“Our 20th at Hard Rock Riviera”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The reviews we read before just days before heading back to the Hard Rock Riviera almost deterred us from going. WOW, are we glad we didn't miss our week!!! It was spectacular! We had been here 10 years earlier when it was the Spa Palace and had the time of our lives. We wanted our 20th Anniv to be spent back here. The STAFF was unbelievably friendly and helpful! The food and drinks were stupendous! The Spa was AMAZING! There was construction to deal with but everyone was VERY CONSCIOUS of our time and keeping space between us and where work was being done. A few smells and noises but all toward the ultimate progress and none that interrupted our week. WE LOVED OUR STAY and can't wait to get back next year:) Thank you Hard Rock Riviera!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos
6  Thank Tim H
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Hello Tim H,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others, I am glad to read that your anniversary was to your expectations and a memorable stay due to the hard work from our staff; Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya strive to provide a "Rockstar" class service to every incoming guest and seems that we made it with you.

Hope to see you back very soon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Best regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I and 2 girls ages 10 & 7 travelled to Mayan to stay at the HRH for dec 31st - jan 9th we were previously booked at a different resort but decided at the last minute to change our plans to be able to join our friends who had decided to book at the newly what we thought renovated and opened HRH!!!!! Boy was that a big mistake!!!!! I have never experienced such terrible customer service from management of a hotel in my life and we travel at least twice a year to a all- inclusive resort and have been for the last 10 yrs!!!! Room #1 in the construction zone which we had request ahead of time not to be in constant jack hammering during early mornings and through out the day took 4 days untill someone would listen to our concerns and move us!!! Room #2 lasted one night untill the roof caved in and water was pour out of the lights in the ceiling!!!! Room #3 didn't start off great walked into water everywhere couldnt figure out where it was coming from. air onditioner made horrendous noises every 10 mins so the first night sleepness untill maintenance could fix the following day unfortunately the wall are not soundproof and I assume we had a couple on there honeymoon next next to us our children were very curious about the noises this was alarming and embarrassing again more sleepless nights!!!! Very disappointed in the lack of amenities had to call for enough towels on several different days as well as we had to call for our room to be cleaned on several different days after being gone for the day as we waited on the balcony which pushed our plans for those evenings out even further!!! My experience at the spa was terrible staff was rude and argumentative with me telling me I had missed my appointment!!!! When I hadn't my service left me in excruciating pain and swollen the next day!!!! The property had a terrible sewage smell while walking thru the hallway back to our room which my 7yr would comment on every time!!!! The floors were very dangerous they were continuously wet and slippery I lost my footing more than once!!! I will give kudos to There restaurant Zen it was fabulous the teppanyaki cooks are fantastic!!!! And the Brazilian restaurant was very good as well!!!! We are booked at another HRH property in april 2014 and I am very nervous about this reservation and are question wether or not we should cancel!!!! Because we travel so frequently I can honestly say that this resort is not even close to being ready for HRH quality!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Carol K
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to have fallen short your expectations. We are working tirelessly to reach our high standards and provide the epic service that sets us apart. I will have a specialist contact you through a private message to follow up and address your concerns.

René Malacara Coss

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We feel that we paid top dollar to stay in a resort that wasn't near completion. There were many services that lead us to choose this particular resort that were not available during our stay such as guitar in your room, discotheque with pool, zip line to the ocean bar, etc... In addition we had to put with construction thru out the resort including noise and numerous workers and we feel that under these circumstances a reduced rate should have been offered. But the company did absolutely nothing to compensate us for all these inconveniences. This resort has potential but I would avoid it until renos are done.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos
3  Thank Stacey Z

Hello Stacey Z,

Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, as your travel destination. I appreciate your comments and feedback regarding the perception of our services and on behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, let me offer you the most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your visit.

Clearly we did not cover your expectations, thus your experience helps us as a tool to pin point our opportunity areas and resolve them promptly and efficiently to avoid situations like these to our future visitors. I will give the appropriate follow-up to ensure satisfaction level.

Once again we are grateful for sharing your experience with us.

Best Regards.

Hard Rock Mayan Rivera review

I tend to take all tripadvisor reviews with a grain of salt because you never know what type of person wrote it. Some are more particular than others, which ends up with a really negative review on something minuscule. So to begin, I am generally a very laid back, care free person. Not much bothers me. So with that, you can take this review as you will. My boyfriend and I booked the heaven side of Hard Rock Mayan Riviera for January 10th to January 17th. We only ended up staying at the resort for one night before requesting a transfer. Everything in this review is reference to the Heaven side of the hotel.

Renovations - if you are a particular person who wants everything to be just so - this hotel is not for you. At least not for the next 4-6 months. At that point it may be great. They will tell you construction is almost done. It is not. From my observations, I'd say more than half of the rooms are incomplete. They are working on them, but when I asked in December how far they were - I was told they were almost done. Our room was right beside a section being worked on. They start at 8:30 am and finish around 6:30-7:30 pm. We had planned on asking for a upgraded room, but there was literally no rooms ready to upgrade to. The hotel lobby is empty of almost any memorabilia. The rock shop isn't open. The dance club (which I hear is slated for a February opening) is FAR from being complete. Unfortunately, the blocks of rooms not done are also right beside the pool - so you end up hearing the table saw all day if you choose to hang by the pool. Which brings me to my next point....
The Beach - we went to this resort knowing about the lagoon and thought we'd be ok with it based on the photos we saw. My boyfriend and I are both big beach fans, more than hotel pools. This lagoon/beach area left quite a bit to be desired. If you are a beach person, do not go - you will not be ok with the lagoon. The sand is mushy on the bottom and there are unseen rocks that are scattered underneath. Also - the swim up ocean bar doesn't exist. There is no easily accessible bar from the lagoons. You have to get out and walk up to a platform gazebo. This would be totally fine if it wasn't initially advertised as having a swim up ocean bar. If you are looking for calm water and easy swimming, this would work. Also - considering the hotel was less than half full on the Heaven side - the beaches were pretty full. I'm not sure how they will hold a full house.
Staff - the staff was amazing. Very helpful. And the cover band by the pool playing classic rock was something to see.

Over all - we were obviously less than impressed. We paid the most I have ever spent on a vacation - and it was no where near worth it. If we had paid a few hundred less, we would have stayed without complaint. But that was not the case. It was/is not a 5 star hotel yet. I'm not sure how much progress they've made since we left, but after taking into account their status update in December saying they were almost done and what we saw- my guess is not much. The Hacienda side was done and looked great...however - considering there is a premium cost for Heaven side, I was disappointed that it seemed to be considered less of a priority.

I do commend Hard Rock for their awesome customer service by having us moved to Cancun after our travel agent spoke to them. The Cancun location is just incredible. Beautiful views, great staff, amazing beach. All the restaurants were good, especially Ipanema - which never seemed busy, but is definitely worth a visit.

Hopefully this was helpful. Good luck!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank CourtsTravels

Hello Court G,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us; like you, many others have shared their experiences and all that information is helping more travelers to make informed decisions regarding their travel destination.

Make sure your review will be personally followed up regarding Renovation and services, thus encouraging them to give their best to all our visitors.

Hope to see you back very soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Hard Rock in Riviera Maya was a great choice for our family of 9!

Service: The service was excellent and was above and beyond what we were expecting. We have gone to all inclusive before, and were never treated so well! Diana was always there to see if we needed anything by the pool and the entertainment staff (Ceasar, Jairo, and Jack) were exceptional! They were very engaging and fun to hang out with!

Room: We had a room with a huge bathroom, king size bed (so comfortable), one balcony off the main level and a top floor balcony with jacuzzi tub and view of the ocean! Our bar fridge was filled daily and the rooms were always clean. The shower was also so nice and very roomy!

Location: The mayan riviera location was great because it was so relaxing and seemed secluded! We visited the cancun hotel hard rock one day, and much preferred mayan rivera location! The cancun location is filled with more teenagers, and had more of a party-life atmosphere.

Food: The food was the best part of the trip! Each night we went to a different restaurant (with no reservations needed) and every night was fabulous!!! The food was always unique and different and the servers were entertaining. The Brazilian and Zen restaurants were our favourite!

Drinks: The swim up bars and tiki bars were great! Ivan at the martini bar in particular was pretty awesome! He was lighting drinks and the bar on fire, and making lots of shots and different types of drinks for us!

Spa: The spa was amazing! The girls and I used our resort credits, and we got massages, manicures and pedicures, facials, and chocolate body wraps. It was a once in a lifetime kind of experience and the staff made you feel so comfortable!

I would recommend this resort to anyone! The resort was still under construction, but it did not bother us a bit. We were mostly on the heaven side of the resort, but even when we went to the other side, it was fine! Despite the construction, this was the best all inclusive we've ever been to!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hello Johanna C,

Thank you so much for a very comprehensive review I appreciated the detail invested within, I am proud to learn that our staff in general, provided the "Rockstar" Class Experience we take proud on. Make sure that all your comments and shootouts will be passed on to the team, it encourages us to keep up the good work.

Hope to see you back very soon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The resort and location are beautiful and the service was excellent. We travelled with a
large group and the resort had many amenities that catered to all of our needs. The Hard Rock experience is definitely fun and unique, providing a vibe unlike other resorts. I will travel again to other Hard Rock resorts due to this experience and other positive experiences that I have had at their other resorts.

Riviera Maya is about 45 minutes from Cancun so we did a day tip to enjoy a day on a catamaran. Other than this trip, we stayed on site at the resort and used the beach, the pool, the bars and restaurants, the spa, played basketball, volleyball, soccer, and used the gym.

The massage experience at the spa is like no other massage I have ever had. They utilized a specially designed speaker system during the massage that made you fully immersed within the soothing sound.

You should stay here if you plan to go to Mexico.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LeighMiles

Hello LeighMiles,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about you and your group experience, I am happy to learn that during your stay, our staff responded in a promptly manner and our food and beverage offer was to you and your group satisfaction; this is the result of hard work and passion that Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya staff delivers every day.

I hope to see you back soon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was there early in January. Weather was great, food great, staff was the best. My commendations to the management for having such a well oiled "staff machine". I would definitely return if the connections in and out were not so difficult. From the mid-Atlantic U.S., its a bit of a bugger to get there and back.
Oliver, Karla & Karla, Gabrielle, Hector, and some others i wish i could recall their names. Been traveling the Caribbean over 15 years and I'd rate this in my top 3.

Room Tip: We were on the ground near the pool and the Mexican Restaurant. I would love to have that room agai...