“Unforgettable honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unforgettable honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I arrived in Riviera Maya the Monday after our beautiful wedding. We were welcomed immediately with a cocktail and a room upgrade that we previously believed was unavailable.

As a person with allergies (MSG), being able to eat without worries is a huge deal for me. On our second day, we met Brenda at the Gazebo Grill; once I told Brenda about my allergies, we no longer had any concerns!! She made sure that everyone knew and at most of the restaurants, the chefs (especially Chef Daniel!) were pleased to make a special meal for me. I didn't have an allergic reaction the entire week. A feat of great proportions given that we ate three (sometimes four!) meals per
day.

My husband's birthday was the day before we left. We enjoyed an AMAZING couple's massage on the beach and a candlelight dinner. I recommend both of these experiences. Also, our personal concierges (Mary and Raul) were aware that it was my husband's birthday and left lovely surprises in our room. The lovely Brenda also got into the action and had a cake made for him. We were treated like a king and queen the entire time we were there. We highly recommend El Dorado Seaside Suites!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank queenofhearts559
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Sp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,195)
  • Polish first
england

Amazing room
Amazing beach
Amazing selection of gorgeous tasty food
Amazing cocktails
Amazing pools
Amazing views
Amazing staff
...Overall amazing... would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxed holiday in an awesome part of the world.
I would also highly recommend taking a day out of your stay to visit Xel-Ha on an excursion.... i've never snorkelled anywhere like it.... warm calm waters with amazing sealife (Sting Rays, 2ft foot parrot fish and a 6ft barracuda are just a handful of some of the creatures we saw!).
The ONLY niggly moan I have is that "towel wars" early in the morning for prime sunbathing positions is the norm... just be prepared to be up early (before 8am) to put your towels out on your desired sun lounger BEFORE you go to breakfast.... as I say a minor niggle and not any fault of the hotel!
We would go back here in a heart beat and were genuinely gutted to leave!!!

Room Tip: No need for room upgrades-- standard room was more than ample!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bethw1688

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My girlfriend and I (both 26) recently returned from EDSS following a two week stay and had a fantastic time and rate this hotel highly. We have stayed in 5* all-inclusive resorts before but this hotel was by the far the best.

Firstly, the staff at the hotel are excellent. All can communicate well and will do their utmost to answer any questions/requests that you have.

We would often sit by the quiet pool during the day (the one with the beds) and really enjoyed it. The bar next to that pool is good and all bars stock premium drink brands which are all included in the all-inclusive. To secure a sun lounger we did have to get too the pool around 7am however that was purely for this pool. You could get a sun lounger on the beach at any time, but you might have to walk a bit further down the beach.

The hotel is very clean and the gardens are well maintained. Our cleaner did an excellent job and I felt the rooms were of a good standard.

The food at the hotel is good. Our favourite restaurants were the Italian and Asian although I would happily visit them all again. If you decide to eat after 7.30pm then you quite often had to wait for c20 minutes, but the whole process was very well organised and we didn't wait beyond that for the whole of our stay.

We met lots of nice couples at the hotel and I would say that the guests are predominately either British or American.

We did three trips through Thomson - Underworld World, Isla Contoy and Coco Bongo's. All were great and I would recommend all three however be prepared as the trips are quite expensive!

Getting out and seeing the local area is easy and hassle free. We would go by taxi and found them reasonably priced. I wouldn't recommend going up to Playa Del Carman - there are hundreds of people trying to sell you every trip possible!

Room service is included and the hotel offer a number of nice little touches which really makes you feel like you are staying in a 5* resort.

Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone and I wouldn't let a few negative reviews on trip advisor put you off from booking this hotel.

5 Thank Ben23488

Stephens City, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had a small wedding (6 guests including me & my husband) and it was perfect. I was really hesitant, but it went perfectly! My husband and I are very happy with how the day went! We even had a private reception on the beach (by the gazebo). While we were having our pictures taken the staff had everyone's drink ready for them. When I say their drink - I mean their go to drink that they had been drinking during their stay. No one even asked what it was, they just knew from us being there for a few days! While we were eating and enjoying our time the staff took video and pictures for us.

Everyone felt so spoiled and taken care of the whole trip. I could go into so much detail about how everything was so well taken care of, but this post would be too long. All I can say is we do not have one negative thing to say about the trip and our guest didn't either. Before we left everyone was wanting to go back next year for our anniversary.

We stayed in a swim up suite and loved it. It ended up being the hang out spot.
The food was great - I can honestly say I didn't eat one thing that I didn't love while I was there! Above all the service was what made the whole trip! I couldn't feel more taken care. They have set the bar high for other resorts! I can't wait to go back and try out their other resorts!

Room Tip: We were in room 3707 - swim up suite. I felt it was perfect - far enough away from the swim up bar...
2 Thank Swill_11

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I want to preface my review by confirming this is indeed a lovely resort but for us it was not as good as other resorts we have visited before. The service, food, rooms and resort bars fell short of what we have enjoyed elsewhere both in Mexico and other islands in that part of the world. Those who have stayed at hotel chains like the Riu or Gran Bahia Príncipe will find this resort a good step up in all aspects but we feel we have been spoiled with the Excellence chain of hotels.

That said we arrived at EDSS on 24/4 (my birthday) for a 13 night stay following a fabulous flight with Thomsons on the Dreamliner. We upgraded at check in for BOGOF to premium cabin which was a first for us :) and were well looked after and fed/watered.

We had prebooked a private transfer with Holiday Taxis but had to wait 25 mins outside the terminal by which time the coach transfer had long gone which was rather frustrating!

We were in building 41 top floor and found the room to be very dated and nothing like brochure pics. We returned to reception to enquire about options but they wanted US $140 per night or stay put - we remained disappointed with the room throughout our stay. The toilet was so small that you could not close the door and complete proceedings so the door remained open... Our cleaner left our patio door open three times when cleaning which was a security worry for us but this was rectified when we brought it to their attention. Towel art was not increased by tipping.

We spent most days down by the quiet pool where they have a four poster bed with two comfy loungers next to each one - bar close by with good waiter service for drinks and the sea in view. This was our preferred spot and we found it very relaxing. We also spent a couple of days by the main pool which is hectic and full of activity but none on the beach although we did walk the beach in the mornings. We had to be up before 7am to secure our preferred position and it really varied throughout our stay as to whether beds were available later - some days there would be options after 9am.

Restaurants were good but not great other than Vida where some days we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Italian for dinner. We enjoyed most meals but very little blew us away food wise. Service everywhere was also good with the occasional great. Abraham in Vida at night was fantastic as well as Arnulfo for breakfast and lunch also at Vida. They stood out for all the right reasons.

Our concierge Jorge was fantastic throughout our stay and really looked after us as was Sam theThomson rep who is just fabulous and really does care.

We met and spoke to lots of really lovely couples during our stay - I would say through our stay the resort was 90% British which is unusual in our experience for Mexico. One common theme was stomach upsets with at least one of every couple suffering with diarrhoea in varying degrees and in some cases vomiting too. I suffered around 5 days before leaving and continued for about 6 days on arriving home with horrible tummy cramping. As someone who does not overindulge in either sun or alcohol I think the numbers affected that we encountered would suggest an issue when we were there.

Drinks wise ask for top shelf alcohol and they will use it - they stock some named but not all. Bar service very slow at main bar in evenings perhaps because the bartenders are also servicing the restaurants nearby with drinks and limited seating which led someone else to suggest to us that this is to save money as if you can't sit and relax you will drink less. Water is not given in bottles but by the glass if requested although they stock a supply of bottles in the main lobby which we started to use when passing.

I used the spa services once with a massage on the beach - very nice but too expensive in my opinion - I normally have a couple of spa services but not this time.

Evening entertainment was poor - casino night badly organised, rock circus awful but loved the reggae night on the beach - a real highlight for us :)

In summing up we got an amazing deal for this hotel which meant we could overlook its shortfalls - however we met people who paid more for a week than our 13 nights and others who paid 50% more for their two weeks than us. Clearly the hotel prices itself at a cost which it does not warrant when compared to others for the same money. We would not want to return or try another El Dorado based on our experience.

Room Tip: Junior suites in need of renovation
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HillsonHols
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Best Regards,
adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I've been to about 12 different all-inclusive resorts in and around the greater Cancun area and I must say, this resort raises the bar. My husband and I are both in our 40s and this resort provided the perfect mix of relaxation and fun. The food is outstanding...never had a bad meal...and I'm a foodie. Cocktails were plentiful (top shelf liquor) and great wine (ask for the GI wine list).

We had a room on the 5th floor of the premium block and, for us, with was worth the extra expense. I can't imagine not having a view of the ocean. The swim up suites did not provide much in the way of privacy, if you were sitting on your patio, your neighbor was RIGHT next to you. Also, not much in the way of a breeze. Beach beds on the beach were readily available, even later in the morning. If you want a beach bed by one of the pools, need to be out there by 7:30ish. We spent most of our time at the Arrecifes pool. This is the "party pool". Water aerobics, water polo and volleyball, games (bingo, name that tune, other crazy games). This pool also has a swim up bar. The entertainment staff was awesome, Lulu, Kathi, Ingrid and so many others. We had a blast. Having said that, occasionally, we just wanted to chill and read in our pool bed and nobody interfered with that. Great music at the pool all day (disco, 70s-90s). Guacamaya Lounge is the place to be in the evening. Live music, great drinks, nice place to meet people. Also, if there is a game on that you want to watch, this is the place....they have a few large tvs on sports all day.

Very romantic. This resort really focuses on couples. Age range mostly 30s - 70s. The staff is incredible and very friendly. Everyone says "hola".... We would definitely return to this resort. Just go....trust me :-)

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, get a room on a high floor in the premium suite.
1 Thank Htom

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked the El Dorado Seaside Suites for the middle two weeks in August.

On arrival we were greeted with a lovely and much appreciated cold glass of fizz and a moist towel. The check in went very smoothly and by the time we got to our room - our luggage was ready and waiting. Our room looked over a pool bar which had swim up rooms just below us. Based on our research before we booked - we knew not to expect nor request a sea view room as there are coconut trees that line all the walk ways that prevent any sort of view.

The room was lovely. Clean, very spacious and fresh. I have read some reviews of people who found the rooms dated or in need of a freshening up - but we couldn't complain.

The choice of restaurants were great. Our favourites would have been the Italian and the Asian. We were slightly disappointed with the Mexican which is surprising as we were in Mexico. Only on a couple of occasions did we have to wait for a table but the wait staff were always very attentive and would never forget about you if you were asked to wait at the bar. My only gripe would be that none of the correspondence we received before departure advised that males had to wear a collar - from visiting other 4-5* star properties before it is more commonly long trousers that are requested but after being refused entry into a restaurant for dinner one evening were we highlighted of this rule.

The bars were great - if you wanted a cocktail that wasn't on the list they would find out what was in it and make it for you. Nothing was too much trouble. The entertainment was also very good.

The beach we knew was still recovering from hurricane damage but it was still gorgeous, very relaxing and you were always able to get bed no matter what time of the day you went.

All in all we had a very relaxing fantastic time. Ate too much and drank too much but that's what holidays are for!! The wait staff could not do enough for you - we always tip (some may agree with that some don't) and not for any other reason than we felt that the service was just amazing. We will be returning to EDSS. I just hope that the expansion of the property hasn't taken away from its charm.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#55 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Seaside Suites
#105 of 386 in Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!