“Last minute get-away....”

GreenLeadersGold level
Texas
“Last minute get-away....”
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My husband and I just left this resort and stayed 5 nights. It was a great break. The food was pretty good and the service was good as well. Men don't forget to bring a pair of slacks for some of the dinner spots at the resort. There isn't a beach at the resort but there is a private lagoon available for you if you upgrade your room, which was nice! If you want the sand then take a cab ($17) to Playa del Car and enjoy food/drink at the sister property. There you can shop and walk on the white sand beaches. The food is better at this resort though.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Colby, KS
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My wife and I along with 3 other couples stayed at the ASP in early June 2010. As usual Palace Resorts do not disappoint. Rooms were clean, updated, and A/C worked very well. In fact it was easy to get too cold in your rooms!

The restaurants, while serving excellent food, were slow at best in their service. Again, the food was great, but it was easy to kill an entire evening waiting for your entire meal to get served.

The biggest knock we have on this resort is the distance from Playa Del Carmen, and even worse, the airport. There was construction on the main road, and a detour through Playa Del Carmen is a painful experience.

This resort is HUGE, and takes lots of walking to get where you're wanting to go. With that said, it is easy to find people to associate with, or get lost by yourself. Whatever your desires happen to be.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely! You can't go wrong with the Palace family of resorts.

Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2010

My brand new wife and I went to adventura spa/cove for a wedding along with 28 others, and it was fantastic. Beautiful resort, a lot of tours and other adventures near by. Very clean and the staff was extremely polite. They accomidated us, both as a couple for a intimate candlelit dinner, and as a group for wedding rehearsal and reception. Great little area to learn to snorkle. And plenty of water to drink in and play games, or just relax in quiet. Great food at its 7 or so restaurants, and they grill out everyday at the pools. Multiple bars to enjoy your favorite drinks, until 2 am. Downfalls, no real beach, instead there is a nice cove with natural sea life. The sand at there "beach" is more rocky than sandy. The monkey tour is just a walk down the complex road looking for a monkey, good luck. The most irritating thing is how the staff was giving conflicting information on tours and what is actually included in your stay. But all in all I would go back and I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for either fun excursions or laid back sun soaking. I give it 8.5 out of 10.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank crb32
Springfield
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Let's just say that our vacation to Riviera Maya and our stay at Aventura Spa Palace was one of the best we've ever had! EVERYONE was so pleasant and helpful, and always wanted to go out of their way to make sure you were 100% happy... We had 5 delicious meals at each of the 5 different restaurants they provide, and not once was anything less than perfect... We had a great time exploring different sister resorts (which is definitely a plus when staying in a different country), and had the chance to visit Tulum, which is breathtaking! It was a very relaxed, rewarding week, and i would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank leah154
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We just returned from a week long stay at the Aventura spa palace and it was everything we were hoping for and more. Based on other reviews that we had read before traveling we already knew not to expect a "beach" so to speak but we didn't realize how much time we would spend in the calm waters of the cove. Great snorkling and no need to battle the waves. The resort was at about 40% capacity which really made us feel like we had the place to ourselves. If you are looking for the party crowd you'll find plenty of drinking and fun and games at the main pool but there are also many hidden spots where you can find privacy and truly feel like you are there by yourselves. I would like to thank whoever posted the hint of bringing BubbaKegs with us. Great advice for keeping your beverages cold in the hot sun and the bartenders were more then happy to fill them for us. I have been to Mexico several times and kind of know what to and not to order by the way of food. For the record, Steak is not the same in Mexico as it is here in the US so I just don't bother. The rest of the food was better then expected and the breakfast buffet had a costantly changing menu which we enjoyed every morning.
Watching the other guests having a great time and the occassional guest who was complaining about something made me realize that there are some people who would complain about winning the lottery because of the tax bracket. If you go in to the trip knowing that you are there to escape the daily grind and just relax you will have an amazing trip. I actually read that someone complained that when you go to a buffet style restaurant that the waitress ot waitor would elegantly place your napkin on your lap and then tell you to go enjoy the buffet. Is that really a reason to complain? Everyone that we came into contact with was working incredible hard to please us and as has been mentioned before, a few singles goes a long way so remember to bring $1's and $5's. We didn't change american dollars to pesos once and never felt the need to.
The actual Spa was also a nice surprise . As a 40 year old man who hasn't Spa'd before I actually enjoyed manicure pedicures and massages. The hydrotherapy rooms were amazing and I would highly reccomend them. The week we spent went by incredibly fast and we can't wait to return which we will without question do.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank coreymelissa
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We got a day pass at this hotel as we were invited to a time share meeting and brunch.

Once at the hotel, my wife was swimming at one of the coves (part of the amenities of the hotel) when she was attacked by a jellyfish. This "fragata portuguesa" is supposed to be lethal in most of the cases and is indeed a very very dangerous specie.

The lifeguard in charge of the area (who is supposed to be trained to react in this kind of cases) asked my wife to turn and look at the jellyfish, so she was attacked at that very moment.

The hotel representatives didn´t care about it and didn´t respond in anyway, all the expenses including ambulance transportation to the hospital. had to be covered by us.

Please DO NOT STAY nor get any membership at this resort as they do not care about their guests. there is no way to make sure that you will receive what they offer.

This kind of attack can continue as there´s no securyty systems to avoid them. This could be really dangerous for kids.

Richfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 June 2010

First the reason I write this review is while at dinner my girlfriend forgot her purse in the restaurant. She realized the mistake within 15 minutes and we returned to the restaurant which was closed. The manager was still there and tried to dismiss that anything was removed from the table other than some glasses. I should have canceled the credit cards right then. When I woke up in the morning I called my bank and confirmed there were fraud charges on the card.
I then told this to Public Relations as the resort called it. The hotel PR person told me the stores where my bank had fraud charges made from didn't accept credit cards and would have been closed when my card was stolen. Well, I don't think my bank is going to lie to me about the charges that were made using my card. She told me they would tell security, but I doubt they will look into this.
The food is buffet quality, which in my book is a negative. Granted I don't eat meat so my choices were somewhat limited. But, I can appreciate a greasy hole in the wall to the restaurant which only has a fixed menu. The Breakfast was okay, most of the fruit was fresh and everything else was cooked right. Lunch was poor. The pizza was close to cardboard, the chips were always empty and the salad bar was not fresh. Dinner was okay, but not even close to the five star quality that I was told about. Server at times was slow as often I would sit waiting for a drink for my entire meal.
The alcohol was free flowing when I could find someone to bring it to me. However the only beer I could find was Dos Equis, the Budweiser of Mexico. Why couldn't they have a good beer around like Modelo? The house tequila, Casa Cuevro was undrinkable, this coming from a guy who regularly drinks Jose Cuervo, I don't have high expectations from my tequila.
The best part of the service was the girls working the beach/lagoon. These girls would be around frequently to get you a drink. They worked hard.
The credits you receive for an excursion were a joke for someone who can only stay for a few days. We were unable to schedule the interesting trip to the ruins because they were full. When we got to the Isla Mujeres excursion we found that it cost $70 dollars more to snorkel. The Snorkeling wasn’t even very exciting. They then want to charge you more to swim with a dolphin. Then you get another buffet. This buffet at Dolphin Discovery was even worse. The trip also took forever because this resort is just so far away from Cancun.
The rooms are nice. Very clean, cool, comfortable. Room service was always responsive for things you need, like a forgotten razor.
The entertainment that I caught was cheesy, yet entertaining.
I’d suggest this place only if you want to stay in the resort and not leave. Playa Del Carmen shops are a $10 cab ride each way and I think they had a bus which would take you there for free. This should be the only excursion you take if any. Again you should enjoy bad food like Applebee’s, TGIF Friday’s and Buffalo Wild Wings. You should be a drinker of Bud Light or some other near water beer. If this is the case you will likely enjoy your stay.

1 Thank Jesse_James_J
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!