“Muy Bueno.”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Muy Bueno.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

First, I want to offer a bit of perspective for some of the other less-than-stellar reviews. Nothing is going to meet everyone's standard of perfect - for example one person we spoke with actually complained about being upgraded (for free) to a room with a hot tub on the balcony, saying "What am I going to use that for? I would have rather just had a deck chair." WE would have been elated with a hot tub on a balcony. Food for thought.

That said, everyone I spoke to that had complaints were people who paid for fancier or upgraded rooms. Those seemed to be the ones where renovations are still "in progress." Our room was a standard issue, and we had no complaints or issues or construction problems at all. We were in Building 1. At first when we looked at the map, we were a little miffed about being "so far" from the action, but in reality it worked out wonderfully and it was (at most) a 15 minute walk on our 30-something year-old legs along the beach boardwalk from Building 1 to Building 9.

I cannot speak to the resort credits, spa, or normal on-site events/entertainment as we were there for a concert event. As I understand it, the company organizing the concert event had sanctions on everything from the music played at the pool to the non-existent dress code, so I cannot comment on things like dinner reservations or the normal crowd. Also, there wasn't a stitch of construction noise or otherwise that was going on while we were there. Could have been a product of the concert-organizing company regulations or otherwise, I'm not sure.

Some other quick comments:
-Favorite restaurants were Frida (the lamb = yum. Request Pamela, she is fantastic) and Zen, which does hibachi as well as table section with separate menu. I'm still bummed we didn't make it back a second time to try the Pad Thai on the separate menu! The wood-fired pizzas from the Pizzeta were fantastic and we only wished they served them during the day as well! Margherita pizza and calzone were especially good. Order a "Mayan Coffee" at Toro, they put on quite a show for you!
-The buffets were standard. I have read other reviews where people said they were BAD. I certainly wouldn't say BAD, I would say standard buffet food. I'm not a big meat eater, my husband is and he LOVED it - I wished for a bigger salad bar and more fruits and veggies and local food (tacos, enchiladas, etc).
-Free calls to United States from your room. Was nice to be able to call our kids without worrying about cell or wifi service dropping a call.
-The pools were great - not heated, so very refreshing on those hot days. Never had trouble getting a pool chair OR a towel OR a drink. The waterslide is fun for adults AND kids. I wish the hot tubs were warmer.. they were more like "warm tubs" - would have loved to sit in one and watch the sunset, but they were a little chilly for me once the sun went down.
-I wish the resort would consider a non-plastic wristband. On more than a few occasions, we scratched ourselves with them (even before I had a sunburn) :)
-We didn't experience problems hearing people in other rooms (so I'm not even sure if anyone was in the rooms surrounding ours) but we could hear noise from the hallway. Honestly, we just flipped the TV on to the automatic hotel channel that came on, which played a variety of rock music, and left it on all night. Set the tone for "Hard Rock" and also served as a bit of white noise.
-The service rocks. They were EVERYWHERE, even the most remote little corners of the resort had a bar and a happy bartender. I recommend the "Miami Vice," "Banana Monkey," and "Tropical Paradise with extra rum."

Room Tip: You can hear the ocean from rooms in building 1 that are closest to the water. This might be one of...
7 Thank pharmernicole
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Hello pharmernicole,

Thank you so much for a very comprehensive review I appreciated the detail invested within, it is our most powerful tool that helps pin point our strenghts and weaknesses and provide the according follow up, thus keep us as a reliable customer service.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Hope to see you back very soon.

Best Regards,
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,217)
Monument, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We booked in June of 2013 with friends to go to what used to be "Adventura Spa" - part of the Palace Resorts (I think) becoming Hard Rock. Apparently two brother owned Palace Resorts and one split off to start "Hard Rock" or that family of resorts. We are members of Palace Resorts (and are VERY pleased) but our friends have affiliations with both so she had a buy one week get one free booked under HARD Rock (important distinction apparently). When we booked for November 16, 2013 we were told it would be FINISHED and just after the grand opening. It was NOT ready AT ALL. At least 1/2 of the entire resort was under construction and this amazing 'spa' was horrible. The actual services (well the few that were available) were okay (service and people good) but there was no ambiance - you waited in long hall to be called back for services; the steam stuff wasn't available; no showers; you had to take a bus to get down to the construction area to get to the spa (which was actually a moving target - sometimes you went to one area and then other another!). Not all of the restaurants were open. People were miserable - BUT if you had booked through Palace they tried to relocate people but since we hadn't, we were stuck with staying. Our room was okay but our friends (members) had NO view. There were bugs in the room (those tiny gnat like things). Our friends had power out for a day or so too in their room. They actually put some people in rooms with leaks from ceilings in the buildings that were under construction. Sad and waste of a week of heart earned vacation. Rooms were small too.

Room Tip: You want a beach or pool view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ruth W
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hello Ruth W,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us and sharing your comments with us. We appreciate your observations and we don’t take them lightly. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, we offer you our most sincere apologies. We are working relentlessly to meet our high standards in quality and reach with the epic service that sets us apart. We have passed this information to our management team and we have taken proper action to prevent such inconveniences from happening in the future. We invite you to come back soon. We will be ready to treat you as a true rock star. We will contact you privately to follow up and address any dissatisfaction.
Love all, serve all.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Let's start with the positive. It's an amazing area, so much to do. Great staff, super friendly and really eager to help. The hotel and grounds are super clean. Big and nicely designed bathroom. Cool touch to have hammocks on the porch (note: if hammocks are your thing, you shouldn't get a corner room). Now onto the not so positive. The food was terrible. Really not good. My 7-year old son who has never met a hamburger he didn't like would not eat his hamburger. My husband confirmed they were nasty. Overall the quality was just really bad... super processed, low quality and no healthy choices at all. It would have been so nice to enjoy a real strawberry daiquiri vs. HighC artificial strawberry and crushed ice. The Mexican restaurant was just very ok... it's a shame that they can't rock their local food. I think an executive chef that's responsible for the overall quality of food at the resort would really help. Overall the grounds we're nice, but the craftsmanship was a little shoddy... lots of chipped paint and haphazardly repaired walls/pillars, etc. It just seems like there is an attention to detail that is missing here. For example, the duvet in our room was stained and the zipper was broken so the comforter was hanging out, which a housekeeper should be able to replace. They didn't have another one, by the way...we just didn't use it. Don't get me wrong, we had fun... but it certainly isn't a luxury resort. Too bad, as it has potential.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank nwgirl70
Hello nwgirl70,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, I appreciate your comments regarding our food 6 beverage offer since those are our most powerful tool to pin point our opportunity areas and I will personally follow up to reinforce our procedures so we can keep providing excellent service.

Hope to have the honor to host you again at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Best regards,
Fletcher, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently spent 5 days/4 nights at Hard Rock Riviera Maya as part of a music festival. I can not say enough about the good service and friendliness of the staff. Room service is available 24/7, the spa is devine, there are a LOT of dining options with no reservations needed, the bars are plentiful, there are premium liquors on tap in each room, swimming pools and hot tubs abound, and it is all inclusive WITH resort credits that can be used for services and excursions to nearby attractions. Servers are in every location to take your drink orders - as late as 3 or 4 in the morning. The only downside: there is no beach access. The ocean is beyond a rock barrier, but they have created white sandy lagoons to swim in. The beds could be a little more comfortable, but they are not awful. I never saw any insects of any kind. There are iguanas and monkeys walking here and there - kinda fun!

Room Tip: If you are going for concerts - get the concert courtyard rooms. You are steps away from the show...
4 Thank mattersfact2
Hello mattersfact2,

Thank you so much for your review, I appreciate much not only for sharing your experience, but for encouraging us to keep up with the service that you received and it helps other fellow travelers to have a better idea of how Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya delivers, so they can take a better and more informed decision regarding their travel destination. Make sure that all your comments will be passed on to the team.

Hope to see you back very soon at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Best Regards,
Goose Creek, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

If you don't have time to read this, stop right here. You should STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Here is the GOOD:
The understaffed staff did a wonderful job trying to accommodate the guests. We attended a 4-day Furthur concert event, and those in attendance universally praised the overworked staff.

There was plenty of top-shelf booze available wherever you were in the resort, (though not in my room, which is one of the things I paid an upgrade for). Staying slightly numb helped.

The BAD:
Check in-We arrived at the resort shortly after noon, then stood in lines (there were several in the process) for 7 hours. At the end of that ordeal, a bell boy was able to let us into our room, but we were not able to get a working key until midday on the second day of our trip. Approximately 30% of the promised resort

The room-Our room smelled moldy, probably from the water leak that continuously trickled down from the utility closet. A room swap was impossible; more than a dozen attendees were put up in a hotel 8 miles away due to someone's inability to count.

Despite being out of our room between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. every day of our trip, we received maid service only once in 6 days. The one time we did receive service she did not change our towels or even sweep our floor. A room service coffee pot sat in our room untouched for 5 days. We went in search of our own towels. I never saw a maid anywhere near the entire wing that included our room. Our mini-bar was never checked during our entire stay. The jacuzzi tub in our room had no stopper so you could not fill the tub. The front desk never sent anyone to check or fix it. Comically, the bathroom dual-sink vanity was plumbed with one faucet having cold water and one having only hot water. No, really! My wife and I both gashed our legs on the steel bed frame that extended 6 inches beyond the bed, but was oh so cleverly concealed by the bedspread.

It is rumored that they spent $80M on upgrades. I have no idea where that money went. The rooms were outfitted with old furniture, painted poorly, and in general disrepair. The same holds true for the general condition of the grounds; I witnessed no less than a half dozen people fall due to water leaks on the marble tile.

There are virtually no signs in the resort, and at no time were we provided a map of the premises. We walked to discover what the place had to offer. There is also no book in the room to show what restaurants/amenities were available. No menus, no hours of operation, nothing. There was a room service menu with approximately 5 items. Another perk of my room category was an expanded room service menu. When we called to place an order, we were informed that the service wasn't available yet.

The food-There was more than a 90 minute wait at every a la carte restaurant by 6:00 p.m. and no reservations were accepted. We quickly figured this out so we'd run to a restaurant as soon as they opended at 5:00-ish so we would only wait for 30-45 minutes. The restaurants in particular were severely understaffed; we often waited more than 15 minutes to get coffee or be acknowledged in the all-you-can-eat buffet, which is your only dining option for breakfast and lunch each day. There are three AUCE buffets on the property. All of them have the same uninspired menu, featuring the same item selection each and every day. Had they made any attempt to season any of the food, it might have been on a par with Applebees. The same goes for the order-off-the-menu restaurants. We waited forever, the food wasn't very good, and even the entrees were served on salad plate-sized dishes. Think tapas, without flavor. At Zen, we were part of the comedy as the waitstaff got every single order wrong or delivered to the wrong table. We laughed along with the tables to the left and right of us as we traded food to get it right. Someone thinks that if you have Boursin on 5 or 6 menu items, you are a French restaurant. Le Petit Couchon was horrible, and there wasn't a single French food item on the menu. Twice, our entrees arrived before our salads or appetizer. We asked to see the wine list, but were never provided options other than red, or white (our room category was also to have featured expanded wines for dinner and red wine in our room).

Room credits-This is some kind of scam. Due to the length of our stay, we w ere given $750 USD in room credits. When we inquired about how and where to use them, we were ushered to a vacation planner. The long and short of it is that it's a compete scam. You have to pay to use the credits, and there was not a single amenity, excursion, spa treatment, or souvenir that could be bought with them.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop here. To be perfectly frank, I would have stayed in a tent on the beach to see the 4 night run of concerts in such an idyllic setting, but I paid for quite a different experience. This is a Hard Rock hotel in name only. None of our expectations of quality or service were met.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gagoandgaga
Hello gagoandgaga,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is very helpful to us and we appreciate that you bring them to our attention. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, we offer you our apologies for the inconveniences found during your stay at our resort. Please be ensured that we don’t take your observations lightly and we have passed this information to our management team in order to take corrective actions and address such dissatisfactions. We are eager to serve you as you deserve and we would like to change your perspective. We will be contacting you privately to follow up and to address these observations in a proper manner.
Love all, serve all.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

the buildings are recently renovated and the grounds are gorgeous. Service is great and people are so friendly. The food is atrocious, barely eatable, but I mean i didnt go there for the food. One Big Holiday was so awesome.

1 Thank Ryan P
Hello Ryan P,

Thank you so much for sharing your latest experience at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya; your remarks help us improve our opportunity areas in order to keep a high level of satisfaction among our beloved guests. I will personally follow up with the information available and the channels used for its distribution.

I hope to see you back soon and have the chance to create more wonderful memories with your family.

Best Regards.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was quite nervous that the resort was going to be sloppily thrown together and there would be constant construction the whole time after reading some reviews. This was not the case at all. I stayed from 1/26 to 1/30 and had a freaking blast. The pools were great. The beaches were nice. The staff was awesome. The rooms all have stocked fridges (with Dos Equis and Tecate Light - you won't find any other brands) and liquor dispensers as well. When we drank all the beer in the fridge, we simple picked up the phone, dialed 0 and more beer was delivered in minutes. I stayed in building 5, which is right on the center courtyard.

The food was honestly not great, but I did not go to any of the actual restaurants. We mostly ordered room service and ate at the buffets.

I would not normally go to an all-inclusive resort, its just not my style. But when your favorite band is playing in paradise for 4 nights, you make some exceptions. Couldn't have had a better time (well, maybe if the food was a tad better).

Check-in/check-out was a breeze. The swim-up bar was probably my favorite part of the daytime activities.

Room Tip: I stayed in Building 5, right on the courtyard. Since I was there for a concert which was in the co...
7 Thank Ryan B
Hello Ryan B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review regarding your last stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya; I am thrilled to read your kind words about our special events and entertainment; it makes all the hard work worth it every second. Make sure that the whole staff will know about your experience.

Hope that you choose us again as your traveling destination.

Best Regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,136 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,731 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,610 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,911 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,986 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,633 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!