“Treat you like a VIP!!!!”

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Treat you like a VIP!!!!”
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Really, this was a fantastic place to stay.....all rooms have a view of the Sea....the staff was extremely friendly and say hello to you with a friendly smile! The Palace resort chain also lets you visit their other properties,at no charge, and enjoy their locations pleasures as well. The Playacar Palace in Playa de Carmen has a blue ribbon beach where one can spend the entire day (all-inclusive) and take in the sounds of the waves crashing on the sands....at approx. 3:30 a shuttle leaves and takes you back to Puerto Adventuras.
The nights out in Adventuras are amazingly quiet and perfect for sleeping soundly with the patio door wide open. Each room has a two person hot tub in it. They were very modern and cleaned twice each day....I better say something about the food....awesome! Never had a bad meal or cup of coffee!!!

• Liked — Very little night noise but lots of quality perks...
  • Disliked — no natural beach available....only small lagoon..
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank landlockedwanderer
Mara J, Customer Service at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 9 April 2017
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to share us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
new jersey
Reviewed 18 January 2009

We just came back from Mexico 2 days ago. Not the best time to go. The resort property is huge and you take a shuttle bus from one side of the resort to the other. People that work here are very friendly, helpful and nice. Willing to do what ever you need while there. NO beach at all. You must get transportation to Playa Del Carmen which was only 20 min away and 16 dollar cab fare. That was cool because you can take the ferry over to Cozumel. The beds are rock hard but you room is very clean and cleaned each day. If you want luxury, go elsewhere. The spa was awesome!!! Great services. No activities for when its raining. OUr whole trip it rained so we had to entertain ourselves. DO NOT INGEST THE WATER! We have had Montezuma's Revenge for 5 days. Food is okay. Steakhouse is by far the best. We made the best of it because it was our honeymoon... DO some research before you go.

• Liked — the service by servers and all in the hotel
  • Disliked — large resort, activities on resort, beds
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank princessbasi
sicklerville,nj
Reviewed 18 January 2009

This was our first experience with an all-inclusive vacation. The trip from the airport to the resort took an hour. As we were riding (for what seemed forever) we were questioning the wisdom of booking this resort. We felt like we were in the middle of nowhere! Upon arrival we realized that we made a good choice. This place is absolutely incredible! Check in went smoothly and we were offered a drink a soon as we got in the door. The ladies were given a flower -a nice touch! The room was clean & comfortable. We loved everything! The patio with the hammock, the huge in-room jaccuzi, and the bathroom was huge! The room was larger than an average hotel room. We had 2 beds & a roll-away in the room. Room Service was prompt and the staff very friendly and helpful. The refridgerator was kept stocked with beer, soda, juice -whatever you wanted...The in room liquor dispenser was stocked with 4 liquors.
Just a hint - if you go. The resort tells you that your tips are included in the all-inclusive fees, but we found out that the staff makes the equivalent of $5 a day. We tipped our maid, and she bent over backwards to give us extra towels & toiletries, and the room was always kept clean. There were four of us in the room -so this was no easy task! We also tipped the wait staff both at the pools & at the restaurants. Service was excellent in the restaurants (Our favorite was the Italian), and we were never thirsty at the pool!
The resort was beautiful. We enjoyed the pools. Especially the south pool with the swim-up bar. It is important to note that it is not safe to swim in the ocean at this resort! There is no beach. I am a beach person, and thought that I would be disappointed, but was not. We spent a day at the man-made beach-lagoon area, and it was great. My son took advantage of the rock-climbing wall & the sports. There are too many available activities to list them all. You could stay busy 24-7 or relax in a beach chair & do nothing! My husband golfed at Playacar which was about 15 minutes away. We also took advantage of the spa -which was very nice.
My daughter & I took the excursion to Chitzanetza -which was incredible. We all spent 1 day in Cozumel too. The shopping is great over there. Much better than in Playacar.
Overall, this a great resort and I would love to go again, but it is not really a family resort. This resort was pretty much couples and honeymooners.
Even though our children (who are young adults) enjoyed the vacation, they had to go to Playacar to party with other young singles. The night life at Playacar was much more fun than at the resort, but there are several bars with entertainment & a disco on site.The only other caution is beware of the time-share sales. This resort is part time-share, and they will try to rope you into a presentation. Of course, we said no...but then they offered us 2 rounds of golf (value $400 at playacar) and $200 credit at the spa.For $600, we just couldn't say no. We spent our 90 minutes with the salesman,we did not buy, and I'm happy to say he wasn't the nasty high-pressure type of salesperson you sometimes get at these presentations. If we wanted to vacation in Mexico every year, we would have been tempted to buy. This place really is beautiful!

• Liked — The way were treated! We felt like VIP's
  • Disliked — The distance from Cancuun's airport
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank debsdream
Hollis
Reviewed 16 January 2009

We spent a week at the ASP in October as a romantic getaway without the kids. We like to scuba dive on our vacations and enjoy a little luxury when we can get it.

Before I start on the hotel, I want to say something about the time of year we went: Since it's still hurricane season, I was a bit concerned about the weather. It was ok though, we had two torrential downpours and an additional half day of rain and drizzle, but otherwise the weather was very nice, mostly sunny, not humid, without winds and very warm.

The fact that it was off-season helped with the packages they threw at us, our room fare included unlimited trips to the Mayan Sites, one day at Wet and Wild, unlimited complimentary calls to the US, one day of swimming with the dolphins and 15 dollars towards a spa treatment. There was more in a little booklet of vouchers, specifically if you wanted to golf (which we didn't) but I can't remember now what it was. All in all, it might be worth considering to go there during the low season.

One aspect we hadn't paid enough attention to was the size of the hotel. It's HUMUNGOUS. We usually choose small resorts, and this one was a first in a place with over 1600 rooms in 10 buildings that look like 1980s appartment blocks. They try very much to come up with architectural gimmicks to distract from this fact, but it was still pretty much apparent to us. There is a plaza in the middle of the resort, which looks just like a GIANT concrete football field which again added to the rather intimidating atmosphere. The fact that there was a perceived occupancy rate of 2% for the first two days of our stay didn't help much, either. I've never been at a resort where you practically see no other guests and everything is hushed and empty. That impression changed after a few days, though, and is also not so apparent in or around the two lobbies.

The other thing we didn't know before we left for our vacation was that the artificial beach was not actually sandy, but consisted of some kind of sand-colored small gravel. I didn't mind it very much, but my husband grumbled about it incessantly and said that it had not been a smart move of us to choose a hotel in an area that is world-famous for its endless sandy beaches to end up in one that didn't even have direct access to the ocean. But then again, we could have known that in advance, as noone hides this fact from travelers.

The lagoons themselves were amazing, apparently fish and marine life starts to accept them as habitats and we encountered several interesting species of fish and crustaceans while snorkeling there. Both lagoons seemed to be clean, and we couldn't detect any of the smells that some other reviewers have commented on.
The pavillions (originally for massages?) built into the lagoons were deserted and boarded up, though, which added to the slightly desolate atmosphere I mentioned earlier.

Our room was very nice and clean, set up a bit oddly with the Jacuzzi right in the living room, but we didn't spend a lot of time there, anyway. Housekeeping was meticulous and the turn-down service a nice treat, even though they often knocked while we were getting ready for dinner, went on to another room and then never came back to get ours ready. But hey, if push comes to shove, I can pull back my covers myself...

The restaurants were good, not exceptional, but very agreeable, food slightly above average at most, slightly below in the Trattoria. I especially recommend the Mexican and the Californian restaurant. I'm not a big fan of the "light" cuisine, but their chef did a very good job - and the waiters are amazing. Watch out for Israel, while he is very attentive and polite, he's also extremely charming and at times goofy and just spreads a good mood. We went back there just because it was so much fun interacting with him during our meal.
I was not impressed with the asian restaurant, and one of our tries to get into the Steakhouse was thwarted by a very, very cocky and unfriendly maitre d'.

They passed out survey sheets halfway through our stay, and I commented on this fact, and instantly got a call from customer relations apologizing and inquiring about that incident, so they really seem to be working hard at pleasing everybody at all times, which is probably impossible..

Drinks were considerably sub-par. Very thin and watered down, and we had no wine there with any of our dinners that we thought was better than ok.

The Cafe was wonderful! After a few days, we went there twice a day, for crepes in the afternoon and later for an after-dessert-dessert of ice cream. Everything we had there was delicious and the coffees and mocchacinos simply heavenly.

There's not much at all going on along the line of water sports, since there is no access to the actual ocean. You can cayak in the lagoons, which is fine, and the snorkeling as I mentioned is surprisingly eventful. For Scuba Diving we were shuttle-bussed to a neighboring resort in Puerto Aventuras, which was at the time closed for repairs and only the small diving center was open. The dive was relatively uneventful, our dive master knowledgable and very willing to find impressive sightings for us, but quite generally I had thought the area would be more interesting. I'd recommend to do some research in advance and to try and book dives to specific sites closer to Cozumel. (Which is a long ways away by boat, though)

We went on one trip to Chichen Itza, and were prepared for the marketing stop at the Mayan place. Actually, after reading all the reviews here, I even anticipated it as our chance to do some souvenir shopping. What I didn't know was that we would return there on our way back from Chichen Itza for a not very impressive buffet lunch. If I did it again, I'd use the first stop to shop around for a bit and then compare their prices to the ones of the million vendors at Chichen Itza, whose wares our guide had poo-pooed on the trip there as chip knock-offs while the ones at their coop were the real handcrafted thing, but honestly, I'd be very surprised if they didn't fall off the exact same conveyor belt. I didn't compare prices though, so I can't comment on that, but if you do, know that you can come back to the Coop and buy your stuff there at your second stop.

Waiters and staff were very friendly and helpful at all times.

Even though my overall impression of the resort wasn't overwhelming, and we will try to find a smaller place again for our next vacation, we had a wonderful stay there and enjoyed ourselves greatly. We felt pampered.

• Liked — The excellent, dedicated and friendly service
  • Disliked — Its giant size and initmidating architecture
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tashadan
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 January 2009

ASP is absolutely wonderful!!! All the reviews I've read in the Tripadvisor forum are completely true!

My bf and I stayed at ASP for 7 nights/8 days during the end of August 2008. This is the first time that we've been to an all-inclusive place where EVERYTHING is included in the price--food, drinks + alcohol, taxes, tips. Now, we're spoiled so wherever we go, we're looking for "all-inclusive"! Although we still tipped the employees because they work so hard and provide such impressive service.

The grounds and facilities at ASP are beautifully manicured. The people at ASP are amazingly warm and friendly and seem to live to please you in every way possible. They work really hard and are diligent about everything they do.

Our room had a double-person jacuzzi right inside that we used almost every night! The room was turned over every day, and it looked like the jacuzzi was even cleaned every day. Sometimes, in the evening, we'd receive a call from housekeeping that they wanted to come in and turn over the room again! Incredible!

All the restaurants were amazing, and the food was absolutely wonderful! It wasn't very crowded during the the time we visited, so we just walked into any restaurant at any time of the day, and we were immediately seated. The waiters/waitresses totally catered to our every whim. For instance, I was surprised that as we walked back from the buffet, they would approach us and ask to carry our food back to our table. From the dessert place, we often ordered things for take-out before going back to our evening for the night.

The two pools were sparkling (though I didn't like that there were some bees flying around). You could easily swim up to the bar and get a drink.

The two lagoons were fabulous! You could easily stand up in them as they're only 4 feet deep. We saw many more fish species here at ASP's lagoons than when we took the snorkeling tour to Cozumel, which required several boat rides that made me somewhat queasy (i'm prone to sea sickness). Plus, as I've already mentioned that because it wasn't high season and ASP wasn't crowded, my bf and i had the entire lagoon to ourselves! You can even order drinks/food to enjoy at the chaise lounges next to the lagoons.

In terms of the night life, there was a different show every night. We saw an outdoor fire show and a Mayan Indian show. From other people we met there, we heard there was also a Casino night.

My bf and I even tried out the gym (which is also included in your all-inclusive package) and took a free one-hour salsa lesson. There were only 3 couples total so we got some personalized tips. That was fun!

We also tried out the spa, and I think it's definitely one of the most beautiful spas i've every seen. We did the couples massage, and then later went to the separate men and women jacuzzi areas. First, you enter into this podlike shower to rinse off and then you can go into the steam room. afterwards, there's a feet-only type jacuzzi and also several other cool, warm, and hot jacuzzis for you to enjoy.

all in all, my bf and i had a spectacular time ... so spectacular that we're planning to go back very soon and even invested in the Palace Resorts, which owns ASP. Trust me, when I say that my bf and I are not ones to be so easily pleased and impressed.

• Liked — EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jbruin
boston
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Us- Two couples, experienced travelers.

First off let me say I rarely go on vacation and am not somewhat ready to return after a full week. I am going to go out on a limb and maybe say this is the first time in my life that I was not at all ready to leave and would have stayed another week without question!

-Room: Standar Rooms have a jacuzzi tub, decent bed, nice shower

-Staff: Hands down the best service I have had at a resort ever. You couldn't sit by the pool and not be asked for a drink in a timely fashion. The overall staff was very impressive, friendly, and accomodating. This was the overall impression from not just us but other guests.

-Food: No all inclusive vaction is going to please everyone at every meal. A couple of our meals over the course of the week were just Ok but overall the food was very good. The Mexican resteraunt is great, the italian is great, the greek is ok. Buffets were adequate, I had a create your own fresh omelete every morning. You could also do panckakes & waffles and a bunch of other stuff made fresh.

-Pool: One word "Amazing" the pool area of this place is fantastic. They have two huge pools (South side pool is huge).

-The no beach thing. Don't let this keep you from considering this place. The lagoon is actually pretty cool. You can snorkle, kayake in it, and def. can swim in it. The fish come right up to while you wade. It does have a beach type of area off the lagoon that you can lounge in.

-The reort: Resort is def. huge, we used the shuttle quite a bit as it is a 5-10 minute walk from one side to the other. The south side of the hotel was a little quiet as they are changing it a bit and reopening it to include accomodating kids. The grounds are very pretty and well maintained. Overall is a beutiful place.

-Tours: For the most part we laid near the pool and near the lagoon but one day we did the paradise (Maroma Beach) snorkle which was very cool . The snorkling was great. My girlfriend and I got massages (Spa Quality) right in a hut on the beach. I told my girlfriend I was going to leave her for the massage girl because it was that good of a massage. Maroma Beach is very nice, the sand is beutiful and it is a relaxing nice place.

We stayed New Years eve and they had an elaborate party including ice sculptures in the conference room . It included lobster & filet's. I think there was about 800-1000 people.

You are making a smart decision if you book this place. It is fantastic!

We will be returing to ASP within a year or two and are very happy with our overall stay here. It was a great vacation for both myself and the people I was with.

• Liked — Staff Was Amazing
  • Disliked — Resort Was A little Quiet, 50% Occupancy (Last year they had 90%), Poor Economy Is The Reason.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank bahstonsox
Orlando
Reviewed 4 January 2009

My wife and I took our twin 21 year old and 18 year old daughters for a family vacation. Since this may be our last vacation together for some time, we wanted to experience some place wonderful and our travel agent recommended ASP. We read the reviews and most were extremely positive. We came there two days after Chrismas and left the day after New Years.

We had an incredible time. There was something there for all of us to enjoy. We ate at all the restaurants (except the Mexican because we ran out of time) and the food for breakfast, lunch and dinner was absolutely incredible at every place we ate a meal. The service was the best we have experienced any where and the staff were absolutely wonderful. Don't fret over not knowing Spanish. The staff at ASP speaks better English than many Americans.

There were plenty of activities during the day with good shows at night. You can do so much or nothing at all and just enjoy it. We only took one of the tours - Talum Express. It was short and did not take up the whole day. Very interesting place and I recommend as a great way to get off the property to see something else.

We did not do the Chichen Itza because it is an all day trip. You spend most of your time on the bus and only two hours at the Mayan wonders. We were told that you could no longer go into them. You can only look at them from afar. We decided we did not want to spend 7 hours on a bus to see anything in this world. We recommend signing up for your trips as soon as you get there. We wanted to do snorkling which we heard was incredible, but it booked up fast and is only done on certain days.

The wife and daughters did the Spa and said it was incredible. The entire facility is top of the line. There were no waits to get in line for anything which was wonderful.

We did go to the presentation on buying weeks at any of the Palace resorts, of which there are many. We turned it down because it was a little too much pressure for us and we are the kind of people who have to think about it over a few days.You really don't get a chance to think about it. However, the sales people were respectful. If we were in the situation where we could plan a week of vacation in advance a couple of times a year, we would have done it on the spot. If you go to the presentation, keep saying "no" or "you have to think about it" and they keep giving you a better deal.

All in all, we would go back to this place again and probably will. The only downside for us was we had to leave. Go and enjoy yourself. It's worth it.

• Liked — The pools and service
  • Disliked — no beach
  • Stayed December 2008
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!