“The Good, Bad and Picky”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“The Good, Bad and Picky”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Some of my comments are meant as constructive criticism to management and some minor improvements will get them to their goal of five stars from me, but for now, only four. I have been to the Hard Rock when it was the Adventura and I have stayed at two other all inclusive's this year so this is my honest opinion on the Heaven side of the Hard Rock

First, The Staff is really good and some really shined and only a few didn't. I can see they are still adjusting to the Hard Rock way vs the old Adventura way. Change isn't easy and I need to remind everyone the re grand opening was in June so I will give them a little break.

Check in was easy but I'm an owner so it usually is. The problem I run into is that we received a small corner room, we asked for something better and we were upgraded, there was a problem with that room so after six hour we finally received a third floor room ( best ever room ). I have to ask management if this room switching game is a policy of theirs since it happened at the old Adventura and at Punta Cana when we were there? Twice is a pattern so three times suspicious at least. I paid thousands for a membership, just give me the best room and be done with it. I don't like how they replaced the two seat hot tub which was in the Adventura with the one seat they have now. That was a bad idea. Room Service doesn't come unless you ask for it. So for those who complained, I never had a problem when I asked.

Again, the staff was awesome, at Toro the staff brought me a b-day cake and sang me Happy B-Day, I again received another cake in my room. Thank You.

Food/Drink: Honestly, I have been to three all inclusive's in Mexico this year and I hate to say it but the Hard rock has some work to do. Inconsistency is a big issue. One day at the French Restaurant it is awesome, the next really greasy. You could ask ten different bartenders for a margarita and it will be made ten different ways, usually with way too much lime. IVAN from Toro was by far the best bartender, we told him how to make our margarita and he did it perfectly and always remembered how to make them. When he wasn't there, we ended up getting a beer and a shot of tequila and pouring the shot into the beer with a lime. A two hour bartender meeting and a quality control manager would improve things a lot. The buffet food seemed heavy but the Chefs were great. Italian and Spain were also good. My wife would like something other than Mexican Champagne for her bubbles choice though.

The Spa, This is one of the best Spa's in any country. A special shout out to Yeddid for her superior services. The facility, The service, the staff, everything is top notch. I can't say enough.

Points. We like to keep it simple, you can use your points to buy tequila, which we did, and we used the rest for the spa which again we feel is the best and can only be done a Hard Rock which is a huge plus. I would like Hard Rock to invest in new software so it doesn't take an hour to book our appointments.

Pool/Beach I love what Hardrock did to the beach area, It is much larger than when it was Adventura and they didn't mess with the tidal pool. You can snorkel and see some nice fish and other sea life. Service was great here too, Juana and Sandra busted their butts in getting our drinks. They ran circles around their male counterparts both poolside and at the beach.

Gloria, who was I guess a front desk manager was very helpful too. We only talked on the phone but she helped a lot.

Overall, we had a great time. Hard Rock is a lot more crazy than it's Adventura predecessor. The additional outdoor hot tubs ( that were not hot for some reason) and the Heaven nightclub brought out the crazy. This place can be relaxing, a party, and an adventure. All it needs is a little tweaking.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the best but hard to get
6 Thank wooster68
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello wooster 68,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel; we very much appreciate your observations and I am glad to hear you say you had a great time at our resort. We love getting reviews when our staff provided an outstanding service, so I would like to thank you for mentioning Ivan, Juana, Sandra, Yedid and Gloria and the terrific job they made at taking good care of you. This may have been your first time at our hotel as Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya but certainly not your last, still plenty to see, to do, to drink and eat and to Rock! We look forward to your next stay.

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,252)
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked our stay at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya with The Tropical Travelers and from beginning to end is was a wonderful experience. The hotel is lovely. I loved that the ocean is a beautiful cove. The kids were able to snorkel and enjoy the beach without me having to worry about them. The pools were lovely and there was always a game of basketball or volleyball going on to keep them entertained. The staff was beyond friendly and accommodating. We had a very relaxing and lovely time there!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank jennifer m
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi jennifer m,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your trip. There is nothing more encouraging for us than getting these amazing comments from our satisfied guests who lived the Rock Star treatment every single moment of their stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya; because we pride ourselves in providing exceptional friendly and unparalleled service. Thank you for visiting us. We are counting with your preference in future vacations to Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Tulum
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The resort was Amazing!! The staff is even better.

Soo Nice and accommodating in every way. Highly recommend for both families and adults. (Especially for anyone with allergies)

Will definitely be going back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Hey Christopher R,

Thank you so much for the five-star review and for recommending us so highly. We look forward to your next visit.

René Malacara Coss
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I just returned from one of the best vacations ever!!! We stayed at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya and had a blast!

Not only was the resort enough to keep anyone busy (we stayed on the Heaven side for adults only), we had a blast with day trips all around the area.

We went to Chichen Itza, Xplor (the adventure theme park) and on a little known tour through a Mayan Village with caves and sinkholes and clear spring waters, etc.

The food at the Hard Rock was amazing. They have several restaurants to choose from so you never get tired of the same thing over and over again. They also have great room service.

They also have great shows and a couple of awesome clubs to have fun until late.

Hi there Justin J!

Thank you so much for the incredible feedback . I am so glad to hear you enjoyed an amazing time with us. Your review ignites our passion for service and keeps us motivated to continue working hard to achieve the satisfaction of every guest. It has been a pleasure having you with us and we hope to welcome you back again very soon so we can spoil you with more rockin' experiences at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Chicago
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We booked our wedding for this resort last year and were married on May 24,2014. We had a total of 33 guests. We read all the complaints and were worried we chose the wrong place. Not the case at all. Rebecca, our on site coordinator was amazing. She made sure everything was perfect and it was. The wedding was beautiful and the food at our reception dinner was amazing. All our guests raved about the food and the cake. The grounds were amazing. The resort is huge so it never felt crowded. We always had shaded chairs by either pool. The service was as good as it gets. Johnny and Eduardo at the Hacienda swim up bar were great. After the first day, they knew what everyone drank without us asking. The beaches were great and well maintained. The food was excellent. Our favorites were Zen, Frieda and the French Restaurant. Sergio at Frieda was always smiling and was dedicated to serving us. The head chef (can't remember his name) talked to us at the Mexican Fiesta and remembered us at Frieda. The staff at Zen worked very hard to accommodate our large party and arranged for everyone to order sushi at the table where the chef prepared food in front of is. Juan at the Heaven Pool was great. He checked on us all the time. The bar tender, Abrahaham at Sun Bar was so much fun. He made flaming drinks, joked with us and was dedicated to making sure we had fun. The night club was amazing. We danced all night on several occasions. Our room was perfect. It was cleaned early ever day, restocked frequently and the view was perfect. Housekeeping deserves to be mentioned as they work very hard. We did tip everyone well including housekeeping. We really enjoyed the Martini Bar on the gazeebo at night. It was a great place to meet other guests and just relax by the ocean. I would like to mention some things about honesty since there were negative comments about this. Our first day, we went to the lunch buffet. I didn't realize a had a hole in pocket and dropped several hundred dollars on the patio. A server named Edwin picked up all the money, found me and returned it. I want to make sure his boss knows how his honesty and integrity made us feel very comfortable the rest of our 10 day stay. Also, the first day we left tip money out for housekeeping. They would not take the money unless we left a note specifying the money was a tip for them. The construction everyone mentions seemed more like minor grounds maintenance to us and was not an issue at all. We loved this resort and all our guests have been raving about the trip as well. The only restaurant that was sub par for us was Toro. The steaks were cold and tough.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ZCotton
Hi ZCotton,

Nothing compares to getting wonderful reviews like yours. On behalf of everyone at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I would like to thank you for your preference when selecting our hotel as the glamorous stage for your dreamed Rock Star Wedding! Your review ignites our passion for creating fantastic experiences that rock for every guest and I am beyond pleased to hear that you received such a highly attentive service from so many of our staff whose great job and hospitality made your stay more enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning Rebecca, Johny, Eduardo and Edwin among so many others. I will tell to them your kind comments.
Thank you for making us part of your big day; I am sure that future Brides & Grooms are going to find very useful your recommendations. We look forward to your next visit to this your special place at Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Silverdale, Washington
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Heaven resort. Everyone was friendly and polite, always making sure you were comfortable. All the staff was amazing, the best costumer service I have had experience. Beautiful amenities, love the decoration. One week was not enough; I wanted to stay longer.

Dear Blanca R,

I am so glad to see that you had an amazing time with us and that we have surpassed all of your expectations creating for you and your loved one the fantastic experience that rocked your vacation at Riviera Maya. It has been our absolute pleasure to make your stay a memorable one. Look forward to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I spent 7 nights at Hard Rock in early June. When we booked we were a little apprehensive since we read that the hotel had only recently been reopened as a Hard Rock but we were willing to try and experience Hard Rock novelty in one of our favorite destinations for all inclusive, Mexico.

A definite positive was the room, completely redone to high, modern standards. Stylish, functional with a jacuzzi and great view of the ocean. We understand they redid all the rooms before they open. A second positive was the great sandy beaches on the hotel property. Rocks shield the 4-5 beach-enclaves so the water is calm and the white sand and the tropical fish that are curious of you makes it a great experience. We ve been in 3 other properties in the area and this was the best beach by far. A third positive was the splitting of the hotel to adults only (Heaven) and family (Hacienda). We stayed at Heaven and was nice to not have screaming children running around. A fourth positive was the variety in eating/dining, the breakfast and lunch buffets had plenty of choice and good quality food. For dining there were 7-8 choices, we sampled everything except the Japanese restaurant. The Mexican one was our favorite and the Spanish/tapas one a close second. The steakhouse was a bit disappointing, steak was not cooked to desired level. A fifth positive, probably the most important, was the disposition of the staff, friendly and naturally hospitable (this is why we keep going back to Mexico).

Now, on to the not so positives: The "Hardrockness" was not there, apart from the music in the lobby and the keepsakes from famous rockers displayed on the walls it felt like somebody put lipstick on a pig, we expected more...the club was a bit disappointing too, they spent a lot of money building it but there was never a club-like feel the two-three times we visited...a lot of disenfranchised men too did not help. The spa facilities were great but the staff were not very experienced, seemed like they were going through a set of predefined steps for all customers...this did not help me as I was put in a steam room despite the fact that I was sunburnt and was later offered a hot jacuzzi...at least I avoided that so I did not turn out a complete lobster! Also if you are vegetarian like my wife, you are out of luck, very limited choices (meat quality was excellent for the rest of us carnivores!).

Overall, good experience but the hotel is still finding its legs after getting into the Hard Rock franchise.

Room Tip: Don't take the shuttle cart between Heaven and Hacienda, opt for the 5 minute walk by the ocean...
1 Thank Kosmas K
Hello Kosmas K,

I truly appreciate you took a moment to review our hotel. Your feedback is a very important tool for us to know where we are in terms of service and facilities. We aim to deliver the best possible stay to every guest and we are glad to see that you have enjoyed your vacation with us. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you also for your observations which we will have in great consideration to enhance the experience and Hard Rock-feel for your next stay. We look forward to your next visit to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya so you can experience the Rock Star treatment that you've already known.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,209 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,973 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,740 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,985 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,143 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,717 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!