Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)
US$332
  • Pool
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$284
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$371
US$289
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Beachfront
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$638
Coral Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$140
Hotels.com
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$112
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$422
TripAdvisor
All reviewssmall hoteljacuzzi barcontinental breakfastel xenoteno elevatorparadise tourshot tubdive shopprivate jacuzzimarina sidegated communityrestaurants and shopshotel guestsrestaurant staffan ocean view roomevery morningsliding door
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Puerto Aventuras is a gated community about an hour south of the Cancun airport. The Omni PA is a 30 room boutique hotel on the beach. We loved our stay here! Our room was on the third floor (the top floor) and therefore, had a cathedral ceiling. The room was spacious and clean. It had a walk-in shower and you could go from the shower outside to the balcony and to the spa tub on the balcony. Of course, there was also an entrance to the balcony from the br. The balcony was large and had a hammock which my husband enjoyed. Our king-sized bed was firm and comfortable. I should mention that there are no elevators in the hotel so if that is an issue for you, request a room on the first floor.

Oh, I should mention that we had an "American Breakfast" included in our package. It had everything you could want: a fruit plate or fresh squeezed orange juice, two eggs any style, a choice of meat, a basket of sweet rolls and tea or coffee. I read elsewhere a complaint that you had to order this breakfast but that is not true. The American breakfast is the most expensive meal on the menu at 195 pesos. You could order anything you wanted and had a credit of 195 pesos. The breakfasts were excellent and promptly prepared. We occasionally enjoyed the Mexican eggs.

Service was wonderful at the Omni. Special thanks to Jorge in reception, Abner at breakfast in El Xenote, Miguel at the Pina Colada and Edier, waiter on the beach. Each tried his best to meet our needs and usually exceded our expectations. An example of the fine service: I had ordered too much for dinner one nighta at El Xenote. The next day for lunch I took my pulled pork to the restaurant and asked if they could heat it up for me. That's all I wanted. They wanted to know should they make it into tacos for me? Did I want guacomole? etc. All I wanted was for then to heat up my dish. They always wanted to go the extra mile.

Unfortunately, due to several hurricanes and the enlargement of the entrance to the marina, the beach is quite eroded. However, there is beach space to the right and left of the hotel where you can relax on the sand under palapas. The snorkeling in front of the hotel is quite good. We took our own snorkeling equipment but you can rent it. We saw turtles -- actually swam with one for about a minute-- a small ray, various small, colorful fish, and my husband saw a moray eel. The beach is shallow for quite some time and the surf is calm. We did not see any sea urchins--yay!

Puerto Aventuras is close to many activities and sites you might want to visit -- Tulum, Xplore, Rio Secreto among many others, and is 15 minutes from Playa Del Carmen. It is not great if you want night life but we are early to bed and get up early.

Outside of the hotel is where they do dolphin swims. It is fun to watch. Around the dolphin area are a series of outdoor restaurants where you can have an inexpensive meal and watch the dolphins swim.

I became a certified diver in November and this trip I dove in PA and Cozumel. The diving in both places was excellent. In fact, the PA sites to dive are so close to the hotel, we actually came back to PA in between dives. We had very short boat rides to the reefs.

We loved our stay at the Omni Puerto Aventuras and plan to return next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MommaMarps
Reviewed 24 May 2012

As promised, this is my next installment in the Breakfast on the Mayan Riviera “series”. I have been busy launching my www.oliveoilandlemons.com food and travel blog, hence the delay in submitting this review.

If you are visiting the area, don’t miss a visit to Puerto Aventuras. Puerto Aventuras is a hidden gem on the Mayan Riviera. Dreamed into reality by Architect R. Rivera more than 20 years ago, the sleepy fishing village developed into a small resort village of condominiums, villas, golf course and now a few hotels. It is built along Chac Hal Al bay and around a system of canals, dolphin pools and a lovely, quaint commercial centre. The commercial centre is home to a few outdoor restaurants, shops and even a museum featuring Architect Rivera finds from his scuba diving expeditions.

Puerto Aventuras, lovingly known as PA to us "locals", is situated about 15 minute drive south of Playa del Carmen and just north of the Barcello resort hotel. Driving down Hwy 307 from Playa del Carmen, watch for signs and get into the narrow right-hand lane taking you under the new overpass and immediately, still under the overpass, make a U-turn back north a few meters past the gas station to the PA entrance gate. If you miss the turn continue down the highway another kilometer or so and make a U-Turn at the next sign and go back north to the PA gate. Traffic into PA is monitored but visitors are welcome so just let the guard at the gate know you are here for a visit.

There are a number of restaurants serving breakfast (lunch and dinner) around the village. You can have coffee and croissants on the canal at Bamboo, coffee and pastries at Cafe Cafe near the dolphin pools, the Italian Bakery in the back is lovely as well. You can go for full breakfast at Tirami...Su, Cafe Ole, Massimo, Richards and a couple other places in the commercial centre around the dolphin pools and at the back of the commercial centre on the main road. These are all fun places to go to. Our breakfast ritual however, tends to end up at the same place: on the veranda of the Omni Hotel on the Cha Hal Al bay. The high end hotels with their overstatement have their place, but it's not here. You just can't beat the quaint and authentic beach setting at PA. It's real.

The Omni Hotel is only a 30 room hotel but was built to serve as a clubhouse for PA's ever increasing number of residents so it feels much larger. It is the only public facility on the beach and the now familiar beautiful Omni setting refreshes our soul every time we go there.

Breakfast is served at La Veranda, a few steps up from the white sand beach. A few tables are set along the veranda under a roof so you can enjoy breakfast in the shade. The view is beautiful, overlooking the small, quiet, almost private bay. No motor boats or motorized water sports permitted here so nothing disturbs the quaint, special atmosphere. You may see a couple of local divers or snorkelers swimming around but that's it. Further back in the deep water you can see the sport fishing boats anchored for a few hours. You can practically set your watch by the boats leaving the marina and returning at specific times.

The Omni restaurant staff has remained more or less constant over the past 10 years, which says something about the place. Sometimes, as is the case with our friend Jorge, restaurant staff is promoted into reception duties on their way up the management ladder. Everyone is so friendly and they go out of their way to accommodate your needs and special requests. My only complaint is that they allow smoking on the veranda. Hopefully (for me anyway) they will change this rule and make the veranda a non-smoking area.

Breakfast consists of the traditional Mexican specialties and North American fare. Their fruit platter is always good, half a melon with yogurt and granola is lovely and you can have eggs any way you like. For me however the hands down winner is their oatmeal, cooked with cinnamon and milk and served generously in large, deep bowls. A bowl of oatmeal, a basket of local pastries and a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice is my standard Omni breakfast and it's always lovely. If you are having a savory breakfast ask for their fire roasted habanero pepper salsa. I am a true foodie (www.oliveoilandlemons.com) and in my judgment it's exceptional. I often buy some of it to take to our villa and serve it with foods we cook at home (they put it in a styrofoam cup for takeout).

The Omni offers a day pass and I believe the price of the pass is applied towards food and drink that you buy at the hotel (check with the reception). If you buy a day pass then after breakfast sit on the beach under a palapa, walk around the village for a while and come back for lunch on the beach. The beach has a full service bar and lunch can be brought to your chair, feet in the water. You will not be disturbed by beach vendors because there are none on that beach. If you have kids they can paint local pottery on the beach under a palapa in front of the hotel or swim with dolphins in the pools in the center of the village. If you like art you can visit the studio of Belgian artist Peter Terrin who paints and lives in PA.

The beach is not long so this is not the place for a long beach walk but it is interesting to walk to the end and look at the gorgeous homes and condominiums built along the beach and dream a little. The beach is also narrow as much of the sand was washed away in the last couple of hurricanes that descended on PA in the last few years. They are trying to preserve the remaining sand by piling the beach with sand bags and building barriers into the water, both of which detract from the natural beauty, but I sympathize with their dilemma and intentions and see beyond the detractions. Hopefully they can resolve the issue of the encroaching sea soon.

If you come to PA for breakfast and want a long beach walk afterwards just drive five minutes south to Xpuha and there you can have your long beach walk on the gorgeous Xpuha bay and stop for lunch or cool drinks at one of the hotels or restaurants along that beach.

Architect Rivera, the developer of PA is keeping the place family friendly and this is not the place to come looking for wild nightlife. He is somewhat of a renaissance man, being an architect, artist, author, diver, amateur marine archeologist, businessman and a developer. When you visit PA it's his vision that you experience. If you come at night and in season, the restaurants are full with guests enjoying dinner, and live music from the "Pub" restaurant is floating in the warm night's air, but the evening ends relatively early. A couple of the places provide live entertainment and stay open later.

Breakfast in PA is a wonderful way to start a day of touring on the Mayan Riviera. I hope you enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank OliveOilandLemons
Reviewed 23 May 2012

What a great hotel, away from the masses. The beach and pool area were so peaceful. We saw just a handful of guest the entire time we were there between May 9th and 12th.
My favorite was the pool area, that we shared with another pair of guests. The wait staff always made sure we had fresh cool drinks on hand. I also loved the jacuzzi tub on the balcony of our room, that overlooked the pool and beach.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
sjbk, Director of Sales at Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Omni Puerto Aventuras Guests,
We appreciate your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our intimate Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort.
It is truly a hidden gem, tucked away in the gated community of Puerto Aventuras, a truly relaxing, unique village to enjoy your Mayan Riviera vacation.
Our tenured Associates love to provide genuine, warm hospitality and take pride in delivering a memorable experience to all our valued customers.
We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you home again soon, to "su casa".
Scott Balesteri
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Omni Puerto Aventuras hotel. As my husband and I entered the lobby we immediately could hear and feel the ocean breeze. We were greeted by Jorge, the concierge who was friendly, warm and was extremely helpful to us throughout our stay (from calling the car rental company, recommending restaurants in the area). The hotel was small, quiet, very clean and comfortable. The king size bed is firm. I liked the large walk-in shower which is separate from the dressing room.
Puerto Aventuras is centrally located so that you could easily shop in Playa del Carmen which is only 15 minutes north or snorkel in Akumal which is 15 minutes to the south. We took the Collectivo to Playa del Carmen and was only about $3. We ended up renting a car so that we could travel freely throuout the day.
The Omni has a wonderful restaurant called El Xenote that has an excellent breakfast, fresh fruit, eggs made anyway you like them and a wonderful, hospitable wait staff. The ocean view, while eating our breakfast was stunning and memorable. If we visit the Riviera Maya we will go back to El Xenote.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This small 30 room hotel is amazingly comfortable with friendly and attentive staff and a great pool. The beach is gone due to tidal erosion, but literally ten feet to either side of the hotel property is more beach for you to enjoy. Easy access to main highway for collectivo (shared van) trips to ancient sites, other villages, cenotes, or parks for just about two dollars per person instead of the 20-30 dollars a taxi would charge you. Great place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EngTeacher
sjbk, Director of Sales at Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Past Omni Puerto Aventuras Guests,
Thank you for such a wonderful concise review of our intimate boutique resort. We are truly proud of our tenured Associates who pride themselves on genuine, warm hospitality.
It will be an honor to welcome you back home one day soon to enjoy our unique piece of paradise in the Riviera Maya.
Warmest regards,