“Huge Resort w/ a Great Staff, Great for all ages.”

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Huge Resort w/ a Great Staff, Great for all ages.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

We booked our stay at Aventura through RCI Extra Vacations.

We are a couple in our mid and late 20's and prefer All-Inclusives after visiting this resort. Let me start by saying that yes, the staff go above and beyond their call of duty to make sure you are enjoying your stay. However the front desk staff is not as personable and I've seen them be quite rude, however this was the only downfall of the hotel and it could have just been they were having a bad day upon our arrival.

ROOMS: The rooms are sufficient. The bathrooms are gorgeous with huge walk in showers and include a bench which was nice to have. The sink is outside of the bathroom which also made it easier for us to get ready at the same time. The bed is huge, we didn't find it hard at all. The jaccuzzi is also a nice touch and the balcony had a beautiful view from most directions. We had a corner room and it overlooked the North side pool, it did not however have a hammock as the corner rooms do not contain hammocks.

FOOD: We loved Mundaca (The steak restaurant) and enjoyed La Hacienda the most. We also enjoyed the bufets for lunch at al of the restaraunts that wer open. Breakfast could be served later in my opinion but that's because we party hard at night and don't get up until around 10. There is nothing bad to say about their food except room service menu could be stepped up a bit.

EXCURSIONS: If we paid in advance we received 7 free excursions, we only chose to go on two. We went to wet and wild and did the dolphin swim which was around 120 per person for a full encounter. This was something I'll never forget. We also did the Chitchen Itza and I found it boring and hot but my boyfriend loved it (just a differnece of opinion). They do stop off at a little communal place wehre the vendors try to sell you items, we found them to be non pushy but didn't buy anything. THe food that we ate was real mexican and it was included in the tour (except for drinks) and it was really good. You could even go up for seconds.

SPA: AMAZING! The prices are on par with what I pay in NYC for a decent massage so I didn't find them pricey and they were great and SO relaxing. Definitely recommend the hydrotherapy! Also their gym facilities are decent. My boyfriend works out 5 days a week and he said their facilities were sufficient enough for him to maintain his normal workout regimen.

All in all I have to say this was one of our best vacations yet.

Would we go back? Maybe, there are so many other places to visit we want to try them all, however we have discussed that after our two trips this year if none match up to Aventura next year we may make one of our trips one back to Aventura. We do hear however they are changing the South side into a Family side and one of the joys of staying at Aventura was not having children around....so we aren't positive yet.

I always read tripadvisor for help on resorts and I hope this helped someone out there the way everyone's helps me.

One thing I would like to see more of is the managers on staff walking around making sure their guest are cared for like other resorts. However this could just be that the week we were there they weren't around.

• Liked — Staff, Pool Scene, Food, SPA!
  • Disliked — Check-In Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Krizstyling
Mara J, Customer Service at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to share us your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

This vacation was off to a bad start. We booked through American Express so we had an AMEX van that picked us up from the Cancun airport. The van was packed full and the trip which should have taken an hour or so, took over 3 hours because the van was dropping off couples at several different resorts. Since our resort was furthest from the Cancun airport, we were last to be dropped off. We traveled on a dirt road FULL of huge pot holes and I was car sick within 30 minutes (and I have never been car sick before) delivering people to the Maroma Beach resort area. So it would have been MUCH better (and worth it) to pay for private transportation to and from the airport.
The hotel (Aventura Spa Palace) was beautiful, but huge. it took us 4 days just to find our way around the resort. It rained at least 1/2 the day, every day we were there. Our room was very nice, but there were lots of tiny little bugs (ants?) crawling around the bathroom and sink. The staff was very nice and willing to do anything you asked. Room service was okay, nothing special. The food was marginal..I was expecting a little better food, but it was okay. Breakfast buffets were good. Steak was pretty good at dinner. There is no beach- so don't stay here if you are wanting to lay on the beach. There is a lagoon area which is good for snorkeling, but not the type of sand you want to lay out on if the beach is what you're looking for. The spa was really nice. We got a couples massage and it was awesome. The pool was a lot of fun- always a lot of activities going on and the poolside food was better than the restaurants (in my opinion). We would go down there just to get food at lunchtime.
Go on the snorkeling tour offered by the hotel. It was a great tour- and close by. We rented a jet ski and that was hands down the best part of our vacation. The water was beautiful and it was a blast. We also booked a deep sea fishing trip through the hotel and that was fun. My boyfriend and I eat caugh 2 barraccuda. We would definitely recommend that. My boyfriend got some sort of parasite during our trip and ended up losing a lot of weight and spending a lot of time in the bathroom. My advice- take LOTS of pepto bismol, anti-diarrhea medicine and lots of dollar and 5 dollar bills because everyone wants and expects tips. I took about $200 just in $1 bills and it still wasn't enough- we were there for 4 nights and although the resort was beautiful, we were more than ready to come home.

• Liked — paradise snorkeling tour, renting jet ski
  • Disliked — It took so long to walk everywhere
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jrabbit3
long beach,ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

We arrived at the airport and stood in line at immigration for over an hour. After standing in another short line we went outside. Since we booked our flight with AAA and Pleasant Holiday, we went to the person holding up the Pleasant Holiday sign and she told us where to go to catch the bus. It took us one 1/2 hours to get to the resort. We were greeted by a strange Bell Hop, who called himself Jay Leno. It made for a fun beginning. As we entered the resort we were greeted by a lady who said she would help us plan our trip and she took us to the reception desk, where we were given our room keys and wrist bands that we were to wear as long as we were at the resort.
We signed up for Chichen-Itza, Talum and the sales tour. Later we signed up for the kitchen tour and Xcaret.
The following is our impression of the resort, restauants and tours.
Resort- The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. The grounds and pools were beautiful and the Spa was wonderful. You learn to say "Hola" to all the employees you pass. The lady that greeted us was having problems with the computer and we got signed up under the wrong name and almost didn't get to go on the first tour, but everything was corrected later.
Restaurants-
La Huerta- California Light. The soup and entree were good and the bread and dessert were OK. Service was wonderful.
Mo Mo No Hana- Oriental- The Tereakai was wonderful and my husband liked the fish.
El Greco- We had breakfast here and also the lunch buffet. The food was Ok, but only warm.
La Hacienda- We were the first ones in the restaurant the night we eat there and the staff were all waiting at the door and clapped when we came in. The pork with green sauce was good.
La Trattoria- Italian- was the nosiest, but again the food was good.
Mundaca- Argentina- Disappointing- the steak was thin and I did not care for the flavor and even the baked potatoe did not taste right. The chocolate cake was the best I had tasted so far at the resort.
Ventanas- We only went here for the lunch buffet and they are all mostly alike. Ok, food, but not hot. I did have a wonderul chocolate cappuccino here.
We had room service for breakfast the morning of our tours because we were in a hurry and the food was good and it was hot.
The bars buy the pools had fast food and wonderful nachos you make yourself. The guacamole was wonderful.
I noticed with all the restaurants that the service was fast, they don't rush you, but they are ready to take things away when you are done.
Tours-
Chichen Itza- This was a wonderful tour, our guide was a native Mayan and an Archeologist. The trip was two hours and our guide taked to us the whole trip. He took us around the grounds and explained everything to us. The buffet lunch was not that good, but we did not eat under four and we were starving. The trip back was quiet, but we had a lot to think about.
Talum- A waste of time, except the view of the beach. The guide was not good and the sight was not near as good as Chichen Itza.
The Sales Pitch- This was OK, but a little pushy, but when we complained they backed off. We got $300. for the spa and $50. for other expenses.
Kitchen Tour- The tour was great and the guide did a wonderful job. We got to see the workings of the kitchen and to see how the employees are treated. Of course we saw and heard what they wanted us to, but I believe the employees are happy there.
Xcaret- A big disappointment, especially since the trip cost us almost $200. We enjoyed the beach and the evening show, but the rest was not worth the price. Maybe coming from Southern California we are spoiled with amusement parks. I will say if you want to see how the game that is played at Chichen Itza you will see it at the evening show and is it quite entertaining.
For check out- We were called to see when we wanted our bags picked up and we were allowed to stay and have lunch after check out. The staff was good to see that we got our ride to the airport.
Great place to stay.

• Liked — Everything was all inclusive and the place was beautiful
  • Disliked — The sale pitch
4 Thank grandmahazel
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

Our visit to the Aventura got off to a bad start. We requested a 3rd floor room, king bed, north end and were offered a 1st floor, double queen in the most southern building. We were told that there were several large corporate groups that had blocked off sections of the resort for the week. (We had booked this trip several months before). The best we could get was a second floor, double queen in the middle. On the third day we were there we were given a 2nd floor, king bed in the north end. Unfortunately, this room smelled very musty. When we mentioned this, they sent a maid with a spray bottle of Chembreeze. This helped. We took the bottle and used it for the rest of our stay. This made the smell tolerable.
The only other complaint we had was the noise in the corridors at night. When people talk in the halls it seems to amplify the noise. Groups come back for the night and loudly say goodnight in the hall in front of their rooms. It sounds like these people are yelling in your room.
This was our 3rd stay at the Adventura. The food has always been good, but it was even better this year, especially at the Italian and Japanese restaurants. They have added some Chilean, and Argentinian wines that are really good.
The staff is, as always ,top notch. Everybody is so friendly and helpful. Even with our room problems, the front desk did all they could to meet our wishes.
For the golfers. There is a nine hole golf course at Puerto Aventuras. The Aventura does not have an affiliation with this course so nobody will even admit that it exists. It is only an $8 cab ride to south. This course does not have much play. My wife and I played 18 holes in 3 hours without seeing another golfer until a single caught up to us on 16. The rental clubs are Adams. The condition of the course is OK. The greens are a good speed and will hold any kind of shot. The course is fairly wide open but the ball runs into trouble down the edges. It's also bad news if you hit through the doglegs. This course is not that fancy, but it is enjoyable to play and it is less than 50% the cost of the Playacar or Moon.
The Aventura is going to have families stay in the south end in April. We commented to management (and anyone else who would listen) that we will not be back if this resort is not adults only. We will be monitoring this website to see how this change turns out.
It also seems that there is strong push to accommodate corporate groups.
Our main attraction to the Aventura is the peace and tranquillity of this beautiful place. The addition of families and corporate group does not suit the flavour of this resort.

• Liked — The Spa, beauty of the grounds
  • Disliked — Musty smell in the room
5 Thank R_LOntario
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

First off this place is great for a honeymoon. My wife and I have never been on vacation by ourselves. We have previously been to Punta Cana and Jamaica but that was with large groups of friends. Here we were treated like kings for a week and everyone went out of their way to tell us congrats. Because it was out honeymoon we got some extra perks, like free tee shirts, 10% off everything in the gift shop, and a bottle of champagne in our room.
STAFF:
We were very happy with the staff at the resort, everyone was very friendly and willing to do anything you asked with a smile on their face.
GROUNDS:
This place is huge!! It is by far the biggest resort I have ever been to, but it did not bother us at all. Our room was on the South side of the resort which was nice because it is the more "active" side of the resort. Plus is had the martini bar and the disco on that side as well. The resort itself is beautiful, especially at night when all of the pool lights are lit up. If you nor much of a walker there is a shuttle that goes between the two lobbies about every 15 minutes. But if you don't mind the walk for one end to the other only take about 10 minutes. Not having a beach was not a very big deal to us. They have a sandy area surrounding the lagoons which was ok for us.
ROOMS:
Not a single complaint here. We were in a room that was not facing the Sea but we were Ok with that because it gave us more privacy and it was really quiet at night. The room itself was perfect, the bed was huge and comfy and it was made every day with a turn down at night. The mini bar is great, the only problem I had with it was you cannot change the bottles of booze in there. I like dark rum and I asked if I could exchange the white for a dark but they told me I could not. Not a bid deal though because I didn't spend much time drinking in my room anyway.
FOOD:
I can't say that this was the best food I’ve ever had on vacation but it was still pretty good. The breakfast buffets were nice because they always had a good selection of foods to choose from. The Mexican place was awesome for obvious reasons, and I highly recommend getting a Mayan coffee very good. The oriental place was really good too. They have great sushi and you can get as much as you want. Just a tip the seafood dishes at all of the places probably include octopus and squid so if you not a fan don’t order the seafood. The Italian place was also very good the pasta is made fresh right in front of you and you can pick what you put in it. The steak here is also very good. Mundaca and El Greco are pretty much the same. They are more casual but the food is still very good. The snack bar by the pool was nice for a quick food fix and the burgers there were surprisingly very good. All in all the food isn't out of this world or anything but I was still happy with it.
TOURS:
We had a bunch of tours included with our package but we only took advantage of 2 of them. The first one was a tour of Tulum. I was kind of disappointed in this one but I think it was mainly because our tour guide was an old Mexican that talked very slow and moved even slower. When we got to the ruins he sat down on a rock and mumbled about nothing for at least 30 minutes. After about ten my wife and I just left the tour and explored on our own. This was ok but I didn't get as much out of it as I wanted to. And to top it off on the way back we were forced to stop at some side of the road souvenir shop that he was somehow connected to for 45 minutes, you could browse the entire shop in ten.
The other tour we took was better it was the paradise snorkeling. The bus ride was pretty short and when we got there were got right on the boat and took off. After about a 10 min ride we were given instructions and jumped in, and the ocean life was great and you could see a lot of very interesting things. After this was over we went back to shore and had the option to pay for some other activities or just relax on the beautiful beach. This was a nice relaxing day and we returned to our resort by 3:00.
One thing I highly recommend is the kitchen tour, it takes an hour and they let you go though the kitchens and store rooms to see how things are prepared and what they go through to ensure that your food is clean and fresh. Also you get to keep the apron they give you to wear, which is kind of corny but nice.

Drinks: The best part of the trip...this place has all top shelf booze and a million different ways to mix it, and they are NOT stingy about pouring so booze into it. I am from Wisconsin so this was kind of a bid deal for me and I was not at all disappointed.

All in all I could not have asked for a better place to go for our honeymoon, or just for a vacation. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good relaxing time.

• Liked — The whole experience was Great!!
  • Disliked — The weather was kind of glomy most of the time but not the resorts fault.
5 Thank schultzy63
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Really, this was a fantastic place to stay.....all rooms have a view of the Sea....the staff was extremely friendly and say hello to you with a friendly smile! The Palace resort chain also lets you visit their other properties,at no charge, and enjoy their locations pleasures as well. The Playacar Palace in Playa de Carmen has a blue ribbon beach where one can spend the entire day (all-inclusive) and take in the sounds of the waves crashing on the sands....at approx. 3:30 a shuttle leaves and takes you back to Puerto Adventuras.
The nights out in Adventuras are amazingly quiet and perfect for sleeping soundly with the patio door wide open. Each room has a two person hot tub in it. They were very modern and cleaned twice each day....I better say something about the food....awesome! Never had a bad meal or cup of coffee!!!

• Liked — Very little night noise but lots of quality perks...
  • Disliked — no natural beach available....only small lagoon..
2 Thank landlockedwanderer
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2009

We just came back from Mexico 2 days ago. Not the best time to go. The resort property is huge and you take a shuttle bus from one side of the resort to the other. People that work here are very friendly, helpful and nice. Willing to do what ever you need while there. NO beach at all. You must get transportation to Playa Del Carmen which was only 20 min away and 16 dollar cab fare. That was cool because you can take the ferry over to Cozumel. The beds are rock hard but you room is very clean and cleaned each day. If you want luxury, go elsewhere. The spa was awesome!!! Great services. No activities for when its raining. OUr whole trip it rained so we had to entertain ourselves. DO NOT INGEST THE WATER! We have had Montezuma's Revenge for 5 days. Food is okay. Steakhouse is by far the best. We made the best of it because it was our honeymoon... DO some research before you go.

• Liked — the service by servers and all in the hotel
  • Disliked — large resort, activities on resort, beds
1 Thank princessbasi
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,595 reviews

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!