“Absolutely Beautiful Resort! Honeymooners Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati
“Absolutely Beautiful Resort! Honeymooners Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

This was my 2nd visit to Aventura Spa Palace. I went once back in 2004 and returning this year I was amazed all over again at how Absolutely Beautiful this resort is. We found the staff to be over-accomodating and the service overall was great! Over the entire 8 days we were there we had 1 late night meal at one of their 8 restaurants that had incredibly slow service... We knew it was because they had just gotten in 1000 new guests from Frito Lay and they were serving a private meal for 1000 out on the beach. Other than that, the staff here bent over backwards to make us happy.

Tipping is not required at this resort, but with that being said 1 measly US dollar goes a long way in Mexico, so we tipped a $1 and whether we were laid out in the farthest corner of the beach next to nothing or if we were laid out next to the pool those servers came to find us and came to find us quite often! By the end of the week they knew our names, knew our drink preferences and knew exactly how we liked things.

We did the sales presentation that everyone complained about on one particularly cold day where we couldn't go outside anyways. It was actually pretty nice and although we weren't interested they were great about it... Gave us the $80 cash we had given to someone else in the airport, plus 2000 pesos in spa credit, and a free tour. I read all of the complaints about how the pesos weren't even enough to cover an entire massage, and how they wanted it to be worth more, but it's still $158 in spa credit that you didn't have before. We happily shelled out another $100 or so and enjoyed a romantic aromatherapy couples massage together.

The spa is EXCELLENT. Even if you do not get spa services, I recommend you pay the $25 one day and relax in the wet spa area.

Food was very yummy, but is also MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT. I have a pork allergy and EVERYTHING is made with some type of pork fat in it. The sauces on the steaks, even the french fries are fried in grease where a slab of bacon has just been fried. My stomach was upset most of the time because pork seemed to sneak into almost every dish I ate. Other than that, the quality of the food was excellent. They really do a good job in the restaurants.

Rooms are small... which is another complaint of mine. However they are nicely appointed and laid out. The two person jacuzzi was one of our favorite amenities. The stylilng in the rooms is clean and contemporary. And yes, you have tiled floors... Felt like ceramic tiles to me but in a tropical climate like this I shudder to think how nasty the floors would be if they were carpeted. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

The NightClub was fun and the shows are well put together. We enjoyed many a nights dancing into the wee hours with hordes of other drunken resort patrons. We had an absolute blast in La Discoteca. Beware Karaoke night... It was lame and the club is on the side of the resort where kids are allowed and there were kids in there at 10:00 at night. I was so annoyed...

All-in-all if you visited this resort and you couldn't enjoy yourself you might need to check your pulse to see if you are still allive.

Great place to get away from it all!

3 Thank Jocee_Joce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

My boyfriend and I are 26 years old and traveled to Aventura Spa Palace for New Year’s Eve 09-10. The hotel was a quick 45 minute ride from the Cancun airport and less than a $20 cab ride from Playa Del Carmen. From the moment we arrived, the service was fantastic. First of all, we were a bit nervous that the resort was split: about 2/3 Spa-adult side and 1/3 Cove- family side, especially since we were traveling during one of the biggest family vacation times. However, we never crossed paths with any children our entire trip there, despite the presence of many kids on the Cove side. We stayed on the Spa side of the resort during the day, which was no problem because the larger pools and the better cove were on the Spa side. At night we often ate and attended the performances on the Cove side of the resort, but never really noticed the kids that were there!

The service was attentive from start to finish. The bellhop that welcomed us immediately grabbed our bags, but more importantly a drink of our choice! Our room was clean and fully stocked when we arrived and stayed this way throughout our trip. If we needed anything, it only took a quick phone call downstairs and the staff responded promptly.

The main pool was pretty full everyday, but the staff stayed attentive and made sure all of our needs were met. The entertainment staff kept the pool a fun and upbeat place. They were funny and always looking to make sure the guests were having a good time from pool games and trivia to dance lessons and cooking lessons. If this isn’t quite your scene, there were plenty of other quieter pool areas to choose from.

The food was good, nothing extraordinary, but very good. We were never unsatisfied with a meal and we tried all of the restaurants. Breakfast was definitely the best meal of the day, but we enjoyed all of our lunches and dinners too. We made good use of the room service getting snacks and appetizers each day!

We attended the New Year’s Eve party at the resort. We were apprehensive at first, wondering how much fun a party with strangers could really be. However, we had a blast! The resort had all of their entertainment perform, from their fire dancers at cocktail hour to the circus show inside during dinner. Like the rest of the stay we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!

While there were free excursions available we did not use them. We booked a great trip to Chizen Itza with Yukatrecs- HIGHLY RECCOMENDED! People on the resort who used the resort excursions seemed to enjoy them!

I would recommend the Aventura Spa Palace, it was a good mix of upbeat fun and laid back relaxation!

1 Thank BostonLindsey
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

By boyfriend and I went to the Aventura Spa Resort the week of Dec 4 2009. We were amazed by the service and quality of food at this resort. Located about 15mins from Playa Del Carmen right on the water. They offered a shuttle bus to and from several destinations once per day. The only negative on this is sometimes the bus was full on way to town in the morning. Taxi’s were reasonable as well into town. This is an adult only resort and caters to couples. The restaurants offered a great selection of food as well as service and even 24hr room service with a large menu. I just couldn’t believe how nice the staff was in all areas of the resort. They had nightly shows that exceeded our expectations, multiple pools, areas to lounge in, rock climbing wall, biking, snorkelling on site etc. The rooms were very clean, including a large Jacuzzi tub, balcony with hammock and in-room beverage bar. They offered nightly turn down service as well.
They have several sister resorts that you can use with your wristband, next door at the family resort, in Playa Del Carmen at PlayaCar as well as in Cozumel if you are there on a daytrip. After a long day of scuba diving and walking, PlayaCar allowed us to use one of their rooms to shower and freshen up before we ate dinner 2 separate days at their resort.
I would highly recommend Aventura Spa Palace as it surpassed all of my expectations.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BLHToronto
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

This place was awful and completely misrepresented online. It was no where close to a 4 star resort. The rooms were ok- certainly not luxury or spacious and could use some updating. The worst part about the rooms- they are not sound proofed at all. There is a crack under the doors and everything is tile- which makes the sound bounce off the hallways and echo. It was miserable and we were unable to get any sleep. We even tried changing rooms- with no better luck.

The food is mediocre at best. The service is just awful. At the pool- forget about trying to get a drink delivered- you are better off going to the bar and waiting in the long line. The staff will say what they think you want to hear- and on several occasions out and out lied to us.

We had received spa gift certificates as part of our package- which we found to be completely useless. It's a classic case of bate and switch. As soon as you pick the services you like from their menu- they tell you these are not eligible- even though it is not written anywhere that there are exclusions. Next comes the heavy sales job to purchase services 3 or more times the value of your certificates. We did not end up even using the spa after this fiasco.

Additionally - we were bombarded by the constant pushy sales people trying to get us to buy trips and such. We chose an all inclusive so we would not have to deal with this- it was really annoying.

And finally - the week we stayed at the resort there was a group of 1000 people on a free reward trip determined to drink and party as much as possible. This group completely overtook the resort and made our 'relaxing' vacation anything but. I felt like I was on spring break in cancun!

I can not recommend this resort- it was not worth the money at all and there are far nicer, friendly and more upscale resorts you can stay at for less money!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank vacation798
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Jan 4-10. Just spent the last week at the Adventura Spa and it was everything you read about, the most beautiful resort with all the amenities anyone could ask for. The restaurants were first class. The staff were wonderful and ready, willing and able to help you at all times. We choose to tip our waiters at the pool and restaurants. Be sure to ask for Maria or Ledyi if you want the best service at the restaurants. These 2 ladies became like family at the end of the week. Our only complaint for the week was that on Tuesday the Silpada Jewelery Convention arrived (450) with spouces. I have to tell you that I will never ever book another vacation without asking if "Silpada" convention will be going on. This group of people, not all of them, were rude, demanding and entitled from the moment they arrived. They treated the staff as if they were their servants. There was one night where a group could not get seated right away in the Mexican restaurant and you would have thought the world came to an end. They abused the staff from the moment they arrived. I was embarrased for them. This group took over the pool and beach area the rest of the week and they were lound and obnoxious. Book the Adventura Spa but be careful to never book during convention week! Silpada usually books convention during January, last year they booked the Atlantis! You have been warned!

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank klf53
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

We are Premium Palace Resort Members and have been to their resorts on 8 different occasions. We had a Presidential Suite this tim at the ASP as we invited our daughter & her hubby along with us.
We were very disappointed with this holiday, this resort is not the same as it used to be. We have always recommended this resort to many of our friends & family but we will not be doing so anymore or will we be visiting them again and now I will explain why.
Presidential Suite & Guest room were dirty when we arrived (and we never arrived to resort until 6:00 pm so they had plenty of time to have it ready) nothing was filled up and it was not very clean. We were unable to sit out on the balconies as they were complety covered in bugs the whole time we were there. The 3rd day I was in the bathroom and I went to take a step and a cockroach went scurrying by whcih I immediately caught up with and killed. This was not impressive to say the least, I called the front dest and yes they were apologetic and offered to send someone right away to spray the rest of the room. For the rest of the week I was quite uneasy to say the least about walking or sleeping in my room. I have to say that we have never run into this uncleaniness at their resorts before so was so surprised about our rooms.
Food - we have always been very happy with the quality of the food at Palace Resorts, usually being a little bit better than your typical resort food, but they have definately cut back with quality and taste, we were very disappointed with many of our dinners. The breakfast buffet was still satisfactory although there was not much fresh fruit to be had, mostly just fruit in syrup from a can.
Also the ASP resort had a lovely crepe dessert hut that you could go to in the evening too which was quite lovely but not there anymore, some kind of kid building now.

Service, they are definately understaffed now, that is one thing that I couldnt say enough about everytime we visited, the staff were always so friendly and couldnt be more helpful, but this time I think they are just overworked and it was very hard to keep up with all the vactioners. I feel that this is the reason that our room was ever hardly attended to during the day and was not kept clean.

My husband & I are not the type to complain much but if I was reading reviews I would want to know the truth about a resort and that is why I have commented on here for the first time. This resort is suppose to be of better quality than what they are now offering.

Would I recommend this resort or visit again, my answer to that would have to be no. Even though we still have membership weeks left we will not be using them. We will be looking for a different resort for our 2 vacations that we take in Mexico each year.

When returning home from our vacation I did email them with our concerns to our vacation and I received a letter back from them with a coupon for a round of golf for 2. Well our membership already includes prepaid golf, so that would definately not be a bonus to return.

In all fairness to the resort perhaps if they get enough unsatisfied feedback they will fix the problems that are occurring.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SherryCOntario
NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband and I spend much time in Puerto Aventuras and absolutely love it. On an unusually cool day ,we decided to check out the Palace vacation club plans We spoke at length to the representatives at the Playacar Palace. They offered us 2-1000 peso coupons to use at the Aventura Spa Palace spa (which would entitle my daughter and I to a 25 minute massage),a round of golf for my husband, at a time of his chosing, plus a day pass for my daughter and I to use at the Aventura Spa Palace.
We thoroughly explained that my husband had no interest in using the spa and would be going home on Sunday for a few days. My daughter would be arriving on Friday. It was agreed that she could enjoy the day pass with me.
We went to the presentation and spent an hour more than the agreed upon 90 minutes. We then went to collect our gifts. The trouble begins.
The gifts became worthless because of their lies! We couldn't use the pass for my daughter, as had been agreed to the previous day by their representatives (who called supervisors to gain this approval). We spent an hour trying to speak with supervisors in order to obtain the previously agreed conditions. They wouldn't budge. There wasn't a 25 minute massage (that the coupons would cover ). Also, we now had to spend a minimum of $238 in order to use our coupons which were worth $152!
It was an ordeal to even get a day pass for my daughter to use the facility. After an hour, we did receive a day pass for her, couldn''t use the spa for her at all and my husband's round of golf also became useless to him. He wanted the pass for the week of January 15 when he'd be returning to Mexico. Again, this was specifically outlined to these people. They gave him an expiration date for the day he was leaving and refused to change the date. He tore up the certificate out of frustration.
Lesson learned: THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!! BEWARE!!!!

Also, there's no beach, all rooms which are quite small have huge jacuzzis in the bedroom. These dominate the rooms and cramp them. The food, atr breakfast was fair at best. Other choices are much better. The Omni in Puerto Aventuras, not all -inclusive is a nice small boutique hotel right in the middle of a small village on the Caribbean, with lots of shops, restaurants and a beach. Dreams and the Catalonia (A-I) have. 2 properties in Puerto Aventuras....much beter choices

1 Thank avis
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,574 reviews

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!