“Changing to Hard Rock from Palace Resorts” 3 of 5 bubbles

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Changing to Hard Rock from Palace Resorts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Big resort, friendly staff, expectation of room was poor, spent two hours negotiated what we reserved and paid for. December vacation over Christmas in 2012. Previous trip purchased time sharing with the Palace Resorts. Upon arriving, we were provided with a room by the back garden, no view and far away from the main entrance. After 2 hours negotiating room change, we received a nice room, by the pool with ocean view. Our friends booked with regular travel agent , short notice and received a great room, great location. We booked 6 months prior and received bad location?? hmm. Wifi low to poor, good by the pool only. Trip turned out excellent once we settled on room location. Palace resort was experiencing a transition from Palace Resort to Hard Rock. Staff was really friendly and polite. We loved the location and the resort was beautiful. We will try it one more time. Hopefully we get the room we paid for from the start.

Room Tip: Spa was great, limited to only $300 from credit of 1500 provided. Great staff and very good food.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GoodLife1993

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

November 18 - 22. This resort is transitioning to a Hard Rock hotel. The Heaven side (supposed to be Adult side) is under construction and will be for months - Disregard what the hotel website or booking agent tells you. Everything from the lobby to the spa to the beach to the rooms is in some manner of construction. Why go here when you could book at a functioning resort?

Hacienda room design - poorly designed. A jacuzzi takes up a large chunk of space, so the table is squeezed under the LCD screen. The chairs are industrial size and nearly unmovable and unusable. So, the only place to be in the room is on the beds. We realized how uncomfortable it was when the Hilton Airport hotel in Phoenix was much more roomy and comfortable than the resort room.

Booking - We booked and paid for a single King. We were assigned to the family side double beds. No rooms available because all the non-double beds are on the "Heaven" side. The staff would not discuss reducing the fee, only comping some wine that was already part of the All Inclusive cost. Most guests experienced some difficulty in getting a room the first time. And the agents could not do anything.
Food - At most places the food was good to very good, except at the brazilian restaurant. The sides were luke warm, the salad was just a bowl of lettuce, and all the meat was fatty or chewy.
Staff - All the staff were helpful and genuinely friendly. Too bad they are stuck with poor management.
Pool - the pool was excellent. Very nice large wandering design.

But, Don't Go. Seriously!

5 Thank steve0728
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We arrived 11/16 and were surpised of the contruction zone, staff who weren't prepared and refused to help, condition of the rooms, lack of services that were advertised, and the number of people who encountered the same problems as we did. Not to mention being lied too. Wasn't worth the airfare, let alone the cost of the so called "Presidential Suite".

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

11 Thank Richard D
Englewood
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My hubsand and I are Palace Premier Members and have been to the Aventura Spa Palace numerous times. Actually it was our favorite resort because of the adult only section, the wonderful spa, the lobby bar and the peace and quiet. We arrived for a week on November 14. We were aware that Aventura had become a Hard Rock property when we booked our week. We booked a concierge level room on the "Heaven"side with a king size bed. We arrived at the resort and were dropped off at the "cove" or family side lobby. We thought it was very strange since we were expecting to stay on the adult side. We were very upset to learn that the adult only side was not even open. No one ever called to tell us that the adult section was not available. If we had known this we would have booked another resort. Things only got worse when we had to walk through construction and tile work that left dust and dirt all over our shoes. The room was on the first floor, had no view and wasn't finished. The noise was unbelievable. We refused the room and hours later we were shown a nicer room but it wasn't even close to what we thought we had originally booked.

The choice or lack of restaurants was also another source of disappointment. Only three a la carte restaurants were open while we were there. The steakhouse was just awful. The meat was tough and there were very few side dishes offered. The Mexican and Asian restaurants were a lot better but it's not right that there were so few choices.

The spa treatments were great but if you ever experienced the spa when it was a Palace Resort you would be disappointed . You had to wait outside for your treatments and there were very few lockers available for changing. The noise was just terrible. There was no hydrotherapy and everything was very makeshift and camp like.

Since my husband and I are only interested in adult only resorts it is no surprise that we found the family side noisy and crowded. There weren't even enough chairs for people as evidenced by the fact that every time we got up people were asking if we were finished with our chairs. The lobby has a bar area with bench seating that has all the ambiance of a bus terminal.

Needless to say the whole experience was stressful and disappointing. We did not sign up for a family friendly vacation. We expected and paid for the adult only experience and we feel cheated that we didn't it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank SKB5544
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were told that the property was ready and that the conversion to Hard Rock was 99% complete...this was not the case.
The resort is beautiful..staff very friendly and efficient...they did their utmost to make our stay comfortable.
Aside from the constant noise and disruption of construction activities, this is a very nice resort.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

we are staying at the resort at the time of this review rooms 1200 and 1202 in the heaven section for adults only. the prior reviews are correct this resort is not ready to be open. as palace member for over 10 years this place is a disgrace. yes I knew there would be construction around the grounds no big deal I get the weather was a factor. the construction crew should be fired, the sales people ( yes we went to the sales pitch 3 hours of my life I will never get back) told me they renovated the 3rd floor rooms then the construction crews cut holes in the ceiling to run the pipes for the new roof top Jacuzzis then it rained and flooded out the entire 3rd floors in all the buildings ( great job guys) the room how ever is a utter disgrace. I do have a call into the customer relations manager ( we will have to see how that works). the pluses food is good and the staff is trying their best I can see they are getting "beat up" all the time. ...issues in the room presidential suite... doors don't open and sometimes don't close, furniture looks like what ever was 1st in the storage locker was put into this room ( none of the little palace touches). tiles broken. paint dripped all over the place, counter tops not finished. we had to run the water the shower for 45 minuets to get hot water ( luke warm at best). sliding doors not installed properly. I could go on and on.
we booked this room in December 2012. we arrived on Saturday 11-23. on Tuesday 11-19 I received a call form the palace customer service department. " no presidential rooms ready" we will have to stay in 2 smaller rooms in the "family" section. we would be compensated for the inconvenience ( yes I pitched a hissy fit). we were surprised to find out there was a presidential site available now I wish there wasn't.
they are looking for a grand opening on December 1st. I just hope I will be able to voice my issued with the hard rock/ palace people when they get here.
in general this will be a beautiful resort in about 6 months but until that time I would recommend NOT staying here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jack8952
Havertown, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

The week of November 18 I came to this resort for a conference. It is now a hardrock hotel. We were told that the construction would be complete by the time we arrived but it was so far from the truth. There are now 2 sections of the resort HEAVEN and the SPA. heaven is for adults only. we were told that we would be staying in heaven but only a few rooms are complete and we stayed with the kids. This normally would be bean issue but in the SPA section the walls are so thin that you can hear your neighbors as if they were in your room. I was awoken one night from snoring
When I looked over at my wife I was surprised to find it was not her but the women next door. not to get to gross but I also blamed my wife for a loud sound of what I thought was her passing gas but she wasn't in the room. The food is at best adequate with the French resultant giving you the best quality of meat. them eat at the other eateries is very low grade. The hotel is currently giving a &1500 credit when you book for a week to be used for rom upgrade spa treatment and a few excursions, and I do mean afew. hen I arrived iinformed them when I booked I requested my credit be used on a room upgrade! I booked in August. they told me that it was not possible because it's first come first serve. I asked them how much earlier did I need to make the request and even if there were no more upgradable rooms why was I not informed earlier. As far so the spa that is where I used my credits. I have 3 treatments in the 7 days. although they do have the
Hot and cold pools, saunas and steamroom I was never taken there, they are in a separate areaway from the treatment rooms. Today I had what they termed a "back massage". It was a woman spraying my back with liquid then towels it off. after 30 minutes of this she proceededtoremovemyblackheads on my back. never did she lay her hands on me in a messaging manner. I could go on and on but I think you get what my and the 175 people who attends this conference experienced.

Room Tip: You have to be above ground level
1 Thank Bill D
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Hello Bill D, we appreciate the time you took to send us your feedback, we will take it in consideration for further improvements.

First of all accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay.

We regret to know about the misunderstanding in regards to the RC promotion, I want to let you know that this constantly change, all the months we add or change the services to adequate them for our future guests.

We always recommend you email us before your arrival to inform you about the current promotion.

I am want to hear more details about your recent stay to handle this situation, reason why I´ll send you a private message with my personal info to contact me to start the corresponding follow up and to deliver the feedback to the people involved.

Regards,
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,574 reviews

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!