“Sister got married - great trip with 3 year old son and teenage daughter!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hatboro, PA
“Sister got married - great trip with 3 year old son and teenage daughter!”
Reviewed 16 December 2010

This was my second stay at Aventura, the first visit being years before for my honeymoon, when the entire resort was adults only (just called the SPA palace). Now, the resort is delightfully split into two, with the one side still being Aventura SPA Palace (18 and over only), and the other side being the Aventura COVE Palace, which is family friendly. Both sides were essentially identical, although the cove side was actually calmer, quiter, and more private, so even the guests that attended my sister's wedding and stayed on the spa side spent most their time on the cove side.

I want to first say that Marino, the man who runs the hut down by the lagoon on the cove side, was AMAZING. He gave so much personal attention to us, especially my 3-year old son. He was so amazing with young kids, making balloon animals, games, providing personal service and care, and remembering every one of our names from day one. He brought items that he purchased with his own personal money and time to entertain the kids. We did notice that despite being "family friendly," there is very LITTLE for kids to do at all, unless you stick them in the children's room/kids center that is indoors. If you want to spend the day at the lagoon or the pool, there is not much to entertain the young kids. It would be great if the resort would offer more toys, equipment, or activities tailored to toddlers or small children, since they do advertise themselves as being family friendly. Marino did make up for anything not provided by the resort though. It would be great if they had paddle boats in the lagoon too!

Our waiter every day by the pool and lagoon, Angel, was FANTASTIC. He seemed very mild mannered and shy at first, with little expression, but very quickly remembered our names, our favorite drinks, and delivered with a great big smile every time. He was great. Ibeth, another waitress at the pool, also met our every need.

The entertainment crew, especially Jairo, Eduardo, and Victor, not only provided numerous activities for us every day and all day, but made us laugh and became our FRIENDS. My daughter, 14 years old, particularly enjoyed all of the sports like water polo, sand soccer, or volleyball that were offered. They also made water aerobics and zumba less like exercise and more like fun. They definitely kept us entertained, and wrapped up our week with a fantastic Michael Jackson show.

As for excursions, the only time we left the resort was to go ride the dolphins at Dolphinaris (which we were able to use our $1500 resort credit for). This was GREAT for all ages (we even were able to bargain my 3 year old into the water), and it was directly across the street.

Being that we were guests of a wedding (my sister got married), there were lots of private activities for us. But never did we feel bored, underfed, or unentertained. There was one event for the wedding that was held over at the adult side, and require me to use the babysitting room. My son was a little intimidated by being stuck somewhere with strangers. Marisol was TERRIFIC. She made my son feel at ease, and even offered to stay LATE to watch him should my event take longer than anticipated and longer than the regularly scheduled hours of the kids room. I felt so personally taken care of and treated so well. For a nice (and well deserved) tip, Marisol stayed an extra half hour past her shift to help me, a stranger out. Now THAT was customer service.

I highly recommend the monkey tour, which leaves the Cove lobby, a few days per week at 4pm. The entertainment staff guides you down the driveway of the resort for a short walk to see the spider monkeys as they travel from one side of the forest to the other. It is so neat to see these monkeys swinging from tree to tree in the wild. Take your camera and enjoy!

Food was delicious, especially the Mexican Restaurant on the Cove side (La Hacienda I believe?) Also really enjoyed Japanese on the Spa side. The Mundaca Steak House was out of this world. One night I ordered a filet but also wanted shrimp, that was not on the menu. I just asked if they had any, and with my filet came at least a dozen gigantic, delicious, grilled shrimp.

Only negatives: the computer system and apparantly different parts of the resort do not communicate very well with each other. Sometimes it seems as if the left hand does not have a clue what the right hand is doing. We were told, for instance, at the front desk that we could use our resort credit to purchase wine to take home. When we went to do this, the restaurants looked at us like we were crazy. TWICE my credit card dropped off my room, so I was denied purchases at the gift shop and had to go back to my room and then back to the lobby to reinstate the same card. To book any excursions or spa treatments, we had to wait in line to meet with the one person in the lobby that was able to do this. We spent A LOT of unnecessary wasted time just dealing with the front desk and problems. It would be SO MUCH EASIER AND BETTER if there was a computerized system to book your own excursions and/or spa appointments via the internet. When you are on vacation, the last thing you want to be spending your time doing is sitting in a lobby waiting to deal with administrative staff. There wasn't any very clear "instructions" provided as to what to do/where to go at the resort. It was often difficult to determine the "rules" of the $1500 resort credit program, the phone numbers of certain departments (like excursions/tours), and Restaurant times and locations were changed without notice. It would be nice to have more information available to guests (half of the info in the in-room booklets pertained to other Palace resorts, not the Aventura Cove or Spa), so that less time has to be spent doing those un-fun tasks in the lobby.

The country of Mexico is beautiful, this resort is beautiful, and most importantly, the people make you feel like you are part of their family. I have NEVER been treated to kindly - I felt like a Queen! And so did my kids....they can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Jan_Hundrieser, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 February 2017
Dear flyershawk.

Thank you very much for visiting us and sharing your comments, we sincerely hope to see you soon here and being able to pamper you like a true Rockstar!

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,315)
  • Polish first
Austin, TX
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Overall, we had a very good time at the resort and I would definitely recommend the place. I'd say that the administration type stuff (like setting up tours/spa treatments) was cumbersome and way too time consuming, but the workers themselves were very accommodating and a real pleasure.

We went with our 3 daughters. Kid club wise - the youngest (4) loved the place and actually requested that we drop her off. The eldest (11) was quite as keen but was ok in small doses which probably has more to do with not being with the 'kids' as much as the activities that they provided. The staff was very good. Beyond the kids club, the activities and nighttime entertainment were enjoyed by the older kids. They also liked the arcade.

I liked the rooms. Everyone enjoyed the hot tub and I actually felt the room was big enough for everyone. I had no issues with cleaning and I liked the towel animals that the staff made to compliment the animals brought by the kids. Always a nice touch.

Food - I actually enjoyed the Mexican restruant the best. Service was a little slow but the food was good and the staff were very accommodating. Steak place was good as well. There was good diversity in the buffet sitting and while generally I don't think you look for fine cuisine in a buffet, you can usually sample till you find something that hits the spot. I liked the poolside food as well.

Tours/Spa - As mentioned by others, get the planning out of the way early. I did think it took too long to get everything signed up which is a damper but once you are set then you can just go on autopilot from there.

Dear Dugg.

NJ
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I attended a wedding at this hotel and stayed on property for 4 days. The rooms are nice and clean however they are small and the large tub is a bit strange seeing as it is pretty close to the foot of the bed. As my fiance stated, with the tile floor and tub in the room, it was like "sleeping in a bathroom."

Unfortunately we had to move rooms b/c we had tiny ants all over our first room. We were in a concierge level room and other than having a king size bed, I don't know what other "upgrades" we rec'd being in that level. Everything seemed pretty much the same as compared to the regular rooms.

The biggest issue I had with this place was that we were given all of these hotel credits and we couldn't use them on anything we wanted...like advertised.

They limit you to using about 20% of the credits at the spa. We recevied 750 credits in total and were able to use 150 at the spa. They advertise being able to use them for excursions (i.e. zip lines, swimming in caves, etc) however once you try to book these, you realize that the excursions are all over an hour away at their sister hotel, Moon Palace. Plus, there are very limited times that you can participate in these activities. if you are going to book any of these excursions, I would book them as soon as you arrive at the hotel and check in or you won't get into any of them. Because we had such limited time at the resort, we were not able to take an entire day to do 1 excursion (there are plenty of cool places to do activities within 15 minutes of the resort- you just have to pay for them). The 1 excursion that is close to the hotel is the swimming with dolphins. However when I tried to book this one...it was full!!!

They also tell you that they can be used for wine upgrades at the restaurant. This became a big joke. I tried to order a bottle of Moet Champagne at dinner one night and after a half hour of not getting it, I spoke with the waiter (again) and he told me that they "were all out b/c it was being used for the lobster dinner." So no champagne (@ $165/bottle/credits.
After not getting the wine, I called the concierge to book the lobster dinner (@ $350/per couple) and guess what...they had not room for us during our stay! Shocker.

So we had 600 resort credits to use and couldn't use them on any of the things they tell you to use them for - no wine, no lobster dinner, no excursions.

Our last resort for the resort credits (no pun intended)? Pictures...lots of pictures. Oh yes- we got pictures with an iguana by the poolside for $45, and then for the bargain price of $425, we did a full on photo shoot around the resort our last morning. The pictures were totally cheesy and out of about 100 of them, we got about 10 that were decent. It was fun in the end but not exactly how I thought we would use all of our resort credits. Just be aware of the lure of booking this place because of the resort credits.

The food was ok. I am a vegetarian so I appreciated the amount of vegetables they offered however all of them were either covered in in butter, oil or cheese. Definitely do not plan to eat healthy while here. Even the "roasted vegetables" were really greasy.

Overall for the price we paid to stay here, I would have been happier at a non- all inclusive resort with an option for better food. The service at the resort was top notch and the staff was always very nice. You are offered 24 hour room service and the food was horrible. The servings were tiny, most of the time the order took a long time (approx. 45 minutes) and after 10 pm, you could only or a handful of items.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ScorpioChik
Dear ScorpioChik.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Lets start by saying we have been to Mexico many times over the past 5 years. From the time we arrived I would say Aventura Cove Resort was not a polished, together resort. They lacked the customer service that we have come to expect from other resorts In Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. We arrived on a Tuesday around 3pm and they were not really busy.

Our room was clean, small beds but overall room without a view was just fine. No complaints.

The food was average for the most part. When you go to an excursion and we get excited about the food something is wrong....We did have a great Thanksgiving dinner at the aventura cove and appreciate traditional American fare. We found the mexican restaurant(a la carte) for dinner to be not very good. The steakhouse dinner was very good. The breakfast,lunch dinner buffets had their good and bad. Food was acceptable. The service not above average....when you ask for salsa and they say they are out or you ask for a chardonnay and the bar says they are out....kinda wierd and never experienced those responses in an all inclusive in Mexico.

The cleanliness was lacking. Many times notices room service trays stacked by the ice machines and our sat outside our door from 9am till 6pm one day. Seemed like once I started looking I found more and more cups, trays, trash laying around.

Room was not cleaned one day and we were gone entire day so not sure what was up with that.

Traveled with two teens two adults and we had a great time. We are not real picky about accommodations but for the first time we had the lack in customer service we are used to in Mexico resorts.

Night entertainment....magic show was good but predictable...what do you expect. Fire show was good...great because outside...not so because way too long. Didnt attend any other shows.

Pool side activities...typical entertainment staff organizing, soccer, basketball, water polo, volleyball....

Bar tenders at pool side not very attentive...Listen they werent busy and when you have to call at them for attention cause they are standing in a huddle....Maybe they are becoming americanized....

Lagoon to snorkel and kayak was cool.
Free in room internet with laptop was great.

With the choices that are out there, I would say to choose this resort if you get a good rate and ok with average food and below average customer service.

1 Thank 1frank1
Mara J, Customer Service at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 February 2017
Thank you for taking the time to shared us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

san antonio
Reviewed 17 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Aventura Cove Palace on October 10-15th for vacation. It was breathtaking. Right from the start, as we arrived from our transport, the trees, atmosphere, and staff was amazing. We had a quick check in and I received a flower and my husband and I were given fruity drinks. We were taken right away to our room. The room was a little old compared to other palace resorts such as Beach and Cancun, but not bad overall. The bathroom did have only one sink, but the shower was big, enough for two people. Every room has a balcony with a hammock which was very nice. Aventura Cove and Aventura Spa Palace are connecting hotels. Total there are 7 restaurants total and 2 big pools. There are also 2 inlets that you can snorkel and kayak in, although they are kind of small. There is no beach where you can walk along. And the water is not the famous cancun blue. It is a darker blue. The size of these two resorts can seem overwhelming at first but it really isnt a far walk. There are also buses that transport you every 10 minutes to and from each hotel lobby which is nice. The staff were amazing and quickly responded to every need. The food is FANTASTIC as well. Our least favorite was the Chinese restaurant but the appetizers and soup were delicious. Every night they have shows and they were entertaining. The spa is amazing in Aventura Spa Palace. They are very friendly and clean. We did a couple's massage and it was truly relaxing!! Overall this is a great place to stay. It is an hour and 10 minutes away from the Cancun airport but worth the trip!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear member, thank you for taking the time to shared us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.
Errington, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I found this resort to be wonderfully clean, the staff were very helpful and friendly.
I found some of the line ups for restaurants to be frustrating but that is part of the experience. The food was good and my room was amazing, the tub in the room was huge. The spa was a truly wonderful experience, my first real spa experience and not my last! I was disappointed that there was no real "beach" to snorkle at but the little lagoon was very interesting and I felt very secure there. We saw a few little fish and it was a good first experience for snorkling but it got boring after the 3rd day. I did find the bed to be hard but we managed. the trip was a business conference for my husband and unfortunately we can't really afford to go back it is a bit highly priced, but if you can afford it it is beautiful!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
London, Ontario
Reviewed 31 August 2010

In between moving from a horrible resort to our new (fabulous) resort, we spent one entire day at this out-of-this-world resort with our kids.

The service was 100% proactive, friendly and polite.

Our kids went to the beautiful, air-conditioned kids club and actually wanted to stay the entire time! No wonder, they were even taken on a Monkey Tour where they got to see real monkeys in the ir natural habitat.

The fully equipped arcade with soft drink dispensers was something right out of the "Teen Cribs" tv show. Very nice!

Restaurants were fantastic! Especially the beachfront buffet.

The older boys took a kayak for a spin around the protected water enclosure and loved the turquoise blue water.

Massages and Hydrotherapy areas were absolutely wonderful.

We were even provided with a courtesy suite to shower and get changed before dinner. Highly civilized!

Thank you to all the staff for making our transition a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank tom_weihmayr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#1 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!