“Review With Advise Mixed In”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arcola, Illinois
“Review With Advise Mixed In”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

First let me say the resort is still under construction. I can't believe the people who gave this resort bad reviews based on their experiences of hammering and empty glass cases. Surely they read the reviews before going. But they wrote bad reviews when they got back anyway. I don't know. We stayed on the Hacienda (family) side which is complete except for a couple of shops that were not yet open. The Heaven (adults only) side is under construction for sure. Honestly, we were over there every day to either go to the hot tubs, spa, or dining and didn't notice the construction. It would probably be different if your room was over there, I don't know.
I gave this hotel 5 stars based upon my experiences with the staff, cleanliness, and my expectations of what the resort will look like when it is all done. Actually, in my opinion, it is not a 5 star yet only because of the construction. Word is everything will be completed by May 1.
All of the staff were absolutely amazing. How they can keep the smiles and great "can do" attitude up day after day dealing with tourists is beyond my comprehension. If I had to do their jobs, I would probably be in some Mexican prison right now. Ha! I hesitate to give a shout out to any employees because they were all great. However, I really enjoyed Carlo, Maria, Edgar, Gilberto, Carlos and Eric.
After dinner, we almost always went to the nightly shows. Really enjoyed the magic show, but I believe it is time for Michael Jackson to retire. Guess if you have never seen the show you might like it, but we were there 6 months ago and saw it, plus we saw basically the same show at a different resort.
Food was excellent at all restaurants. Wish they would put Heinz ketchup on the tables, but every place that we have been to in MX has the same nasty ketchup. I know, I'm getting picky now. Here is a tip. If you want something that is not on the menu, simply ask for it. Usually they can accommodate you. Also, we were at one of the restaurants and they served mashed potatoes. However, it was a very small portion. I just asked for more and they brought out a whole bowl full for our family to share. Wonderful! One more thing and this is important if you are traveling with kids under 18. I believe you can only eat at the restaurants at the Hacienda side. Having said that, our youngest is 20 so it was not a problem for us so I'm not sure that is an accurate statement. But if you are traveling with children I would advise you to check that out. If true then you need to find out what restaurants are where.
Pools were clean and huge. Water was a little cold, but we got in anyway. Water slide on the Hacienda side and a very nice pool area for the little tikes. Didn't go over to the Heaven side pool, but the last time we were there, they even had bands that played at the pool.
Beach area is very nice with lots of lounge chairs with cushions and tables with a thatch umbrella. You probably know that a big rock wall stops the ocean waves from coming in, but not the ocean water. If you like to snorkel, you don't have to go on a tour. There are lots to see right in the lagoon. You also don't have to worry about being in the food chain!
Great free internet throughout the hotel and pool area. You can even call the USA and Canada from your room free of charge.
They give you $1500 of resort credits to be used for tours, spa and other things. You don't have to use it, but if you do just be advised that you will be charged a 20% service fee. Still a pretty good deal, but I was disappointed because there used to be no fees. I would rather they gave you half that much and didn't charge the fees.
Night life could be a little better. One night they had a band in the Lobby bar which was nice. I am guessing it will get better especially on the adults side one construction is complete.
All in all, this is a beautiful resort. We have been to several other properties in MX and this ranks as one of the best in my book. A vacation is what you make of it, but I don't think you will be disappointed.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank RHoladay
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Hello RHoladay,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, indeed your perception will help many future travelers to take an informed decision, thus enjoying better vacation and expectancies fulfilled. Make sure I will personally pass on your kind words to mentioned staff encouraging them to keep up the good work.

Hope we have the honor to host you again at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,315)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have never gone to a Hard Rock establishment....never had the desire to. Hubby and I stayed at the Hard Rock in Riviera Maya (which is NOT the one in Cancun) because he had a sales conference there. Although it was under construction (noise starts around 9AM), it was a great place to stay. Rooms were clean and always stocked with beer/liquor. We also had a free bottle of wine.

I understand that room service is included with the all-inclusive package (which typically isn't included in any other AI resort we've stayed at)....but we didn't do room service.

The breakfast/lunch buffets were standard.....anything anyone wanted was available and always refilled. The options for dinner were fabulous! Fave spots were the French, Steakhouse and Italian. We also went to the Jap (which was typical fare in the US) and Spanish (unfortunately we didn't have regular menu options for this restaurant due to a large work party). The Sangria at the Spanish was AWESOME and a bottom-less glass!

It was gloomy and raining the week we were there (Jan 4th - 11th, 2014) but the staff was very accommodating to those that still ventured outside.

The rooms were comfy (we had a garden room with a peek at the beach) and the beds/pillows were nice, not hard like most high capacity AI resorts. WiFi (free) in the room was pretty good. I was able to do a lot of work in our room and had my phone with me on the beach with net access.

The hotel campus is H-U-G-E!!! We stayed at the Heaven side (adults only) and ventured to the Hacienda side (family) the first night. We got turned around, got lost for an hour and had to take a golf cart back to Heaven. We got our bearings the next day and walking between the 2 wasn't an issue. The grounds are beautiful (think Zen/spa gardens) with water features.

The only negative was there was no walking beach. They had a break-tide rock wall and simulated mini beach fronts...but you cannot walk on the actual beach.

Also, if you are ordering a daiquiri, make sure you ask for alcohol....not sure why a standard adult drink would be virgin, but they assume no alcohol unless you ask for it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank almosthomebr
Hello almosthomebr,

Thank you so much for a very comprehensive review I appreciated the detail invested within, and all your kind words describing not onlt the property, our food and beverage offer and the staff that works very hard day after day with the goal of providing wonderful experiences to our incoming guests.

Hope to see you back very soon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Batesville, Indiana
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We love the Hard Rock resorts. This one is just as nice as the others. Although under construction they did a very nice job of keeping the areas clean, you barely even noticed. Staff was EXCELLENT!!!!

1 Thank M K
Hello M K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review regarding your last stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya; I am happy to read your kind words about our property, it makes all the hard work worth it every second. Make sure that the whole staff will know about your experience.

Hope that you choose us again as your traveling destination.

Best Regards,
Gerneral Manager
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The reviews we read before just days before heading back to the Hard Rock Riviera almost deterred us from going. WOW, are we glad we didn't miss our week!!! It was spectacular! We had been here 10 years earlier when it was the Spa Palace and had the time of our lives. We wanted our 20th Anniv to be spent back here. The STAFF was unbelievably friendly and helpful! The food and drinks were stupendous! The Spa was AMAZING! There was construction to deal with but everyone was VERY CONSCIOUS of our time and keeping space between us and where work was being done. A few smells and noises but all toward the ultimate progress and none that interrupted our week. WE LOVED OUR STAY and can't wait to get back next year:) Thank you Hard Rock Riviera!!!

6 Thank Tim H
Hello Tim H,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others, I am glad to read that your anniversary was to your expectations and a memorable stay due to the hard work from our staff; Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya strive to provide a "Rockstar" class service to every incoming guest and seems that we made it with you.

Hope to see you back very soon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I and 2 girls ages 10 & 7 travelled to Mayan to stay at the HRH for dec 31st - jan 9th we were previously booked at a different resort but decided at the last minute to change our plans to be able to join our friends who had decided to book at the newly what we thought renovated and opened HRH!!!!! Boy was that a big mistake!!!!! I have never experienced such terrible customer service from management of a hotel in my life and we travel at least twice a year to a all- inclusive resort and have been for the last 10 yrs!!!! Room #1 in the construction zone which we had request ahead of time not to be in constant jack hammering during early mornings and through out the day took 4 days untill someone would listen to our concerns and move us!!! Room #2 lasted one night untill the roof caved in and water was pour out of the lights in the ceiling!!!! Room #3 didn't start off great walked into water everywhere couldnt figure out where it was coming from. air onditioner made horrendous noises every 10 mins so the first night sleepness untill maintenance could fix the following day unfortunately the wall are not soundproof and I assume we had a couple on there honeymoon next next to us our children were very curious about the noises this was alarming and embarrassing again more sleepless nights!!!! Very disappointed in the lack of amenities had to call for enough towels on several different days as well as we had to call for our room to be cleaned on several different days after being gone for the day as we waited on the balcony which pushed our plans for those evenings out even further!!! My experience at the spa was terrible staff was rude and argumentative with me telling me I had missed my appointment!!!! When I hadn't my service left me in excruciating pain and swollen the next day!!!! The property had a terrible sewage smell while walking thru the hallway back to our room which my 7yr would comment on every time!!!! The floors were very dangerous they were continuously wet and slippery I lost my footing more than once!!! I will give kudos to There restaurant Zen it was fabulous the teppanyaki cooks are fantastic!!!! And the Brazilian restaurant was very good as well!!!! We are booked at another HRH property in april 2014 and I am very nervous about this reservation and are question wether or not we should cancel!!!! Because we travel so frequently I can honestly say that this resort is not even close to being ready for HRH quality!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Carol K
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to have fallen short your expectations. We are working tirelessly to reach our high standards and provide the epic service that sets us apart. I will have a specialist contact you through a private message to follow up and address your concerns.

René Malacara Coss
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We feel that we paid top dollar to stay in a resort that wasn't near completion. There were many services that lead us to choose this particular resort that were not available during our stay such as guitar in your room, discotheque with pool, zip line to the ocean bar, etc... In addition we had to put with construction thru out the resort including noise and numerous workers and we feel that under these circumstances a reduced rate should have been offered. But the company did absolutely nothing to compensate us for all these inconveniences. This resort has potential but I would avoid it until renos are done.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

3 Thank Stacey Z
Hello Stacey Z,

Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, as your travel destination. I appreciate your comments and feedback regarding the perception of our services and on behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, let me offer you the most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your visit.

Clearly we did not cover your expectations, thus your experience helps us as a tool to pin point our opportunity areas and resolve them promptly and efficiently to avoid situations like these to our future visitors. I will give the appropriate follow-up to ensure satisfaction level.

Once again we are grateful for sharing your experience with us.

Best Regards.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Hard Rock Mayan Rivera review

I tend to take all tripadvisor reviews with a grain of salt because you never know what type of person wrote it. Some are more particular than others, which ends up with a really negative review on something minuscule. So to begin, I am generally a very laid back, care free person. Not much bothers me. So with that, you can take this review as you will. My boyfriend and I booked the heaven side of Hard Rock Mayan Riviera for January 10th to January 17th. We only ended up staying at the resort for one night before requesting a transfer. Everything in this review is reference to the Heaven side of the hotel.

Renovations - if you are a particular person who wants everything to be just so - this hotel is not for you. At least not for the next 4-6 months. At that point it may be great. They will tell you construction is almost done. It is not. From my observations, I'd say more than half of the rooms are incomplete. They are working on them, but when I asked in December how far they were - I was told they were almost done. Our room was right beside a section being worked on. They start at 8:30 am and finish around 6:30-7:30 pm. We had planned on asking for a upgraded room, but there was literally no rooms ready to upgrade to. The hotel lobby is empty of almost any memorabilia. The rock shop isn't open. The dance club (which I hear is slated for a February opening) is FAR from being complete. Unfortunately, the blocks of rooms not done are also right beside the pool - so you end up hearing the table saw all day if you choose to hang by the pool. Which brings me to my next point....
The Beach - we went to this resort knowing about the lagoon and thought we'd be ok with it based on the photos we saw. My boyfriend and I are both big beach fans, more than hotel pools. This lagoon/beach area left quite a bit to be desired. If you are a beach person, do not go - you will not be ok with the lagoon. The sand is mushy on the bottom and there are unseen rocks that are scattered underneath. Also - the swim up ocean bar doesn't exist. There is no easily accessible bar from the lagoons. You have to get out and walk up to a platform gazebo. This would be totally fine if it wasn't initially advertised as having a swim up ocean bar. If you are looking for calm water and easy swimming, this would work. Also - considering the hotel was less than half full on the Heaven side - the beaches were pretty full. I'm not sure how they will hold a full house.
Staff - the staff was amazing. Very helpful. And the cover band by the pool playing classic rock was something to see.

Over all - we were obviously less than impressed. We paid the most I have ever spent on a vacation - and it was no where near worth it. If we had paid a few hundred less, we would have stayed without complaint. But that was not the case. It was/is not a 5 star hotel yet. I'm not sure how much progress they've made since we left, but after taking into account their status update in December saying they were almost done and what we saw- my guess is not much. The Hacienda side was done and looked great...however - considering there is a premium cost for Heaven side, I was disappointed that it seemed to be considered less of a priority.

I do commend Hard Rock for their awesome customer service by having us moved to Cancun after our travel agent spoke to them. The Cancun location is just incredible. Beautiful views, great staff, amazing beach. All the restaurants were good, especially Ipanema - which never seemed busy, but is definitely worth a visit.

Hopefully this was helpful. Good luck!

11 Thank CourtsTravels
Hello Court G,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us; like you, many others have shared their experiences and all that information is helping more travelers to make informed decisions regarding their travel destination.

Make sure your review will be personally followed up regarding Renovation and services, thus encouraging them to give their best to all our visitors.

Hope to see you back very soon.

Best Regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!