“"Our" place?”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa, Canada
“"Our" place?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

We had just, in December, visited the Grand Yucatan Princess for a week, and enjoyed it greatly (review available on TripAdvisor). The Princess is a very large mid-range resort with a separate adults-only section and premium package, both of which we purchased. It was our 3rd adults-only AI resort-within-a-resort visit, an excellent value, and very satisfying.

In contrast, for our second trip to the Yucatan, we booked the cheapest package available at this much smaller 'boutique' resort in early January.

Karisma is a Mexican-owned chain, and the El Dorado properties are their adults-only sites. This is NOT a place for younger couples looking to get drunk and loud, if you fall in to this category do yourselves and everyone at this resort a favour and go elsewhere. Example: you are required to wear presentable clothing in the restaurants. We appreciate this requirement.

The resort is big on green cred (as much cred as a resort can reasonably offer), and make a big deal out of their conservation efforts and homegrown food - they should. The resort has the advantage of using some very fresh produce they cultivate themselves. Bonus!

My wife and I take these AI resort vacations to unplug, tune out, and just be quiet and lazy by the beach. We did not do any excursions. For that, this resort is THE baseline against we will measure any future vacations.

GETTING THERE

Sunwing again. The plane was leased from a Czech company and was not a Sunwing standard layout; there were several more rows of seats shoved in there, making it so tight you couldn't put your head down for 'crash position' if you wanted to. Good thing it was a short(ish) flight.

Cancun airport was it's usual model of mad inefficiency: hundreds of people lining up for two (?!?) immigration officers, followed by lining up again to get in to the line to go through customs, followed by... lining up to go through customs. It took 90 minutes to debark and find our bus. Same as last time. This is not the first thing you want to deal with on a vacation. While the airport staff are all friendly, they also often seem as harried as the passengers. Solution: hire more staff, Cancun airport?

The resort is a 95 km drive from the airport, but we were the 6th stop on the route, and so it took 90 minutes to get there. This may be a deal-breaker for us next time, as it just drags the whole day down. Consider a taxi.

CHECK-IN

This is the first time we've experienced check-in coming to you. It's very nice to be greeted at the resort, sat down in a comfy chair, and have someone attend to you rather than lining up at a desk. The staff were courteous and friendly, the lobby modern, airy, and as we've noted before in Mexico, incredibly clean.

There is a library of books and videos available to you there also, if you're so inclined. Of note, the induction staff spoke excellent English, as did our concierge (Charlee, a very sweet and efficient American lass who did everything in her power to make us happy, though really, they're all like that). The lobby is as pleasant place to hang out as everywhere else in the resort, even the bathrooms, really (I'll get to that later).

ROOM

Since we tend to spend the majority of our time anywhere but the room, we took an entry-level 2nd floor suite. It was big, clean, and had both a usable balcony and a Jacuzzi. The motion-sensitive toilet light took some getting used to, but that's minor. The suite includes double vanities, which is always nice, and a large shower. Do note that the shower hot water temperature will spontaneously jump; set the temperature you like, get in the shower, wait a few seconds, CHECK AGAIN. Else you can scald yourself. Pressure is good, but temperature consistency is not.

King-sized bed, neither too firm nor too soft. The in-room air conditioners (fascinating pieces of technology that can produce prodigious amounts of cold) have a blue LCD status screen that is actually quite bright at night. It's not a big deal, but if you require complete darkness to sleep, bring an eye mask.

The jacuzzi was large and well-cleaned, and the suite has a large table with two chairs well sized for room service. The balcony is not particularly deep, but comes with two ball-backed recliners that are amazingly comfortable, though at first glance you wouldn't think so. The view was of the grounds and pool bar area, which I had misgivings about though they were unfounded.

It's not a resort for the WOO HOO crowd and so there was very little, if any WOO HOO going on in the evenings. OK by us.

The room fridge contains water, beer and soft drinks, and kept them well cooled (wife is a diabetic, so insulin temperature is important). There was no complimentary liquor in the room - I've noted before how others may see this is a problem but I just can't: it's multi-bar all-inclusive resort - get up and go outside, or order from 7/24 room service.

No need for toiletries, they supply good ones including skin balm for idiots like this author, who got himself nicely burnt on Day 1. Lighting in the room itself is on the dim-to-very-dim side. There were three convenient power outlets available.

Decent flat-screen TV, really don't care. We don't spend that kind of money and fly all that way to watch TV.

GROUNDS

The grounds were cozy, lush, private and clean, but let me go straight to the washrooms. I think they were cleaned every 15 minutes. Seriously, you could eat in them if you wanted. Often you'd hear guests remarking on it to each other, in the bathrooms. No paper towels, no air dryers, only fresh, scented linens. One evening there was an overpowering smell of lemon in the main beach bathroom, suggesting someone went overboard with the disinfectant - not a bad thing. I tend to obsess over public restroom areas as the ultimate gauge of a resort's cleanliness, and this one was the cleanest I've ever seen, which after visiting the Princess earlier is saying a lot (they were ridiculously clean, too).

The place isn't so much 'small' as it is 'right-sized'. An after dinner stroll down the gently lit pathways takes exactly the right amount of time, and invariably leads you to some place to sit near a bar in privacy and comfort.

Interestingly, palm tree coverage over the walkways is just about enough to keep anything but the strongest rain off you.

NO insects, which is a little weird since I couldn't smell insecticide anywhere. Lots of Geckos, everywhere, one Iguana, and few squirrels. A lot of birds, though, which I always like (dunno why, just a thing I guess), and may explain the lack of insects?

There is a constant background of 'spa' music in the suite areas, I think to cover up the sounds of construction (which were never bothersome anyway) of their new facilities. Amazing how this stuff gets in to your head, like an ear virus. Can't say it was objectionable, but after about day 4 I wanted those simple, damned, repeat-every-30 minutes melodies OUT OF MY HEAD and reaching for my Slayer playlist.

BEACH

Not the greatest beach compared to, say, Varadero, but what compares to that? The sand is relatively coarse, there are a few rocks in the water, and depth of the beach is limited in some places - however it is damned pretty and there was never a shortage of palapas and beach chairs, not once, at any hour of the day, and that makes up for a lot.

We were told the resort was operating at 90% capacity at the time, in which case the architects must have planned based on 110% capacity with their palapas and seating areas. At any time of the day, at any section of the beach, you could find somewhere nice to sit. The beach is also constantly being groomed by hand, and there's lots of fish. We saw a school of (something...) skipping in and out of the water just meters from the main beach, awesome!

There are, to the left of the main outdoor bar, two fantastic areas with Bali beds. We spent most of our time here; there is a stone seawall there and so you can't just walk out and go swimming, but... damn was it relaxing. The Bali beds are supremely comfortable and clean, however some of them do not have a full roof and so varying patches of your skin will get toasty as the sun moves across the sky. There is also a quiet pool with bar and Bali beds, too, but we didn't try them although they were luxurious and, of course, impeccably clean. The 'quiet pool' actually was maybe the noisiest area at the resort on two afternoons...

FOOD & DRINK

If fine dining is your thing, meaning proper service, high quality food tasting like it's supposed to and not only of sauces spices, and 'normal' portions (vs. North American Franchise Feeding Trough portions - not knocking it, I like quantity over quality as much as the next guy, do note), this is your place. There are no buffets and no reservations, though we recommend you go relatively early as the tables fill up quick after 18:30. The food was uniformly very good. I think to get to 'excellent' at any resort requires spending considerably more coin for a stay in the Côte d'Azur...

Wine is included, house red or white, excellent for our purposes as an accent to the meal, but if you're a connoisseur you will need to pay for anything else. I'm not a connoisseur, but like to think I'm picky and the house wine never disappointed.

The Sandwicherie is where you'll likely eat lunch every day, and it produces a variety of simple yet tasty and high-quality meals, from fish-and-chips to specialty pizzas. We would often grab chips, salsa, and pico de gallo (and Margaritas, duh) for a late snack and eat it on out Bali bed while staring at the ocean. Sybaritic luxury defined, for us anyway.

We thoroughly enjoyed all the restaurants; my favourite was the Mexican, my wife's the French.

Room service can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to reach you, dependent on the time of day. When it gets there, it will be excellent and properly presented to you by the server. So if you're insanely hungry and can't wait, consider walking the 30 metres to a restaurant, any restaurant. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the whole idea of people-bringing-you-food-while-you're-in-a-bathrobe.

STAFF

Here the resort truly excels. They survey constantly, actively soliciting your opinion on every aspect of your stay. At no time did we ever encounter any staff member who was less than gracious. They are both discreet and friendly, there was a real sense of the resort encouraging employees to speak at length with guests. Our beach waiters, for instance (Anna and Lucy) would take the time to sit with us on the Bali bed and talk, which was fantastic. The spa/activities guy, Javier, and I must have spent at least an hour over two days just talking about Mexican history, culture, travel, etc. He was low-key, never pushy, literate, educated, hard working, and truly interested in what you wanted. I asked him to pick up a pack of decent Mexican cigarettes for me (the on-resort gift shop will perform fiscal rape on you for them, as at every other resort), which he did, and at first refused payment for them.

Of note; we were not on a honeymoon etc. package, however our Concierge stealthily picked up during conversation that we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. Two nights later, I got in (wife was still out dancing...) and found a bottle of champagne chilling, petals arranged on the bed, and the jacuzzi full of bubble bath and flower petals. She and her colleagues did this for us regardless of not being 'on honeymoon'.

ENTERTAINMENT

Hit and miss. The cultural shows were awesome, particularly the Mexican regional dance history night and fantastic in-your-face Mariachi band - all the passion you'd hope a Mariachi band would have for the craft. The rock band that performed one night was just...terrible. The same terrible band that performed one night at the Princess; great vocalist/bass player, sloppy drummer, and a guitarist with too much attitude and not enough skill (I've been a guitarist/musician/engineer for 30 years, trust me). Avoid these guys. The fire show we'd seen before, but it was still impressive.

Avoid also the 'Mayan Beach Dinner'. In theory, it should be great, but in practice it suffers from disorganized queuing (nobody really knew which table was to queue when, and where, so it was a free-for-all) and an inability to see what you're choosing to eat at the buffet (it's dark out). Also, the chairs, being in sand, will sink over the course of 30 minutes, so you're constantly finding the table at your chin (I exaggerate, but not much). I was looking forward to it, but the combination of mystery food, uncomfortable seating, constant percussion from the authentic Mayan musicians (which started out very cool but became tiresome after 45 minutes) had me leaving feeling a little queasy about an hour in. To be fair, I do like Tequila and had consumed a fair amount during the day so... I'm not blameless.

The main beach-side bar is a frighteningly comfortable place to just sit... There's a flat screen mounted high, usually playing sports of some kind. Football matches drew the Brits in residence like bees to honey, and when that wasn't playing I'd stare in horrified, silent shame at the retro 80s pop videos (no Thrash Metal videos, alas, the only good music to come out of the 80s) (that's an empirical fact) (OK, I made it up).

And DO try the Tequila tasting - you're in Mexico and the stuff you get there is likely not what you can get at home. The presenter was very knowledgable and friendly, and took care of wrapping the bottles we purchased for our trip home. Unfortunately, whatever you bring home will never taste as good as it does in Mexico, particularly when it's -20 outside... Solution: return to Mexico.

The bars, though few, were excellent. We tipped as is our custom, and the service we received from the bartenders bordered on sycophantic (Google it...). The two main bars have plenty of seating, both near the bar and in more secluded alcoves, everywhere.

SPA

We liked it so much we should NOT have gone. It'd be precious easy to blow through an extra $1k in a week at the spa. The staff, facilities, cleanliness, and expertise were all excellent, and as certified massage therapists their services are tax-deductible in Ontario. Yup. So get a receipt.

OTHER

WiFi is available in several places, clearly marked, none of it free. Not a big deal for us as we went to Mexico to unplug, and it's not expensive ($4 for 60 mins), but if you're a compulsive social media type the perhaps you should stay home anyway.

They are building many new units close to the lobby, and will expand the French restaurant as well. I don't know what this will do to the place in terms of never feeling crowded, but suspect it won't be much of a good thing. Only one way to find out...

LEAVING THERE

No stops on the way out, so the bus ride was only about an hour. Only. It's still too long for my tastes, but given the value proposition of the resort, sufferable. On the way home, we rotated crews in London (Ontario), and had an extra 30 minutes to wait while the CBSA held our crew at customs. Never seen that before, and not SunWing's fault (I presume). Otherwise uneventful, we exited Ottawa airport and experienced a 60-degree temperature change, from 30 and sunny in Mexico to -30 and windy in Ottawa. Man, that can crush your soul...

SUMMARY

An anecdote: one morning we took a Bali bed behind the main stage area, and didn't realize until ensconcing ourselves there that a two-man crew were doing masonry work on the wall behind us. Quietest. Masons. Ever. No excess noise, hardly any talking, just the shhhht shhhht of the trowel and the occasional faint slop of cement - they were RIGHT BEHIND US, less than 3 meters away. I fell asleep with them working. That pretty much sums up the mood of the entire resort, it's relaxing and respectful, and amazingly peaceful.

This is a small, intimate place, where the staff go out of their way to be discreet, friendly, and super-efficient. Do not go here if you expect a lavish Hard Rock style extravagant bling-fest. That's not what it's about. Coincidentally, it's not we are about either, so we were insanely happy with it. We will try more of the El Dorado properties in the next few years, and I guess that's the best endorsement you can ask for - we're going to do this again with them.

I hate to say this, as it may not do Karisma much good, but I don't see the purpose of anything other than an entry-level room at this place. The resort is both small enough and so good in all respects that a large ocean-front suite is really a waste.

OTHER

Having now sampled some large resorts and the Seaside Suites, our conclusion is simple: Large resorts offer something for everyone, every age group, every preference. The Seaside Suites are targeted at... exactly us. 40-somethings (OK, 45-somethings) who want a quiet, gentle vacation with some entertainment and REALLY GOOD FOOD.

As noted in the preamble, this place is the baseline against which we will measure all future resort vacations. Our thanks to the management and staff, all of them, for a truly memorable experience.

Room Tip: The basic suites are a bargain, consider not spending the extra for the ocean view as the resort is...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
23 Thank rickandkris
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,239)
  • Polish first
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

We have travelled to many different destinations over the years but we have never come across a hotel that has such disparity between the excellent and the downright poor.

Good points:
The food is of excellent quality and beautifully presented.
The staff are courteous and friendly.
Requests are dealt with very promptly as are maintenance issues.
The rooms are a good size and comfortable with plenty of storage and hanging space.
The bar service is good and there is a good selection of drinks.
The grounds are beautifully manicured.

Bad points:
We’ve never stayed anywhere where there is such a complete lack of comfortable public seating. We like to relax after dinner and chat with fellow holidaymakers over a few drinks, but this hotel offers nowhere where one can sit and take it easy. In the main Guacamayas bar there is a choice between bar swings (who wants to sit on a swing all night!), high bar type chairs where your feet can’t reach the floor (very uncomfortable) or very low round chairs that it’s difficult, and somewhat undignified, to rise from!

We found the food in all the restaurants to be at best only lukewarm. We put this down to the way the food is presented. Every serving of food is delivered to your table embellished with beautiful scrolls and patterns decorated onto the plates. Either this take time to do after the food is plated up or, more likely, it is done in advance on cold plates onto which the hot food is eventually placed, thus drawing all the heat out of the meal before it is served. Personally, I’d rather have piping hot food served on undecorated plates.

The repeated use of “My name is Whatever and it is my pleasure to serve you” to European ears is irksome and smacks too much of the U.S. incessant “Have a nice day” – it is unnecessary and insincere and a friendly “Good morning /evening” would be sufficient. I don’t blame the staff, I am sure they are just following orders.

We found the noise level throughout the hotel, but especially from our terrace, was quite unbelievable. There IS most definitely noise from the building works. We had a swim-up room in block 38 and the adjacent path was used to transport building materials to a small construction site hidden behind a hording opposite. The little dumper truck employed to do this was very noisy and there was also a lot of noise, and unpleasant smells, emanating from behind the hording. The same pathway is used by the hotel staff and cleaners to transport their various trucks and trolleys up and down in an almost continuous stream of noisy activity.

Finally, karaoke, bingo and couples bursting balloons placed in suggestive positions is not our idea of 5 star entertainment. There were some very good individual musical entertainers, but these were never advertised on the hotels information boards they just set-up and played and so it was only by chance that we heard them. I’m sure we missed many really good artists.

8 Thank Annee-owl
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your holiday experience at the El Dorado Seaside Suites. I have read your review and will be sure to use your comments constructively . the Satisfaction of our guests is our highest priority and we are dedicated to our guests . I am glad to hear that there were many aspects of your stay that you found enjoyable however i never like to hear that there were areas that fell below expectation.

I have discussed each and every point with my operations team to ensure that improvements are made.

once again , I thank you for choosing the El Dorado Seaside Suites for your vacation and we appreciate the feedback of your experiences

Best Regards

Paula Negrete
gmeds@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Washington, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We recently visited this resort March 2 - March 9. What a great place to visit, not too big and not too small. We were greeted at the front with cool towels and then welcomed with champagne. A very nice welcome after a long trip. We were RCI guests and yes they put RCI guests in the back but it is nothing to complain about. We were even next to the construction of the new building that was going on but it was not a problem at all. All of the staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and they offered us turn down service each night. The meals were all good, especially the Mexican and the Asian. The sandwicherie had the best selection for breakfast. We scheduled our excursions with Pablo and he was awesome. He is in the hut that is on the beach with the kayaks and snorkel equipment. The beach is an important feature to me and although this is not the best beach I've been to, it was not too bad. The sand has a lot of coral in it so it is a little rough but not bad. The water is very shallow a long ways out. If you like to snorkel though, make the swim out past the shallow part. It is well worth it to get to the reef that is about 200 yards out as there is a lot to see once you are out there. They have people that bring you drinks out on the beach all day long so not to worry there. The grounds are kept immaculate and the spa/gym Is really nice too. If you schedule a treatment at the spa just know that if they give you a ride on the golf cart to the spa, they will put a charge of about $4 on your bill for a cart ride. We did not know that until we got ready to check out. It was a really great place and we are planning on going back again to visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sheri R
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 21 December 2016

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

nice hotel not big like the rest in mexico.we choose it because its adults only and it really is!
our room was clean and big .beautiful. the beach is very close to hotel and its nice with all this beds .cristal clear water.many restaurants to choose from dependes what food do you like.we were dining every evning in different restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GINCHONE

toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We recently stayed at El Dorado Seaside Sites to celebrate our upcoming 42nd Anniversary Feb.25-March 4,2013. The resort is beautiful,tranquil,peaceful and quiet. It is also "green" and growing their own food and flowers. Impressive. It is relatively small and so very easy to navigate and find your way around Lots of private areas to relax. No pressure to do anything you don't want to. We were especially happy with our upgraded accomodations, all the meals(without exception) but in particular the staff. We were made to feel welcome and at home by everyone! Our personal concierge was Claudia. A most gracious host who excels at customer service and treated us with such thoughtful care. She helped make our week so special. We enjoyed all the a la carte restaurants,especially the Italian themed one and "Oscar" our waiter there who also served us our celebratory beach dinner.Everything was thought of! The evenings were spent enjoying the entertainment provided and later dancing to either a D.J. or live band.Something for everyone. The clientele here tends to be older and/or looking for a quiet romantic atmosphere. If you are young hard partying people this may not be the ideal place for you but it was perfect for us. During the day there is an abundance of palapa beds and loungers available everywhere. In spite of hitting the beach after 11a.m. we NEVER had to search for a bed. In our past travels this has been unheard of. Wait staff regularly came by for food and drink orders. The only criticism is that the beach is rocky(coral) but this I feel is not something that the hotel can control.My husband missed "body surfing" in the waves. We also enjoyed a couples massage for listening to a "hotel share" presentation,but it was low key and no pressure. The manager there is Paule Negrete and she certainly runs her property to very high standards.She and her wonderful staff truly helped make our stay very memorable and we hope to be able to return.Thank you to all of you for your hard work. YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE TO OUR VACATION EXPERIENCE! Mr.& Mrs. J. Allan ,Ontario Canada

5 Thank rumrunnr

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Arrived to rain which was a bit of a shock. First impressions of the complex and room were very good, Jacuzzi was filled and ready waiting for us which was a lovely touch. The whole complex is immaculately clean and tidy and there is a man on the beach all day long making sure its immaculate. The weather was a bit mixed to start and the first few evenings were freezing.

We Chose this hotel on recommendation and because of the Gourmet All inclusive, no big buffets. On the whole really enjoyed this idea but for breakfast we went to Arrecifes as you could help yourself to fruit and pastries and they would make a omelet while you waited as the other restaurants seemed to take a long time. Our favourite restaurant was the Italian "Mia Casa" but all the restaurants were good, our least favourite was the Vida Garden Grill but only went once and maybe unlucky. On the whole the food was of a good standard but sometimes not as hot as I would have liked. The only bad experience we had was with room service one morning before our early morning departure on a trip,. We ordered the Americano and when it came it was cold not a good start at 6am. We didn't have time to wait for another one due to going on the trip.

The Concierge are brilliant and cant do enough for you, they have a little hut which services a few of the hotel blocks each. The grounds are lovely but getting a bit overgrown with all the palm trees. We were in block 25 which was facing the beach but quite near the entertainment at night, it didn't worry us but if you wanted an early night might of been a problem.

The beach is very nice and never had a problem getting sunbeds or by the pool. It is mainly Daybeds by the pool and there aren't any umbrellas for shade. There are daybeds in complete shade if you prefer this though. The beach is not very wide but the sea is lovely and lots of fish to see.

We did a few trips, Tulum on our own, we just got a cab down which cost about £12 each way and really enjoyed Tulum as very pretty. We did Coba on the Thomson excursion which was a good day out. They get you there very early before anyone else arrives which is great. We also did the trip to Coco Bongos nightclub in Playa del Carmen. The show is amazing but it gets very busy and so many people in a small space.

Really enjoyed the hotel but would have preferred to be closer to Playa Del Carmen as it took 25mins in a taxi each way and cost $23. On the whole though a very successful holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, a lot of the swim up rooms seemed to be in the shade. Would recommend Ocean vi...
4 Thank review153

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I am fussy about most places, and although I am not a moaner, I do expect a certain level of service and quality. EDSS did not disappoint.

I have stayed at some incredible hotels, particularly in Asia and although I can say that the accommodation was basic compared to some 5* hotels the overall experience of my stay was unmatched.

Bedroom: I was holidaying with my mum so I requested a twin room. We were given two good sized double beds and a very large room. The room was in block 36 at the back of the hotel and it was absolutely perfect. We had a balcony that was not overlooked and the area at the back where the door was, overlooked the mangrove forest. The room was kept exceptionally clean but I was disappointed that we didn't get any towel art :-) . When we asked for extra toiletries they arrived within minutes. I have thick hair and need a good shampoo and conditioner. Don't bother taking your own, the ones supplied are great and you get more than enough. Room service is good and you can order as much as you like. I ordered room service for 6am and it didn't come until gone 10 past so allow some time for slippage, especially at that time in the morning when they are busy. If you need it by 6 on the dot order from the night time menu.

Bars and Restaurants: There is plenty to choose from. I heard many people complaining about having to pay extra for some wines and the lobster and steak but honestly, they were just moaners. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay then don't have it. There is more than enough to eat and drink that is inclusive and it is all delicious. I did have the surf and turn one night. The lobster tail was lovely and I am glad I paid the extra but the steak wasn't worth it. The Asian and the Mexican restaurants were my favourite for an evening meal. I loved both the Sandwicherie and BBQ for lunch. On sunday they really put on a good spread with the fish. Although I preferred Arrecifes for the breakfast options I preferred sitting outside in the Sandwicherie. Nothing negative to say. Its down to personal preference. There is an ice cream machine available for use in the afternoon.

Beach: You don't know how lucky you are! I walked along the beach to the far end, past the other resorts and could not wait to get back to EDSS. The other beaches pale in comparison to this one. I didn't need shoes in the water. If you watch where you are walking you can walk a long way without stepping on any stones. There are always members of staff removing stones and raking the beach to make sure that it is idyllic. Snorkelling is okay on a still day and there is a snorkelling tour but don't do the tour unless you are a good swimmer. You can see just as much wildlife walking in the sea because the fish swim up to you. Get out early for bucks fizz and a beach bed. There are more than enough beds to go around but if you are late down you usually have to settle for one near the back. I was usually on the beach by 8am. Drinks service is great. Towels and snorkelling equipment are all included so you don't need to take your own.

Hotel amenities: The 'public' toilet near the bar and beach is incredible. The best toilet I have seen on, or near a beach. V clean, nice citrus smell and individual hand towels/flannels. The gardens are a joy. There must be more staff than residents and they are constantly updating, planting, sweeping, clearing. There are lots of hammocks and seats dotted about do you can always find a quiet corner off the beach. There are a couple of gift shops and a small 'convenience' type store. These sell almost everything. The travel teams on site have an office that is always open and there are draws where you can grab some toiletries or sun cream if you run out. The main reception has a snack area with tea, coffee and sweets or little pastries for you to help yourself to. There are also books and DVDs to borrow.

Entertainment: Just perfect for the hotel. Most of the residents are couples in their 40s-60s or honeymooners. Neither of which really want a rave on their doorstep every night. The day is filled with activities from sunrise to sunset. Everything from flora and fauna tours, kayaking, snorkelling, beach volleyball, table tennis, spanish lessons, towel art etc etc. The evenings are just as fun. Mayan dinners, Reggae beach party, cinema, pub quiz, live bands, fire shows. There are also organised trips for nights out to the local towns. The list is endless. I visited the resorts along the beach and they had people with microphones next to the pool shouting at 10am - not my idea of a relaxing holiday, so I would certainly suggest you stay at EDSS if you want the ultimate in relaxation but with enough to do so as not to get bored.

Spa: The spa is amazing. I had the mayan hydro experience and a full body exfoliation and massage. It was lovely and the facilities are beautiful. Prices are what you would expect from a hotel of this standard. Pricey! But you are on holiday - treat yourself! Word to the wise, if its a hot afternoon take the spa shuttle from reception or give yourself 10 minutes to walk. I walked there and got a lift back.

Excursions: I did a couple which I booked through the hotel and a couple on my own using taxis. It is very safe and easy to get around. I went to Chichen Itza, a Cenote, Ackumal, Tulum, Xel Ha (and did dolphin experience). I would recommend them all. See the ratings for these separately through trip advisor for more information. The onlt advice I will give here is that if you go to Ackumal please do the tour (book in when you get there). The sea grass has diminished by 50% in the last couple of years and this is threatening the sea turtles feeding grounds. The guides will be able to take you to see the reef, turtles and sting rays whilst helping you to preserve it. The money goes back into conservation and it is not expensive.

Tipping: only tip if they go above and beyond, it is not expected. 20 pesos or $1 US is usually enough. Although sometimes I tipped a little more.

I have to mention the building work. It worried me at first but honestly, unless I needed to go to reception I did not even notice it.

Overall, a holiday I will not forget. Many people I met there had been a number of times before. Most said they would be going back. I never return to the same place twice but I may have to make an exception this time. Thank you to all the staff and friends I made at EDSS for making our trip a holiday of a lifetime.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
15 Thank LancashireBridget

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Seaside Suites
#98 of 388 in Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!