“great holiday”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We travelled here on the Dreamliner cant say I was overly impressed,
we booked extra legroom seats but the width of the seats are very small.
The flight took over 10hrs which was a bit of a drag.
Got through customs pretty quickly but then had to wait an hour and a half for the coach
to leave we where exhausted.
Finally we arrive at the resort and couldnt wait to get into our rooms. We booked a premium
room and where allocated one on the 4th floor which was very spacious and had a great view of
the sea. The block had its own pool and a great wee snack bar in fact it was the only place we
found where you could get a sandwich instead of a full meal. Meals at the resort are quite formal
sit down affairs but we did not mind that and tried to eat in every resturant. The best being
the gourmet pub (shepherds pie) and the worst being the sandwicherie one night where i ordered
pasta with a cheese sauce which was vile, however they redeemed thereselves a couple of nights at
around 12 when they opended the grill and served hamburgers to die for just what you need
to soak up the cocktails. Entertainment really lets this place down, the venue they use for
the acts is tiny and claustophobic so we used the main bar on the beach most nights.
We didnt use the concierge apart from getting towels so cant really comment on them. Our housekeeper
came to our room at 5pm to do the room on the 2nd day and we turned him away as we had been
on the beach all day and it was now dark, I think he used that to his advantage and came at that
time every night so we only had our room done twice i

3  Thank doogiedog
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (8,885)

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visited EDSS over Christmas and New year for our honeymoon. We had never been to Mexico before and absolutely loved it. We didn't want to leave, the resort is lovely, stunning landscapes, trees, gardens, wildlife and beach. When we went out of resort we found the area to be fantastic and the people so friendly. We will definitely return to Mexico. This is a long review, sorry.

Room - swim up suite, very spacious, huge bed, table and chairs, dressing table, flatscreen tv, mini bar with your choice of beers, water and soft drinks, robes, Jacuzzi bath and bathroom with good shower but tiny toilet room. Random sofa and stool turned up halfway through holiday. Swim up was fantastic, loved having our own sun loungers and a dip in the pool or swim to bar whenever we wanted.

Concierge - very helpful, no mention at all of meetings, tours or time shares. Arranged our honeymoon package and helped when I needed the doctor.

Honeymoon package - free WiFi (was rubbish so wouldn't be happy if we had paid), dinner on the beach (worst meal we had at EDSS but nice enough), breakfast in our room (amazing, so much food!), decoration of room (towel art, petals and music) and a massage (but we didn't arrange to have this in the end)

Restaurants
The food was lovely and the quality and presentation was good. We regularly had to wait for dinner at all except La Carreta and we tried all restaurants at least twice except trattoria
Breakfast favourite - Arrecifes
Also tried sandwicherie and Vida
Lunch favourite - Beach BBQ or Vida
Also tried Arrecifes and sandwicherie
Dinner favourite - Mia Casa, Gourmet Pub and Vida
Tried all except Arrecifes, didn't like La Trattoria because of the poor pizza but all others were good. Gourmet pub menu is difficult to understand but the food is good.

Staff - the majority of the staff were amazing. There are so many staff everywhere you go always saying ola. Special mention to Lorenzo at our swim up bar, Luis at gourmet pub, Juan Carlos at sandwicherie and trattoria, Gasper in Arrecifes and Anna on the beach who were all amazing.

Beach - you had to be up before 730 to get a Balinese bed on the beach and not much later for a lounger. Regularly saw people reserving beds for majority of day and not using them. Loved the tree lined beach and seeing the wildlife and fish.

Bars - I mainly drank soft drinks, mojitos or Cosmos but did try other ones. I think husband tried them all. Unfortunately the milk based cocktails made me ill. Our favourite bar was the small swing bar by the quiet pool and our swim up bar.

Entertainment - the entertainment team are brilliant, they don't bother you but if you do see them they're very friendly and enthusiastic. The Piccadilly theatre is funny, it looks like a church hall, we watched the Christmas Eve show but it was hilariously bad and left. The bands at the main bar weren't that good but at least there was some music. There was a marriachi band one night. The dorado idol (karaoke) was funny to watch.

Christmas and New Year - there were special menus for Christmas eve, day and New years eve although we didn't try them. New years eve was brilliant, party on the beach with rock circus, disco, drinks service and a late night taco cart!

Shop - extremely expensive! £14 for 2 bags crisps, and a small packet of mini cookies when I couldn't stomach hotel food.

Illness - I was ill for over a week with an upset stomach, not sure what was causing it but I was worst the day I had the milk based cocktails. I ended up seeing Luis the on site medic who sold me some tablets for US$40. They worked and I was able to enjoy rest of holiday. I avoided milk and cheese though. My husband wasn't ill so I think it was down to my own tummy not handling the different foods and dairy very well rather than the resort.

We'd love to go back one day.

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank fletch8485
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I were very impressed with the food and service at El Dorado Seaside Suites. Our travel agent, Jennifer at VIP Vacations, recommended this resort after we stayed at the El Dorado Royale last year. The Mexican and Italian restaurants were our favorites and the portions were a good size. There was never a long wait at the restaurants. The rooms were spacious. We also did spa treatments - I did a deep tissue massage and my husband did the hydrotherapy. We both loved it. We would definitely go back to this resort.

6  Thank MelissaCapp

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our third stay at El Dorado for the week between Christmas and New Year's. When I mentioned this was our third visit while checking in, we were upgraded to one of the lovely new suites, in room 311. We keep returning because of the excellent service, wonderful food, beautiful grounds, and fabulous snorkeling right from property's beach. The atmosphere is relaxing and elegant, with romance the over-riding theme.
What to pack? The resort seems to be going for a slightly more formal look for the evening meal, which I welcomed. It's a special place with many guests there for special reasons, and I enjoyed looking my best in dresses, while my husband wore shirts with collars, lightweight slacks and casual shoes for the evening dinner. Of course, during the day it's all swimsuits and casual wear. And since the guests are mostly couples, I never felt like a bikini competition was going on at the beach or pool, only a comfortable attitude of acceptance.
This trip we spent all our time at the resort property and thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment and beach activities. Although we were told the place was fully booked, there was never a long wait at the restaurants and we always found a great spot on the beach. The staff was excellent, as always. I would love to return again!

Room Tip: Don't worry about not having a beach view, the entire place is beautiful!
6  Thank MinnesotaSteph

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My review is about a year late. We went to El Dorado Seaside Suites Jan 23 2012. We booked a beach front suite. After a quick and easy check in we were carted to our suite 3402 or 3404 can't quite remember the number. At first I was a little concerned with the location as it was on the far end of the resort. Then I looked out the sliding door and realized we were just steps from the beach. By far the best location in the resort both for its proximity to the beach and the lack of foot traffic. Every night it was a beautiful walk to dinner and we lived on the beach so having it at the back door was amazing!

Food was excellent but my absolute favourite was the lunch time taco cart by the beach. The fresh salsa was incredible and so was the guacamole. our only food letdown was the asian food restaurant.

So the reason Im just reviewing now is I just booked for another trip to Seaside for Feb. My wife and I are so excited to go back and have another amazing vacation.

Thanks to all the staff that made our vacation truly amazing and see you in Feb!!

Room Tip: Stay beach front!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dov A

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Succeeded expectations and was a wonderful relaxing stay. Staff were all incredibly friendly and couldn't do enough for you. If you need a spa appointment speak to Javier he is very friendly without being pushy. Food was lovely with lunch time bbqs on the beach and plenty of different restaurants to choose from which offered variety, the Italian was our favourite. Be warned the drinks service on the beach starts at 10.00am and the cocktails are too good to resist!!

Room Tip: The swim up suites didn't seem worth the money as we often noticed that a lot of them were in th...
6  Thank Annie D

Reviewed 1 January 2014

First to mind in our sweetest memories would be Egnacio with the Trattoria Italiano Restaurant. The food & drinks were always delicious & wonderful in presentation. But it was his personal touch and special attention to everything from food restrictions, stomach distress, to making our 40th anniversary a special occasion that was most outstanding. He stole our hearts. Another wonderful memory was the spa treatment I received by Brenda for my 1st body massage and Yolanda for my first facial. They were both terrific.It was heavenly! Most regrettably I left tipping to be added at checkout. When my husband payed the bill he didn't have their names. I hurried to the lobby to add them separately but was told it was too late to do that. I felt very bad as they both did such a great job. If we return with the voucher included in the package I will correct that. The only other disappointment was when we had to change our anniversary dinner on the beach date as I was not feeling well. With the anniversary package we were sopose to have special touches in our room following the dinner as well as breakfast in bed the following morning. The concierge changed the dinner date to our last night but the other perks were not rescheduled. We were up at 5 getting ready for the breakfast & didn't find out until 7:30 it wasn't coming. To the Room Service's credit, they offered to come in 40 minutes, but by then we were starving & needed to move toward our checkout. I only mention these 2 problems to help others avoid them. If we had just confirmed everything with the concierge the day before it could have been rectified. That being said we felt our anniversary couldn't have been more romantic while we enjoyed it with a taste of paradise.

Room Tip: oceanfront #2805 was a god choice.
3  Thank Herbert D

#1 of 489 in Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!