ever. What a safe resort!
The lagoon was very pretty & made it possible to snorkel & kayak.
It is hard to acknowledge each & every staff member but I do have to say that every staff member was so pleasant, kind & so professional in their job!
We will be returning!!! Thank you all for a very relaxing & enjoyable vacation!

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk staff. I booked 7 months in advance & never got the room requested when...
1 Thank Lisa W
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Hi Lisa W we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your detailed experience with our readers.

We are delighted reading that you and your family had a wonderful trip and that your overall stay happened as you expected. We value that you enjoyed our food and the entertainment service.

As you mentioned “everything is possible” and we move forward towards the inconveniences that our guests may have providing you alternatives to replace the facts. It is our commitment make you feel special offering top notch services.

We are glad reading that you highlighted the treatment from most of our staff, we appreciate it and let me tell you that we actually have an incentive program for the staff members that our guests mentioned in their comments.

Also we are very pleased to know that you gave us an “unbelievably service” at the spa, it is on our top.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again to provide you with another unforgettable experience.

Ontario
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at Aventura March 23-30. We are seasoned travellers, aged 50ish who have been to Mexico 16 times and absolutely love the country and its people. For the record, I'm a registered nurse from Canada.
To start off, we arrived late Saturday evening, checked in very quickly and taken to our room by golfcart. The bellboy showed us several aspects of the room and was kind and professional.
We were tired from our trip, so we decided to stay in and order room service. Our food arrived within 45 minutes and was what we ordered. It was not hot but hey, we were hungry and ate it anyway.
Our room was exactly what we requested, second floor with a kingsize bed. It wasn't huge, but spacious enough and was clean. The fridge was well-stocked and we basically had everything we needed.
Sunday was a day spent exploring and relaxing around the pools. The towel game is the worst I have ever seen. I watched people sign out 8 towels and place them at various spots so they had several chairs reserved in different spots. This needs to stop! Implement towel cards like everywhere else and your guests will not be able to do this. The chairs around the pool on the Spa side are crammed together like sardines. No privacy at all. The Cove side was not much better. We spent the day sitting on the edge of the various pools and never did get a chair. For dinner we ate at the steakhouse on the Cove side. The food was good, very slow to come, but the place was packed and NOISY! It had the ambience of a high school cafeteria.
Monday we had deep tissue massages at the spa. They were,at times, a little too deep but made us feel amazing afterwards. We both took advantage of the hydrotherapy beforehand and really enjoyed that. The spa is beautiful and the staff most professional. Once again, we were unable to find a chair, so we sat on the edge of the pool and listened to the rock band. We really enjoyed that. For dinner that evening, we ate at the Italian restaurant on the spa side. The food was excellent, and the ambiance much more to my liking. Our waiter was fabulous until the end of our dinner when he came to the table and said "Please don't forget my tip. A lot of people do" We are good tippers and I understand that some people don't tip. That's their choice. I was insulted but left a generous tip anyway.I won't mention the waiter's name because I don't believe in name-dropping on this site.Many chains have implemented reward programs for their staff based on how many times their name gets mentioned here. This results in employees leaving you their business cards and hounding you for recommendations. At the Bahia last year, it was annoying!
We ordered a bottle of red wine from room service that night. It arrived promptly, but was as brown as mud from oxidation and I poured it down the drain.
We got a chair on Wednesday on the Cove side. That made me happy. We spent the day there relaxing. For dinner that night we booked the Chef's Dinner using our resort credits. We were seated at a table with two other couples, both from Canada, and really enjoyed the evening. The food and wine-paring was well-done. We went back to our room after dinner and that's when our trip went to hell. By midnight, we were both vomiting, had abdominal pain and diarrhea. This lasted all night despite my attempts to relieve our symptoms using Gravol, Pantoloc, Simethecone, Advil, Tums. In the morning, I called the front desk to inform them that we were sick. This is the protocol as written in the directory in your room. The response I got was that nobody else was sick. I was not asked if we needed to see the doctor or anything else. I called a second time to ask if we could have our bathroom cleaned. Once again I reported our illness and requested 6 cans of sprite which was sent promptly. I tipped the maid 100 pesos to clean our bathroom and even offered to do it myself but she declined. I was embarrassed to have her clean up after our illness but she just went about it without complaint. Thanks so much. We did not request to have our room made up that day because hubby couldn't get out of bed.
Thursday was much of the same despite all my attempted medical intervention. I did get my relaxation massage at noon and enjoyed it thoroughly. I had to cancel my hubby's and was told that I would still need to pay the 11%. I didn't care. Thursday night, still no better, I called the front desk to cancel our trip we booked to the HardRock in Cancun. We were told that guest services we not available to accept our cancellation and that we would have to pay for the trip anyway. I was giving the required day before notice but apparently it was a no go unless I could come to the front desk with confirmation of our reservation. I tried to explain that we were too sick but that fell on deaf ears. My biggest concern was that I did not want the bus waiting for us on Friday morning and ruining everyone else's trip. Finally, I was able to get that through to her. She finally did say, "I am sorry for your illness" I appreciated that. We spent Friday in our room:(
Saturday, we packed up our stuff and were picked up and taken to the lobby at noon. I checked out and was informed what I owed. I requested and was given a printout of the charges. The cancelled massage and trip to HardRock were both charged to our room despite being cancelled. We were told that no charges could be cancelled, so I paid the bill and requested to see the manager.
I was directed to the concierge and told him my story. He said that he receives a medical report daily and had no idea we were ill. Apparently, I was suppose to call the concierge in case of illness, but the room information guide says to notify the front desk. The charges for the cancelled trips all stuck, and frankly, I don't care. My concern really is the lack of communication between departments of this hotel. We were stuck in our room for three days, due to illness. Nobody called to check on us, nor were we ever offered medical attention. As previously mentioned, I've been a nurse for 25 years and did my best to treat us until getting home. We are otherwise healthy people. If we were old, frail or had other medical issues, that would have been a different story. Maybe someone would have checked in on us if we hadn't checked out on Saturday. I advised the concierge that I review all our trips on Trip Advisor and that I wanted to speak to him before we left so that he could not claim that he was never made aware of these events. At this point he said, "I will be filing a report" Thanks for that.
We arrived home at 0400 hrs and went to the emergency department where I work. We were diagnosed with gastrointestinal infection related to consumption of infected food/water and put on oral antibiotics and antispasmodic medication for the abdominal pain. I am unable to return to work until symptom-free and that may be more than a week. We have never been sick before, in all our travels to Mexico and the Caribbean. All I can say is be ever so careful. It could happen to you too. Adventura, you just didn't care enough about our safety and we will not be returning.
Sandra McDonald RN

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank RNegade
Jan_Hundrieser, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 February 2017
Dear RNegade,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments, we truly hope you give us another chance to change your perception.

Best regards!

Jan Hundrieser
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The kids club is great for kids 8 and under. Carolina, Amber and Vanilla(not her real name -it's to hard to pronounce) are the BEST!! My son loves all three of them and they really make it a fun place to go. He would beg to go there. The food was great and fresh. It is under renovation so half the rooms are closed but the noise was not very loud. We booked our spa treatments on line ahead of time and found that to be very convenient. We also booked my husbands golf ahead through the vacation planners. The spa service that you can use the credit's for has been reduced which was disappointing and the cost for the ones you can use credits for has gone up. Still a great deal though. This was our third time there and the most crowded we've seen it. They really need address the "chair saving" problem. We saw chairs that were saved for 5 hours before anyone showed up....terrible!! Right now if you want a chair in the shade.. you need to be out there before 6:30am. They could add more palapas which would be really nice and help solve some of that problem.

Over all another great stay and we look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Mundaca Resturant. There are bathrooms on the back and sometimes they g...
1 Thank Rlebb
Hi Rlebb thank you for your kind comments.

We are glad reading that your overall stay was as you expected.

We will take in consideration your comments from the kid`s club girls and we will let them you that you mentioned that were the best. Also we will add them on our incentive program.

Our goal is make every vacation as a memorable one.

Will be a pleasure host you again at any of our Resorts.

GTA
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Just got back from this resort in mid March. The staff are very friendly and eager to please. We did have issues with our air conditioning. It took two full days for them to get it working for us. The food was very good with lots of variety. About 1/3 of the resort was under construction so there were no available rooms to upgrade to. My biggest disappointment was the beach. It is a man made beach and they haven't even put nice sand in. It is very stony and coarse and in many areas the landscape fabric is showing through. Because of this, the pool area is constantly packed and if you don't "claim" your poolside chairs by 6:30 am, good luck finding a spot! As well, if you end up at the south end of the pools, you'll be listening to jackhammers and other construction equipment for the day. The spa services were great! I'm sure once Hard Rock is finished their upgrades and touches, this will be a top notch resort. But until then, I would not recommend it.

1 Thank GTAJim
Hello GTAJim, we appreciate the feedback from your recent stay.

In regards to your comments about the lounge chairs, allow me to inform you that it is already fixed, trust me we have new equipment and it is not happening again.

We also are pleased hearing that you considered that our staff is friendly. The transition process is taking place in smooth phases and it does not affect the whole facilities.

With all due respect we always invite our guests to visit our website to find information in reference of the services and facilities that we offer to avoid this kind of misunderstandings, inasmuch as we have detailed information, comments about the beach area are very specific.

We hope you give us another opportunity to host you again to show you our improvements.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay.

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Aventura is 2 parts, Cove is family and Spa is adults only. If you don't have children you can go to either side. It is quite busy here right now so the pools and restaurants tend to be a bit noisy.
It is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff are so friendly and helpful. They clean your room twice a day. 3 restaurants per side, as well as a buffet each side. The food is excellent.
I recommend taking a table outside as it can be noisy with the high capacity right now. It is such a lovely property. As for getting around, it is not far to walk anywhere. If you prefer they have golf carts that come by and will take you around, but is not necessary. We regularly walk from the Cove to the Spa side. The resort credits are well worth using and you only pay the tax - 11%. There is not a beach, but the snorkelling is nice and the pools plentiful. The staff work 24/7 to make your stay special. The evening shows are fabulous, recommend Magic show & Fire show.
Roberto at the Meditrainian restaurant made our dinner so special.

Room Tip: You don't spend much time in the room so it does not matter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank debk110
Hi debk110, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our readers.

We are happy to know that you spent a marvelous time on your vacations and that our staff provided you with an excellent service, we will Roberto know that you felt his warmer treatment and we will include him on our incentive programs.

We want to satisfy all your needs and ww innovate programs as the RC which are considered by our guests more than helpful, is amazing that you took advantage from it.

We truly appreciate your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#2 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!