“Terrible Food, not near anything, only 3 restaurants” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hampton Bays, NY
“Terrible Food, not near anything, only 3 restaurants”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

Don't bother, vacations are about fun and good food. Adventura Cove was very inconvenient, old hotel. We were 1 hour away from airport and one hour away from any day trip. Dinner food sucked. Only had 3 restaurants, choose another hotel with more restaurants or don't go at all. Was very empty. Presidential suite was OLD, needs work., had several problems that needed to be fixed. Only a two star hotel, move on because you want it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MomGHamptonBays_NY
Mara J, Customer Service at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to shared us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
WA State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

We went with family to the Aventura Cove. Very nice place and the kids loved it. I really liked the Spa side and there is a lot to do on that side. The cove is very safe and secure so we felt comfortable letting the kids roam a bit. We made it to the spa side a couple times and had some very nice dinners. The bartenders and service staff are awesome and work hard to take care of you. Whenever we had an issue (which were pretty minor) we got quick help. We got suckered on one tour and the free tours were just "ok". On one of the free tours the tour guide took us to some shop that he were relatives of his and made us stay there for 1/2 hour. Only one time was anyone that worked for the Aventura rude. We were in line for the bus and I asked one of the curb attendants which line was which and he jumped at me. When i asked his partner what his name was and who his boss was they freaked. There was a ton more to do on the Spa side and it was a step above the Cove side, but the kids were very happy with it and loved that they could order anything they wanted. I would like to check out other all inclusives to see how this one compares. Everyone says the Moon is the best around, but I've never been there. We went to the PlayaCar Resort 2 times and they were great. Its a nice beach location but way smaller than Aventura. The only thing I wish Aventura had was an actual beach location. The lagoon was nice for snorkling but a beach would have been the best!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank koenig12
Dear member, thank you for taking the time to shared us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

Just back from Aventura Cove Palace. Went with my husband and 12 yr old daughter. It was a nice getaway, but we were expecting better service and attention to detail.
PROS
Arranged transportation when I reseved on their website. 15 min wait at the airport for the van to take us an another family. The driver took us strait to AVP, no stops at other hotels. One hour to the resort. We ended up with a private transfer on the way back to the airport - which was really nice.
Check in was easy, and our room was ready when we arrived - 1pm. Nice surprise.
Room was clean and fridge was stocked.
BOGO Swim with the Dolphins was fantastic! 5 min from the resort at the marina - shopping there too. Watchers can take pictures. Hard sell on the video and photos they take - talk them down - prices are not firm. I got two pictures for $25 - started at double that.
Poolside food was great - grilling steaks, chicken, burgers, nachos, pizza, icecream all very tasty and cooks were friendly and accomodating.
Breakfast buffet was very good - lots of variety - fruit was awesome and cook to order omelette was super.
Pool side wait service was friendly and worked hard. We thought drinks were very, very tasty and not watered down. We drank mostly Mojitos and Margs.
Cold bottled water was always available, which was good, because it was HOT!
Pizza and Pasta dinner place was fantastic! Delish grilled shirmp, brick oven pizzas (cooked to order) and many other very yummy choices.
Also ate dinner one night at the Spa side - Oriental - that was very good, too. The service there was EXCELLENT - staff was very attentive and professional. Definately a step up from the Cove side restruants.
The activities people were the hardest working people there. They were polite, and let people know what was going on, but didn't bother you. They were great with the kids and preteens. Played with them (soccer, volleyball, etc) and were very positive and upbeat, but not annoying.
We loved the cove for snorkeling - great for kids and beginners because it is calm and has some cool fish.
CONS
We stayed at Moon Palace 4 years ago and had the best vacation ever. The service was fantastic, facilities were great, and food was out of the world. We were really hoping for that experiece again, but Cove just didn't have it. I think the Spa side is closer to what we were expecting, but Cove was definately a step down.
Free Tours - we wanted to go to Tulum on Saturday - the other two days it was offered were the days we arrived and left the resort. I called ahead of time to see if we could put our name in, an the answer was no. We got to the resort at 1pm on TH and the Sat trip to Tulum was booked. This was very disappointing. We ended up spending $50 RT on a taxi plus $20 admission to go on our own. It ended up fine, and we had a good time, but the free tours was one of the reasons we went with the Palace Resorts.
Service - was just okay - not horrible - not great - I expected more for the price we paid.
Housekeeping - we requested mas coco-cola lights for the hotel room fridge on several occassions - no extras, and one of the days not left at all... Communicating with housekeeping was very difficult - even in their native language..a tip didn't seem to help them get it right either...

Overall we had a good trip, but we were expecting a little 'more' in the way of service, especially for the price we paid. The sun is super strong - take your 50+ sunscreen ! and Aloe for your sunburn. Both are $20 + a bottle at the gift shop. We were careful, and still burnt.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kea6129
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

We only went here because we couldn't use our week at Pueblo Bonito @ Sunset Beach in Cabo (was booked thru April). Ended up not exchanging our week, but buying an extra vacation. I am glad I did, because I would have been mad if I wasted a week in Cabo for this. Place was nice enough, check in went smooth, but when we got to our room we were shocked at how small it was. Small for 2 people, never mind 4 as they list. The tub takes up A LOT of the room. They should have made the rooms bigger to allow for the tub. Housekeeping sucked however, even though we tipped 3 to 5 US dollars every day. Dirty tub on arrival, no extras like other people listed (snacks, towel art, rose petals, balloons) for a special occasion (anniversary). They didn't even stock the mini-bar right. They saw us drinking diet pepsi, but they never restocked that, they gave us more regular coke instead. Pools & grounds were okay, nothing spectacular. No infinity pool, just a regular one that meandered thru the property. Food was hit or miss...great breakfast, but how can you screw up breakfast? They had everything, eggs, french toast, waffles, potatoes, fruit, CHAMPAGNE!! Lunch & dinner were another story. Lunch some good some bad, but they will grill fresh fish or meat for you if you are picky. Dinner again was sometimes good, sometimes just different from what we had previously, even though it was the same thing on the menu...very inconsistent. Location was out of the way too. 1 hour to Cancun central (about 60 US dollars) for nightlife, everything else was 1 to 3 hours away. That wouldn't be bad if they had a good hotel shuttle service, but they only have 1 bus every day & it makes the rounds of all the Palace hotels. So basically we had to leave at 7:45 a.m. and after being dropped off in Playa del Carmen, then taking the ferry to Cozumel, we only had a little time there before having to take the 3:00 ferry back to catch the bus back to the resort. Forget going to the Cancun Palace as we had planned...a 1.5 hour drive each way & an early pick-up...we would have had a couple hours there. Wish we had rented a car instead. All in all, just mediocre. Spa was the only highlight. Nice facilities and great facial....still didn't make up for everything else though. We got a great deal thru RCI, would have never paid full price they list. That would be a total rip-off.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

My husband and I were there for a wedding and had a great time. The staff were wonderful. The food was pretty good. There weren't very many people. The excursions were fun. The entertainment was entertaining! The only problem we had was that we could hear the people in the room next to us like they were in our room with us. We had to whisper the whole time because we didn't want them hearing everything. The walls aren't thin at all but we shared a connecting door and every sound came through it. We would definitely go again but ask for a room without the connecting door.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DarrylDarthur
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

This was really a combination business/leisure stay and it appeared many of the hotel guests were on the same mission. My wife was here for a sales meeting and I flew down toward the end of the week to join her. I love the all-inclusive idea. No need to check the menu prices and a wide variety of restaurants. My only negative experience, and I'm sure other guests would have rated this a positive, was getting on to the property. Security at the front gate is pretty tight. If they are not expecting you, be prepared to talk fast. I thought I coould just drive up, explain that I was meeting my wife who was already a guest and go in. Uh-uh. Whatever I said must have been hotel code for potential terrorist. It took about an hour and a half of questioning before I was finally able to check in and join my wife.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank aroydecaro
Madison, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

We went to Mexico over Christmas. My husband and two sons (ages 20 and 17) along with my sister, her husband and three sons (ages 16, 13, and 7) planned this getaway vacation to avoid a "traditional" Christmas. My mother passed away in June, and my father died last year in May. We needed to get away, but were looking not to spend an arm and a leg. My travel agent recommended Mexico, and the Adventura Cove Palace. I was a bit anxious as there weren't many reviews, I didn't think their website was very good, and some of the reviews were downright awful.

Much to my relief, the Cove Palace was just what we were looking for. Because my kids were older, and my sister had three kids, we both decided on the "family deluxe" accomodations. Basically this was adjoining rooms; one with a king bed and the other with two double beds. It was terrific. We all had our own space. The rooms all had jacuzzi's. The kids used them. The beds were wonderfully comfortable. The shower was very roomy. Everything was very clean and the entire resort was well kept up.
We were greeted with a cool towel (after 12 hours of traveling, this was appreciated); a cold drink and flowers for the ladies. We always felt welcome, appreciated and well taken care of.

The pool area was large and beautiful. Some reviews were really mad there wasn't really a true beach at the resort. Maybe because I knew what to expect, this never really bothered any of us. The lagoon area had these terrific cushion reclining chairs. The kids all liked snorkeling and swimming in the lagoon. It has a rock wall that the ocean waves crash in to so the lagoon is calm, but you still know your on the ocean. But, if smooth white sand and walking directly into waves is a deal breaker for you, then this is not the resort for you.

The service was stellar. I quickly got used to being waited on hand and foot. The food was generally quite good. There was a buffet for breakfast and lunch, and then "menu" restaurants for dinner. At the buffets, you could order your own "fresh" order. For example, omelettes, pancakes, etc... were cooked to order if you wanted. We really enjoyed the steak restaurant and the mexican restaurant. One night we went over to the "spa" side of the hotel. (The hotel is split into a family side and an adult "spa" side). We went to the seafood restaurant. The service was not great ( our waiter was being trained!), but the food was fine. My youngest son is really picky, so he ate a lot of room service cheeseburgers!

We took a couple side trips. This was the most confusing part of the trip. We booked a Delta vacation and we had the "Palace Passport" promotion of included trips. We got there on Wednesday night and were ready to book trips on Thursday morning. Unfortunately one of the trips was already full and the other days it was available, we were not able to do it. The included trips were booked at a certain desk. The delta vacation representative was located upstairs in the hotel and was ready to book other trips. Then there was a different desk in the lobby to book other trips. All of them seemed competitive with one another and all of them fed us misinformation about the trips to try to get us to book with them. We did ziplining, ATV's, and Isla Majeras and then went to Tulum on our own. The Isla Majeras was a long day. We were told it would take 2 hours to get there, it was much closer to 3 hours one way.

We stayed for 6 nights. It was wonderful. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank plehn03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,015 reviews
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,606 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,468 reviews
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,824 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,842 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,563 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!