“Lovely Break - Excellent Staff”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely Break - Excellent Staff”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We spent 2 weeks at this lovely resort at the end of May. Like everywhere it is always easy to focus on the things that maybe aren't 100% and there were a few things here that annoyed us but overall we felt that this was a beautiful resort and very well maintained and we will definitely come back.

Reception: Excellent welcome after what seemed like the longest transfer ever. Welcomed with a nice cold drink and towel and processed very quickly. We were sent ahead to our room and our luggage was delivered about 20 minutes later.

Room: We stayed in the premium block on the 4th floor and although we wouldn't have chosen this room (would prefer old style but none available) we were really impressed. The room was MASSIVE as was the bed. The bed was the most comfy I have ever slept in. The entire room was well equipped and apart from requesting extra hangers we did not require anything and nor did we have any complaints.

Beach: We did find the beach a little disappointing but we were away of the issues before travelling. The first week we struggled to get a bed without being up before 7am but the second week you could still get one after 10. We didn't really spend any time at the pools so can't really comment.

Food: The food was lovely. Don't get me wrong, it's not 5* restaurant quality but it is well above what you would expect and indeed normally get at an all inclusive resort. For us we liked the Mexican and also the Gourmet Pub. The Pub menu is very odd and takes some getting use to but for us the best waitress on the entire resort works in this restaurant (Sandra). She goes about and beyond.

Bars: We spent quite a bit of time at the main bar, always quick service and loads to choose from.

What I will say is that when is rains they really let themselves down here. We has 3 full days of torrential rain and the place really struggled to cope. The phone lines went down many time for hours at a time. Not able to order room service. Also, quite a few of the restaurants desperately need their roofs fixing as they were leaking. Vida was particularly bad.

I could probably go on for ages but all I will say is that for the money we paid this resort excelled and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank yoda04
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Sp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,299)
  • Polish first
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2014

At best this is a average hotel in Mexico. There is nothing special about Sea Side especially the food they call Gourmet! Our stay started with us not having the room we booked and a having to deal with the rudest, meanest concierge "Crystal" we have ever had and I can go on and on about her but I won't. If we never return to this place it will because of her and the way she treated us.
On the other hand we had the best butler we've ever had. His name was Candido and he was outstanding in every way. Our first night we eat at the Pub and it was so good we decided to eat there our last night, what a mistake that was. Our food was burnt so bad plus we had to wait over 45 minutes for the main course. The other restrauants are so so at best. The BBQ on the pier wasn't to bad.
If your a beach person who likes to swim go elsewhere as this place is shallow and full of rocks.you had to watch where you were entering the water, the good thing was the water was crystal clear and able to see fish without snorkeling. The ride from the airport is about 1 1/2 hrs.
If we do return it will be because of our butler not because of the concierge!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank John B
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Best Regards,
adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa
london uk
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I know I know that many people have enjoyed their holiday here but really we were not that impressed. The grounds are lovely and the gardeners work really hard but would def. not put this as a 4/5 star hotel, There were falling coconuts from the palms which would and could cause serious injury we found the staff to be robotically functional reminded us of the step ford wives. After a sudden downpour the stairs and the stairwells we slippery and left soaking wet even though the cleaners were sheltering in the block. The pools are too small to accommodate the amount of guests and have no shade unless you chose a cabana and then need to be up at the crack of dawn to get one. There are three beaches one shingle on OK and the other one disgusting. The only time the beaches were cleaned was 30 mins before a wedding other than that bits of wood, seaweed galore just floating around. The Gastro Pub which you have to book is a joke, all the restaurants will ask if you have any allergies and I do I am highly allergic to Fish and what doe they serve yep Salmon and Anchovies. When I advised the waiter that I could not eat anything on the chopping board yes that's right a chopping board I was given 2 slices of plain toast. Nice.The beach waitresses are a joy especially Grace who was a diamond. When we arrived our concierge asked if we were celebrating anything else other than my birthday and we advised yes our anniversary, The Thomson rep Sam is lovely and asked that our room be decorated for my birthday Nothing doing but the cleaner did do a nice birthday cake towel art. Having been lucky enough to have visited the Caribbean several times I can honestly say that Jamaica would wipe the floor with this hotel, Food is mediocre at a push and we survived on room service burgers and the Mexican. The flight over was comfortable on the new Dreamliner but the Gatwick crew were awful. we upgraded to premier and can honestly say the journey outbound was a waste of money but on the way back we had a crew from Manchester what a difference service was excellent. The weather was very kind to us but would never stay at this hotel or Mexico ever again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3212 overlooking the beach nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bjlarke

Best Regards,
adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Needed to get away to rest and recharge. Stayed 4 nights and had a wonderful time.
Not really into all inclusive resorts but this one was the exception. Go to spa its top notch, beautiful facility and talented staff. We plan on returning soon.

Room Tip: Get up early to get a good spot on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa R

brighton
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We travelled in September and when I remember it, it was bliss. My advice is remember to take your marriage certificate because it would be a real shame to miss out on the free extras you get when your on Honey moon. You arrive to a refreshing drink and a cloth to cool you down. Our suite was the bomb. It looked even nicer than the pictures the bath had been run with bubbles and a bottle of bubblie, petals sprinkled on the bed and our names on the TV. There is a great choice of restaurants, I'm a self appointed foodie. I did find the Asian disappointing and I hate to say the Mexican also. It was wasn't bad just not amazing. I think they cater to try and please everyone. The food is not spicy, if you like it hot ask for the hot sauce. The romantic beach dinner was just that very special. The breakfast were divine. my favourite place to have breakfast was on the beach, even if it rained a little it didn't spoil it. I recommend the Bistro for dinner. I really enjoyed yoga at the end of the pier in the morning a great way to start the day. The gym is small but you can do a basic work out. The Spa is one of the best I've been to. What an experience. You really must go, I even managed to drag the new hubby along and we had a great time. The resort its self was small enough not to feel to commercial but big enough to have your privacy. If you don't like walking they have carts to drive you around. We stayed in a beach front suit which was lovely to hear the trees and the Ocean. We found all the staff extremely helpful and friendly. They really try to think of every thing. They have reading glasses and wraps for the restaurants. The selection of drink in the bars and the cocktails were excellent. My hubby had Jonny Walker black label every night. Yes you should tip after meals and drinks so try and get a lot of $1 notes before you go. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank NumNumNads

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Where do I start? Apologies for the ramble in advance, but its well worth the read.
I booked this for our honeymoon as we were recommended it by our travel agent Thomson. I had my reservations as to whether the resort would live up to the expectations I had and I was not disappointed. The transfer was longer than I was used (just over an hour) but to be to be honest, once I stepped off the coach, the view more than made up for it, and it only got better the more you saw. From tropical flowers and trees, to raccoons, geckos, land crabs and iguanas all within a stone throw of our room door, We received margaritas and a cold towel on arrival and were checked in within 20 mins ( there was a group of 14 of us and we were the last couple). We stayed in block 2200, pristinely clean with a jacuzzi, the room was enormous with a huge bed and it was within 2 mins of all amenities, perfectly situated for us, and the personal concierge girls, Ana Paula and Mary were absolutely wonderful, they made sure we had everything we needed to make our stay as amazing as possible. We returned to our room every day to find unbelievable animals made from towels with flowers decorating them! The stretch of beach we sunbathed on was in between the guacamole bar and the white pagoda and that was cleaned of any seaweed debris (which was virtually nothing) by a lovely gentleman twice a day, so it always looked pristine. The beach waitress we had was Lucy, she was fantastic, she never left us without a drink. Nothing was too much for any one of the numerous members of staff there to make your stay as memorable as possible. The food was like a piece of artwork, every plate was meticulously made to look as delicious as possible, and it was, from lobster to marlin, asian, italian, english and traditional Mexican dishes, every restaurant was an amazing experience, and the guacamole bar with the most attentive bar staff I have ever had the good fortune to meet has the most inventive cocktails and vast selection of drinks you could ask for. I struggle to find why anyone reports negatives for this resort, I can only put it down to their tour operator (where some people have reported bad transfers etc..) or they were mislead in some way as to what to expect? I cannot recommend this resort enough for anyone who wants a quiet holiday away with a personal vibe and a touch of class. Everyone we met was wonderful and we will definitely be going back there for an anniversary. Well done Karisma, we loved it xx

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
24 Thank MicknTracie J

Manchester
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We arrived on 30th May and stayed for 2 weeks. Weather was mainly excellent after a couple of days of rain and cloud. We had nothing but superb service throughout our stay, from the check in and our concierge organising free wi-fi, to waiting staff (esp. Abraham at the Sandwicherie & Graciella on the beach) and gardeners / pool staff who all had a smile and friendly hola.

We enjoyed all the food we had, especially the buffet breakfast with freshly made omelettes and the lunch barbecue and buffets on the pier. Our favourite restaurants were the Italian and Mexican. The gourmet pub was also very good, just odd that you have to make a reservation and it rarely seems full. If you're looking to eat 4 plates of buffet every night, this isn't the resort for you. You'll find yourself in a restaurant with a menu, but will have lots to choose from and plenty to eat. Portions are probably based on somewhere between English and American appetites. Don't forget, you can eat your own bodyweight in fine food at breakfast and lunch though! Also, room service is available 24 hours if you underdid it.

We really enjoyed the fire show on the beach and the entertainment team were always friendly and keen to talk about what was going on over the next day or two.

The beach was great, we never had a problem finding recliners or daybeds, even on the hottest days. It was nicely busy but not crowded. The sea temperature was like a warm bath and the man made reef means you can always swim and feed the fish / snorkel, even when it's rough out at sea. We took advantage of the excellent facilities on the beach and went jet skiing and parasailing (extra cost).

We often used the 24 hour room service and found this to be excellent, both at breakfast and dinner. Some people have complained about damp-smelling rooms. Ours was fine and the aircon was on most of the time. If you don't want the risk of dampness, avoid the tropics or anywhere else with 70%+ humidity and temperatures of 30 degrees (!). Maybe head to Dubai or somewhere equally desert-y.

We had only 2 minor gripes: the cleaners were very efficient but did like to have loud conversations at 7am (hence only 4 stars - bed was extremely comfortable). We made a point of reporting this. Also, on a couple of occasions we weren't left any shower gel. Overall though, the cleaners did a fantastic job.

Secondly: we felt a little annoyed that the (well-publicised) dress codes were not always observed in the restaurants. The hotel lets itself down in not having the courtesy to remind some American guests that muscle-vests and baseball caps are not appropriate for nice restaurants, especially when most people have made an effort to dress in proper clothes.

In summary: we had a fantastic holiday in an immaculate hotel with nice food and premium drinks. The resort is a nice size- you can get anywhere on foot in 5 minutes. It felt uncrowded and very well staffed. We will happily return. When we work out how much it cost per day, including flights, accommodation and as much as you can eat / drink, this is amazing value for money. Probably the same as staying in a Premier Inn in London for 14 nights. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had a swim up room (4105) which had the sun until 1pm. After that take a 2 minute walk to the poo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank dkmesq

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!