“Sun and Fun in Mexico”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Sun and Fun in Mexico”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was a nice vacation. The weather was beautiful, the staff was always friendly (although they often had to refer to someone else to verify any information). The room are comfortable. There were tiny ants in our room and in my sister's room. She had them spray, and said the fumes were more obnoxious than the ants. This is an outdoors friendly location and sometimes ants happen. No other insect problems in the room, and they were kept very clean. This is an all-inclusive resort, which is nice. The food was good. Standouts for us were the Frieda Mexican restaurant and the Italian restaurant (in Heaven, adults only). The Brazilian meat-fest was fun, but a little too much - and the Spanish Tapas was ok. Most of the other food was average. This is a great place to hang out by the pool or the cove. If you want to get in the ocean, you may prefer the Cancun location - the surf is too rough to go down to the ocean here and they have access blocked off.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello Nuala S,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our resort; your review confirms our commitment to create authentic experiences that rock for every guest.
It has been a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future so we can spoil you like a Rock Star at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just back from Riviera Maya Hard Rock. I was the organizer of a group of 35 for my son's wedding. Pros: Last month I was with a group of 15 at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana for my daughters 30th b-day and the Riviera Maya was a much better resort.It is a fun place but you need to enjoy music, alcohol, dancing and the beach! The staff was really great especially Ivan and Sergio. They all tried their best to please although there was very little follow through on their efforts. The food was good for an all-inclusive (and Ive been to 10-12 of them), the drinks were not too light and the rooms were spacious and clean. We stayed on the adult side (Heaven) and it was really an upbeat adult party. The night club was great! Lots of music and fun.
Cons: Can you imagine after the wedding was over the bride (in a full wedding gown) had to walk across this huge resort in 90 degree weather because they could not get organized enough to find a golf cart? The wedding planner disappeared so we kept asking anyone we could find for help but after waiting 30 minutes she just decided to walk. By the time she got back to her room she looked as if she went in the pool. Good thing she is a good sport! Although the wedding itself was great but the attention to detail got lost in the translation somehow.
Although I basically sponsored the wedding it took me from noon to 6pm to get a room when we arrived and that would not of happened if it was not for Ivan stepping up to help out. Everyone smiles and are nice, but no help. Actually the same thing happened in Punta Cana to me. Could just be me?
I was also asked to leave the Italian restaurant when I went in with shorts for dinner. I realize that is their program, but at 90 degrees, on the beach etc ... what's the deal?

Transportation back and forth is also a bit of a hassle. We were set up with Olympus from my Travel Agent. We had to keep going to the family side to follow up on it because they seemed to only be there a few hours each day and in the middle of the day when your usually trying to have fun. Not a real customer friendly process?

Overall both Hard Rock's were fun, but not near as efficient as a Marriott/Ritz etc...so dont expect it.You can expect lots of loud music and dancing so if that's more important then basic efficiency then this is your place.

I was considering going back in July to the family side, but still not sure? Maybe back to the Ritz in Cancun?

Room Tip: Dont have high expectations of the overall service and processes. Just enjoy the ride!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brian S
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello Brian S,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, your review is truly appreciated since it helps us to know where we are in terms of service and facilities and it encourages all of us to continue working hard to achieve your satisfaction.
We love receiving feedback when our staff members provided a service that rocked your stay; so I would like to thank you for mentioning the outstanding job that Ivan and Sergio did to make your stay more enjoyable.
On the other hand I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for any inconvenient you may have experienced during your visit. I will share your comments with key people in our organization in order to improve our services to ensure our upcoming guests receive the Rock Star treatment they deserve.
Thanks again for bringing these matters to my attention. We hope to welcome you back again in the future and provide you with an extraordinary stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. Cordially,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Consistently throughout the trip there were situations and issues arising with the service we had paid for. My family ordered a cake and champagne (purchased for our engagement) and the champagne never arrived.
We seemed information and booked an excursion with the pre established conversations we've had with the planners, only to realize it's nothing like what we were expecting or agreed upon. Then, employees from vacation planners acted as if we were not important enough for our issues; we appeared at the front desk to only find the woman there not even looking at us as we were speaking and another employee continuing to interrupt and stating "No, that's incorrect." Or Saying "that didn't happen." What kind of disrespectful and terrible experience that was.

Being VIP- Legendary members for almost half a decade now, I've never ever experienced such a terrible experiences. We were appalled and as I am having a wedding of over 100 guests, I am highly discrediting everything I've heard positive about this resort location and will not have my wedding at such a venue; I could only imagine what my 100 guests would say or think about the service and an extension of MY wedding experience. Absolutely not.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

1 Thank John O R
Hello John O R,

I am disheartened to hear about your terrible experience at our resort; this is certainly not the image we strive to portray at our hotel to our valued Members.
On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya please accept my humble apologies for any inconvenient you may have encountered during your stay. I would like to get more details about your experience and have the opportunity to change your perception about our service; that’s why one of our specialists is sending you a private message to address your concerns better and rest assured that I will be on the top of the situation.
Thanks again for bringing these matters to my attention.

norman,ok
Reviewed 16 June 2014

we just got back from a week stay to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Pros: i'll start off with some of the staff members. first is Bon Jovi the bellman, great young man great positive attitude. Second Sergio Izmael Rodriguez Huchin, the Frieda mexican restaurant made a very positive impression in particular he dressed up the mediocre guacamole to something very edible. we tried some guacamole at senor frogs in play del carmen for 9 dollars a bowl and it was worse! Third bar-man Luis Alberto ono Hamonda Masgero the banito chan barman. 5th Coral with vacation planners was a sweetheart. Now on to the rest i'll agree with other reviews that the breakfasts and lunch buffets were mediocre at best. There was a lot of meat dishes siting out floating in enough grease to give a 20 year old a coronary. The waffle-egg station was good but always backed up. Where this hotel excels is the dinners, we ate at all other than the italian and all were memorable in different ways. The drink service was good, the pool bar area was fun. The fact that they had lagoons where you could get in the water with the fish is a BIG positive versus a beach with a big tide. I handed out plenty of tip money and i felt it was mostly appreciated. Now as far as the heaven club goes, yes they have two hot tubs but they are not functional as the week we were there we asked every day and were told the next day they would be opened. NEVER happened. The music was glaringly too loud but it was a good place for one drink. the other bummer was although they had many outdoor bars not one was opened past 11 pm. ? Really such a beautiful property and we went there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary so that would have been nice. Also we took a walk along the outdoor walkway the last night and due to the fact the staff washed down the wooden deck on the walkway, it was slick as snot and i fell real quick..Luckily just a couple of scrapes. They were always working and cleaning and the rooms and the grounds were spotless. the only suggestions i have on the rooms is to put a treshold-seal on the bottom of the doors as we had a cockroach in 2 of our 3 suitcases when we packed up to leave. We did upgrade to diamond level on our room which did give us more choices for pillows on the bed which was money well-spent.Now the negative, we had not been to mexico in five years and i realize this is a tourist district but if you are not on an all inclusive the costs are sky high. I met up with my brother who was staying in cancun and his comment to me was the taxi fares are the same as he would pay in san fransisco! Also we thought we would wait to go to play del carmen to get better prices on trinkets, cigars etc. versus the hard rock, BAD idea the prices were higher than what i pay here. So after we went to playa and the fact it was our 25th wedding anniversary we decided to buy some silver rings at the hard rock property in the hotel? I found a wring that fit the wife's needed sized the company matis jewelry and carpet said yes they could size it then asked how long we would be there and no they didn't have enough time. Now we are back home and have been to our local jewelry store NO it cannot be sized because of the stones, so watch it as this company is an independent company and you are lured in with 100 resort credits which the salesman told me were a bait and switch. Lastly resort credits use, the senor frogs- playa del carmen was worth it, as were the massages, the tequila tasting was a joke!!! I personally know more about tequila than the guide. we were told we would be able to get a discount tequila bottle offer at the end NEVER happened. Other goofy thing the gift shop in the hacienda side would let you use resort credits for cigars the one on the heaven side where we stayed said no they didn't offer it. Comically the receipt from the shop on the hacienda side says adventura spa palace after all this time. So bottom line great place, very pretty property and go there and don't bother leaving as there i splenty to do, we did see a half dozen local bands through the week although the daily schedule never jived so get out move around and enjoy all they have to offer as they have a lot to offer! happy travels!

Room Tip: we were right off the heaven lobby as far as room goes so very convenient
6 Thank marymark059
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello marymark059,

First and foremost thank you very much for sharing this incredible feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.
Your review confirms that we have achieved our goal for creating an authentic experience that rocked for your 25th wedding anniversary. Thank you for making us part of it.
I am really glad to hear that overall you have had an excellent stay at our resort and enjoyed such a highly attentive service from our staff and specially from Bon Jovi, Sergio Izmael, Luis Alberto, Coral and so many others who went out of their way to make you feel pampered and made your stay very enjoyable.
I am also very pleased to hear that you loved the culinary experience dining at every restaurant and I truly appreciate your feedback towards our breakfast and lunch buffet. I am sharing your observations with our F&B Manager in order to improve out services and ensure our upcoming Rock Stars get only the best.
It is so wonderful to know that you have enjoyed yourself at our beautiful coves snorkeling and watching the fishes without worrying about strong currents or high waves to spoil the day. And what a great way to take advantage of our Limitless Resort Credits program with tours and stupendous treatments at the spa; on the other hand I would like to extend our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenient you may have experienced during your tequila tasting. We will pay greater attention to your observations and suggestions.
Thanks again for sharing your opinion; it has been great having you here with us and we would love to welcome you back again in the near future so you can live another celebrity getaway at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The property is stunning, and there is plenty to do. However, our biggest issue was the food. They need to pick up their game with that! the only decent restaurant there was ZEN, everything else was more or less bad. Yes, bad. I don't think there was one night that we actually felt "full". Food is the one thing people look forward to on a vacation. There wasn't even decent ice cream! Other then that, it was a lot of fun!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Diana N,

I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya and had a lot of fun. We are very grateful to you for choosing our resort for such a special occasion; however I would like to offer you my humble apology for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced during your visit. It is unfortunate you did not find our gastronomy to be of your taste, we have nine restaurants each one catering to a different style of food from different regions of the globe including Asian, Brazilian, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish among others; I will share your observations with our F&B Manager in order to improve our services and ensure our upcoming guests get a better experience.
Thanks again for letting us know; we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future so you can check the improvements and experience the Rock Star treatment that all of our guests are accustomed to.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hard Rock all inclusive Hard Rock Hotel Resorts are Awesome!!! The Riviera Maya is our 3rd visit to a Hard Rock all inclusive resort. Last year our group spent
a week at the Cancun Hard Rock and really enjoyed all three Hard Rock Resorts.
Punta Cana in May 2015.The three Hard Rock Resorts we have spent a week are Fantastic. We have really enjoyed.the activities at all three resorts especially this year at the Riviera Maya. The Mayan ruins in Tulum were the best we have visited. The guide was Fantastic. We plan to return to Punta Cana Hard Rock in May 2015.
We enjoyed the beach at Punta Cana the best. Looking forward to a Hard Rock in Aruba in 2016.

Room Tip: We have been very happy with the three Hard Rock Resorts we have visited. We have had good ocean vie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BennyHMcDaniel
Hello BennyHMcDaniel!

I am so glad to know that you have had such an awesome time at our hotel; thank you for sharing this incredible feedback about your recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.
Nothing rocks our world more than receiving these amazing comments from our raving fans which confirm our commitment to create authentic Rock Star experiences for every guest.
It’s been a pleasure having you here with us. We look forward to your next visit at this or any other of our Hard Rock Hotels in Mexico and Dominican Republic.

Tulum
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We frequently vacation in Mexico and Hard Rock-Heaven surpassed our expectations. The service was fabulous and the amenities were amazing. The rooms are fabulous and the beds are extremely comfortable. For an all-inclusive the food is excellent. We highly recommend Ciao (Italian), and Le Petit Cochon (French) had fabulous food, great service, and amazing ambience. The Rock Spa is amazing!!!!! Pools are great and we were especially fond of the beach/lagoon area. We are so impressed, that we will be be back to the family side with our 4 kids soon.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

2 Thank Shawn S O
Hi Shawn S O!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share this stupendous feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. Your review confirms that we have achieved our goal which is to create authentic experiences that rock for every guest; that is our passion and we are beyond glad to see it’s working. Thank you for recommending us so highly and we look forward to your next visit with your entire family to surprise you with another fabulous stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,203 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,945 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,727 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,981 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,128 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,710 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!