But there are just a few things that made this vacation a four.
This is our second time at this resort and we experienced almost everything people have complained about. First off, when we arrived in our room late the first night, the Air Conditioner was broken. The next day we spoke to the concierge and it was fixed within 3 hours. The next day there was a terrible smell (rotten eggs) coming from the drain in our shower. We spoke to the concierge again and that too was fixed within a few hours. These things can happen anywhere and they really weren’t a big deal - they were fixed so quickly it really didn’t affect our trip negatively at all.
The major disappointments came at the end of the trip when the hotel was at capacity. This is when things started to fall apart a bit. Wait times at restaurants went way up! We waited at our table for a waiter for over 20 minutes one morning at Arricifes and waited over an hour and a half for a table at Vida one night. We would have never waited that long, but the hostess couldn’t tell us how long the wait would be and by the time we had waited for over 50 minutes we thought we were surely next. THEN once we were seated they were sold out of 3 of the 6 entrees on the menu. We ordered anyway and my husband received the smallest portion I have ever seen (much smaller than their usual small portions). It was literally maybe 2oz of chicken resting on ¼ of a piece of corn on the cob. We ended up going back to our room hungry and ordering room service.
The day we left was also a bit disappointing. We checked out at noon and were scheduled to leave the resort at 4pm. This gave us 4 more hours to enjoy the resort and we were told we could have a hospitality suite (if one was available) at 3pm to shower before leaving to catch our flight. At 3pm we returned to the front desk where they were rather rude about providing a suite. “Of course you cannot have a suite!” and we were told to go shower at the spa as if having a hospitality suite were something we made up. This was a bit rude, considering we were told to return at 3 to see if there was one available. OK, still not that big of a deal. So we go to the spa and my husband and I have to shower in separate change rooms, which is a bit of a problem since we only carried one set of toiletries. The biggest issue with this is that there is nowhere to lock up your stuff while you are in the shower. At this point we had all of our money, camera, passports, and credit cards with us as we were leaving and we were not comfortable leaving these things unattended since we had our camera stolen in 2009 when we were at this resort.
The things that make this hotel a five:
- the staff really are fantastic
- The rooms are beautiful and comfortable
- The food is delicious! Small portions, yes. But if you order an appetizer and a main you will be full (aforementioned experience excluded)
- The beach is beautiful and filled with fish! It’s lovely to walk out and have a school of angle fish swimming about your feet. The beach is not very good for swimming - very shallow and lots of coral. We never had a problem finding somewhere to lounge about on the beach
- The toiletries in the room are nice. Here is what is included (so you know what to bring): Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Body Lotion, Bar Soap, Q-Tips and Cotton Balls, Shower Cap, and a Shoe Polisher.
- The drinks are delicious.
- The grounds are beautiful!
So, all in all we had a fabulous time with a few glitches. I would have loved to give this place five stars, but a few disappointments made this a solid four.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Seaside Hotel
- El Dorado Seaside Suites Mexico
- El Dorado Resort Spa
- Hotel El Dorado Seaside
- El Dorado Seaside Resort
- El Dorado Spa
- El Dorado Seaside Mexico
- Eldorado Seaside Suites
- Eldorado Resort
- El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya Mexico - Puerto Aventuras