“Don't Believe the Hype”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Don't Believe the Hype”

Excerpted from below:

The reception clerk referred me to the concierge in the lobby to find an alternate resolution (all the while, I kept thinking, I just want a bed sheet).

The concierge asked, Is there something else we can do for you? How about a free meal?

I said, This is an all-inclusive resort. Why would I want a free meal? They’re already included.

He said, Then, a nice meal?

I thought, that’s funny. Isn’t this supposed to be a gourmet, all-inclusive? I dismissed the suggestion.

Please read on:

My girlfriend and I stayed at El Dorado Seaside Suites (part of Karisma Hotel & Resorts) in February and, we must regretfully confess, we wouldn’t go back. I had planned to post this review shortly after we returned, but I found myself going on at greater length than I anticipated and thought I would return to it at a later date for the purposes of editing it down. However, as I return to it now, I realize that reporting the full series of frustrations we endured is instrumental in conveying the extent of our dissatisfaction.

I think now, tellingly, the words of these next two sentences already seem outdated (as the negative reviews seem to be growing in number); I wrote them just after our return. Like so many visitors to the TripAdvisor website, we reviewed with enthusiasm all of the positive reviews before booking our trip. The positive reviews were so much more abundant than the negative ones that we felt we couldn’t be disappointed. Unfortunately, we were, and some of the reasons could easily have been avoided had the resort’s management and concierge services been responsive and effective at their jobs. In the end, the chronic nature of the problem and lack of a prompt and satisfactory resolution to it suggested to me that the problem goes far deeper than the behaviour of one or two people and made me question the integrity of the resort organization itself.

Let me first stress that I’m not referring to the staff in general. Most of the staff members (servers, hostesses, bartenders, gardeners, etc.) were great: warm, friendly and gracious; no complaints. In addition, generally speaking, the setting and layout of the resort were lovely and relaxing, although I would agree that the shoreline for half of the resort is as ugly as hell.

Nevertheless, the food was very inconsistent and most of it we would not classify as gourmet. We had one or two good meals. The best were at the Mexican restaurant; that was encouraging, since this was Mexico. However, we were disgusted by the Asian restaurant. The sushi was horrible and we believed the sushi was not made with the proper sushi-grade fish that it should.

Enough about the food though. The more troubling problems we experienced involved our room, a third-floor garden view room. I awoke the first morning to find myself lying on the bare mattress of the bed. That seemed kind of weird. What had happened to the sheet? I inspected the mattress and discovered that the bottom sheet didn't actually fit the mattress; it was too small, much too small. It was a king-size bed and the sheet definitely wasn't. Not only didn't it tuck under the mattress at the sides of the bed, it didn't even go over the foot of the mattress. It was about six inches shy of the end and, on the sides, it simply hung loosely, also not enough to tuck in. I thought it had felt funny to my toes when I climbed in the night before. I suspect that as I rolled over in the night, it just scootched itself up under my body each time so that by morning I was sleeping on the bare mattress. Not exactly hygienic either for the hotel or for me.

Not a big deal, easily fixed, we thought. So we visited the local concierge (there are ones near some of the buildings as well as a central one in the main lobby). The concierge knew exactly what we were talking about. He put his hand to his face and chuckled with exasperation. He said, And so you ended up in the morning lying on the bare mattress? Yup, I understand. You see, we purchased some new mattresses last year, but we ordered the wrong sheets. The sheets we bought were too small to fit. Fine, we said. For tonight, can we have the proper-sized sheet? He said he'd take care of it. My girlfriend tipped him accordingly. That night, we discovered they still hadn't given us a proper sheet and the next day I awoke on top of the bare mattress again. When we left the room, I proceeded to the concierge office near our building and showed the same concierge a photo of the sheet and mattress. I asked again, in an uncompromising tone, for a proper bed sheet. Thankfully, that night they provided us with one and I woke up the next day on top of the sheet and not the mattress. All was right.

Unfortunately, the next night it was back to a too-small-sheet again. So, on the third day when I woke up, I found myself on the bare mattress again. I picked up the phone to call the central concierge (we'd given up on the nearby concierge). I pressed the 'Concierge' button and discovered silence and then a beeping sound. I tried calling the reception desk. Same sound. I tried calling numerous times. The phone didn't work. This would mean that every time we wanted to speak to someone we would have to traipse across the sprawling resort to speak to the main concierge in person. To top it off, I noticed the room number identified on the phone was incorrect. It indicated a room somewhere else on the resort; I don’t think it was even in the same building. I couldn't help but think that had there been an emergency, and I couldn’t remember what room I was in, this wouldn't exactly be a safe situation. The phone wouldn't work and, even if it did, I would likely have directed them to the wrong room. Another issue....

Anyway, I went to speak to someone in the hotel lobby. I was directed to the concierge. He was less friendly, more officious, but quickly noted the problems, said he'd leave a message for the manager of housekeeping and get back to me. He didn't. I returned the next day and asked for an update. He said he was still looking into it. I left frustrated. I was thinking, how complicated is it to find a proper sheet to put on the bed?

Finally, with two days left in our stay, I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. I wasn't given the option to speak to him. Instead I was asked to explain to the clerk at the desk what the problem was. I did. She excused herself and slipped through the door behind her. She quickly returned and spread a map of the resort in front of me, saying, “We'll upgrade you to a swim-up room. This will satisfy all your needs,” and pointed to the new room. Huh? Satisfy all my needs? This encounter seemed a little strange. I would have been content with simply a proper sheet on my bed. Why the offer to upgrade us to another room?

We decided, with two days left, it was more of a hassle than a privilege as we would have to move all of our belongings to the new room two floors down. And besides, all we wanted was a proper sheet and an operational phone. How difficult is that to remedy? I kept thinking, we want a sheet. Why is this such a hassle? The only reason we felt the need for a phone was to request the sheet for gosh sakes. I returned to the lobby right away and turned down the upgrade and reiterated our request. At this point I was thinking I’m going to a lot of trouble for a proper sheet and a functioning phone. But, in a sense, I guess it really comes down to the principle of the thing. You pay a good chunk of money for your stay at a resort that claims to be five-star, or any-star for that matter; the least they can do is give you a proper bed sheet. Plus, once you start the complaint process, it's hard to stop until you receive a satisfactory resolution.

I said, This is an all-inclusive resort. Why would I want a free meal; they’re already included.

He said, Then a nice meal.

He suggested a nice bottle of wine.

I said, My girlfriend doesn’t really drink.

He said, A massage on the beach? Something else?

I said, We’d been thinking of taking a short trip into Playa del Carmen. How about covering the fare there and back (an established fare for the region of $40 return)?

He said he wasn’t sure and would have to have to get back to me.

Well, he never got back to us.

Finally, we went to speak to the Signature Vacations representative. We filled him in and he said he’d get back to us. I commented that we didn't have a functioning phone. He said, Well, I’ll try lo leave a message for you. Hopefully, you’ll get it. That night, I noticed a light blinking on the secondary phone in the washroom. There weren’t any buttons on this phone, so when I picked up the receiver, there was no way of retrieving any message.

We were preparing ourselves for dinner at the time, so we went out of our way to visit the resort lobby to try to retrieve the message. We thought it was probably from the Signature rep, but it also could have been an emergency call from back home. We didn’t know.

We went to the concierge in the lobby. He said he’d try to retrieve the message. He started pressing buttons on his phone and didn’t say anything. Then the phone rang and he started talking to someone, dealing with another problem. The calls kept coming in and he kept answering them while we sat there patiently. He seemed to have forgotten our problem. Finally, I spoke up, saying, Please just give us the message. Eventually, he admitted he couldn’t retrieve it. He said he’d have to contact the technical team because he couldn’t access the message without a code that he didn’t have. Needless to say, we were flabbergasted at this point. So we went to dinner as originally planned.

The next morning, we went to speak to the manager, this time insisting that it was the manager we wanted to speak to. He accepted our complaint and countered with, So, what do you want? His tone wasn't really apologetic; it was just dutiful, in an exhausted kind of way, like he goes through this kind of exchange everyday. He reiterated the same list of compensation-offerings as the concierge a couple of days earlier. They really ‘talk their book’. Suffice it to say that we asked for both a massage on the beach and a candlelight dinner on the beach. Both of these were fine, a good massage and a good meal (although, when they say "dinner on the beach", they actually put you in a canvas enclosure near a break wall without a view of the ocean and immediately adjacent to a series of other canvas pens containing several other couples; it wasn't exactly the romantic image we envisaged, nor what seemed to be portrayed in their promotional material). The meal would be classified (we felt) as gourmet. And it came from the kitchen of the Mexican restaurant, the same one where we’d had our one other good meal. I don’t think this was a coincidence. It was the only good restaurant at the resort. I wish all the meals at the resort had been of this quality. However, had it not been comped, there would have been an additional charge of (if I recall correctly) US$150 for this meal. Given the way the resort markets itself, this was the kind of food we had expected all-round with the fee for our trip, not as a special, surcharge meal.

In the end, what a hassle for a proper bed sheet that was never provided, an apparently chronic problem everyone appeared to be completely aware of ahead of time. Yup, here we go again, seemed to be the look on the faces of the management. In the end, we were both required to sign an agreement stating that we wouldn't make any further claim for compensation against the company. Ahh, so civilized, such personal treatment. We signed it begrudgingly.

What does this behaviour say about the resort and the broader umbrella organization that, rather than providing the most basic item one would expect at a hotel (a proper bed sheet), they ignored both the continued complaints and the unresolved problem that caused it? Even our simple request for compensation, reimbursement of a taxi-ride into town, was balked at. Instead, we were asked to accept in compensation something we neither asked for, nor really wanted, but accepted more out of a desire for management to feel the impact of our dissatisfaction. I don't believe they felt a thing. Needless to say, we would never go back and would discourage others from doing business with them also. There are so many other great resorts out there and, no doubt, ones that are much more worthy of your money and patronage.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aegeantime
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 29 December 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Best Regards,
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,269)
  • Polish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I recently spent seven days at the El Dorado Seaside Suites. From the time of arrival to our sad departure, the experience was one of the most gratifying and memorable I can recall in my lifetime. The resort is beautiful and the staff works every day to make sure every detail of your stay is handled with white glove service. The resort management coordinated our transportation to and from the airport that prevented from what I have heard can be a very hectic trip. We arrived at the resort and the check-in, luggage transfer and escort to our room went like clockwork. We were registered, in our room and in the pool within 30 minutes.
Our seven day stay was filled with pleasent, enjoyable, and royal treatment. Everyone on the El Dorado team from management to the groundskeepers were friendly and genuinely interested in ensuring our stay was everything we expected . . . and they succeeded. The food was extrodinare, the resort gorgeous, the service exceptional, and the amenities exactly what we needed to unwind, rest, and re-invigorate our lives. We will definitely schedule another week in paradise soon.

1 Thank busczar
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Prenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I've waited a while to post this review as I had an ongoing dispute with our tour operator (Thomsons - TUI) I'm pleased to say this is now resolved to both parties satisfaction.

I think I have mentioned in previous reviews that I am fortunate to have stayed in many hotel through business and pleasure, El Dorado Seaside suites rates amongst the best. Our stay wasn't without the odd glitch so the review below hopefully gives people a honest overview of our experience.

The hotel itself is about 80 minutes south of Cancun in a beautiful but isolated location. That isn;t an issue if you want tranquility but if you like to walk out of your hotel onto a row of shops this hotel is not for you. That said Playa Del Carmen is close by (taxi ride)and said to be great for shopping.

As our tour operators coach pulled off the main road into the hotels drive the sense of tranquility hits you straight away, the long 'avenue' down to the hotel is through a peaceful woodland area (many describe it as jungle - it's not my idea of how a jnugle would look ). As the coach pulls up outside smartly uniformed staff are waiting to greet you and you are invited to take a seat in the lobby and offered a glass fo sparling wine or water if you prefer. We knew immediately this was going to be the right location for our honeymoon.

Check in - This went smoothly, the resort is all inclusive though not a wrist band in sight I'm pleased to say, the hotel do take a swipe of a credit card so you can charge extras like shop items (more on that later) or internet or spa massages etc. Once the formalities are completed we were taken on a short golf buggy ride through the beautiful gardens to our room.

Room. The rooms are all referred to as Suites all have a double jacuzzi bath in the bedroom in addition to the spacious shower just off the main room, this area has a large mirror and 'his and hers' wash hand basins. The room was spacious with a large comfortable bed, marble floors and sliding patio/balcony doors. All are air conditioned with a remote control. Large flat screen TV and DVD unit (the hotel has a small DVD library - (remember if travelling from the UK the DVD' players are a differnt region to ours). Each room has a daily replinshed mini bar - If you are a beer drinker you may think they have only left you water and coke, the beer cans are similar in colour to coke cans. The shower room area was supplied with amazing amounts of shampoo, body wash etc in large bottles as opposed to the tiny things you normally see in hotels.

Be slightly careful if you book an 'ocean view' or 'ocean front' Jacuzzi suite, I took our tour operator to task over these brochure descriptions. All of the suites (with the exception of the honeymoon suites) from what i saw had beautiful gardens between them and the sea. The gardens were Coconut tree filled and I suspect when they were first planted were not that high the current height means the canaopy of leaves is right in from on the first floor windows completely obscuring the view. We had to ask for a room move and were offered a ground floor suite from which we could just see the beach, I wouldn't class either options as real ocean view but bthe rooms themselves are fantastic. Another and more expensive option is the lazy river suites. These looked great and had 'pool bars' at the end of them but these are behind the ocean front/view rooms and are probalby less private than the others, that said they got more of the sun on them too, loungers were semi submersed on each individual patio area, looked nice, the only down side I saw or rather heard was the bars did tend to attract a few rather 'loud guests'.

Restaurants; Beautiful food from the 6 (I think) restaurants. Some report them having busy times but when we went occupancy was around 60% so we had no problem just walking in and being seated in seconds. Every restaurant offered you anti-bacterial hand gel before you entered it - a great and thoughtful touch in my view.
Some of the restaurants were themed, Asian fusion, Mexican & Italian amongst others. From our perspective the food was awesome, the choice was pretty good but menu's weren't huge, I can understand some people who were there for two weeks saying they felt it could do with a change - for our week here the choices were great. A word of warning though, if you are exepcting huge plates full of food or the sort of people who prefer chicken n chips, scampi n chips or plain steak, this resort is not for you, if you like a fine dining experience then i think you will enjoy.
A couple of the restaurants offer outdoor dining, the one next to the beach bar/entertainment area seemed to be the main breakfast area and it and the adjoining restaurant seemed to be the only ones offering a buffet service. From these you could get Pizza or a burger during the day.

Bars: All of the bars offered a wide range of drinks, a lot of the spirits were major brands. The bar by the beach offered a fantastic range of cocktails in a great environment, swing seats at the bar, some of the cocktails were served in the freshly harvested coconuts. Tea and coffee were instantly available too. Bar staff were excellent and your glass never seemed to be empty.

Room service, very limited menu and the once we tried it (our first night on arrival) I felt it was average at best but it arrived swiflty, politely and hot.

The beach area; I've noticed this has come in for mixed reviews. The areas nearer reception and the beach bar are not just fine sand there is a lot of shingle mixed with it and in the beautiful clear water which you ideally need some sort of footwear for BUT as you walked 50 yards or more down the beach this cleared to beautiful golden sands. The beach has amazing four poster beach beds on top of the traditional loungers, we were on the beach daily and never once had a problem getting both options, this may have been to the relatively low occupancy though. Uniformed staff (Lucy when we were there) would readily and regularly bring you your favourite drink as you lay back catching the sun. The beach staff also offer accompanied snorkelling trips onto the reef about 100 yards off shore, an amazing experience. The sea itself is crystal clear, you can walk out at least 50 yards and still only be waist deep and have angel and clown fish swimming around you. Staff also offer canoes. There are no motorized water sports here but the staff will arrange them for you at a cost if you ask.

Evening Entertainment; We didn't bother with this as it isn't our thing, the entertainment staff were fantastic though getting everyone involved when the world cup was on, we had a real laugh with them irrelevent of which team was playing!

Shop: I think this is leased out, this was a bizarre experience, items didn;t appear to have prices on them and depending on who served you the prices would change beyond all recognition, if you are with Thomsons/First Choice Meredith and Pablo (who are fantastic) will happily bring things in from you and charge you a much lower and 'true' market price.

The grounds, beautiful, well manicured peaceful too. Watch out for the resident Iguana's basking in the sun (their homes are all signed).

Staff: Out of this world, amazing service everywhere, polite, efficient they genuinely want you to have a great time and do not hanker after tips. That said I understand these guys and lasses work for 'buttons' in comparison to the wages most guests would earn. The odd dollar here or there is really appreciated but you aren;t treated differently if you don't tip.

Resort ambience: Chilled out i would say, heavenly, NO Children allowed, No noisy disco's, no traffic noise unless you count the hum from the odd passing golf buggy lol.

We had the most amazing time here, so why the dispute with Thomson? Well we had a couple of glitches, they offered a 'honeymoon promotional package' which you paid extra for and bits of this were missing, despite asking daily for this to be rectified and despite Meredith & Pablo's best efforts it was never totally fulfilled. Biggest gripe was we had a hot water issue mid holiday. For three days we had no hot water so cold showers day and night. It seems the resort heavily relies on solar power for heating and as we were here in the rainy season the solar panels were not as effective as they should be however i was informed they had mains heating too, they just seemed reticient to switch it on. Our first day there too we had the room view issue and similar to others have mentioned the room did have a slight musty smell to it, we were offered a great identical sized and quality room and as I said earlier we got our 'sea view'.

The test of how good a hotel is to me is would I go back again? Without doubt we would go back tomorrow if we could and we will go back probably next year (despite the cold shower issue).

Would I recommend it, without doubt but remember if you want 'benidorm style' food/full english breakfasts, children, loud music and equally loud bars and to be shopping everyday this is not the place for you. If on the other hand you want a degree of luxury with tranquility thrown in and exceptional service this is the place for you. We only went for a week, big mistake on our part given the travel time from the UK but without doubt the perfect honeymoon for us.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew S
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Totally amazing hotel, whilst myself and my wife were there we only found others who agreed with us and no body could believe there were so many negative reviews on here. Also the couple who got robbed (a couple of reviews before this one) letf their key in their room , while this is still bad it's not like you have to worry about your items when your out of the room, so long as they are in the safe your fine.

In fact our maid didn't even take the tip we left out for her on a couple of occasions until I wrote "gracias" on paper and placed the tip on top. I also left a bag in our room after we switched rooms (a/conditioning broke) and got the bag returned once I spoke to our consierge so it's not like they're all out to rob you....

Food was top class and some of the nicest I've ever had although I do agree the vida can be hit and miss. Sandwicharie is open air but we nor anybody else we spoke to ever had a problem with bird poo but obviously it will happen to someone at sometime. Dress code for days is very relaxed in the evening men must wear knee length shorts or jeans and a shirt but smart leather flip flops are fine. One restaurant's air con was iffy but that didn't stop us going because the food was so good.

Main bar was quite liveley on most nights and all the shows (bar one) and bands were good. Nothing was too much trouble for the bar staff and if you wanted branded spirits you just had to ask, they were all clearly displayed in every bar.

We always stayed by the activity pool and there was no problem getting a bed as late as 11 or 12 there was a shortage of sun loungers but people just carried them from the beach (1 min away) if they wanted one that bad. Towells sometimes ran out but would be restocked once clean ones were ready, the pool was also extremely clean. Everyone there seemed to be on honeymoon and the pool bar was a great place to make friends.

We met plenty of Americans and Brits and got on well with them all, although the Americans spoke a bit loud they were all mainly from Texas and atoms there so they are not the obnoxious types, my opionion of Americans has actually changed for the better as a result of our stay.

The beach is really nice and although in parts the sand is only a foot or so deep what do you expect on parts where it's man made? The natural parts were as you would expext anywhere else and the sea was the clearest I've ever seen, you could clearly see the fish without getting under water even!

Sandbags are a little unsightly but they are what keeps the swimming part so clear and calm, also there were hardly any in comparison to the amount of sea and beach available.

The room is more of a 4 star, only because it's built in a traditional style although this still includes 2 sinks a massive shower and hot tub. In our second room the water wasn't as hot as we wouldve liked but that is my only complaint, well our second maid was quite poor at towel art but maybe she was new. Again this is a minor thing.

The food , atmosphere, staff and service totally make up for any small issues you might have with anything else, I must mention Brenda the restarurant host who remembered our names straight away and was genuinely happy to see us every day. Hery the devil batman who makes you drink tequilla and is generally amazing with his tom cruise cocktails skills and Daniel, tanya and tanya the entertainment staff who were great fun and also great to talk to, we are both missing them all ;-)

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Jakespleen

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

myself and my partner stayed here for 2 weeks and in this time we had £500 stolen from the safe. The maids and the security are working as a team and its your word against theres . The hotel manager offererd us no appology what so ever just avoided us at all cost very poor customer service allround.There was also a Ipod stolen and a pair of sandels stolen in the time we was here so if you are to stay here stay sharp .And if you dont like birds pooing on your breakfast or dinner dont eat at the main bar sandwitch area also the beach is ruined by the big dirty black sand bags very very poor hotel if you have stopped at 5 star hotels before you will no this only rates as a 4 star there is better places to stay than this . STAY SHARP THEY WILL ROB YOU!

6 Thank NOTTS72

Best Regards,
adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
northants
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I stayed at the eldorado seaside suits at the end of July for 11 days and I thought it was a wonderful place to spend my honeymoon (the husband thought so too!) I simply can not understand the negative reviews posted, all I can say is they either had really bad luck or find fault with everything.

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty, all members of staff were polite and the service was always excellent, the grounds are well maintained and our swim up room was clean and well presented. The pools are wonderful and kept exceptionally clean, I often witnessed staff doing routine water checks to ensure the quality. There were always plenty of towels for the room and the beach. The swim up bar was excellent and I loved lunging in the shallow part of the pool outside my room.

The food although not always to my personal taste was fresh, had good ingredients and was beautifully presented. We particularly enjoyed Klay Talay (the Asian restaurant) the sushi was lovely. There were regular beach BBQ’s and the breakfast and lunch options were good. The bar staff were always great and made some excellent cocktails.

The beach is really nice, the sandbags are not an issue at all and although the sand is course in places I didn’t find it a problem and happily went barefoot on the beach and in the water. The water is warm and there are tons of fish to see when using the free snorkelling equipment. On one of the days the barracuda came close to shore and circled around everyone (a bit scary!) There are also daily snorkel tours where you are taken out in groups further out to sea. We never had a problem with beach beds, no matter what time of day it was there were always some available and there are bar staff walking up and down the beach getting you drinks throughout the day. The spa people do ask you if you would like a massage but they leave you alone if you say no so it wasn’t a problem.

Whilst in Mexico we went to Tulum to see the Myan ruins and although it was interesting it was a particularly hot day so it was a little uncomfortable walking around as there were no shaded areas. We also went to Xel Ha (the natural water park and aquarium) which is mainly for snorkelling and diving. We went on the sea trek while we were at Xel ha and saw and touched sting rays. We also swam with dolphins and went on a jungle speed boat tour in Cancun, all excellent days out. We also got a taxi into playa Del Carmen but the shops were a little tacky and the touts were constantly trying to get you to buy, apparently it’s a different place at night and is worth a look.

The entertainment in the evenings was a pleasant surprise, we went practically every night (the entertainment is situated outside the Asian restaurant) we saw a jacko tribute act which was excellent, a magician who was very funny and the tricks were amazing and there was also a Mexican band, circus show, Mayan show and various other dance acts, all worth a look.

If I was being extremely picky then there were a few things I could find fault with, one being that our room did have a slight damp smell to it (probably due to its proximity to the pool and the humidity in Mexico) however the linen, towels, curtains etc all smelt fresh and clean. We didn’t get any towel art for the first 4 days but when we mentioned it to our concierge we were told we would get a special treat to make up for it, after dinner that night we arrived back to our room to find a huge swan towel art display and a Jacuzzi full of bubbles and petals with tea lights, from then on we had towel art everyday after cleaning and every evening with the turn down service. We also found that personally we didn’t think much to the restaurant ‘Vida’ the food although fresh was not at all to our taste and it was difficult to decipher the menu, try ordering dessert and you will find out! We ordered ‘a thousand leaves with bread fruit’? lets just say it was a very strange tasting pastry thing!

I could continue to rave about the place but a lot has already been posted in many other reviews. Overall the Eldorado seaside suites are definitely worth a visit and could not disagree more with the negative reviews, some people do like to moan! During our stay we met many other honeymoon couples, couples on their anniversary and many other people both from the states and from England and they all loved the place, we would definitely go back.

1 Thank haylesNorthants

Falls Church, VA
Reviewed 4 August 2010

After staying at a very similarly styled resort in Cabo San Lucas 2 years ago (Sheraton Hacienda del Mar), I can't help but compare my experience at the El Dorado with my experience there. To put it out there point blank, I prefer the Hacienda over the El Dorado. Not to say that I didn't like my stay at the El Dorado, each has it's pros and cons but I like the west coast style better I think. I'd love to be able to find a spot that had the pros of each resort in one place.

As for the review, the service, which in my opinion is the best feature of the El Dorado, was exceptional. And service generally got better after tipping the staff a couple dollars when warranted. My wife and I had upgraded to a honeymoon suite after two nights there that had it's own personal pool which was next to a section of beach, but hidden by a fence wall of coral and palms. Since it wasn't on the normal beach service beat, the beach waitress for that area (Estellah) would climb over and through the obstacles in order to keep my wife and I flush with alcohol and food. Her service is more or less a good litmus test for the rest of service we recieved the entire week of our stay. She, and other staff members, quickly knew us by name and were always welcoming, pleased to see us and very accomodating. But there is always one rotten apple, in this case though it didn't spoil the bunch. Fernando, in reception - the very first person we met there - was not very happy to see us or accomodating.

The grounds were very nicely groomed and kept - I don't have many complaints here. At any moment there had to have been a dozen or so staff members tending to the resort apperance and landscaping.

For me the location was great, a little far from the airport but not that bad. I prefer resorts not in the middle of it all when on a vacation for relaxation. The El Dorado had it's own spot carved out on the coast which wasn't encroached upon by other resorts or tourist attractions.

We did have a problem with the first room we had checked into, it was a second story room above the swim-up first story rooms. As soon as you broke the threshold you were hit with a stong musty smell and an apparent dampness. The moisture in the room was evident when getting into bed as the sheets were just the slightest bit damp. This remained after two days before we moved into a honeymoon suite. On the second day I started to develop a cough with head and chest congestion which I 100% attribute to the poor air quality in the first room. I suffer from allergies in the first place and I certainly beleive I inhaled mold or mildew spores from that room. I would have rated the rooms lower than 3 points had we not moved but the honeymoon was very nicely appointed. It seemed to have newer amenities and materials used in construction, did not have any musty smell or dampness, and made the week more special being in a nicer/bigger room. And as I mentioned before - had it's own personal pool (which was shared with the other 2 honeymoon suites) but we had it to ourselves for the remainder of our stay.

The food was great - certainly had our fill daily. I recommend trying all resturants throughout your stay and then use one night to go to all of them. Have a different course in each to change the flow of the week a bit. Top shelf liquor is included in your all inclusive price so be sure to ask for your preference in your cocktails.

I enjoyed the beach as well even if there are sand bags - they don't bother me too much. Just be aware that the sand is really crushed coral so is not entirely too comfortable underfoot. Bring your snorkel gear or use the resort's as there is great snorkeling right off the beach. Water was inviting and warm.

The spa was not up to my standards - it felt to me like I was getting a massage in someones apartment. If I had to do it again, I would sign up for an outdoor massage so I wouldn't have to been inside. It felt old and kind of like it was put in there as an afterthought. In other words, the building that the spa is in does not feel like it was purpose built.

Although I did enjoy my stay there, I feel like there are better places out there. Maybe it was because we got off on the worng foot (it was raining when we arrived, Fernando was not welcoming, and our first room was a disappointment) but I wasn't wowed by the place from start to finish.

2 Thank SixTenWRV

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,565 reviews

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!