“So Disappointed”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wales
“So Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We travelled here January 2014, we were recommended to travel between January and April as that was the nicest time of the year. I know the weather is uncontrollable and of no fault at all to anyone but it was awful and this did put a massive downer on our holiday. Firstly we arrived after a long transfer to the hotel late at night, we just wanted to go straight to our room and relax but we were ushered into a welcome meeting asked to fill out information then given a glass of wine which was quite nice. Then we were put on a golf cart to go to our room, this is where it all went wrong. We had booked the room based on images seen on the First Choice website- we avoid high rise buildings as neither of us like heights- so we were sent to the 5 story building and put on the top floor. Once in the room we had two 3/4 size beds, not one double, we could not sleep side by side on them. We tried pushing them together but they were just rolling around on the floor, everytime I sat down it would roll away from the wall. We rang down and told the reception of our problem, considering its a couples adults only hotel I cannot understand why they would even have a double room with 2 3/4 size beds in them. Reception could not understand why we didn't like the room as apparently it was an upgrade to a premier suite, we wanted to change to a room we had originally expected but they did not have one available for another day and a half. My boyfriend then ordered room service, he enjoyed his meal, I took one look at mine said I wasn't eating it, so he said he would eat it, after one bite he refused to eat anymore as it was disgusting. He had also ordered two desserts, one of which the waiter dropped on the floor, he also refused to eat these as they looked and smelt vile (He is a wagon driver for a living so will normally eat anything without a problem).The next day it rained non stop, there was very little to do, with jet lag and the view of the rain from the balcony we were not happy bunny's. The view probably would have been fantastic and we most likely could have got used to the room if we had persisted, so we were moaning and complaining due to the circumstances. When moved to the other room, granted it was small and we didn't have any free slippers but it was much more suitable. It was cosier and more romantic like expected, the bed was massive and very comfortable and the bathroom was an adequate size. We had the jacuzzi in our room next to the balcony. Unfortunately the balcony over looked a pool bar where a group of Americans liked to congregate everyday and shout and scream very loudly all day from around 11am until 5-6pm. The thing I was looking forward to the most on this holiday and from the reviews was the food. I cannot recall a single thing that I looked forward to eating, the choice and layout of the food was quite appalling for a 5* hotel, I have been to 4 star hotels and had far nicer. I am vegetarian and eat fruit for breakfast most mornings, the first day I piled my plate high with this but left most untouched as it was so sour and bitter I struggled to eat it. The only restuarant I liked was the Italian, and there was only one or two dishes there suitable for vegetarians, this was a nightmare the whole holiday to find things that I could eat and enjoy, and when telling waiters that I didn't want meat most of them didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I'm surely not the only vegetarian to ever have been to this hotel?!! My boyfriend also liked the Italian. The main problem was the food was so inconsistent, ordered a tenderloin steak one night, it was nice, then the next night he ordered the same and the dish came different and he didn't finish it. This was the same for all meals, inconsistency, it was such a let down, and especially the desserts which were all inedible and we ended up buying chocolate from the shops instead. The main story my boyfriend has been telling since about Mexico was going into the shop to buy me a packet of walkers crisps (Lays) and being charged £6.00 which is asbolutely absurd, the shops on the resort were well overpriced it was disgusting. The service from the housekeeping was fantastic, the lady who cleaned our room was lovely and we left her tips nearly everyday. The service in the restaurants was mostly good, they were a little pushy at times and seemed as though they were just hanging around for a tip. The lunchtime restaurant by the main bar was terrible for service, it was no fault of the staff they were still friendly but we would wait 30 minutes before getting food, so we started to go to the beach bbq. The bar staff for the most part were good, the drinks waiters were very nice though and luisa by the relax pool really looked after us. The barman at the relax pool though was not particularly friendly until we gave him a hefty tip on our last day before leaving, proving my point that unless you gave them money they wouldn't help. Considering I paid nearly £4000 for this holiday for 2 weeks I did not expect to go there and give most of my spending money for trips and excursions to staff, we missed out on an additional two trips because we tipped so much. As far as I am concerned it is an all inclusive holiday, and if everyone is paying prices around that amount then there is no reason why the hotel cannot pay staff a better wage. This is another reason why we really didn't enjoy the hotel, we wanted to go to mexico as a one time experience and go on lots of trips travelling but we were unable to do that, which is a massive shame.
As stated previous we generally spent time at the relax pool, we has to fight everyday to get a sun lounger and would have to go down there at 6-7 am in the morning to put down towels. At the beginning we did not do this as the pool rules stated if towels were put down they would be taken back up, this didn't happen and quite a few days we couldnt find anywhere to sit in the sun and would end up sitting back in the room. As it wasn't particularly warm on most days it was essential that we could get a space in the sun, there definitely wasn't enough sun loungers. The pool water was dirty and absolutely freezing cold. The sun loungers by the pools were comfortable as they were cushioned, but the ones on the beach were awful and the backs kept springing up on them etc. Another surprise for us was being told when we got there that the resort was joined with an au natural hotel, which is absolutely fine it didn't bother us at all. The relax pool was situated next to the fence onto which the au natural beach once, then there is a small piece of beach and the sea. One day walking along the beach on the right side of the fence we saw two couples having sex in the sea, not really something we wanted to witness. Thats fine if people want to go to the other hotel for that reason but why would they allow that to happen out in the sea in plain view of everyone that wasn't in the au natural hotel.

The final nail in the coffin was then both of us getting violently ill at the end of the first week. I pride myself on having a stomach of steel, I never get ill, even on my two trips to egypt where people are renowned for getting ill, I was fine. I could not work out what was making us so ill, so we started cutting out food to see what difference it would make, but it didn't make any at all, we kept coming up with different theories and the staff said it was probably just because the food was prepared differently. But nothing we eat would or should have made us ill. After a process of elimination I realised it was the swimming pools, as soon as I stopped going in the swimming pools and dipping my head under the water etc I stopped getting ill.
The single redeming point of this holiday was the spa, it was immaculately clean, the showers were fantastic, the experience there was brilliant, although very overpriced again. If you go to that hotel I couldnt recommend it enough going to the spa.
Other than that, bad weather (uncontrollable I know), bad food, pushy service wanting tips all the time, dirty pools, not enough sun loungers. If I had gone there on my honeymoon I would have been furious, if they want to say it is a 5* hotel they seriously need to make it 5*. I just returned from a 2nd holiday in Egypt (as Mexico was so disappointing) for a 1/4 of the price with out of this world food, drinks, service and accomodation!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pebbles565
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,240)
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My now husband and myself just arrived home today. Our time here was amazing! We spend the first 7 days of our holiday and wedding at another 5 star resort, which doesnt even compare! Then we moved to EDSS for the honeymoon. Food was fantastic, rooms were clean, they even upgraded us for our honeymoon. There has been a few changes since we were there last; new high rise, new pool and bar, new pub restaurant. The resort is unfortunately busier than before because of the high rise which made it very difficult any time
After 9am to get a beach bed or chair, unlike last time we could find something to relax on anytime of day, more chairs needed. The beach is okay, kind of rocky, but once you get in the water it turns sandy. The area your in for some reason has different sand then Cancun, the sand is more like crushed up seashells, but its still beautiful and you can walk bare foot no problem. The new restaurant is soo good!!! Delicious! Wish we didn't wait for our last night to try it!!! Our last resort made each one of our wedding guests ill at some point, even my husband and myself, but EDSS we had no issues with the food, tried everything and each restaurant once. Cant wait to go back!! Thank you to the staff for making our honeymoon unforgettable!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rach0055
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Best regards
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Sp
Dartford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

... try it for yourself. We chose this hotel based on a recommendation from a friend and I've got to say we had a lovely time and weren't disappointed. We had looked at the mixed reviews before we went so were very dubious what we were going to find but I can honestly say we really enjoyed it.

We travelled with Thomson from Gatwick on the Dreamliner in early June which was really smooth which is more than can be said for our journey through Immigration at Cancun Airport - 1 1/2 hours it took us to get through the airport !!!! Combine that with a lengthy 1 1/2 hours transfer it did seem like an incredibly long journey to the hotel but despite all that it was worth it. When we did eventually arrive we were greeted with ice cold drinks and taken to our room very quickly. We stayed in room 4004 which is one of the swim-up rooms which was nice. Like other people have mentioned the room did slightly smell of damp when we first got in there but you have to make sure you leave the air-conditioning on and this soon disappears. The room had everything we wanted - it was large, very clean, had a huge Jacuzzi bath, large comfortable bed, TV and a lovely mini-bar which was re-stocked daily. The personal concierge was available every day for anything from restaurant reservations, beachtowels, and even giving us a choice of pillow preference!

We enjoyed the food there - for breakfast we tended to use the Arrecifes restaurant as that was buffet style and you literally could choose anything you wanted. We also tended to eat at the Sandwicherie at lunchtime and the service and food there was excellent. We tried all the different restaurants in the evening, our personal favourites being Vida Garden Grill and Mia Casa. The service in each and every restaurant was excellent - the waiters were magnificent.

Entertainment wise it is mainly structured around the main Guacamayas Bar where there is usually live music but there are also live shows at Piccadilly Circus a couple of times a week. Although quite cheesy, these were good fun. It is not a rowdy hotel and never will be so if you are going there looking for that sort of holiday then you are going to the wrong place.

Despite having a swim-up room we spent most of the time on the beach - please don't take that as a slight against the room, we just enjoyed having the choice of being out and about . The beach was lovely - I appreciate what people say in that its not a huge beach and not great for swimming but it was extremely clean. It was lovely paddling amongst all the fish - my husband even saw a stringray there!!!! We never struggled to get a sun lounger - there was always some available no matter what time you appeared. We were also very lucky with the weather - despite the dreadful forecast before we left, we only had a tiny bit of rain in the whole 10 days we were there.

The staff are absolutely amazing - I cannot stress enough how fantastic they all are and they absolutely made the holiday. They are all extremely hardworking but despite that, nothing is ever too much trouble and you are always greeted with a friendly "hola".

So go and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JSully2014
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 8 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Best regards,
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

To keep this simple for the money, it simply isn't worth it and for me it is definitely not 5*

The food was inconsistent - best is the garden grill/gourmet pub, worst was the Mexican (awful!), breakfast/lunch had some odd choices but the french toast was a safe bet and the beach BBQ was pleasant.
Service was good but not personable for the time we spent there unlike other inclusive hotels we have stayed at.
Beach was nice but a little rocky and with ugly coral areas (eco-friendly), we found a better one a 10 minute taxi ride away, absolute paradise!
House keeping was poor, twice ours hadn't been serviced until after 5pm
The room itself was large and jacuzzi bath was a treat - no complaints here
Drinks were lovely and on tap - great cocktails, again no complaints!

One of the biggest annoyances of the whole stay was the WIFI - the fact you have to pay an excess to use this is a disgrace! Completely understand if hotels do not provide WIFI as holidays are supposed to be a time for relaxation but if you are going to offer it then have the decency to do so as a complimentary service, especially when customers are paying such a high price for the stay anyway.

To conclude, small things like the champagne on arrival and luxurious 4 poster sun loungers lead you to believe this could be a 5* hotel but for me it was only a 4* and for value for money I think it only deserves a 3!

Room Tip: Swim up room was an excellent choice!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank francesca r

england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

It was back in April when we visited but having read the reviews I wanted to comment on the beach. I agree that it wasn't huge but I wonder how many people actually walked the length of the beach to find their perfect spot? We sunbathed far over to the left side of the resort (as you look at the sea) which was peaceful and well served by a waiter walking up and down, and a bar. There was a choice of beds, the standard type or the large shaded double beds. Most days we had both all day so we could move one to the other. There being other beds free nearby meant we weren't leaving anyone else short.
But, yes, further to the right hand side of the resort I saw people pacing up and down looking for beds and it was noisy and crowded. They just didn't seem to want to walk up our end of the beach. Which was fine by me!!
The pools again were varied but there was a huge one in front of the Premier suites which anyone can access. But the small pool by where we sunbathed, again to the left hand side was lovely and peaceful.
We were at peak Easter time by the way so it's not like the resort wasn't busy.
But yes there were one or two reservations. I wasn't that thrilled with the food tbh. It all seemed a bit samey. Apart from the sandwichery for breakfast and lunch which were my favourite meals. Evenings not so.
The Gourmet pub was just strange. Difficult to work out what the choices were and not at all memorable. Not all the restaurants were open and when it rained once (and it really pours!) the restaurants filled up and we were actually stranded out in the rain because they were queuing out of the doors. We were far from our room so we got soaked in our evening clothes!!! Not blaming the rain of course but there are few places to "go" other than the restaurants or your room!
The room was fantastic though. We were on the top floor of the Premier block. Not a pretty building to look at but we decided it was the best place to be. Great balcony with a bed and a gorgeous view of the tree canopy and the sea. Lovely exotic birds too. Watched the rising sun in the morning (jet lag) and felt extremely comfortable and happy in my room. It was huge and there was a jaccuzi which I hadn't expected. The tickets and the booking form both said different types of room so we really didn't know what we were going to get! But very happy once we saw the room. The beds are as comfortable as other reviewers said. Best I've ever slept in and huge. Air con and fan. Very comfy.
Iguanas everywhere but few insects. Clean mostly but I found some sun beds greasy and sticky. Some were covered with a fresh sheet every day and others not at all. Seemed no pattern to it!
Overall I won't go back but if you're reading this having already booked, don't panic, just explore the resort and find your favourite bit. It's a lovely place and it's what you make it.

• Stayed April 2014
11 Thank chicken36

Best regards,
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked this as we had previously stayed at el dorado royal (sister hotel). Well this hotel does not compare in any way shape or fashion. Entertainment in evening was non existent even though they advertised beach party this was cancelled on both weeks due to wedding party and lack of staff. We spoke to entertainment staff but they stated it was management decision. It felt as though wedding parties had priority over normal guests. Beach is awful, take some type of shoe you can you in sea very rocky and shallow. Drinks not great either. Most of the restaurants serve up the same food for example similiar menu in garden grill and gourmet pub. We both had upset tummy for a good six days after speaking to other guests they were complaining of the same. Janet the beach waitress was an absolute star. If you get to the beach any later 8am then forget getting a sun bed they all have towels on, although their is a rule regarding leaving belongings on beds nobody takes any notice and impossible to get around the pool.

Highlight of the holiday : coming home
This feels such a negative review, I'm very disappointed however I cannot fault their sister el dorado royal as this is a 5 star hotel and seaside suites is a meagre 3* at the best.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Angie P

Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Me and my wife have just returned from seaside suites were we celebrated 25 years of marriage, upon arrival our hoilday company (Thomson) had not told them that we needed a ground floor beach front apartment due to my wife needing a walking stick to walk they gave us a first floor apartment which we declined it after waiting around for 1 hour at reception they found one for us only for us to see a white wash wall of the beach bar which was being renervated.
The wardrobe in out room had mould on the walls which made our clothes smell, the food was ok but only 5 restaurants open at night.
The beach was not all that good which was a let down would I rate this as a 5 star hotel (NO) more like a 3 star but I must admit the staff were brilliant, polite and friendly

Room Tip: The swim ups rooms look very small
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank skelly2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,354 reviews

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!