“Delightful Stay...Romantic...and great food...”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Massapequa Park, New York
“Delightful Stay...Romantic...and great food...”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

As always I like to contribute to Tripadvisor because it's helped me through the years pick great places to stay...Seaside Suites is no exception. I read all the reviews and I too wanted to give some solid feedback about my experience. So here goes:

1. I would highly recommend booking airport & excursion transportation in Mexico through Lomas Travel. The service was great. Highly organized and prompt. Trip to & from the airport was seamless. We even had a van all to ourselves upon our departure. Made for a quick trip.

2. Upon arriving at EDSS we truly were greeted with smiles, a cool towel & champagne. We arrived early around 2pm & our room wasn't ready (I think that's the norm because we saw other couples the other days around the same time in their jeans - a clear indication they hadn't settled in yet).

No big deal...we had a lovely lunch outside at the Sandwicheria (Great Lunch Selection).

3. Our room was exactly what we expected based on the reviews. Spacious. Extremely clean. Super comfortable bed & pillows. And large jacuzzi tub.

4. The location of our room was on the 38-40 block near the Pool Bar and it was loud. Could have been the people there, or just the acoustics. But if you are looking for a quiet area that is not a place to stay because it can be loud.

5. The overall resort is impeccably kept. The landscaping is beautiful, you never see an area not being managed, it's really quite impressive.

6. Food: Regardless of what people may say, I for one consider myself a foodie. I enjoy quality food & can recognize when it's done to appear gourmet but not necessarily so. EDSS did deliver on the gourmet spectrum...SOMETIMES! Overall the dishes were very delicious, sometimes they fell a little short on the flavoring. And sometimes the presentation was more fancy than the actual meal.

I would recommend the following restaurants by cuisine: International, Asian, Mexican & Italian. The only one that I wasn't too thrilled with was Vida Garden Grill. Didn't like the breakfast or the lunch (outside of what our special server Super Dadio made for us - a steak taco which was amazing). But overall you will NOT be disappointed with the food.

7. The Beach - I would have to disagree with the "you need shoes to walk on the beach" comments. Yeah it's not powder white fine sand, but it's not rocky by any means. Yes there are coral embedded in the sand here & there...but not to the point where you need water shoes. This is a complete exaggeration. However...once inside the water it's a different story.

Please keep in mind that yes the water is a reef...it's protected by sand bags (BUT aren't as obtrusive as most say, looks like large reef rocks)...there are tons of little nano reefs everywhere, and it's extremely shallow. You can walk out 30-40 feet and not hit over 3 feet of water.

Advice: Stick to the far right side of the beach...past the gazebo...the water is a little deeper there, you have great little reef formations with wonderful coral & life (smaller wildlife). Don't attempt to snorkel right by where you first enter the beach near the snorkel/scuba center. The water is only but a foot deep and it's really hard on your feet.

Keep in mind there are sea urchins hidden in those small coral reefs and if you step on them they are poisonous. Hense why I'm saying to stay away from the shallow area of the water.

8. Execution - This is where EDSS lacked. I wanted to surprise my honey with a surprise birthday dinner on the beach. I booked it ahead of time about a month prior to our trip, my rep Laura was extremely helpful, we confirmed the plans, upon my arrival I met with her and she confirmed everything, it was ALL written down in the system (down to the detail of when we came into the lobby we would take a ride around the property to confuse him as to where we were going to maintain the surprise element. She came up with that idea and I thought it was great)....

NOW what was supposed to happen was NOT what really happened. I found that when it came to the actual execution of special plans made for people the staff is completely clueless and no one seems to communicate amongst themselves or take the time to read the notes for arrangements.

As a wedding planner & someone who travels alot, the instructions weren't complicated, I was given a time to show up for the sunset dinner on the beach BY EDSS and when I got there I was told that it was an hour later because that's when the chef starts serving. I expected the simple things to just be followed.

Then we were asked 2x's what we were having for dinner...this was a prix fixe menu that EDSS asked me to select from (doesn't the staff know what the resort offers). And prior to actually sitting down we were taken to a gazebo when I confirmed not but the day before that it was set up for the beach.

I get the feeling that although the resort pays special attention to detail when it comes to food, grounds, super friendly service, entertainment & cleanliness...that their focus on Special Activities that you can PAY extra for and have them set up for you is completely & utterly lacking.

And the kicker...EDSS asked me if I wanted a small cake with Happy Birthday written on the plate instead of dessert...I said SURE...they offered...and they didn't deliver on something they asked to provide for me! {shrug}

Their communication between staff is broken and non-existent it seemed. All they had to do was read the notes and not send us on a wild goose chase...especially when it was supposed to be a surprise (And they knew that so they assured me it would be seamless)...So needless to say the surprise was ruined.

I wouldn't have been so upset had it not been for a special occasion & a surprise & having to pay extra for it.

So a bit of advice: DON'T book their special activities or their special dinners, or their couple special arrangements...their execution is shotty and you might not get what you are looking for....Stick to the basics of an all inclusive resort.

9. Tip well - everyone there appreciates it. Tip your housekeeper 1st day you are there {no issues with sticky fingers}...And they deserve it, they work extremely hard. The drinks & varieties are amazing (COCO LOCO's are AMAZING)...

10. Overall, this was a wonderful resort. Very romantic. Nice boutique hotel, I would recommend it, and had a great time with my boyfriend AND with another couple that we met there.

You won't be disappointed. Just be aware of it's slight short comings...I knew about them going in (outside of the special dinner situation)...and I wasn't upset or disappointed. We had a wonderful time!

3 Thank Laura C
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,356)
  • Polish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We managed to get to the first Dorado Facility by the Playa Express for Cancun, very pricey but please do keep an eye on your luggage just in case (people were very nice, but one is always alert hey?¡¡¡), and I say the first, because we first mistaken our destination. Yet Hotel staff were ultra-friendly and gave us our first icey bubbles to start the trip.
Upon arrival at El Dorado Seaside we enjoyed finding a spacious room and shower, plus great just right air condition. After a little rest, and a visit to the Spa (dont miss it), delicious a la carte dinner at Arrecifes Restaurant and drinks in the Bar (Guacamayas?), and so on and so fort every day: you must treat yourself with Vida Grill or with the Italian Mia Casa Restaurant (They had a variety of Risotto and Baileys Ice Cream¡¡¡ my personal favs).
This Hotel is perfect for newly weds, for couples in general; downturn maybe that it is away from Playa, and maybe not that near from other interesting sites like Tulum, but maybe that is exactly it: its made for relax, for you and your loved one, any other time you can go elsewhere. It was so for us (well, upon check out we did manage to visit Tulum).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 December 2016

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 February 2011

My fiance and I just got home after days at EDSS and I could not wait to write a review. This place was amazing! Lomas Travel provided transportation from the airport. Our driver on the way to the resort even stopped at the 7-11 to get us beer for the ride. It is about 1 hour 20 minute ride from airport, but we had fun learning Spanish and teaching the driver English. We taught him "Get R Done" and he taught us "Estoy barrachos" (I am drinking). Perfect way to start the trip!

When we arrived, we were immediately seated and given a glass of champagne. The check-in process was quick, and before we knew it we were in our room! We had booked a beachfront suite, and we were in block 28. Perfect location to everything. We changed into clean clothes and wandered off in search of dinner, but had a little difficulty getting our bearings since we arrived after sunset. We had our first meal in Arricefes. We weren't used to the concept of long meals with several courses, and small portions, and that first night we became a little crabby with the wait. But we were hungry and tired. We were ready for an early night, and couldn't have been happier with the bed! It was dreamy! The room was gorgeous and kept very clean. We had nightly turn down service, and the maids left us with creative towel animals every evening.

The food was amazing! You can order as many items as you want. For breakfast we usually ate at the continental breakfast offered at the Sandwicherie. We did eat at La Vida twice for breakfast and I highly recommend this! Super Dario took care of us both time and recommended very appetizing meals for me. Erik at Mia Casa was impeccable. Every restaurant was wonderful, not a bad meal. Only slightly negative comment is that the soups are all "pureed" but still tast wonderful.

The bars were great, mostly stuck to the bar by the Sandwicherie. You could sit on a swing that were located around the bar, or on comfortable seats. Luis took good care of us. The drinks were plentiful. Coco Locos is dangerous! My favorite was Love Poison. Mudslide was tasty as well.

The nightly entertainment was actually entertaining. We loved the Michael Jackson show, and the fireshow on the beach was spectacular. They did a Perfect Couples game with 3 couples on Valentine's Day which was highly entertaining, especially popping balloons between their bodies in various positions! It's definitely not the hopping party nightlife, which was fine by me. I was getting up early and felt that by 11pm I was spent.

The beach was beautiful. I like the fact that the lush greenery comes right up to the sand. It's not a big beach and I know some people have commented about this but to me it was perfect. The sand was fine to walk on in barefeet. The fish do swarm about you when you enter the water because they are spoiled! They love it was you give them bread or cereal (even Fruit Loops), and we saw them devour mashed banana! The seagulls would fly above your head and you could toss bits of bread into the air and they would catch it. Just like dogs! and of course the pelicans who liked to hang out close to shore. Because the guests would feed the fishies and they would remain in shallow water, it made it easy for the pelicans to feed. There are numerous beach beds on the resort, but most we claimed by 7am (even though you are not supposed to put towels on beds before 7am - this rule was not enforced). I am an early riser so it wasn't much of a problem.

We did one excursion and that was to Chichen Itza. It was a 2 hour drive, but we stopped at a lovely cenote for a swim, then lunch, then off to see the ruins. It was a lovely day and our tour guide Alphonse was incredicly knowledgable. We throughly enjoyed our excursion even though it took us away from the resort all day!

Our conceirge Fernando was incredibly helpful. He was there to assist you with anything! We did listen to the Exotic Traveller's Club presentation with Johnny, the talented guy from Michigan who works at the resort! After much discussion, we decided to join, and we are eager to plan our next trip back! We travel a lot and plan to make 2 trips a year to Karisma properties so it made a lot of sense for us. Even if you don't join, you are given a complimentary gift as their way of saying thanks ( couples massage, or lobster dinner).

This place felt like a home away from home, except there are no maids or chefs or bartenders waiting in my house when I returned!

2 Thank DrLeslieBee

ontario
Reviewed 16 February 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the EDSS in January, and had a wonderful, relaxing, vacation with service "above and beyond". The food was great and interesting; the rooms were immaculate upon arrival and kept that way through the entire week; the bed was very comfortable; the pools clean and plentiful; the beach was not the greatest, but fine for taking a stroll; the grounds were lush and well-kept. I could go on and on. The only thing we regret is not booking a second week! I'm surprised I didn't trip over my bottom lip while boarding the bus to leave the resort.

Advice: Do have the fish and chips via room service. Don't expect a raucous nightlife - but do expect lots of opportunity for good conversation around the bars and we felt that the entertainment (live bands, fire show, etc) was perfect. Oh yes! My hubby had a hard time prying the hotel-supplied bathrobe off of me when we were leaving.....so so comfy.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We never thought we would be the couple that would write a negative review as we are relatively easy going and rarely complain. We travelled to El Dorado Seaside with another couple as gift for our 40th birthdays and an anniversary. This review is a little lengthy but well worth the read prior to making a decision to stay here. I would not want anyone to have to waste their holiday dealing with management problems as we did.

Arrival/Rooms:

A flight delay pushed our arrival to the hotel to 3:00am. Once there we were greeted with the standard welcome which was short lived. We had booked two “Ocean View “rooms but were told they only had one at that time. Due to the time we went off to our rooms to find both had two double beds, we originally booked one king. The one room that was to be ocean view had only a view of palm trees and buildings.
That morning after a short sleep we returned to the front desk and were told there will be no “Ocean View” rooms and no upgrades are available. We were given two rooms in another building but would not be available until 2pm. I walked over to look at the rooms, found them to be unoccupied and the maid cleaning them. After a couple more return visits we finally received a key and the moved our luggage in. (Room #1611 and #1811) Day two was now almost over. The hotel provided a two hundred US dollar credit to be used at the resort and promised to deliver a letter we could take back to our travel agent regarding the downgrade we received. The letter was never delivered and we returned on three different occasions before finally having what seemed to be a form letter printed off while we waited.

Room #1611 was good, nice layout with separate bathroom, shower, and living area and in room Jacuzzi. The view was off the roof of another building and a busy pathway. My suggestion is that a second storey room is better for privacy but try to stay away from pathways that snake between buildings. After looking at other buildings and views this hotel offers no ocean view rooms what so ever. You can partially see the ocean from an “Ocean Front” room but it is still limited. Do not waste your money on an ocean view room.

Dinning:

The food was excellent; service at all the restaurants was great. No issues what so ever. The staff was friendly and courteous and the selection was great. We had little to no wait time. The a la carte meals were small but expected as it is fine dinning. If you are a bigger eater you might want to order an extra entrée.

Pool/Beach:

Two pools, one with some music activities another that is quiet for relaxing or reading. Both offered nearby bars for drink service. There are always plenty of chairs and lounge cabanas which were very comfortable. The cabanas were scattered around the pool, beach, landscaped area and were a very nice addition.

The beach itself was a little to desire but in our case we prefer to sit by the pool. The beach was narrow, and large black sandbags stretched out into the ocean to save what little beach was left.
Management / Departure:

This was the deciding factor in writing this review. We used our $200.00 credit on a dinner, massage and in room decoration for our spouses. The package was sold to us while at the pool one day by an employee soliciting guests at a cost of $290.00. The dinner and the massage went fine but upon return to our room we found it as we left it. No champagne, the Jacuzzi was not filled, no flowers. A call to the manager was made but the time had passed and we were not going to wait to have them come at 10:00 pm.
The next morning the couple we were travelling with spoke with concierge at which point they advised there would be no additional charge for the service and our $200.00 credit would suffice for both couples. She apologized for the problem and agreed the service we were to pay for was not provided as advertised.
Prior to check out we were again advised by our tour representative that our flight was delayed and we would not be picked up until 7:15 pm. We asked our tour representative for a late check out due the lost first night and the down grade in room. The man smiled told us “no problem, you can stay in your room until 6:00 pm” There was no mention of any charge only that it was a courtesy due to the events of the first evening. Upon check out the clerk told us we were billed $10.00 per person per hour past 3:00 pm and that we also owed an additional $90.00 to cover the dinner/massage package. After approximately 30 minutes and speaking to two different employees we requested to speak with a manger. A manger by the name of ‘Catarina’ came and the explanation of events again was explained. At this point it was well aware to me that at no point does anyone communicate issues with one another at this resort. Catarina advised me that if the dinner/massage balance of $90.00 was not paid, she would take it from the employee’s salary. She then left, returned to tell me that the employee was advised and was “crying” over the possibility of the lost wages that would equal three moths pay. I was shocked and upset that she even told us this. After almost an hour she cleared the charge and left without a word.
Over the approximately 4 hours we spent in and out of the lobby trying to have different issues resolved we heard many other people either being advised there room was not available or ready and they to would be offered a “credit”. It seems management overbooks and is unable to handle the issues that arise from this. We did not get our “Ocean View”, alright we can move, multiple time consuming follow ups for a form letter, no problem we final got one, the hotel sales pitch for dinner/massage etc., not fulfilled, alright…..For $90.00 they left us with a very bad taste in our mouth upon departure.
I fell badly for the staff if the policy is to deduct or withhold pay for mistakes that occur at the resort. Surely Karisma Resorts and Hotels bottom line can afford to pay for problems that occur on their properties.

4 Thank Mitter71
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 29 December 2016
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Best Regards,
Suffolk, UK
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Just spent an amazing week at EDSS. (Not sure we were at the same hotel as Osbournes from Wales review below!!!) The hotel was lovely, understated and not showy but beautiful and extremely well kept and cleaned.

The cocktail bars were fab and the restaurants served wonderful food, breakfast being my favourite - try the cinnamon french toast cube and the smoked salmon omlette! The Bar-b-q on the beach served lovely lunches and a blissful place to eat . All of the staff from the gardeners, bell boys, maids, bar staff, entertainment, waiters and conseigers (bad spelling!) were lovely - I didnt come across anyone who couldn't wait to help you out or be politer if they tried. It genuinely seemed that they were placed there to serve your every need and they enjoyed doing it too.

We found that not a single person expected any tips and felt that on the occasions when we didn't tip we still received the most amazing service I have experienced on holiday. Having said that we did tip the beach waiters and the evening restaurant waiters and the maid daily.

Our room was perfect, no upgrades just the "norm" junior suite with jacuzzi - most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in on holiday, yes it was high but that just added to the fabulousness of it all. The room was cleaned to a very high standard every day and the maids turned down the beds at night and put towel sculptures on the end most days. Having said our room was fab, next door had water pouring through their walls when it rained neighbours moved out and 12hrs later hotel tried moving new holiday-makers in who experienced the same problems when it rained again the following night much to the utter "amazement" of the hotel staff - to us it was laughable to them I'm not so sure!

The hotel beach was not the idylic caribean beach I was hoping for for the first 5 minutes only, you spot the sandbags straight away which are obviously put in place to preserve the sand on the beach from the hurrican weather, but once you lay on a beach bed and look around you realise that the birds, including the pelicans wouldn't have anywhere to settle on if they weren't there and you forget that yes they are ugly sandbags and they disappear from sight. The snorkling was good but because it was so shallow and rocky you need to protect your knees! But the sealife you see there is amazing - a big barraccuda quite happily swims about most of the day, rays, octupus and loads of different fish, especially if you feed them bread they swarm around you.

We went on a half day trip via the Thompson Rep, Pablo, snorkling in a cave and then onto snorkling with turtles - which was (again perhaps an overused word in my review) amazing. Thanks to Marlon for being such a great guide.

We would go back in a heartbeat - but need to convince extended family to have our kids again first!!!

4 Thank trich99

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Me and my partner have just returned from our amazing trip to El Dorado seaside Suites. Well what can i say! The service and food are first class and the hotel grounds are stunning. We stayed in a swim up jacuzzi suite which was fantastic. The room was cleaned everyday and the mini bar was always well stocked with beer and refreshing drinks. The resturants were also first class and we were never left waiting for a table. The staff were always smiling and provided fantastic customer care. I have been on many holidays and i can honestly say that this one tops them all.. We are definately going back next year.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gina028

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
UNICO 20.87 Hotel Riviera Maya
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!