“outstanding resort”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon for 2 weeks last summer. We had an amazing time, made by all the staff. The food is out of this world and the facilities are great. The reps are very knowledgable and everyone there cannot do enough to accomodate you. We have a junior jacuizzi suite with sea view. It was fab. The maid service was good and we loved the attention to detail they paid and lovely towel arrangements they left in our room whilst we were out. The beach BBQ is good with amazing burgers and the beach butlers deserve plenty of tips! always polite and remembers what drinks you like! We loved the italian restuarant too. In each restaurant the waiters keep their eye on your drinks and are always coming round to top you up - you never have to get their attention for a re-fill.

We got the complimentray honeymoon upgrade so we had a treatment at the spar (unbelievable). We also had the evening meal on the beach which again was superb! They give you options of pillows to ensure you sleep well and also you can choose the contents of your minibar which is topped up daily. We also indulged in the 24 hour room service on several occasions. Cocktails are awesome too.

Dress code is not as strict as you may read- as long as you dont go to restaurants in the evening wearing beach wear you will be fine!

there is plenty of in resort entertainment from quizes to flame throwers etc etc... you will not be bored...

This resort is very attractive to people who lead very busy lives or like us had the stress of planning a wedding... at El Dorado, they think of everything for you which makes your holiday very enjoyable.. the only thing you have to think about is which restaurant you want to eat at that evening.

We would also say you must pay your rep to orgainse to take you to CoCo Bongo- this is a great show which cannot be missed and even though it is initally a large outlay for tickets the cost includes your travel as well as drinks all night - which includes tequilla and vodka on tap served by your own waiter so you dont have to queue at the bar.

We would also recommend the deep sea fishing excursion - we are not keen fishing people but enjoyed the experience and the people on the boat were very helpful and enabled us to catch a 4 foot barracuda!! we did hire our own boat too which meant we had their undivided attention when needed.

If you want luxury - go here. We would love to be able to return for a special wedding anniversary one day!

Room Tip: definately go with junior jacuizzi suite - some swim up rooms when you walk around the complex are n...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura D
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

ear Guest,

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Sp

Write a ReviewReviews (8,747)

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

We went here a few years back, we are used to going on European holidays and wanted to try something different and special for our Honeymoon. Upon arrival the hotel looks fabulous, relaxing and very clean. We had a swim up room with a little terrace area with sunbeds in the water and jacuzzi in the room. It really was nice. The beach is good with lots of beds and places to chill. The only things we were really disappointed with was the location and the food, we consider these important for a holiday, especially when you've saved up and splashed out on a honeymoon. We tried all of the restaurants and the food is just too rich, even breakfast there wasn't really anything "normal" spicy omlettes, everything with a relish or sauce, we were sometimes just craving toast and jam! Or just a nice pasta dish or something for dinner (and we both love to try new things) but it did make us both feel a bit ill, a few of the people staying near to us had said the same thing, we did end up just having a few days in the room towards the end of the holiday because we just felt drained from the effects of sickness and diarrhoea. Not ideal. It wasn't that the food was bad as such, it was well presented, were probably just not used to it. We also felt a bit trapped in the complex because there is nowhere really to go outside of the main gates, you end up seeing the same people and same 5 restaurants for 2 weeks. We love to explore so we got a bit bored. We did a few excursions like a speed boat and snorkelling trip which was awesome and well worth the money and we visited the ancient ruins and the town. I guess this is a bit of a mixed review, but in short if you just want to relax and completely chill out and don't mind very little variety in your 2 weeks then this place is good except for the food, if you like to explore and find new things and different restaurants and have a bit more freedom, keep searching for the right place for you.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Chillout123
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the trip advisor community, it is disappointing to hear that our resort did not fit your lifestyles, we understand that everyone is different and we do our best to provide a special something for everyone.

I'm sorry that you experienced some sickness during your holiday with us. All our menus can be found on our website and we also do our bets to cater to any guest that has special dietary requirements or would just like something that is not featured on our menus.

I do appreciate your comments and we are sorry , that on this occasion, we were unable to fulfill your expectations.

Best Regards
Alfonso Lopez.
gmeds@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Myself and husband just returned from our honeymoon at this resort and to say they ruined it is an understatement.

To give it it's due we initially thought it looked beautiful and it was, the beach is glorious and the set up is good.

We did however pay the extra for the oceanview and while I don't deny the ocean was in front of our room we couldn't see it as we were right behind the beach BBQ. This meant we looked out to a breakfast and lunch area, not exactly what we had in mind-people eating and making noise. Also, the room was incredibly dark with no natural light at all, we had to turn on every light at all hours. I could go on about other issues with the room however won't and will instead move to the worst aspects of our stay.

The resort has a dress code, which we were aware of and had no issue with. We did encounter a small issue in that my husbands case didn't arrive however out thompsons rep assisted us with that (no thanks to the hotel).

Anyway, despite being advised of the dress code at the welcome meeting and in 3 different bits of literature we were give we were then given what can only be described as a lecture from te personal concierge when we popped in for towels. We were asked again of the dress code and shown a slide show on a screen! Ridiculous, we got it there's a dress code, we adhered to it and there was no suggestion we did not, they just like to drum it in repeatedly in case you didn't get it the first few times, an insult to our intelligence.

I should also say here that the personal concierge is more of a resort sales person who's role seems to be I get you to purchase whatever extras and add ons they can. So much for premium all inclusive!

Our most horrifying experience came when we visited the Mexican restaurant on site. My husband is allergic to shellfish and so we are exceptionally careful when ordering food, taking extra care when ordering. For his starter he ordered what is basically sea bass parcels. We checked with the waiter there was defiantly no shell fish, no there is not. I should also say that the resort ask you if you have any allergies when you first visit the concierge and so they were aware of his allergy, furthermore the hostess at the restaurant confirmed she could see his allergy notes as she took us to our seats and then the waiter asked us again when he introduced himself if we had allergies. There is therefore no question that it was made ABUNDANTLY cleat that shellfish is a no go.

Withing seconds of taking a small bite of his starter my hisband felt his throat tighten and his mouth started to blister. We immediately got the attention of the hostess and asked what was I the parcels, her reply...shrimp. We went on to stress te problem with this and soon had the manager, same hostess and chef round the table this time saying it wasn't shrimp.

Long story short it was eventually established that the chef routinely substitutes the more expensive sea bass for shrimp. The hotels response to this..they left a cheap bottle of fake champagne (made in Mexico) that tasted like sunny delight in our room.

There was zero comprehension that had my husband eaten more or not realised so quickly he would have suffered potentially fatal anaphylactic shock. They did not care that their downright dangerous decision could have ended my marriage on my honeymoon. Luckily he ate very little and we treated him back in our room without long term effects but this was purely because he realised what he was eating at first bite, had eaten more the outcome could have been far more serious.

I have never come across any establishment in all the world where they have cared so little about such a serious matter. Their reaction was farcical and all they wanted to do was backtrack when they realised their mistake. You also must ask if a genuine 5 star resort would ever substitute food in this manner without advising the guests. What made the whole things more insulting is that they repeatedly asked and confirmed out allergies and then took no notice anyway..why ask if you don't tell the kitchen!!!

Now moving to the next fiasco. The all inclusive wine in this place is awful. I am no means a wine expert but both the red and white are undrinkable. We therefore ordered a bottle one evening and assumed, being in Mexico, that the price would be in pesos. How wrong, the British guests (as we are) are expected to know that the prices are routinely quoted in American dollars. Tough luck if you're not American. Even more confusing is that they use the dollar sign for pesos too, so American or Mexican have the same $...confusing.

On checking out we were hit with a bill for more than 6000 pesos. Turns out the wine we bought, which based on pesos I calculated to be £24, was actully in american dollars and so cost £280!!!

I was horrified. We were lucky enough to afford this break as a honeymoon treat, we do not have this kind of money to spare but nonetheless had to borrow from my parents to pay the wine. We feel totally misled about it particular when to add insult to injury we only had a couple sips each as this was the night of the allergic reaction. We therefore had to leave the restaurant to treat my husband and abandoned the wine (which incidentally was served freezing cold-it was red wine). They did put it in our room later for us however we left it, not knowing at this point that it had just cost us £280!

I cried all the way home from my honeymoon and can honestly say it was the worst holiday of our lives, a horrible start to married life and one we are still paying for now.

The el dorado seaside suites ate interested only in upselling and making money above the all inclusive. General service is goo however don't expect a good or genuine response to any complaints you have no matter how serious the issue, they jut don't care.

Quite frankly is that happened I the uk the restaurant would have serious questions to answer re food safety, as it is this resort will continue to pull the wool over customers eyes to save a few pennies here and there or make money from unsuspecting guest.

A resort that looks and appears great at first look however its true operation is more sinister and customers are certainly the last priority.

A bad experience that unfortunately had not only made me never want to use karisima again but means I never want to return to Mexico.

• Stayed: July 2013
19  Thank HonestLassScotland

As General Manager , I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your experiences. In order to investigate and provide a full response I would like to invite you to contact myself , along with our customer service Manager , customerservices@karismamexico.com with your full information and any further details that you wish to share with us.

I would like you to know that all restaurant staff have received extensive training concerning allergies and special dietary requirements however I am truly very sorry that your experienced did not seem to reflect this.

I look foward to hear from your

Best Regards

Alfonso Lopez
general Manager
gmeds@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed here in September 2011 (apologies for the late review) and is by far the best resort we have stayed in

I was a little nervous after booking as there seemed to be some mixed reviews about the resort - the only thing we could complain about was the mosquitos and they can't be controlled by anyone! A good dose of high DEET spray each evening seemed to keep them at bay,

The food was fantastic - we didn't have a bad meal in any of the restaurants. The desserts were interesting (very creamy and very cakey) however the varierty of food available for other courses was brililant. The room service menu was also great and a couple of times we ordered this instead of going out to a restaurant

The beach is beautiful however there were a few pebbles in the sea - nothing major and certainly didn't warrant wearing jelly shoes etc

The day beds along the beach were very comfy - particularly those suspended by ropes as they tended to gently sway in the breeze. There was a lot of "reserving" going on though and in order to get a day bed you had to be up pretty early i.e.before 7am

The entertainment was of a good standard - we watched a couple of shows and found them to be quite good. Normally we avoid evening entertainment but found it quite watchable

The bars were very good, some had swings instead of standard chairs which was fun. The drinks were nice but quite strong - the specialist cocktails could be deadly if you were tempted in the day time!

All in all I can't recommend this resort enough and will definitely be returning

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Noodle85

ear Guest,

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I travel to different Karisma hotels 3 or 4 times a year (this was my third trip in 2013) and I have never had an amazing luxury experience like I had last week at Seaside. It has been 4 years since my last trip to Seaside and the changes were stunning. While the living room in our Presidential unit was a little small, the garden area and sea view were spectacular. But the service would have made it a fantastic vacation if we had stayed in a thatched hut -- our butler Edgar anticipated our every need, was both personal and discreet, and by the end of the week we were trying to figure out how to put him in our suitcase and bring him home with us. I have never had such excellent service and I have stayed at some of the finer hotels in this world. Edgar, the new spa, the delightful care of staff such as Azael our room service assistant and Sandra in the Trattoria -- I can't wait to get back to Seaside. Our week in room 3415 was amazing.

Room Tip: If a sea view is important to you, don't choose the new Premier rooms. They are the best accomm...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sgs0226

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Before travelling to EDSS, I read some of the reviews on here and they made me nervous to come here - all I can say is PLEASE don't listen to the bad reviews - don't even read them, they've absolutely got it wrong about this place. My boyfriend and I travelled here on 30th June and stayed until 10th July 2013. It was the best holiday I've ever been on.

As a fussy eater I was worrying about finding something on each of the menu's every night that I liked - I had no trouble at all and always thoroughly enjoyed my meals, whether it was at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The Italian was my favourite for dinner, the sandwhicherie or Vida for lunch and Arrecifes for breakfast. Neither of us had an upset stomach while we were here, and we ate lots!

The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. We stayed in the standard junior suites. The Jacuzzi was lovely after a long day sunbathing and the massive bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel. We didn't experience damp and/or sewage smells in our room as mentioned in previous reviews. The room was cleaned to a high standard every day with towel art being left on the bed. The TV in the room had plenty of English TV programmes and Music channels, and the Mini bar was stocked with drinks every day. We had one day of bad weather while we stayed here and we borrowed from DVD's from reception and got room service.

The staff here are the most helpful I've ever known and they're always doing their best to make sure you have the best holiday possible. When walking around the grounds you always get a friendly 'Hola'.

The beach is being raked every day and the staff work hard to maintain the beach - there a lots of fish in the sea so it's good that they have snorkelling equipment. We also used the Kayaks while we were there. There is a beach waitor service which is also a nice touch so you don't have to keep going all the way to the bar! There was also a waiter service around the pools. We got clean beach towels every day. You do not need to take towels with you on this holiday.

Honestly, hand on heart this is the best holiday I've ever been on, and the resort is definitely worthy of it's 5* status! Do not listen to the bad reviews!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ellis W

Reviewed 15 July 2013

When we first walked into the reception area, we knew we were somewhere special.
We received an upgraded room for our 20th wedding anniversary which was a nice suprise. The rooms where lovely with at least a king size bed, balcony overlooking the gardens, you could also see the sea. Lovely big shower area & a lounge.
However, the real treat for us was the staff - who were all absolutely wonderful. They could not do enough for you, and everything was 'their pleasure' to serve you & you really got that impression.
The other gold star was the 'all inclusive' which was properly all inclusive i.e. ALL drinks & food - nothing was off limits or time or band limited. The only thing you needed to pay for was if you wanted a bottle of wine from the separate wine menu. Interestingly you could still ask for a glass of a particular wine (if house wasn't your thing) and keep asking for another glass, but if you wanted a bottle you would be charged. The resort includes 6 restaurants which were all of very high quality decor, food & service & best of all - they are all al la carte i.e. no buffets, so it really felt like going out & eating in a different restaurant every night. Also no prebooking for the restaurants, so you could turn up when you wanted, and if there was a small wait (which only happened once in 7 days) you could choose to have a drink at the bar or the maitre'd would let you know which other restaurants were not experiencing current delays - so you always had a choice.

The only downside for me was the beach (compared to other caribbean trips it was not the best beach I've ever been too). However it is perfectly nice & we actually chose an area alongside the beach which was sandy underfoot, but also had the added luxury of our own 4 poster beach bed for shade & 2 sun loungers (there seems to be a unwritten acknowledgement that if you're on one i.e. the bed for shade then you also have the 2 loungers ahead of you. So the beach in no way detracted from our enjoyment - as my husband & I could actually stay for the day within a couple of yards of each other (he likes shade, I like sun) - so perfect all round.

We saw some of the shows that were put on & these were generally of a really high standard. I especially liked the reggae beach party, which you could join in & dance on the beach or just enjoy a drink at the bar watching the band.

All in all a wonderfully clean resort with lot's to do, but also a feeling of peace & quiet. There's enough space that you can find music & entertainment if you want, but also just be alone.

If it wasn't a 10.5 hour flight away & I lived closer I would be here for a battery recharge on a regular basis. I couldn't fault anything & what really made it - the WONDERFUL STAFF!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

#1 of 477 in Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!