“Excellent Holiday!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Norwich
“Excellent Holiday!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We (2 couples on our late thirties) travelled here for 10 days. We returned last week and are missing EDSS like crazy.

We are well travelled and were pleasantly surprised with the standard of the 5 star accommodation.

The staff were great, food excellent, spotlessly clean, beach much nicer than reported on here and all in all we had a truly amazing time.

The amazing free room service was nothing previously experienced, as well as the bubble bath in the room which was sometimes filled with water and rose petals on arrival back at the room.

On the down side, and this is really the only negative thing we have to say about the entire place, our arrival at the hotel did not meet our expectations. However in hindsight I think this is because we had read so many glowing reports on here that our expectations were sky high! We arrived on a Thomson coach with around 25 others and we were the last off, resulting in a long wait for check in and no warm towels that we had read so much about! Also they had not allocated our rooms together and as we were last and the hotel was full the alternative was to be upgraded to the Hidden Beach ( nudist sister resort next door)! It seems to be luck of the draw but next time we would book private transfers and then we would have nothing at all to moan about!

All in all a fab place. We never go anywhere twice but are seriously considering our return!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AlfieEm
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Sp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,356)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I went there for 2 weeks at the beggining of May. We couldn't have had a better trip.

From Sarah, the lovely air hostess on the plane, to everyone that looked after us, we can only say this was a dream vacation.

The resort itself is very beautiful, and accessible. We had a junior suite, with a magnificent view of the jungle from the front door and just the garden and palm trees from our balcony, which was actually quite nice and quiet.

The restaurants are lovely, it's hard to pick one, but "La Carreta", "Mia Casa" and the Asian one are particularly good. Alejandro is like "the superwaiter". He took care of everyone and gave us excellent service.

The drinks are awesome, particularly the Margarita cocktail. All the bar tenders were lovely, especially the ones at the main swimming pool "Gaviotas"; they were super patient with everyone and would always try to be helpful, and creative when we asked for recommendations.

Our room was always spotless, the cleaner, Guadalupe, did a fantastic job every day.

The bellboys are super kind too, especially Mario, who gave us loads of advice, support and help. I've never met anyone so keen to help and give valuable local tips to anyone.

Gabriel, from the Arrecifes bar was our waiter every morning. We loved the breakfast buffet, but we loved Gabriel even more. He was super friendly and gave us such good service. He even remembered what we were drinking! Same with Blanca and Brenda; they were lovely and it was so

Hermelindo was lovely too, and great if you're after knowing a bit more about Mayan traditions; and Diamantina, who's seating the guests, has got the most amazing memory every. She remember our name from day 1! There was a lovely waitress too, Yuriana or something like that. She was super sweet too.

Basically, El Dorado is a fantastic place to go on holidays as a couple; beautiful place, great location, amazing food, but the best part of it is its staff. I don't know who's recruiting and training staff but they're doing a great job; well done!

We would go back to El Dorado in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Careful with the swim up suites, they are probably noisy and people can see you from the bar.
3 Thank MarioandCarmen

West Mids
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and loved the hotel. We stayed in block 34 in an upper room which was an oceanfront room.
The hotel is so clean and all the staff do a wonderful job in keeping it spotless and tidy including the lovely gardens. I have never seen so many staff at a resort and all so friendly. In particular we found Brenda who works in arrecifes and on the beach BBQ really helpful and great at her job.
We really enjoyed the food and our favourites were vida and affecifes for breakfast (there is a menu in affecifes but you may have to ask for it), vida and BBQ for lunch and klay Talay and gourmet pub in the evening. We also sat on the beach most days next to the beach bar nearest block 34 and often they would bring some food out around 12, had some great fresh food here. Our longest wait was 1hour and ten but we wanted to try a particular place and could have gone elsewhere. Usual waiting times was 30 mins.
We had the honeymoon package all on one day as recommended by our concierge Alexandra which made it a really nice day. The breakfast was huge and we couldn't eat half of it. I've not had a massage on the beach before but really enjoyed the experience. We upgraded for the evening meal and were really glad that we did. We had a secluded spot on the beach away from any bars and had another great meal.
I hope they don't make it too big in future as we liked the fact that you could walk to wherever you wanted. Would thoroughly recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NicWestMids

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I went for 2 weeks in October last year (bit of a late review) we were very lucky with the weather it rained constantly for 2 weeks prior to our arrival and for 2 weeks after we departed but we had only 1 half day of rain and 1 evening.
The people in this part of the world are so friendly and we could not of been made to feel more welcome from the staff in the hotel, the tour guides to (the wonderful Martin who accompanied us to chichenitza) to the locals on the collectivos who gave us directions.
The food was a very good standard and room service was something special.
Only one negative comment from us - it really needs to define what it is - is it a romantic getaway where it's calm and serene or is it a party venue for short weekends for those that can travel to it easily.
Loved the wildlife and the walks up and down the beach each day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have enjoyed our stay at this resort twice - so that give you some indication of how much we like this resort when we do not return to others. Solid 4 Star resort

We stayed at a swim-up room (pool actually connected to room). This is a very nice feature and is not offered bu many resorts. Will do this again if we return.

Food at the buffet is typical for an all inclusive (high school cafeteria level), however the restaurants are above average. Never had a bad meal and staff always friendly. They beach grill is something I think most people forget about as it is not frequented as much, but would highly recommend going there for lunch for a change to the buffets.

This is one resort that does serve premium liquor, unlike some. The main bar with the swings at the beach is fun to hang out in. This area is also used for a restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. All bartenders are friendly and will give you anything you want even if that means you have to walk them through the recipe for the drink. Think they like to learn new drinks as much as vacationers like to have wild, made-up drinks.

Beach is spectacular. Unfortunately, we go in may and it is usually windy so we stay in the pool so as not to get sandblasted. You will find many chairs, huts, lounge cabanas throughout the resort. Never have to worry about people placing towels on chairs to reserve them as there are plenty.

The only issue I had was the comfort of the bed. It is extremely firm. I prefer something something softer, but wife was very happy and that is what counts (mama not happy, nobody happy - lol).

Would highly recommend this resort to couples only.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin S
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 8 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Erie, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

After much research, my husband and I decided to stay at El Dorado Seaside Suites from May 4 – May 13, 2014. I am an extensive researcher, and felt confident in vacationing here due to the positive reviews from my travel agent and Trip Advisor. First and foremost, if you are seriously considering EDSS, please join the El Dorado Seaside Suites facebook fan page! This is not a page by the resort, but a page for those who have traveled to EDSS in the past, present and future. There are SO many things that I learned, and friends I “met” before even arriving! Through the site, I made an informed decision to book a beachfront room (ground level, closest to the beach) and that I wanted to be in building 34 – specifically, I wanted to be in room 3402. After emailing the resort ahead of time, and talking to their fabulous concierge, we were pleasantly surprised to receive room 3402!

My travel agent split the cost of a private transfer through Lomas (a Lincoln Navigator) and I could not believe that we had never done that before! We have been to this area of Mexico several times in the past and it normally takes an hour and a half by shuttle, as they stop at several resorts to let people off. Our way there, we got Mr. Speedy Gonzales and made it in 50 minutes. It was fantastic! The way back, it took us about one hour and 10 minutes. It was pouring when we arrived in Cancun, but the sun was shining for us at EDSS.

Check in was a breeze. We are still quite surprised at how painless it was! We were greeted with a margarita and nice comfy chairs. We were given our room keys, towel card and safe key while sipping a cold drink! (Yes… downside – towel cards and safe keys. Don’t loose them, or you will be charged!) We were taken by golf cart to our perfect beachfront room. We were on the quiet end of the resort, and I’m pretty sure our room was the closest to the beach. Of course, there is a wall of bushes that separate our room from the beach, but there is a section of the wall you can actually just hop over, or just walk about 30 feet to the actual entrance to the beach.

The room was spacious – jetted tub, the MOST comfortable bed I have ever slept on, mini bar with Sol, Coors Light, etc., soft drinks and a few snacks (which I honestly couldn’t eat – Sun Chips made with plantains…). There is coffee too, although I didn’t try it in the room. There is an iron/board, umbrella, robes, slippers, hair dryer, etc. The one thing that my husband and I did not like about the room was that the separate toilet room and the shower had motion sensor lights. So, I tried not to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night so I wouldn’t be blinded at 2 in the morning! We considered unscrewing the light bulb, but….

After previously staying at a resort that required reservations at every meal, we were so happy that no reservations were required (with the exception of the Gourmet Pub). If you want to eat at the GP, you just need to make a reservation a few days in advance. And, speaking of the restaurants, the food here is fabulous! They do have buffet options for breakfast and lunch, if you so choose. But, the great thing about this resort is there are ala carte options for every meal. This is the first time I didn’t get sick of a buffet while on vacation!

The drinks were fabulous! Some have said they think they are watered down, but we didn’t see that at all. And, they actually had Heineken on tap! My husband and I love microbrews (and of course, you won’t get that in Mexico!), but it was great to have a beer that wasn’t Corona or Dos Equis.

I must say that the grounds here are immaculate! There is always staff cleaning, pruning, working on something, etc. And, speaking of the staff, this was the first time we have gone to a resort and not had one single staff member to complain about. There is always usually that one bartender or pool manager that was grumpy, etc., but not here. Every single staff member was happy and tried to please you. It was so refreshing! A few stick out in my mind – Crystal, Anna and Graciela! Thank you all for everything you do!!

The beach beds are quite plentiful and, for the most part, comfortable. However, we did notice quite the towel game going on. We are from the US, and we realized that most of the guests were from the UK. As they have quite a time difference, they would be awake much earlier than us (which I completely understand!). We are one hour earlier than Mexico. So, if we waited until we left the room, before going to breakfast, to find a beach bed, most times we would be out of luck. Or, we would have to choose a bed that was far up from the water, or otherwise undesirable location. On two occasions, my husband actually got up at about 6:30 to go throw some towels down. I never thought I would play the towel game, but we thought we deserved a good beach bed every once in awhile! There are also plenty of chairs with palapas, so we would sit in those as well. We are not big pool folks, so we spent most of our time at the beach. Although, we did find ourselves playing pool volleyball every now and again!

Speaking of the beach… I must say this was our only true disappointment. The sand on the beach wasn’t too bad, but not super silky either. But, the biggest problem we saw was the sand in the water. You really have to watch out for rocks in the water, or the reef. Unfortunately, my husband cut up his feet, and I cut my knee on the reef/rocks. So, if you want to spend a lot of time in the ocean, be sure to bring water shoes. OR… here is a hint. If you are looking out to the ocean, take a walk to the right of the resort. There is a very large span of beach between EDSS and the next resort. The water and sand is very silky and smooth!! We were bummed that we only figured this out a day before leaving the resort! This part of the beach is not allocated to any resort and is a must try!

We tip a lot, as we both have been in the restaurant industry before. Please tip the staff! This goes a long way – for you and the staff!

This really was a great resort, and a great area to visit. We did venture out on a catamaran excursion and to meet up with an old friend in Playa del Carmen. Rather than taking a collectivo, we decided on a cab, which really didn’t cost too much. Security getting into and out of the resort is amazing, and certainly made us feel safe.

We did not go to any of the evening shows, although I have heard that they were pretty amazing!

We made some wonderful friends at the resort that we believe will be lifelong friends – most of which started with a simple Facebook page. Will we stay at EDSS again? Maybe. I don’t really know the answer to that yet. As mentioned above, we really love being on the beach, and being in the water. And, that was our biggest disappointment here. Other than that (and the motion sensor light!) this resort is amazing and everything we could have possibly asked for!! We are very happy we chose EDSS for our trip this year!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are amazing! Specifically in building 34!
7 Thank Amy W

McCordsville, Indiana
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My Husband and I arrived at El Durado Seaside the Sunday after our wedding. We were welcomed with a glass of champagne, a moist towel, and a quick check in. When entering our room we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us.The beaches were outstanding and our room was beautiful. We had a Swim up Jacuzzi Room which I would highly recommend (Especially if one of you is subject to getting sunburn easily). It was really Nice for us because my Husband can not tolerate the sun as much as I can, so I was able to still Lay out and be by the pool outside of our room while my husband stayed in the room to relax. There are plenty of beach chairs and beds along the beach and pools, however I would suggest getting out their early and putting your towels down on a spot to reserve for the day. The food was amazing and the staff was so courteous and welcoming.

1 Thank Katie P

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
UNICO 20.87 Hotel Riviera Maya
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!