Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$202
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)
US$232
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$350
US$268
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Beachfront
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$271
US$524
  • Pool
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$472
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$106
Travelocity
11,058 results
All reviewssun barzen restaurantrock royaltyrock spavacation plannerssuper mariosky terracerock starheaven poolmonkey tourresort creditriviera mayale petit cochonheaven sectionfoam partypublic relationslos gallos
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya. We are a family of 5 adults who were very happy to have missed a very frigid Canadian week. We booked somewhat last minute ( one month prior) and wanted an Adults Only hotel. The Hard Rock had availability and we booked the Adults only section, (which is called Heaven.)...it was far from it. The adults only section is NOT complete. There is construction all around, and you will hear saws, hammering, grinders, etc. from early morning well into the evening. We were placed In Building 4 to start which is totally under construction. I cannot begin to describe the state of it, only to say, that if this was in Canada, it wouldn't be allowed to be inhabited. We were assured by Air Transat and the Hard Rock hotel (through our travel agent )that all construction was complete. IT IS NOT!!! We were moved to the second floor of building one 24 hours later which appeared to be somewhat completed and it was much better. The third floor however is not. If you end up with an unacceptable room, be persistent and voice your concerns to Public Relations.We feel the Hotel is misrepresenting itself.
If you have booked this property for the family side ( Hacienda) the construction is complete over there and you shouldn't have any significant noise issues. If you have already booked the adults only section, try and make the best of it, like everyone else we met there said. We still had a great week in the sun and overall the staff is wonderful. As far as Food goes, we thought the Japanese(Hacienda) and the French (Heaven) were the best choices. One bonus is you don't have to make reservations for ala carte meals. The buffets did get tiresome, and I would say the quality of food is just O.K. Most of the entertainment is held on the family side of the hotel. We saw the breakdancing show and the Micheal Jackson show....both were very well done. Live bands playing were excellent. The adults only side is lacking in nighttime entertainment. I understand a nightclub is set to open sometime....but it doesn't look like anytime soon. Two pool tables in the lobby...that's it.
You must visit the lovely lady(Angela) in the lobby making special coffees in the evening. The Mexican coffee is fantastic!
If you are looking for a beach to swim off of,this property would not be for you. There are man made lagoons which you can swim in, but the shoreline consists of breakwater. We spent all our time poolside.
Typically we were out by the pool by 9a.m. and had no problem getting a lounger. We did notice on the family side lagoon beaches were packed and Lounge chairs occupied. A busy place.
The property is quite a distance from the Cancun airport...so be prepared for about an hour+ of a ride.
Would we stay at another Hard Rock Hotel? Probably not....not this one for sure. I think it needs another year to be complete and work out any bugs in their system. We missed having a Mexican feel at this hotel...it is a Hard Rock Hotel though....and that is their brand....
I have rated this hotel 3 star at best...the 4.5 -5 star that it is advertised as must be based on the previous property Aventura Spa Palace. It has a long way to go and much work to be done.

Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank J O
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Esteemed guest,

I would like to thank you for bringing your disatisfaction to my attention. I am very concerned about your satisfaction and we are working relentlessly to meet our high standards in quality and reach with the epic service that sets us apart. I would like to have the opportunity to change your perspective about our resort, this said; on behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, I extend you my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and I would also like to cordially invite you to come back soon as we would give you the rock star treatment you deserve. I will have a specialist contact you via private message to address your concerns and I assure you that I will be on top of the situation.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I surprised my teenagers by taking them to the "Hard Rock" all-inclusive from Dec 25th - Jan 1st so that we could spend Christmas Day and New Year's Eve together. They had never been to an all-inclusive before but I have been to many over the years with my husband. I had told them about my previous experiences and unfortunately, this resort falls short of a 5 star resort that we had been told it would be. I was actually a little embarrased as my gift to my teens didn't live up to their expectations (but they kept that to themselves) which made us all just a little down for the first few days. But because of their positive spirits, we decided to leave the resort and do excursions which went very well....but that cost me extra. That cost was worth it because it made for a more exciting vacation. We recommend the Mayan Adventures and Sea Adventures for excursions.

Here are a few of the issues to be aware of:

1. There is no beach if you want nice long walks on the beach. There is a man made type of lagoon great for young children. I love walking on a beach so that was disappointing specifically to me. I guess the pictures are deceiving.

2. This is a resort that makes you feel second class if you have family members under 18 because there is an "adult" side and a "family" side. Those under 18 can't dine at any of the restaurants on the adult side, get their hair done, work out in the fitness centre, swim or go to the spa. But the adults from the adult side can dine in the family side, so basically if you have teens you have HALF the options of the whole resort. I can see why they do it, but then make sure you have things for teenagers to do or put a fitness centre and proper hair salon etcc in the Hacienda side as well. All in all, not really fair.

3. Credits : They offer nice credits towards things like spa treatments and such which is a great perk, but be aware that when you check out a 20% service fee on each thing you do will be added to your bill. We had one sad thing happen which was that my daughter (15 yrs old) was booked to have her hair washed & blowdried with a mani/pedi on New Year's Eve afternoon so she could feel special on New Year's Eve. It was booked for 3:30pm only to find out the "child" spa was closed and they couldn't honour the appt. why did they make the appt in the first place if they knew it would closed on Dec 31st. It added to the disappointment of not being allowed in the spa or hair salon on the adult side. Then I was charged the service charge when I checked out for something that didn't even happen. The check out guy couldn't take the service charge off my bill because it was done at a different desk. Bad service etiquette when they knew it was not an 'opinion' but the truth that could easily be corroborated.

4. Every day, there were hardly any seats by the pool. People hijack the seats overnight. I don't know when because I once got up at 6am to see what was going on and almost all the seats were taken even that early Holidays should allow us to also sleep in a little after working hard all year, but I ended up getting up early every morning so I could get 3 seats for me and my teens...until we decide just to leave the resort on excursions and save our vacation.

5. Food - not 5 star but not bad like Cuba. On the family side, the Japanese steakhouse was great and fun but you have to wait about an hour to get a seat. Mexican restaurant - wait was 45 minutes. buffet restaurants were ok, but not enough salad makings and good fruit to stay healthy. Pizza place ...ok. Did the lobster dinner on the beach. They treated others better than us probably because I had teens with me.

6. Tipping - I've been to lots of resorts and I was suprised to see how much tipping was going on and how inadequate that made me feel. I didn't bring a lot of cash because I knew I was going to an all-inclusive and would just tip at the end if things were great. I didn't want to lug a purse around with me which is always the joy of an all-inclusive to be frank and yet everyone was tipping and getting better service because of it. There also seemed to be VIP's or another form of class division because there were reserved seats etc... and again that's difficult to deal with when you've paid a lot to be there and yet it's again, divisive instead of inclusive.

7. Spa - not bad but not sure if they are all qualified to be massage therapists. I think it depends on who you get.

8. No hot tubs : what???? My teens were really looking forward to warm evenings in the hot tub becasue every other resort I've ever been to has hot tubs near the pools...but there were no hot tubs that I could find.

9. Nothing special on Christmas Day...too bad. We missed Christmas dinner and didnt have anything special to mark the day while we were away. I just assumed they would have had some special fiesta that day. I was wrong...my bad.

10. Cleaning - they basically just made our beds and cleaned the bathroom every day but some days didn't come til late in the day which is hard when you're trying to get changed for the evening. Also, most 5 star hotels do fun things like make towels into swans and silling things like that but it is a nice touch. We were lucky that it at least got cleaned somewhat.
One really annoying thing was that 4 nights out of 7, the service person would pick up all the room service plates on our floor at 3:40am and clink the plates so loud for about 15 minutes and woke us all up because it echoes through the hallway. We ended up joking about it and making bets as to whether he would come by and wake us up that night. Please tell the staff to pick up the plates either in the evening or the morning so as not to wake everyone up.

11. Hard to know what's happening every day. If you don't search it out, you'd never know. Other resorts have a daily schedule poster that you can find out what's happening and plan your day accordingly.

12. New Year's Eve : I'll end on a positive note. They did a really good job making New Year's Eve fun. The dinner was in the convention centre and the band there was fantastic, the food was great and the acrobats were very talented. wonderful entertainment. The outside in the "woodstock" area, they had a party area set up with a dance floor and interesting entertainers doing things throughout the crowd ending with some fireworks and a not so good band but it didn't really matter. We ended having a lot of fun. If they had something like that EVERY night ending earlier so it's not too loud for people wanting to sleep, it would have been much more fun every night for those that wanted to listen to a band and dance or watch entertainers by the sea. AND it would have been more like the brand they are named after ....THE HARD ROCK....

All in all, we are positive people believe it or not and this is my first time writing on trip advisor only because I was so disappointed. The kids never once complained and enjoyed the excursions and the New Year's Eve party, the warm air and our family time. I just wish the resort had lived up to how it was recommended to me by my travel agent....but I"ll take that up with her.

I'll be back to Mexico but not to this resort, that's for sure. Too bad!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Joce H

Dear guest,

This office is aware of your dissatisfaction. Your comments are much appreciated. I am especially concerned to provide our guests the best rock star experience through the music and rock and roll attitude. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I extend my most sincere apologies and a cordial invitation to visit us again and give us the opportunity to change your perception of our resort. I will have a specialist contact you via private message to address your concerns and I assure you that I will be personally on top of the situation.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked this hotel when it was still Aventura Spa, not knowing Hard Rock was purchasing the property. We were worried after reading the reviews re: construction, but it wasn't as bad as people made it seem. Sure there were things not yet completed, but the food and alcohol were great! All very top notch. (Crown Royal, Absolute etc.) We used our "Resort Credits" for the Romantic Dinner and the Chef's Dinner. Very disappointed in the Chef's Dinner. We were lead to believe it was a private dinner which ended up to be with 100 of our closest friends!!! That was only time the food did not overwhelm. I gave this hotel a 3 because it was so loud. Music always blaring and walls so thin you can hear everything. One evening we tried to find a table to play cards as a family and couldn't find anywhere that you could see and hold a conversation! They have about 6 restaurants that are all al a carte and no reservations needed. Only one time that we could not get into a restaurant and just moved to a different one with no wait. Don't go here if you are looking for a beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BeachLover081

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am aware of your dissatisfaction and concerned to address your observations as it is our goal to provide the best rock star experience that sets us apart. We are doubling efforts to please all of our guests and meet the expectations. I would like to invite you to come back and give us the opportunity to renovate your perception of our service. I will have a specialist contact you via private message to address your concerns and I assure you that I will be personally on top of the situation.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We've stayed at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya in December 2013. The resort is brand new and used to be the Aventura Palace. We really liked this resort and the "theme"/atmosphere it had: playful and relaxing.
currently (December 2013) the resort is 90% done, and the rest is still under renovations. They have done AMAZING job renovating this place and making it a first class resort. the only parts of the resort that are still being renovated are two buildings at the Heaven (adults only) section. If you stay anywhere near there you might get dust in your room and hear some of the construction noise. HOWEVER, anywhere else on this GIANT resort is VERY quiet and highly recommended!!!

don't get discouraged by the negative reviews, I'm married to a travel agent and I know that every new hotel (in this size and caliber) have some negative reviews in the opening months since not everything is ready. If you go anytime between now (January 2014) and February 2014 expect some minor works on the Heaven (adults only) side.

The facilities: the resort is beautiful with huge grounds and gardens. the whole resort is on the ocean and has many separated beaches, for kids, teens, adults, seclusion and quiet beaches, etc. The lobbies of both Hacienda and Heaven are STUNNING, the design and attention to details is very high and we liked it very much! There are many pools and they are so big that you don't even notice that the resort is fully booked! There is also a very fun water slide (in the dark!!) and teens love it. Have to admit that I used it a couple of times too and LOVED it :)

The rooms: The rooms are a bit on the small side, however have enough space for everything. All the rooms have a double Jacuzzi in the room (very fun!) and a hammock on the balcony (amazing perk). The shower is enormous, can fit two (or three) people at the same time.
the rooms are VERY clean and there is a turn-down service which I love.
There is a fully stocked mini bar with premium liqueur in the room, the stock it twice a day (DRINK UP!)

The Food: FANTASTIC, AMAZING, EXCELLENT, 5 STARS. Can't say better things about it! They have 10 a-la cart restaurants in the resort and you can use any restaurant either in the adult or family section no problems! Our favorites were: Zen (Asian restaurant) with Hibachi style cooking (so much fun!), Ipanema (Brazilian) rodizio style that they bring the mean to the table and cut it in front of your eyes, they have 10 different types of meat, and Frida (Mexican) amazing and delicious Mexican authentic food!
the only down side is breakfast. I found it very small and not appealing, very basic and crowded since there is only one buffet option. At times the buffet was empty and not restocked properly...

The beach: so this resort used to be the Aventura Palace before and didn't really have sand beaches. The resort is basically in a cove, meaning, that the beach is not completely open to he ocean. Let me explain, there is a row of huge rocks in the water separating the actual ocean from the beach, which created a cove. The beaches are man-made so they have beautiful white clean sand. We liked it a lot that there no waves due to the cove and it's also very good for kids.
There are a lot of cabanas and comfy chairs on the beach!

I highly recommend this resort that might become one of the best in Mexico!
Enjoy your vacation!!!

Room Tip: If staying at the Hacienda side (family) rooms in building 9 are very quiet and far from the lobby. If staying on the Heaven side (adults only) rooms in building 1 or 2 are the best. Make sure you get rooms facing the gardens/pools/ocean and not the back of the resort.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elad D
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Hello Elad D,

Thank you so much for your kind review from your experience at Hard Rock Hotel Rivier Maya, I am thrilled to read such kind words describing our facilities, amenities, and food & beverage offer that overall helped to create memorable vacations for you and your loved ones.

Hope to see you back very soon and have the chance to "Rock" your holidays again.

Best regards,
René Malacara

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I spent our 40th wedding anniversary at this resort since we have visited at least two weeks each year since it opened. We were shocked and very upset to learn upon our arrival that the resort was basically a construction zone! If anyone had had the decency to tell us the
status of the renovations prior to our arrival, we would have made reservations at another resort. Each day, remodeling started with loud electric saws at 8 am and continued until 7 pm. Even the previously quiet beach area was filled with the noise of sawing.

During past meetings with representatives of the new company, we were assured that management understood the peaceful nature of a spa resort and that it would be maintained. It was a great surprise to us to hear the loud music in the lobby, the hallways of section one, and during breakfast. We learned from staff that the company was interested in attracting a different clientele which would embrace the loud music and new culture.

The previous earth tone colors of the resort were appealing, soothing and appropriate for the environment. Changing to the new royal blue tones is offensive. And, the headboard in each room is cheap looking and ugly. Not having a bathroom with a full sized door is another annoyance. We dined in the new French restaurant on our last night and were unimpressed with the re-modeled wall covering. And, we learned that the gorgeous indoor pool is being turned into a disco!

If you're looking for a relaxing spa vacation, go somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryPat105
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Esteemed MaryPat105,

Thank you for bringing your dissatisfactions to our attention. This office is aware of your observations and we are concerned about your satisfaction as I am personally monitoring our guests' reviews. I will have a specialist contact you via PM to follow up on your concerns.