“Great time at Hard Rock Mayan Riviera”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff and amenities at this resort are wonderful. My husband uses a wheelchair and the few times (very few) that there were stairs, staff members immediately came to our aid to assist us. The food, especially the restaurants for dinner were great: Frida and Zen are a must! The spa staff is outstanding and I would absolutely recommend the hydrotherapy session before your treatment. Take note: you should wear your bathing suit if you plan on taking advantage of it. The pools were immaculate and the beaches beautiful. You won't be disappointed if you choose to stay at this resort. We highly recommend it!

1  Thank Megan W
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you Megan W; nothing makes us any happier than knowing that you had the best time ever at our resort and the we were able to accommodate your every need. Your review confirms our passion for service and we truly appreciate you took a moment to share your travel experience with us. It has been a pleasure having you here, we are counting with your preference in future vacations to the Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (10,670)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Recently stayed at the HRHRM for a wedding. Once everything was booked and scheduled, it was easy to go and become mindless for a few days. After all, isn't that why we stay at all inclusive resorts - so we don't have to use our minds??

Mundane realities:
- alcohol is watered down
- food is flavored to accommodate the most mid-west of taste palates (mild and bland for those readers who aren't familiar with mid-west tastes)
- no towel service at the pool, you must bring one from your room
- alcohol is watered down (seriously - they have special alcohol for the resort, it's the equivalent of 3/2 beer. There are so many pools and stairs around the property, including the night club, that if people really got trashed from regular strength alcohol, the hotel would consistently be cleaning up messes and accidents.)
- the restaurants close at 11. No ifs, ands, or buts. If you sit down at 10:40 pm, don't expect to eat much
- 20% service charge for resort/spa features not including gratuity
- 1 hour shuttle ride by private company to/from Cancun/airport costs extra

Perks:
- staff speaks English, so for those who don't speak Spanish there is no issue communicating
- staff will also speak Spanish with you, and will chat freely
- if you tip well up front, your service is never lacking (seriously, they know who tips and who doesn't - and they tell the other staff members too)
- plenty of poolside lounging and chairs spread throughout the resort, never really felt crowded
- bottled water is always cold from a bar
- high ac in all buildings makes going indoors very refreshing
- the steak at Frida's. That alone was worth the 45 minute for the restaurant.

Overall, the stay was very pleasant. We were never wowed, but we were never thoroughly disappointed either. (perhaps by the alcohol, but that's what shooters are for, right??)

The stay will be what you make of it. If you treat the employees right, and tips talk loudly, you will have a great time. All inclusive is more of a guideline. There are lots of things you still have to pay for.

If you want a true flavor of Mexico, you'll have to look outside of any resort, but I trust you already knew that. Oh, and talk to the staff. They are just phenomenal people.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dani O

Hello Dani O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and service. We very much appreciate your feedback as it gives us valuable information on how our customers perceive our service and facilities and it points out details that we can fine tune to enhance the experience at our resort for our upcoming guests to enjoy.
I would like to offer you our most sincere apology for a less than satisfactory experience at our resort. Rest assured that I will by discussing your observations with our management team in order to improve every aspect mentioned. Allow me clarify a quick note, there are actually towel service by the pools in both sections of our resort. One of our specialists is looking for you to address your concerns and hopefully change your perception of our resort. We hope to welcome you back again soon so you can experience the Rock Star treatment that all of our guests are accustomed to.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Amazing!! The staff is what really makes the stay a 5 star. Food, rooms, pool, everything is perfect.
Only thing I recommend is to be aware of your time of arrival, we arrived at the hotel at 10am and didn't get our room until 4:30pm.

The spa is something you must do with the hotel credits. We did the couples massage, for our anniversary and it was the best!!

Eduardo, our bar tender by the pool (hacienda) always greeted us with a smile!! AWESOME awesome!!

Manuel, our buttler very pleasant and ready to assit in anything we needed.

Luisa at the salon (heaven), the best make up artist and hair dresser. I had her for the wedding and she is simply amazing!

Manuel our server was always ready to serve us.

The kids club is cool, the staff was great! Martha is very nice!

To the staff at the Hard Rock, Riviera Maya, thank you, thank you for yoir service and for making our stay so wonderful. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: July 2014

Hi Paola R,

I am beyond glad to learn that you enjoyed such an amazing stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya and that you enjoyed such a highly attentive service form our staff and specially from Eduardo, Manuel, Luisa, Manuel and Martha whose great job and hospitality made your vacation very enjoyable. It has been our absolute pleasure making your vacation a Rock Star experience. We cannot wait to welcome you you back soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

A family member selected the Hard Rock Hotel, Riveria Maya for the destination wedding of their dreams. Most of the wedding party including my parents stayed on the property. However, after realizing a one bedroom suite was not available and taking into account the reviews of other tripadvisor members we decided to choose another resort a short 15 minute and $12USD+tip taxi ride away for our young family with a 2 year old toddler. In retrospect we are extremely glad we made that decision.

My relative, the bride, informed the hotel in advance that we would be arriving the day of the wedding and purchasing a day pass at the hotel's rate of $90/adult. When we arrived around noon my wife and I were promptly greeted with a drink and were greeted by the front desk and purchased our day pass with no issue. They also were helpful in giving me my parent's room key which they left for us in their care. However we were then told the day pass wrist bands had not yet arrived and it would be a five minute wait to retrieve them and to enjoy our drink to at the table just to the left of the check-in counter. We took the time to enjoy our drink and listen the american rock music you'd expect at the hard rock.... 1 song, 2 songs, 3 songs later still no wrist bands. I went back to the front desk who informed us oh here they are? Really? I mean I enjoy your lobby and all but I would really like to meet up with my family and enjoy the rest of your facility, the family friendly side of course.

I should mention during the 8 hours I spent at the HRH,RM the facility did look safe for a two year old, high railings in the breezeways stood above his 36" frame. The deep soaker tub in the room might be a different story under certain conditions. I found myself having to go in with my son to bathe him, I can't image any other adult being able to do otherwise.

On the patio area the facility is geared for adults / teens. There is a modestly sized graduated kiddle pool that goes to 18" deep. The kids club and water feature is really small and almost an after thought. The kids club looked like a 12 x 12 foot room and was closed the day I attended. I thought it was almost a joke given how it was advertised on their website.

There is a small man made lagoon and beach with fish that was interesting. However I found it to be a bit on the rocky side in some parts. And there isn't a ocean facing beach like the nearby resort we stayed at which at some parts offers tidepooling.

Sitting lagoon side, the bar staff was attentive at first giving us the drinks we ordered. However, our second order of drinks was left unfulfilled, while my relative's orders sitting nearby me were handled in a reasonable amount of time. When I tried to get the server's attention I was ignored and I didn't really feel like chasing her down on the rocky beach. Perhaps that's the level of service I get with a day pass?

That said the team did execute a beautiful wedding for my relative. For those of you thinking about it, I highly recommend not having a formal or semi-formal dress wedding in July. I only did it for the bride.

The poolside pizza and burgers were unimpressive but seem to be par for the resorts. My only other meal was the wedding reception which was good but obviously not something most guests would get to experience. During the reception I was bitten by what I believe to be a large ant which I threw to the floor, really painful. Couldn't see it in the darkness. I approached the hotel staff about it and was promptly attended to with a antiseptic cleaning to their credit.

Oh lastly, I thought they forgot the bride's request oh my behalf but the staff did successfully surprise my parents with complementary champagne and dessert the night before their wedding anniversary.

So in summary, appears to be a nice well run resort for adults and teens particularly if you stay there. Not so much for day passers or families with young children.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Willie C
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Willie C,

Thank you for taking the time for reviewing our property; we very much appreciate your feedback as it helps us to know where we are in terms of service and facilities and also it gives us valuable information to improve our services and achieve every guest's satisfaction. It is very unfortunate to see that you did not enjoy your day at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, we aim to deliver authentic experiences that rock for every guest and every visitor and we regret we have missed our mark in your case so I would like to offer you my humble apologies for any dissatisfaction you may have experience during your visit. One of our specialists is getting in touch with you soon to addres your concerns better.
We will pay great attention to the details you have mentioned before in order to enhance the Hard Rock experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again so you can experience the Rock Star treatment that all our guests are accustomed to.

Cordially

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I truly had a phenomenal time on this trip. We stayed on the adults only side, Heaven, which is a very appropriate name. It was heaven! It was calm, quiet, and relaxing. Of course, they had a nightclub, great dining options, and a pool party everyday! My husband and I went to the beach each and every day of our vacation. It was just so beautiful. It was never crowded, but rather peaceful. We also went to the Hacienda/Family side, which also had great restaurants, beaches, pools, etc. We went snorkeling, received spa treatments, and had a private dinner on the beach. We were able to use our resort credits for all of this. My one piece of advice is to be aware that even though you use resort credits for these services, you have to pay a 20% service fee out of pocket. This service fee is NOT a gratuity. All in all, I highly recommend and would return again!

I want to mention a few specific names of people that made our trip extra special: Ulises in Housekeeping; Hugo at Zen, and Jorge at Heaven beach. All employees, however, had top notch customer service.

3  Thank Krista A

Hello Krista A,

It was so great to read your review and find out that you had an absolutely amazing experience with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your vacation just like a Rock Star does and were able to get fabulous treatments at the Rock Spa® or having a private dinner on the beach. Sounds great. Thank you for the staff shout outs for Ulises, Hugo and Jorge. We cannot wait to welcome you back again and roll out the red carpet for another phenomenal vacation at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I went for our honeymoon and we had a great time. The service was phenomenal, the food in the restaurants was absolutely delicious, and the beach was just amazing. We stayed on the Heaven side and it was the best choice. Adults only! It wasn't crowded, there was never a wait for dinner, and we could always find prime real estate for lounging by the pool or at the beach! All in all we had a great time and would recommend. We also went on the family side a few times for dinner which was also very nice.

3  Thank Geo A

Hello Geo A,

You are so kind for taking a moment to share your incredible feedback. It was our absolute pleasure having you with us and to make of your honeymoon a pleasant experience. Thank you for recommending us so highly. We look forward to your next visit to this your special spot at Riviera Maya, Mexico.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hard Rock RM actually exceeded our expectation. We have visited this resort when it was Spa Palace. Hard Rock has really done some major renovation. Rooms are very nice & new looking. Great vibe & exceptional service. Club Heaven was fantastic. We will definitely return & can't wait until they open the Los Cabos Hard Rock. Really a good overall value.

2  Thank Wayne G

Hi Wayne G,

Thank you so much for spreading the fabulous Hard Rock experience; I am so pleased we have surpassed all your expectations every day of your stay and that you loved our concept, new looking, vibe and unparalleled service. It has been our pleasure to rock your vacation at Riviera Maya; cannot wait to welcome you back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#9 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#2 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
14 mi away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!