“massive disappointment”

GreenLeadersGold level
Havertown, Pennsylvania, United States
“massive disappointment”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The week of November 18 I came to this resort for a conference. It is now a hardrock hotel. We were told that the construction would be complete by the time we arrived but it was so far from the truth. There are now 2 sections of the resort HEAVEN and the SPA. heaven is for adults only. we were told that we would be staying in heaven but only a few rooms are complete and we stayed with the kids. This normally would be bean issue but in the SPA section the walls are so thin that you can hear your neighbors as if they were in your room. I was awoken one night from snoring
When I looked over at my wife I was surprised to find it was not her but the women next door. not to get to gross but I also blamed my wife for a loud sound of what I thought was her passing gas but she wasn't in the room. The food is at best adequate with the French resultant giving you the best quality of meat. them eat at the other eateries is very low grade. The hotel is currently giving a &1500 credit when you book for a week to be used for rom upgrade spa treatment and a few excursions, and I do mean afew. hen I arrived iinformed them when I booked I requested my credit be used on a room upgrade! I booked in August. they told me that it was not possible because it's first come first serve. I asked them how much earlier did I need to make the request and even if there were no more upgradable rooms why was I not informed earlier. As far so the spa that is where I used my credits. I have 3 treatments in the 7 days. although they do have the
Hot and cold pools, saunas and steamroom I was never taken there, they are in a separate areaway from the treatment rooms. Today I had what they termed a "back massage". It was a woman spraying my back with liquid then towels it off. after 30 minutes of this she proceededtoremovemyblackheads on my back. never did she lay her hands on me in a messaging manner. I could go on and on but I think you get what my and the 175 people who attends this conference experienced.

Room Tip: You have to be above ground level
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill D
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Hello Bill D, we appreciate the time you took to send us your feedback, we will take it in consideration for further improvements.

First of all accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay.

We regret to know about the misunderstanding in regards to the RC promotion, I want to let you know that this constantly change, all the months we add or change the services to adequate them for our future guests.

We always recommend you email us before your arrival to inform you about the current promotion.

I am want to hear more details about your recent stay to handle this situation, reason why I´ll send you a private message with my personal info to contact me to start the corresponding follow up and to deliver the feedback to the people involved.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just back from spending a week at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya (our third vacation at this property in the last year) and we will return eventually. The incessant re-construction noise and dust (from 6am until midnight) was clearly a distraction from relaxing. It seemed every building was experiencing tile laying, sawing, hammering, welding, you name it. The spa was not complete: only about 2/3 of the treatment rooms were available and the closed hydrotherapy was under construction - the temporary basement alternate was pathetic. Not all restaurants were complete, reducing the choices of where to dine. While dining at the temporary outdoors-only French restaurant there was re-construction happening 30 feet from our table! . The renovations at beachside should be wonderful with the already added palms, plants, walkway, and shades. Again, ongoing construction of the areas prohibited the relaxation we went to enjoy. We stayed in an already renovated room which was an improvement over previous visits. The rooms still need some attention: towels are frayed, stained, and gray; the furnishings are hard and therefore "cold" so some hangings and plants would help; the toiletries while good were not replenished. The staff remains top notch and continue to be committed to ensuring you enjoy your vacation. The restaurant staff produced excellent food and the wait staff was extremely attentive. Edwin at Ipanema who served us breakfast was especially attentive and remembered our particular likes each day. Sandra Benitiz of the Spa is very caring and went above and beyond in trying to mitigate the situation there. So, all-in-all: wait to go until it is complete as reported by a review not by the Hard Rock.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are quieter and have more privacy. Rooms towards the ends of each buildin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Di K
Hi Di K, we appreciate your feedback, it helps us to improve our service.

We are delighted to know that our staff was attentive and that took care of your needs, we will let Sandra and Edwin that you have highlighted their service.

In the other hand we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experience during your stay, this is certainly not the image we want to provide you.

Please be informed that we will pass on your comments to the MT in order to deliver them. I want to hear more details about your stay in order to take the corresponding corrective measures to the people involved.

I am sending my personal information to contact me to start a follow up.

Montville, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Although we had a few problems:
1.Not getting the room we were promised
2 Having to move by the second night to another room due to leaks in the ceiling
3 The part of the place we were promised was not finished (the heaven side)
The food was ok but the people in the food service were outstanding especially Isaias and Diana. The warm and friendly and did their best to please everyone! They made uo for all the flaws!
There is a lot of work that still has to be done to this place!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Max O! Thank you for your review. We are glad that you made the most of your stay and enjoyed yourself. Indeed, we are very proud of our staff as they make a great job at exceeding our guests’ expectations. They are the one who make every vacation, an unforgettable one. We hope to welcome you once more to show you all the improvements and our new facilities!
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband, Keith, cousins Angela and Joe, just came back from a week long vacation at Aventura Spa Palace, now Aventura Hard Rock. It was awesome! we had such a fun time. The staff who work there are unbelievable, every single encounter we had was beyond our expectations. so friendly and genuinely kind. The food was spectacular, rooms were clean. as a matter of fact, we were the first people to stay in our newly rennovated room. Linens were at least 800 thread count :) We are members of Palace Resorts and Hard Rock. We love all the resorts, we love bringing family and friends with us.
we had a great time swimming with the dolphins although I was a little grossed out when the trainer was "exfoliating" the dolphin because they shed their skin every 2 hours (we were swimming in the same pool, eewwww!). otherwise, the experience was amazing.
we elected to use our resort points several times at the spa. WOW! the massage therapists are excellent!
we did the wine tasting, just when I thought i knew everything about Vino Tinto! let me tell you, Edgar is GREAT!!! he knows his stuff and is very passionate about his wine and his customers. tell him we said HOLA!
nightly entertainment was great, shows are terrific and I sit and think this is all included in our price, wow! the Cirque show was amazing!
the guys at the pool are too funny and have great water aerobics classes, go to them!
last but certainly not least: all of us would love to recognize ALDO, BEST bartendar around and Angela Moo, BEST cocktail waitress. can you say, EXCELLENT??!!! they deserve to be employees of the year! love them!!
thanks for a great time, see you next year!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JenniferZiccardi
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hi JenniferZiccardi! Thank you for your amazing review! We can see you had lots of fun and participated a lot in all the activities and services we offer !We are very proud of our staff, as they are the soul of this resort and be sure we will let Egard, Aldo and Angela know they made a difference in your stay. We are glad to hear that you found the activities to be both informative and recreative. We are thrilled to know that you will be back at our location and please, do not hesitate in contacting us, it will be our pleasure to create another unforgettable experience. For promotions, special events and more, stay tuned to our official website!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I am staying at this resort now, arrived today 11/17/13. We booked a king room in September for travel in November through palace premier member services. I called back about a month ago to confirm my reservation, and it was confirmed as a king room as I had booked it. When we arrived we were told they only had rooms with with 2 full beds. We arrived at 4 pm today and at 6 pm didn't have a room. Finally about 6:30 the front desk staff finally found us a room with a king bed after 2 hours and being told numerous times they had no rooms with king beds. After we finally got a room I will give them credit that the new rooms are a lot nicer than the old ones.Also apparently by the looks of others in the lobby this afternoon there were several unhappy guests. We are Palace Premier members and were before Hard Rock took over this resort, and have been to this Aventura Spa/Cove palace for the last 3 years. As a palace resort member I would recommend any palace resort, all others I have been to the staff was super friendly and went out if their way to make you comfortable as it was with ASP until this trip. However if you are wanting to book in riviera maya do yourself a favor and don't book Hard Rock Riviera Maya that is how bad the front desk experience was today. Don't think I will return or refer anyone to Hard Rock Riviera Maya unless they they can prove to me throughout the week that this was an isolated case. As of right now Hard Rock isn't doing Palace resorts and favors and will hurt the Palace Resorts reputation and image if they keep allowing this type of customer service. Will update on other experiences good or bad as the week progresses.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Josh P
Hello Josh P, thanks for your feedback, we definitely will go back with the staff to deliver it.

I want to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay.

Please take in consideration that special requests are not guaranteed, although we do everything in our power to comply them, we are glad hearing that you received it this particular time.

We are working very hard to renovate our facilities to provide you an exceptional service as always.

I´m sure that the next time that you visit us you will love our resort, a magic and comfortable atmosphere is arriving.

I´ll send you my personal info in case that you want to add something to your feedback.

Leeds, UK
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week in Sept 2012 and has a wonderful time.
The hotel is located about 90 minutes south of Cancun, so it is a decent transfer time. It is a very large complex but the Aventura Spa is one half of the complex, and adult only. Didn't visit the other half so cannot comment on it.
The rooms are in a series of 3 storey blocks and a decent size, with a double Jacuzzi bath and a small triangular balcony with a distant sea view. The coast here is rocky, but the hotel has created a long lagoon (400m) and built several bars in this area as well as creating some sandy beaches and raised areas. The best sunbathing we found was on the raised areas as there was a lovely breeze and decent views.
The lagoon is open to the sea and contains the most wonderful variety of sea life. I snorkelled there most days and saw groupers, zebra fish, incredibly big conch shells, and best of all, on three different days, actual rays. The lagoon varies between 12" and 7' in depth and is so safe my wife finally tried to snorkel, after 30 years of not putting her face in a sea. The hotel lends out snorkel masks and tubes, (but you really need your own flippers)
Besides the life in the lagoon, there are many Iguanas which sun themselves on the rocks everyday and also eagles and frigate birds galore.
There are 4 restaurants of which the Oriental themed one was our favourite. The head waiter Peter (Pedro) and the Sommelier (Edgar) were excellent. This restaurant was part of the Palace chain and will be a Hard Rock themed hotel in 2013. The waiting staff and gardeners etc were fantastic, with a real positive attitude. In fairness. some of the male reception staff weren't on the same level, but overall here and at the Beach palace we found most staff to have an exceptional attitude.
The El Greco restaurant is nearest the pool area and serves Mediterranean themed food, the Mexican themed restaurant was Ok. Didn't think much to the Italian themed restaurant, quite gloomy and not particularly good.
Besides the restaurants, there is a pool bar which serves good burgers and salads etc.
Being bigger, this hotel has a better selection of shops than the Beach Palace, but we hardly bought anything. E.G.. You get $100 towards sunglasses, but they start at $230 so are not particularly good value.
We spent a lot of our resort credit on their excellent wine list as well as two wonderful spa treatments, well worth it. My masseuse, Betty did an incredible job.
Overall a wonderful hotel and well worth spending a week at.

Room Tip: Facing the pool is quite noisy
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Shinyhead69! Wow! Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the installations and services of the hotel and most of all: that your wife had her first experience with the ocean and snorkeling! We would like to thank you for your comments over the service of Pedro, Edgar, Betty and the staff in general; they are the soul of the resort and it is because of their extra efforts that we can extend authentic travel experiences. We hope to welcome you once more and create many other new adventures!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Prior to every vacation I spend hours on tripadvisor reading comments about the resorts. This is the first time I have ever commented and feel the need to because of all the false accusations. First off, I have never seen a resort completely revamp themselves like they are doing, $80 million dollars is being put into this place! This will take some time, 95% of the Cove side is finished and probably on 50% of the Spa side is done. At this time you cannot even walk over to the spa side because of all the construct, which means the gym is still closed for anyone that likes to workout. My husband and I are Palace members and were not planning on vacationing in November, but the deal was too good to be true with the understanding that we would be there while they were under construction. Actually, we found the construction interesting and gained so much respect for all the Mexican workers.

Being a Palace member we know to book everything prior to arrival and with an email to Ofelia (Aventura's vacation planner) we had our spa appointments lined up. Upon arrival, our favorite bellmen Manuel remembered us from last year and it was great to see he was still there, he is a huge asset to this company. Fastest and easiest checkin ever!!

Don't believe everything you read.... everything was open on the Cove side as explained when booking our vacation. The new Heaven side will not be done for awhile, they say December 1st is the grand opening. They have hundreds of hard working people there doing everything they can to meet there grand opening deadline.

Because the spa side (Heaven side) is under construction you must go to the Cove side's main lobby and tell the bellman you have an appointment for the spa and they will take you by golf cart to the spa. We had the luxury to use our favorite spa and once again Emilio was excellent!

The food was excellent! Remember it is all what you make of it. If you are not happy with ANYTHING you eat, they will prepare ANYTHING you want however you want. Our favorite was the grill chefs at the buffet because they could prepare me fish, chicken, steak however i wanted it.

Special thanks to Antonio (Bellman), one day it rained all morning and wasn't going to stop anytime soon, and Antonio called his brother who worked in Cancun and he said it was sunny there so he got us a taxi and we went up to Hard Rock Cancun for the day! Speaking of taxis... ask for taxi 1308 CeCelio, only taxi driver in Mexico who keeps both hands on the wheel and doesn't text and drive.

What keeps us coming back to Mexico? The staff at this resort, period! They are the most genuine, caring, hard working people I have ever met . Please tip when you visit Mexico, it frustrates me to no end when people demand so much and then never tip. Just remember, back in the states we tip for everything we pay for at 20%.

This will be the resort to be at next year with concerts such as: Further - playing in January (sold out), String Cheese Incident tour in February and Dierks Bentley's tour called Boots in the Sand will wrap up a busy February. Love seeing all the concerts you are bring to the resort! Now, if you book Jack Johnson or G Love I will be there!

Congrats to everyone that makes this resort ROCK!! A business is only as good as it's help and all of you ROCK!!

Room Tip: Our room was 9218 9 is the building number, 2 is the floor, even numbers face the north and odd nu...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Laura T
Dear Laura T! First of all we would like to thank you for your review and most importantly, the faith in our service. We are glad to hear that you come back over and over because of our exceptional staff and that people like Ofelia, Manuel, Emilio and Antonio make you feel welcome just like family. We are thrilled to hear you like the new vibe and that you will be back to have a good time or to be moved by our various events! We hope to welcome you soon among family and friends! Stay up-to-date and learn all about our promotions, special events and more on our official website!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!