“Our third visit!”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 August 2014

After saying we would try somewhere different this year things conspired against us so we came back to our favourite place! A few tweeks here and there have made improvements and the hotel is keen to keep doing this to improve. Special thanks to Candido our butler who looked after us wonderfully during our stay so we didn't lift a finger! Everyone here makes you feel so welcome and they can't do enough for you! Give it a try you won't be disappointed! Our daughter and partner have been an are already planning to return next year!

5  Thank missellie121
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed for one week in May using a timeshare week with RCI. The resort occupies a very large expanse of land and is located on the edge of a lagoon/reef (?) with a long stretch of clean sandy beach, which is accessed from inside the resort grounds. There are many loungers and some fixed day beds with thatched roofs and palm trees to provide some shade. BUT the trick is you have to be up at the crack of dawn to get one. There are signs saying "do not reserve beds - belongings will be handed in to security" but no-one takes any notice. We saw beds reserved until past 11.00am and nothing happened! Why have rules if management doesn't intend to implement them?
The resort has a variety of types of accommodation. Those overlooking the beach looked the nicest and were single storey. We were towards the back of the complex with no views except tree tops but that was fine. Our block" was two storey and had approximately 20 units(rooms). We were on the upper level. Our room was large with a king-size(?) bed and a large spa in the corner. We had a balcony with table and two chairs. The ground floor apartments are the swim out ones. Their balconies overlook the continuous swim-out pool. There is adequate hanging and drawer space. The rooms look a little tired - brown paintwork - but are very clean. The bathrooms are very big.
We had a number of issues the first day. Our toilet wouldn't flush, which they fixed very quickly. When we were going out to dinner the first night our door wouldn't close/lock. The maintenance man came within a few minutes and fixed that. Our spa tap ran all night, which kept us awake. They fixed that the next day.
The grounds are well maintained with heaps of plants and trees.The beach is very clean and the water is great for swimming as it's an enclosed reef there is no surf.
We had breakfast and lunch at the outdoor eatery area near the bar or the area inside. We had dinner twice at the Garden restaurant (?) and the Gourmet Pub. Don't be put off their food is amazing and probably our favourite of all the dining options. We weren't that impressed with the Mexican restaurant and the Thai restaurant was our least favourite of all.
We have to say the best thing about this resort was the staff. They are all amazing. Each apartment has a Concierge. They are based near your apartment in a little "office". You collect and return your pool towels there. They will help with any queries, took care of our maintenence issues and will make your dinner reservations.
The bar area is very lively during the day and during the evening. There was entertainment every night.
We were a little concerned about this resort as we have never done an all-inclusive before, but we certainly felt it was great value for money. The other attraction was it's an adults only resort.
We would recommend this resort and would probably return if it was a little closer to Australia!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank evertravelling
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We spent our vacation at el dorado seaside suites, and we cannot stop talking when we got back from it, an awesome experience, i consider the concierge a 5 star they treat awesome and they make sure they make you feel right at home. Many variaties of foods selection that you can have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Activity all day long, and the bars have many drinks selection and if you don't want any on the list they would gladly make to you, long story anything you need that they don't have, they will try there best to make sure you get it. We are already thinking of going back next year. 5- Star hotel

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is a fantastic holiday destination for couples. It is so relaxing. The staff are wonderful, so friendly and attentive. The grounds are immaculate and are constantly being kept clean and maintained. The food is out of this world and so beautifully presented. You definately go home much larger than when you first arrived. The journey to the resort from the airport seemed to take for ever and we were on the coach for 3 hours, which is far too long. We seemed to take for ever dropping off at each hotel. Our room was one of the swim up ones. it was large with a huge bed but was very dated and dark inside, not at all like the pictures on the website, Needless to say the least time we spent in there the better. The advantage of having our own sunbathing area with pool was wonderful and very relaxing. The beach was where we spent most of our time and we had to get up very early, ie 6am to secure a beach double bed. We tried going much later but they were all gone. Snorkelling was fun but there wasn't much to see unless you were very patient and waited for ages. The trip to Chichenitzu was excellent and a must. The only other disappointing thing was the concierge tried to encourage us to attend an hour and a half meeting the day before we were due home to try and sell us membership in case we wanted to stay there again. Needless to say we much preferred swimming and sunbathing so declined.

Room Tip: try the recently added new block.
3  Thank bootross

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Beautiful grounds, very peaceful. Even though there were lots of people there (adults only), you didn't feel as if it was crowded and uncomfortable. We had a jacuzzi junior beachfront suite and it was awesome! Roomy, comfortable, great view - loved the shower! The service was amazing, people were so friendly and helpful. Food (especially the italian restaurant) was to die for! Drinks were plentiful and made well. The beach is small but beautiful and the beachside beds were great for a day of relaxing. We took two tours from the resort and both went smoothly and were a good time. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sunshineintexas

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have waited two weeks before writing this review as I wanted to reflect on my holiday to write an honest opinion. I had really high expectations of this hotel after Thomson positively promoted it to us and through other social networking sites which regard this hotel very highly. I was however left feeling slightly let down. I'll talk you through some of the positives and negatives of my experience there.
Pro's -
The Dreamliner was great, paid to upgrade to the premium cabin which was in my opinion was well worth the money. Do check frequently and go into the store as the price for this does fluctuate. You do get a lot more leg room and the TV is bigger. You get a choice of meal too.

The hotel is small which is nice if you do want a more personal feel. The grounds are kept so well the staff are always working on them. The staff in general are great and honestly cant do enough for you. The décor in the restaurants is also great they do look lovely and have a nice atmosphere to them. The rooms in the premium block are lovely. The ones that stick out over the pool are also bigger (we had one of these) and it was lovely. Really big and the bed is really comfy so you do get a wonderful nights sleep. The spa is gorgeous, the treatments are expensive but again I thought worth it I had a hot stones massage which I got 20% off. It was for 80 mins and was a full body - you wouldn't get this in the UK. It also had the water journey included in the price which was also lovely. Due to the size of the hotel and the swim up pool bars you do get to meet people. We met some great people and this is what actually made our holiday. The trips which we booked through Lomas in the reception were also good, swam with whale sharks, swam with turtles, swam in cenotes and went to Coba, all on small mini buses which was nice. Room service was also great!
Now for the cons's and the things which we weren't happy with and the little bits which I do not feel make this a 5* resort. In a way I feel bad writing it because I did have a good holiday but I have to be honest.

The con's
The beach is not great, I felt really let down by Thomson and I have taken it further with them. I asked for a nice beach. I read reviews on here and saw pics, I went into the store and aired my concerns to be told that the beach really is great. I do not think it is, if you have visited other Caribbean islands you will be left disappointed. The beach at EDSS is very narrow, the brochure pictures are obviously from some time ago before the hurricane and erosion to the beach. In some areas it was that narrow lounging furniture would not fit. The beach has loads of shells on it which can be a bit sharp. There is also sea wall which I was advised not to worry about however it does run the length of the beach so if you want to swim out in the sea you'd have to find a gap in it and it doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing. The bits of the beach which are good have that many sunbeds on you are packed in like sardines. I'm not a beach person but my fella is and he was really let down by this. I'm a pool person - these also aren't great. There are three main pools at EDSS and a couple of others which are lazy rivers connected to swim up suites. If you are in a swim up suite great you have a pool and two sunbeds, if you are not in a swim up suite the pools are small and you'll struggle to get a sun bed. What they call the main pool is also tiny! We stayed in the premium block which does actually have the biggest pool, but again unless you had a swim up room not much furniture to go round. The hotel really is centred around swim up rooms. Mostly the food was great however some was just OK, I never get ill however I had a dicky tummy the whole time, as did my partner and most the people we met which I wasn't expecting from a 5* hotel at all. Last summer in Cuba which isn't renowned for great food we were both fine. I have stayed in four star Riu hotels where the food has been just as good as the EDSS. There is a GI wine list which you have to ask for - again I didn't expect that at a 5* you would think it would be offered. There were quite a few broken palapa's which weren't fixed for the duration of our two week stay which again isn't five star standards. If you are on your honeymoon are celebrating an anniversary (you also get a time limit of within a month for anniversaries before or after which is very lenient) you qualify for lots of freebies such as free WIFI free couples massage, free meal on the beach, champagne in you room, romantic breakfast, room decorations. Many people were also given room upgrades which again is very nice. I emailed the hotel prior to arrival to ask for a room upgrade to a swim up suite (I was paying for this) to be told there weren't any - yet people were given this for free on the day at the same time of check in as us and also thereafter. If you are not on your honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary all of the above has to be paid for, which doesn't seem fair there is no parity in the way guests are treated. I almost was made to feel bad because I wasn't on my honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary. Other guests said the anniversary package was good so I really would recommend this hotel for honeymooners. At night the bar is outside there isn't an air conditioned place to sit and drink or relax which does make the evenings quite uncomfortable again not really 5*.

I almost feel bad making these negative remarks because I did enjoy my holiday however I do not feel the resort is 5* and my expectations were too high. I have stayed at hotels better than this for a much cheaper price elsewhere. The holiday cost 4,700 and wasn't worth that much - sorry!

6  Thank DizzyDucky11
EDSS S, Propietario at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2016

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We visited the EDSS in July and were extremely pleased with our choice. We had previously looked at booking this hotel two years previously and at the time decided to go to the Dominican Republic, which turned our to be great holiday so EDSS had a lot to "live up to", in many areas it surpassed our Dominican Republic holiday, although I must say I believe that the management are "missing a trick" when it comes to not having an indoor air conditioned bar (maybe that's part of the bigger plan once the new reception opens)?.
Overall fantastic holiday and would not hesitate to book again, should we decide to go to Mexico in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan190742

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
UNICO 20.87 Hotel Riviera Maya
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!