“Perfect Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed 18 February 2004

My wife and I wanted a place close enough to not have a long plane ride, that would still feel like paradise. We found the Aventura Spa Palace through RCI (Timeshare). We loved the location. It really made for a perfect honeymoon. The place is large enough so you don't feel like you're stuck in one area for the whole week. The amenities are great. Though an all-inclusive resort, we were pleasently surprised at the level of food their restaurants served. 6 Restaurants with different types of cuisine not to include room service. Food includes steaks, sushi, drinks, desserts, and more desserts. Eat and walk out!
If only all restaurants were that way!

The only thing that would've made it better was to have a better view of the ocean. They're mostly partial views. We had to move after the first room once we were able to find another room with a better view.
Rooms are comfortable enough. The large tub by the window was nice as well. Our last day was our 'spa day' and it was great. The scalp massage is incredible and the wraps are funny-feeling but still great also! The open-spa area is great to go 'hang' whenever you have some down time. The hotel is close to Playa del Carmen which is nice to go by and get away from the hotel. Take time to visit the xpu-ha Palace that's near by. Great place to spend the day. If going to Cancun, recommend to rent a car. It's almost the same cost as taking a taxi. If going to any of the tours, be ready to 'waste' time at the jewelry store on the way there.

For city people, we were so relaxed after 6 days that when we went to Cancun, we couldn't stand the noise and brightness. It was hard to get back. We're not drinkers but I hear the drinks are watered-down....what do you expect, they're free!

Highly recommend! Can't wait to go back one day soon.

Jan_Hundrieser, General Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 February 2017
Dear valuable guest.

Thank you very much for visiting us and sharing your comments, we sincerely hope to see you soon here and being able to pamper you like a true Rockstar!

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 February 2004

OK--I was one of those people who read every review of every hotel in the Cancun area for 7 months before deciding on this one for our honeymoon, and I have to say that this place is absolutely fantastic, for lots and lots of reasons. Completely exceeded my expectations (and they were already pretty high!). Here are some details:

1. No children. We are in our mid-twenties so we actually don't mind kids, per se...but once you are at a resort without the yelling and pool splashing, you are grateful! Of course, some of the adults there definitely held their own in the loud (intoxicated) and obnoxious department...but hey, it's vacation...nothing you can't laugh off.

2. Ocean Views and Hammocks everywhere! Nearly every room has a fabulous view of the ocean--although you should know it is a "sideways view", kind of on an angle--unless you get a Presidential Suite or whatever they call the super-deluxe ones. But the double hot-tub in each room is definitely worth it!

3. The Service & Staff: I cannot stop raving about the staff at the Spa Palace. They are the most helpful, polite and friendly staff of any hotel or resort I have ever been to. If you speak ANY Spanish at all--a big bonus! They love you extra for that, even if it's just "Hola" or "Como estas?" It's worth it for you to learn a few token phrases. All of the staff that we met spoke English as well, but their faces light up if you speak Spanish. This might even be more true in the Cancun Airport--I said a few words in Spanish and I had three workers looking for my bags without me even asking. Fun!!

4. The Spa: I had four spa treatments and they were all fantastic--very professional. Be prepared to spend a bit of money on the treatments--but I guess that would be true at any Spa.

5. Food: "Quantity, more than quality" was how my husband and I summed up the food. Not to say that it was bad at all. I read so many reviews from people who said the food was terrible, blah blah blah, but as long as you keep in mind that most of it is buffet-style and they are cooking for 2000 people at once, you will be quite satisfied. At least, we were. Room service is included and also very, very speedy!

6. The Screaming Cat: This is a phenomenon to look out for. Every night, beginning at 11pm and continuing until dawn, a cat screams--I don't know how else to describe it. We found it so bizarre that it was actually more funny than annoying. Again, it's only fair that you're warned in advance--but if you are laid back vacationers like we were, it shouldn't bother you too much. In addition, there are a few cats wandering around the resort, in the open-air hallways and sometimes on the outdoor restaurant patios. But all they do is wander--we never saw them actually approach any people.

7. Tipping is appreciated (even $1) but they treat just as well, regardless if you do or if you don't. In particular, we tipped the maid and the bellboys.

8. Everything you read about leaving your towel on a pool chair bright and early is true! If you don't save a spot by 8:30 or so, you're pretty much out of luck.

A final note (hang in there; I'm almost done!): What I have learned from reading about a million postings is that some people will always find something wrong with ANY place they go. If you keep in mind that you are in Mexico, and the weather is perfect and you are hopefully with someone that you like or love, and most of all that you are on VACATION!!!, then I promise you that you should have a delightful time at the Spa Palace. Don't expect 5 star food, DO expect 5 star service (as long as YOU are polite too!). Have fun!!! And if you actually read this whole review, thank you! : )

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Columbia, SC
Reviewed 17 February 2004

We chose to Honeymoon here after several friends stayed here and we read multiple reviews. We knew exactly what to expect (i.e. no beach, not so good resturaunt (Mudacas)) so we were not surprised with anything. I will write a few Key items that helped make our trip a success: 1) Know what the room ID key means (1st digit is floor, second digit is bldg and last two are room number- lower the room number, closer to the ocean. You want to try and stay on third floor with the lowest possible room number. A note on the building number. We stayed in building 4 which was between the two lobbies. That was perfect because it was an easy walk to either lobby for entertainment of resturaunt. We politely refused the first room assignment and were given a third floor room closer to the ocean. 2) Take about 75 to 100$ in one dollar bills. Makes for easy tipping and ensures you carry as little pesos home as possible. Change in USD is very difficult to find (Ask bell boy was standard answer) 3)Guest Services are there to sell you time shares. They are not there to help you in your hotel stay. We never visited them and saw many many many people on a "tour" with them.
They would even eat breakfast with you. 4) The action at nite is in the south lobby and the south pool. 5) If you want a prime pool chair or any chair at all, you need to put your towel out by 7AM. They still have towel cards so just keep your towel from the nite before and exchange in the morning. 6) The food is all very good. However if you have an adversion to buffets or are real particular with how your food is handled (touched with hands) you need to be advised. 7) When we went offsite on a tour, we got a togot box at breakfast and made Pbutter and Jelly sandwiches on took rolls to avoid eating in mexico. We just didn't take the chance. 8) Shopping We took a half day tour for 3$ each sponsored by Lapis Jewlry Factory. It took you to their store (5 min south for an hour stop then into Playa Del Carma for two hours. There were no deal in Lapis and most of the Salesmen were "Used Car" Type.
Several in our van who knew Jelwrey prices indicated the prices weren't competitive. Playa is where the shops and bargaining can be found. You can make your own deal but be care on the Peso conversion. Your change will be in Pesos. We also found the prices in the gift shops (Except for liquor)to be very reasonable for tourist junk as compared to other places. 9) Drinking - What can I say anything and everything. However, there is no top shelf liquor around. Bicardi rum, jim beam and canadian mist are they common brands. We were told that they do keep top shelf brands "behind the door " of the bar but never saw them. A discrete inquery and tip may get you some. I thought drinks (especially blender) were weak unless you asked for a double. They would make you a double if requested and tips always were appreciated. forgot to mention the free dispensors of tequila, rum, scotch, and brandy in the room. 10) Last but not least, when you check out you need a security pass (their accounting system check) to get on your transportation. It was given to you when you paid your bill. They would cut off your wrist band and write the pass. However, the day before you were invited to pay your bill and check out. We did this but were not given a security pass.
Only when we were asked for it by one of the bell captains working the entrance did we find out. By this time there were 50 people in line and our bus was coming in 10 mins. We were able to see a supervisor and expedite checkout.

Bottom line: It is a great place and read all you can to educate yourself so you won't be surprised.

• Stayed January 2004
8 Thank WVUIE

We stayed here for a week in February/March 2003. The Aventura spa
palace has no beach. If beach lounging and ocean swimming are important
to you than do not stay here. Also, be prepared to get up with the sun
in order to snag a pool chair for the day. This was not difficult for
us as the Aventura spa palace has by far the most uncomfortable beds I
have ever slept on. Also, the food/drink is not bad but it is far from
what I am used to in Mexico at other "upscale" resorts. The service was
below average. In general, we experienced an extremely overworked staff
and very few of them. The majority tried hard to be pleasant but they
were so understaffed it was impossible to give great service. (I have
waited tables) Even over-tipping failed to bring good service--they
were just too busy. Be prepared to fend off voracious time share
salespeople. They called us at all hours, from 7 am to evening, they
attacked us at check-in and every time we walked through the lobby. It
was EXTREMELY annoying.
In terms of rooms they are large, nice, and clean. To me they were sort of tacky with liquor bottles hanging on the wall upside down and a giant bathtub at the foot of the bed, but all in all very pretty rooms and balconies. The Spa side has nicer rooms. We know because we had to change rooms because of the construction noise.

This is a resort for people who like expensive spa treatments, hanging
around a pool, mindless, copious eating and drinking, and goofy
entertainment. (Which is all appealing to me also but I can do this
almost anywhere, why travel all the way to Mexico to do what you could
do in Phoenix or Houston?) I do not recommend the Aventura spa palace
and I would never stay here again. In fact if I won a free trip here I
would try to change it!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 16 February 2004

My husband and I went to the Aventura Spa Palace for our honeymoon. We loved everything about the hotel. The service was out of this world and the hotel was kept extremely clean at all times. Being on our honeymoon, we loved the fact that there were no kids allowed at this resort, although I understand this may be a frustrating factor for those of you with kids. Everyone warned us that the food at all inclusive resorts is never good, so we were pleasantly surprised how good the food was. With 6 restaurants to choose from, we always found something good to eat. The pools were great, and the poolside service was outstanding. We had a continous supply of food and beverages brought to us each day as we laid by the pool. We also took advantage of the spa services, and got 3 massages each throughout the week! I waws extremely surprised how nice the spa was, and how good the massages were! Overall, we had the time of our lives at the Aventura.
We even planned a return trip back there for our one year anniversary!
We would recommend this resort to anyone!

3 Thank Kyna1234

Reviewed 15 February 2004

there were a few disappointments. Firstly, the lagoon is much smaller than is shown on file pictures. Secondly, there is little to no entertainment and this was very disappointing. On the plus side, the food was excellent as were the accommodations. The staff is very polite and eager to make you feel very welcome.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 15 February 2004

My fiance and I went here for 2 weeks (deal through RCI and my aunt---timeshare owner). And we loved every minute. We were greeted with champagne and cold face towls upon check-in and were taxied by golf-cart to our room. We went in the first two weeks of June----no one was there and it's before the rain season, aka "best time to go". We visited the other palace resorts while there and they don't compare food or service wise. We had a great time having a romantic getaway with no kids causing fuss anywhere. I like kids, don't get me wrong but this place is the place to be for THE ultimate getaway from everything and where food, drinks, tours, tips and no worries are included!!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!