“Good all inclusive property but rooms are average”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Delhi
“Good all inclusive property but rooms are average”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is a Good all inclusive property but rooms are average. the rooms remind me of a 3-4 star hotel, kind small and akward. not much can be said for the room decor. the biggest issue is the 2nd building of heaven has a cellphone reception issue. unless you walk out of the building to the adjoining road, the mobile doesnt work. and be ready to walk around a lot since each restaurant, bar, pool etc are quite a distant from the rooms. the restaurants are good and serve good meals and drinks. we booked directly and not thru a timeshare etc.

1 Thank skhemka
René M, Gerente at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi skhemka,

Thank you very much for the review. We try our best to accommodate the requests of all our guests, and we are glad that we could meet your expectations this time. We love that you enjoyed our all-inclusive concept and that our cuisine and drinks were of your taste. Our Rock décor and atmosphere aren’t for everyone, but we thank you for giving us a try. We hope to welcome you again very soon to provide you with another Rock Star experience. ALL IS ONE.

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,276)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Im very disappointed in some of the other reviews. My husband and both agreed those people must be SUPER high maintenance. We are also palace members and also bought at the Hard Rock. I think the Hard Rock has made many needed improvements. The grounds are being maintained constantly. Someone is always painting, sweeping or polishing something. The service as far as drinks and food was spectacular with one minor issue but it was a wrong place at wrong time situation and staying for 7 days and eating at a restaurants for each meal? One incident? Pretty great for me. We had 4 adults and two girls ages 10 and 13. Did I mention it was prime spring break?
They tried to get us to the timeshare sell thing and the value would have paid for our trip to xel-ha, however, I already own and will not be purchasing anything. But for those that would like a free full day excursion that is awesome? The 2 hour tour might be a good trade off. Yes, they are pushy and try very hard but $400 value in exchange for a sales pitch? But not this year.
I was a little disappointed that they put my mom and dad into a parking lot view room that smelled musty. Really, that was there only chance to sell them and they ruined that. I did mention this to my concierge but nothing was done about it since we choose to not attend the presentation.
The food was decent for all inclusive serve many food. We enjoyed the Japanese cook in front of you restaurant. The Mexican restaurant has very high quality meals as well when you get tired of buffet stuff My kids love the pool pizza and burger bar.
I never thought the slushy drinks had enough rum in them so I opted for beer, shots of tequila and rum and coke. It worked fine and probably less calories.
The beach and shoreline have had a huge makeover and is very nice. It is a cove, not actual shoreline like cancun but is still very nice and allows for snorkeling exploration and kayaking. There is also a rope across the cove for kids to traverse. And a nice water slide right in the middle of the pool.
I think the capacity was greatly reduced because it appears many rooms are still being remodeled. This was fine for me because there were always papalas and beach and pool chairs available.
I am already planing to go back next March. I recognize many of the workers, everyone really tries to do their very best and I love the reply, "It is my pleasure."
My fair skinned daughter did get very sunburned, I am not a fan of the spray sunscreen any longer. That put a huge damper on our trip so be warned. The sun is sun is very harsh for our fair Minnesota skin.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Kimberly J,

It is my pleasure to be at your service, we at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya are glad that you and your family enjoyed the facilities, our staff works very hard every day to provide a “rock star” class service to all our guests and to turn their vacations into rocking memories.

We’ll be waiting for you here, stage ready for next year and arms open to rock it again!
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Checked in on Saturday March 22nd, reserved a room with two double beds. Was told upon check in that the room was not available. Asked to speak with manager, who is named Xaviar. The most rude and uncaring individual I've ever met. Rather than trying to accommodate guests, he just provided use with excuses. Told use we could have a cot moved into our room......really.....I did not pay this money to sleep in a cot! We were told we could be moved the next day, again, no Xavier and more excuses....
Finally, we got our room with 2 double beds.....a day later.
Pool service (i.e. Bar service is slow)......learned today to tip high in the am and you get served all day.

Restaurants equal to any other all inclusive I've stayed at.

Biggest downfall is front desk service, they just don't care, and Xavier lacks any customer service skills and simply does not care about the customers.

Just passed him on the walk over to Heaven for the chef dinner and he looked towards the ground to avoid eye contact.

Think they are working on creating the Hard Rock experience, start with customer service being number 1.

Room Tip: When you request two double beds, understand its only a request and not a guarantee
5 Thank jeannepic
René M, Director General at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear jeannepic,

This office is aware of your dissatisfaction; I am personally concerned about your experience at our resort; On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Cancun I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your visit.
I would like to have the opportunity to change your perspective about our service and facilities. A manager is looking for you to rectify this situation and I can assure you I will be personally monitoring the situation.

Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Best regards,

Whitestown, Indiana
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We (a group of 7 adults in our 30's) stayed at Hard Rock Hotel in the Riviera Maya the week of 3/15. This was probably my 6th trip to the resort, but the first since it was re-branded as the Hard Rock. I didn't know what all had changed and was a little nervous. We always loved the property as a Palace resort, so I was afraid it would lose something in translation.

My worries were totally unfounded. The resort has only gotten better overall!

Room--we stayed in a double room (there were three of us) on the ground floor. Overlooked the ropes course and sitting at an angle I could see the ocean so I was happy! The rooms are appointed well with a Hard Rock theme. The stocked fridge with beer, water, juice and soda is still there as are the 4 liquor bottles. Flat screen TV with a mix of English and Spanish channels. The bathrooms are a little open concept. Probably my only "complaint". The bathrooms were very nice (great big shower and double sink), but the toilet doesn't have an actual door that closes. It is just a frosted door that doesn't got all the way to the ceiling. So not exactly private, especially if it's a couple that is in that part of their relationship when they like to pretend that they don't, well, you know.

Pools and lagoons--great pools as always. We never really had trouble finding a chair, though getting one close to the bar required getting down there a little early. They do activities all day (water polo, dance lessons, volleyball, quiz games, etc). My favorite was the improvements to the lagoons. There is no traditional beach, but there are amazing lagoons that have man-made beaches. They improved the quality of the beach in my opinion by making it zero entry (instead of rock steps into the water). They also added amazing cabanas and a pier with cabanas. It was so relaxing to lay down on the beach and hang out in the water while being served drinks! I took my snorkel gear and did see some fish and a sting ray. Nothing major, but still fun.

Food--the food was good for most meals. We had a couple duds at Toro and the Market Place. However, the Asian restaurant was great and the addition of the hibachi grill adds a fun "event" dinner. The Tapas restaurant was really good as well. Lunch was solid either at the buffets or the pool bar. For a treat make your way over to the Hacienda side for the wood fired pizza. Breakfast remained my favorite meal--love the omelette bar. Room service was good and timely.

Bar--lots of higher end alcohol--Captain Morgan, Crown Royal, etc. Not all bars have all varieties, so just scope it out and see what you like.

Service--service was great, as usual. Friendly, helpful staff who always had a smile.

Excursions--took one we booked through the planners in the lobby. It was a catamaran trip to Isla Mujeres. It was GREAT!

Spa--I used my resort credits and booked a Ocean Breeze massage which was a 50 minute massage out in one of the cabanas out by the water. Unfortunately, the day of my appointment it was windy and cloudy so they asked if I wanted to do it inside or reschedule. I opted to just do it inside and had a great massage. Did the hydrotherapy before my massage--the sauna was nice, the steam room needed some eucalyptus in my opinion, and the whirlpools were a little cooler than I'd like. Overall relaxing though. But I do think the spa could use some TLC in some of the fixtures, but still overall very nice.

Nightlife--the week we were there, they opened a brand new lounge off the Heaven lobby. It is GREAT! Amazing couches, huge bar, and very nicely appointed! Then a couple days later, they opened the night club. It looked like it was not quite done, but VERY cool. A pool in the middle of it (not sure if it's staying) but more couches and swanky feel! Very Hard Rock!

We stayed on the Heaven side which is a no brainer for me (no kids). We wandered over the Hacienda side a couple nights for dinner, but especially now that the lounge and night club are open, less reason to leave the Heaven side.

Other stuff--they have Wi-Fi through out the resort. We had strong signals until the last day and a half and then couldn't get it in the room. But strong around the pool and in the lobby all the time. There is still a little bit of renovating going on, but in no way did it impact us. Some of the rooms are still being redone and they are putting some finishing touches on things, but again, no negative impacts at all. It was a mixed crowd of ages. We had a huge group of spring breakers there for the first few days and folks our age and older. If you don't like the music around the pool bar, there are quieter spots all over

Like I said, even after lots of previous visits, was very pleased and had a great vacation. Four of our friends had never been, read some reviews and were worried, and got there and loved it! They even said "What were the people talking about who reviewed this place poorly!?!" Great place overall.

Room Tip: We were in building 4--great location to the pool and the Hacienda side. Great central location!
1 Thank iamthepitts
René M, Gerente at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hi there “iamthepitts”,

Nothing rocks our world more than reading reviews like yours and learning that you all had and amazing time with us. Thank you so much for your great comments, these mean a lot to us and keep us motivated to continue working hard to achieve every guest’s satisfaction. We cannot wait to welcome you again soon for another Rock Star vacation.
ALL IS ONE.

Kalkaska, Michigan
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed at the hard rock in March and had mixed reviews. The service is amazing .. the beach has improved greatly ...the slide is a nice touch ...........now the negative ..we have been members for 10 years ...and the benefits have changed ALOT ...I didn't feel the same "love" we once did with this trip ...the resort keep telling us you can use your credits to upgrade to better things ..BEFORE this was automatic with your membership ...and the credits now are very limited where you can use them ..and don't forget the 20% you have to pay when you do use them...very disappointing!! We pay thousands to go to a great resort we don't want to think of anything negative ...but this was the first time we were very unhappy ... I hope this helps the resort because we love the PALACE RESORTS and the changes are not better .

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Kalkaska2,

I would to thank you for sharing your personal perception of our resort. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations this time. It is also important to mention that our Resort Credits promotion has grown and is still a great attraction for guests who book their holidays on our properties, due to this reason; it has evolved with new inclusions, extended booking periods and taking on a new name as LIMITLESS RESORT CREDIT. Because of this evolution, a service fee of 20% on services and products included in the Limitless Resort Credit promotion, will apply.
It is important to note that this nominal fee is intended to offset our various partners and support the staff that has joined the Limitless Resort Credits promotion like, tours, photography and beauty salon services. I wish I could have the opportunity to welcome you again in future vacations to Mexico. Should you decide to come back please don’t hesitate to contact us in advance so we can ensure you receive the Rock Star treatment you deserve. ALL IS ONE

Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 26 March 2014

After reading many reviews on here, I was a little nervous about my vacation! But, I must say, I loved every second of it! The views were wonderful, the people were so friendly, and it was overall a wonderful trip. I would say the only downfall was at first it took a little while to find good food for lunch. The "snack bar" but the pools really weren't that great. But, the restaurant Toro did have a pretty good lunch buffet! And, Ciao wasn't that great for the Heaven side on breakfast - but we did figure out that the walk to the Market was worth it! I also felt all the spa amenities were great! I would love to visit again!

My biggest complaint (which is still small) would be that the beds were a little hard in the rooms. And, I would suggest if you are going to stay here, you should stay with someone you are very comfortable with in your room. The "bathroom" section isn't separate from the room!

1 Thank 725JDH
René M, Gerente at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear 725JDH,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, I am really glad that you loved every moment of your stay and enjoyed our service as well as our facilities and amenities. Thank you for your comments and high recommendations. We would like to welcome you again at our resort and deliver you the excellent service that you have already known. Best regards.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

As with other reviews I was a bit dubious about going here, however this all changed when we arrived. Very warm welcome upon arrival and checked in within minutes, we were shown straight to our room which was decorated beautifully, we did change rooms the following day as we felt we were a bit too far out of the way from everything, this was no problem and a new room given in block 4 was given straight away. There was a lot of rooms in this block that were still been renovated, however we were not disturbed by any work that was going on around us and more guests were taking the rooms by the time we left. The food was lovely and there was plenty of choice to choose from. The French and Italian was my favourite. People with families are restricted in where they eat as 4 of the restaurants are for adults only. The drink is plentiful and all the staff from gardeners, workmen, bar tenders, waiters etc were all extremely friendly and always had an hello for you. We stayed in the heaven side (adults only section) but found that there was more entertainment going on in the hacienda side and proved rather quiet on a night. Ongoing work for the lobby to the nightclub was nearly finished and I managed to get a look at it. It did look fantastic and I was disappointed we would miss the opening of this on the day we left. During the day the entertainment was good but the music could get quite loud if you sat too near the speakers, I enjoyed the Iive bands round the pool in the afternoon. This hotel officially opens 3rd May I think, this will be a great week as Bon jovi are opening it and will be there all week, Bruno Mars was also mentioned but I am not sure if he his definitely going. I would love to return to this hotel when it is full completed to see the changes that have been done. Only downside for myself which is nothing to do with the hotel, is that it is a long way from the airport. It took us nearly 2 hours to get there with all the other drop offs, after an 11 hour flight from the UK, this was a bit of a killer. I would recommend getting a taxi which would have got you there in about 40 minutes. The resort credits are good and can be used for all kinds of trips and spa treatments etc, all you pay is a 20% tax which is charged to your room. Some people just moan for the sake of moaning, personally I could not fault the hotel and had a great relaxing holiday. Would certainly go again without hesitation.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor in room 4128 in the Heaven section and had a pool view. This was prett...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Claire L,

Thank you for the sweet review. We try our best to accommodate the requests of all our guests, and are glad that we could meet your expectations this time. It is wonderful to read that you plan to come back. We will roll out the red carpet for another Rock Star vacation. Love all, Serve all.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!