“We will be back. Fantastic Resort!”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Hubby and I went to El Dorado Seaside to celebrate our anniversary. It is a beautiful resort and we can’t say enough good things about our vacation. We stayed the week of Jan 13 to 21st in a swim-up room in block 36. We are pool-lounging folk so having the swim up room was well worth it.

The rooms are nice and clean. The Jacuzzi tub is fantastic! Don’t bother bringing bath salts because there is lovely foam bath waiting for you in your room. The bathrooms are great with a large walk-in shower, separate toilet, and double sinks. We didn’t have any of the toilet or water temperature problems mentioned in previous posts.

Food and drinks are delicious and plentiful. If you like frozen drinks try the El Dorado Special, it is not on the drink menus but it is delicious! Room service is fantastic and quick. We ordered room service a few times and waited less than 20 minutes each time before the food arrived.

The resort itself is beautifully maintained and there was always staff grooming the gardens and cleaning up. The beach is great. We had no problem walking on the sand. The kayaks are a blast especially on days where the waves are big.

Personal concierges. Do make a point of going to visit them. They have an unlimited supply of towels and helpful information for traveling around the resort.
We did not hear about any time share sales, nor were we solicited to attend a time share meeting.

The reason we give this resort only 4 instead of 5 stars is that there is a bit of room for improvement. We did not receive the anniversary package despite requesting it. Our travel agent made sure the resort was aware and our concierge was aware of it. This obviously did not make or break the vacation, but it was an advertized perk and we did not receive it. The BIG reason we give this resort 4 instead of 5 stars is that our camera was stolen out of our room the first time we left our room. We locked everything important (wallets, $$, travel documents) in our safe as soon as we were given our room, but we were too tired to unpack before going out for dinner. When we returned our camera, which was deep inside one of our bags, was missing. I didn’t even think to lock it up since it wasn’t that nice of a camera (3 year old digital camera) but it was much better than the Kodak disposable I paid $30us for in the gift shop. So make sure you not only lock up your valuables, but lock up crappy cameras too!

Despite having our camera stolen, it was a fantastic vacation. We will definitely be back. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic vacation.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lilythetiger
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (8,768)

Reviewed 4 February 2009

Beautiful property, gorgeous grounds, tons of staff to take care of your every need, great restaurants, beautiful room with a whirlpool tub and super comfortable bed, what's not to like? If you are a swim in the ocean person the beach is a little rocky so you might want to take some swim shoes; however, I didn't bring any and I was fine. The activities staff works overtime to provide a fun experience, lots of activities to choose from to suit every interest. Our favorite restaurant by far was the Italian restaurant. The drinks are great. They don't require tipping but we brought $50 in ones with us so that we could tip our favorite waiters, bartenders, etc. We also left a dollar or two for the maid every day and as a result I got all the diet coke I wanted! I highly recommend this property!

• Stayed: January 2009
4  Thank Tess G
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2016

Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at EDSS over New Year. We specifically wanted a relaxing holiday and were slightly apprehensive that, going at New Year, we would find the resort packed and noisy. The charm of this hotel is that it has such an intimate feel to it that even at peak time it feels uncrowded and your are well served by attentive staff.
The gourmet inclusive concept works really well, we were so impressed by the quality and variety of the food and by the ease of getting into our chosen restaurants. We only had at most a 20 minute wait (no hardship with a pager whilst at the bar) and that was when we wanted an outside table at the Italian restaurant .
The only area that this hotel disappoints is in the quality of the evening entertainment. It really was chronic, more like the offerings at an old peoples home! However, we didn't want party city and I suspect this is a cunning move by the hotel management to keep the party people at bay!
I would strongly recommend this hotel if you want the ease of all inclusive without sacrificing quality or intimacy.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sindy7

Reviewed 2 February 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Resort for the week of January 24 - January 31.

I have read all of the reviews since my trip was booked last November, 2008. I have to say that I am not sure why so many of the reviews were questionalble or bad. Our stay at this resort was the most relaxing and enjoyable stay that we have ever been to. The staff was fantastic and always there to make your stay confortable. The food was "out of this world". There was nothing to complain about there. The resort was beautiful. The grounds were kept spectacular and the flowers are beautiful. The beach was a little bit rough, but we were still able to enjoy a nice romantic walk along the edge in the moonligjt. All in all I would recomend this resort to anyone who wants to be pampered and spoiled. I know I was, and my husband and I would go back in a heart beat. My hat tips to the resort and their staff. This was a vacation to remember. Thanks. LLG44

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LLG44

Reviewed 1 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in June 2008. I have to admit I was a bit nervous after reading mixed reviews, but luckily I did not need to be. We had a lovely stay! The customer service was wonderful - they took care of everything and seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay was pleasant. We loved the beach beds and had no trouble getting one every day (we didn't have to get up a 7am to do this - as long as you're not too picky about where you are you can find a spot - even if you're not right on the biggest stretch of their beach, you're steps from the ocean anywhere you are). We found it very relaxing and didn't even have to get up for drinks, as their were always staff on the beach taking care of our orders. The food was great - I am a vegetarian and had no trouble finding nice selections at all of the restaurants. There were a couple of details that needed improvement in my opinion: first of all, my husband and I are non-smokers and sometimes it killed the environment on the beach when people around us were lighting up all day. I would suggest that the hotel designate at least a small area for non-smokers so we can enjoy the fresh ocean air without the second-hand smoke. Secondly, sometimes towels were not always available first thing in the morning on the beach and by the pool. Those are pretty small details compared the the overall good time we had. As long as people come with a relaxed mind, ready to rest and have fun, everything will be fine.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank beachtraveler10

Reviewed 31 January 2009

Before travelling to El dorado we viewed trip advisor and although on the whole the feedback was good there were some negative comments regarding the welcome, and the rooms. I can say in our opinion some of the negative comments were absolute rubbish. For couples who want to get away on a romantic holiday, this is the place. When we arrived we were greeted individually with a glass of chilled champagne, it wasn't Moet but who cares we were in the most beautiful place in the world - get a life! The staff are so friendly and helpful it's untrue. Nothing is too much trouble, the restaurants are all a-la carte with a full menu available. The food is great, our favourite restaurant was the Bistro which is at the front of the hotel reception, try the fish wrapped in a banana skin it's great. The lunchtime service is as good, I tried the lobster which I had to pay for but it was well worth it. If you don't feel like going out for breakfast, lunch or dinner order room service it's just as good and all in the the price. Every day it was good to come back to our room to see the fantastic towel art that our maid had done, it became a competition with the friends we made out there to see who had the best. The beach is good if you go to the far end of the complex, the beds really are as good as they appear in the brochure. A big shout needs to go out to Abdulio who tendered our needs at the swing bar, he was the mix master who never had anything but a smile on his face shouting his greeting "unomas!". Whilst we were out there we met some great people, if you're holidaying for the first time without your kids get this you can pick your own friends this time it's not up to them! A big hello to Jooles and Dan (the amazing shrinking man) Karee and Adam, Jo and Rich and Gerry and Bonnie from the states. If you plan to go out and explore don't fall for the $40 trip to Tulum from the holiday rep: theres a mini bus that goes from Tulum every 15 mins at the top of the road. It will cost you $4 on the bus and $5 to get in and you will meet real Mexicans. You can also use the bus service to visit Puerto Aventuras. The only negative I could think of is that re-furbishment of some of the apartments was taking place, the work didn't start before 9am and was finished before 6. One tip we would give is don't take only dollars, we took peso's which are better currency to tip with. If you pay for something in Dollars (everything is marked in pesos) you have to convert it to Dollars and then sterling to work out if you're being done! I'd suggest taking spends 50/50, you'll only need money for souveniers or trips out. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank unomasWarrington

Reviewed 30 January 2009

We honeymooned here in July 2008, I'm writing about it 7 months later because I still read negative reviews. My review is long, but it covers all of my initial concerns, plus tells you why the negative reviews are crap. If you would like to send me an email, please feel free. I know how hard it is to decide on a place, especially since I've never left the U.S. (Canada doesn't count). I've included some pictures to represent my comments.

Who are We?
We were both 25 at the time on our honeymoon. I wouldn't really recommend for others, especially singles. We both eat fast food occasionally, we love good burgers too, but if I go to a real fancy dinner, I really enjoy it. We're not rich, we're not poor. We hike, camp, ski, snowboard, and live simple lives, but we can enjoy the finer things in life. We are easy going people, and we appreciate everything for what it is, no unreal expectations (although we expected, and got, a lot from EDSS).

When we were researching this place, I had some legitimate concerns, such as the tap water, which I will discuss. We had friends staying a mile down at the next hotel, forget the name, but it's a mini city resort, so a brief comparison will follow.

Arrival:
Perfect. They take your bags and set them aside while you check in with your champagne. I saw that some didn't get their champagne. Who gives a s**t, you're in Mexico. (this will be a common phrase here). They drive you to your room and carry your bags upstairs or wherever you're staying. The driver pointed out everything to us on the way, some people were driven straight to there rooms. Again, who gives a s**t. The place is small, so to do a lap around the complex is literally 10 minutes.

Room:
Here is our only problem, we were supposed to be in the lowest level room they have, but we were delivered to an ocean view with 2 queen beds, we wanted a single king. NOOO!! 2 queens? how will we live?!? One night there and they changed us the next day. They took our bags for us and brought them to the new room, also an ocean view (you could see very little ocean, so I would just pay for the lowest level room and see what happens. If you want a swim up, go for it, they looked fine, but an unnecessary luxury for us). They are clean, large, and have everything you need, but you're in Mexico, why are you in the room? Jacuzzi was useless for us since we didn't want to sit in hot water on a hot day, but that's just us. Someone mentioned their floors were dirty, and while we prefer not to have our room cleaned every day, it wasn't, but every room we saw being cleaned was mopped. When our room was cleaned, it was immaculate, and all my clothes were folded and neatly organized.

Beach:
Yes, the beach is pretty much ground up coral, but it's not sharp, just coarse sand. There were always a couple free chairs, maybe had to do some dragging to get 2 next to eachother, and the beds were almost always unavailable on the main beach, but I grew up on the ocean, so I prefer a towel on the ground. Waiters come around rarely, but if you have to walk 3 seconds to the bar, I think you'll live. The water is great, warm and clear. It is very shallow even 25 yards out, but here's an idea, go out further. I can see why some say to bring water shoes, but if you borrow flippers to snorkel, no problem, and if you're not a pansy, your feet really won't get hurt if you're careful. There are sand bags, but they look like rocks from the beach, and they do serve a purpose. I saw a review that says not many fish, well this guy must have been looking from his balcony and didn't see any. There was a ton!!! I saw a Barracuda and got a bit freaked out, but I've never seen one, so it was great. Since I probably won't go back (been there, done that mentality) I'll let you in on a secret that clearly the EDSS haters don't know about because they're obviously lazy snobs who only care about themselves. Walk South about 10 minutes (yes there is some trash, but every beach in the world has trash if not cleaned up by someone. The EDSS beach is VERY CLEAN by the way) and there is a pristine beach with NO ONE on it! The water there has waves to ride and no rocks to step on.

Food:
We ate at each restaurant. Here's how to eat at EDSS:
Order an appetizer, entree, dessert for each person, and even for me, I ate a couple times a night because portions are small. One woman said her husband ordered spring rolls and got one cut in half. Exactly the point. This way food isn't wasted and/or you get to try a lot of different things. You want 10 spring rolls? order 10 spring rolls. I couldn't decide between 2 main courses one night, so the waiter suggested I get both, so the chef put 'em both on one plate. Both were excellent by the way. Plus, if it isn't good, just get something else too. We never had a wait (eating at around 9 or 10 for breakfast, 11 to 1 for lunch, and 6 or 7 for dinner). We had excellent service, and after a couple visits to our favorite places (Klay Talay, and by a couple, I mean 6 or 7 visits) we knew the waiters and they remembered our names, which was just an added bonus.
Didn't like the Italian, but I'm from CT, so I hold a high Italian standard, and we only ate there once. We ate there for our first meal and didn't understand how to eat at EDSS (didn't order much).
Mexican place-good
Arrecifes-great (best for breakfast)
Vida (correct name??)-weird, not really our style, but a couple good items.
Sandwicherie-great quick food or late night snack. MUST TRY the coconut crusted, fried burritos. I had about 10 of those.
Klay Talay-We ate here at least 6 times, it's great.
Italian place-see my comment above.
Fajita cart-It's a fajita cart, pretty standard, we didn't see it much because we were on the beach, but good.
24 hour room service-took about 45 minutes to 90 minutes, and the menu is limited. But if it's 2 a.m. and you've been drinking, that mediocre burger becomes a great burger.

I ate EVERYTHING, I loved it, some stuff was weird and I certainly didn't like everything, but I liked trying everything. I at least liked most things, loved many menu items. I tried ALL the RAW food, including sushi and beef carpaccio. Fresh, and no sickness.

Bars:
GREAT.
Top shelf liquor at this place. None of the crap the other resorts serve. Free.

EDSS Entertainment:
Kayaks are easy to use, and always available. Snorkels were rarely unavailable, and the snorkeling was great right at EDSS. The late night shows are hysterical. They have the same dance company come in and perform several days per week, and they really aren't that good, but it's REALLY entertaining, even the show that we just laughed at for an hour. The fire show was really good. What makes the nights great at EDSS is the fact that there is only one place where many people gather to party at night, sing karaoke, listen to live music, and watch the shows. You meet plenty people there, and it makes the place feel alive, unlike the resort down the beach, which seemed to be a ghost town at night, even if was 50 times larger.

Tips:
We tipped 2 bucks for breakfast and lunch, 4 or 5 bucks (American) at dinner. We saw many people not tip, and we didn't see waiters in disgust when not receiving one, and it didn't seem to help us in any way. We tipped because we're Americans, used to doing it, and the people there are AWESOME. EVERYONE says hola. We noticed that most tourists here are European, England more specifically, and I hear that they don't tip like we do. So I'd say do it to be nice, since the staff is very kind.

Tap Water:
A couple times here and there, mostly in the shower, I got some in my mouth. It's very salty, and they don't recommend you drink it. There is always fresh bottled water in your fridge, or you can simply ask for more. We used bottled for everything, including rinsing tooth brushes. The last thing we wanted was to get sick, and we didn't.

Things to Do:
There is a person to help schedule activities, forget the company name, but we did about 4 of them. There was one with zip lines, a cenote, rappelling, and Tulum ruins all in one. It was fun, and Tulum was pretty cool. Go swimming if you go to the Tulum ruins, you may not swim in a place like this again. Wave runners to snorkel at a reef. Fun, but we've never been on wave runners before. Snorkeling was great there. Chichen Itza, crowded, but totally worth it. Stop by a cenote on they way to swim for 45 minutes. This was really cool, and we still can't believe most people didn't swim. What's the point? You're on vacation, live a little. We were there in July, HOT! for all activities.
AVOID the horseback riding. I love a good horseback ride now and then through the mountains or scenic areas, but this was 50 people crammed onto a tiny trail that really doesn't go anywhere. At the end, you each can take turns going on a horse into the ocean, which was cool, but the horseback ride was just too lame for me to suggest it.

Playa del Carmen:
We took a cab with friends, $20 american each way. Plenty of shopping. They dropped us off at a mall like any other ritzy mall in the U.S. so we immediately left. Then you get to small shops that sell souvenirs, bargain at these, you'd be surprised how low they'll go below their asking price. Further along are nicer stores and restaurants, including cigar shops (everywhere) tequila stores (everywhere), souvenir shops, art galleries (some reasonably priced local art work) etc. etc.

Comparisons:
Our friends stayed a mile South of EDSS. We walked down there trying to find our friends, but this place was HUGE! The activities the resort held had only a few people there, and the bars were deserted. No chance in hell finding them. When they walked up to our resort (EDSS) they found us easily since it is so small (which is a GREAT thing). They were served top shelf drinks at EDSS opposed to wells at theirs. They didn't meet anyone at their resort, while we made several friends during our two weeks, and they even had a blast at the casino night at EDSS. Our friends came up for the fire show, and I'm pretty sure after visiting EDSS a couple times, our friends were really jealous. I felt a little bad.

Overall, Excellent, I could keep going a find something else to write about, but I gotta go. Feel free to send an email with questions.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple

#1 of 479 in Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!