“I would have loved to give this place a five….”

El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Winnipeg, MB
“I would have loved to give this place a five….”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

But there are just a few things that made this vacation a four.
This is our second time at this resort and we experienced almost everything people have complained about. First off, when we arrived in our room late the first night, the Air Conditioner was broken. The next day we spoke to the concierge and it was fixed within 3 hours. The next day there was a terrible smell (rotten eggs) coming from the drain in our shower. We spoke to the concierge again and that too was fixed within a few hours. These things can happen anywhere and they really weren’t a big deal - they were fixed so quickly it really didn’t affect our trip negatively at all.
The major disappointments came at the end of the trip when the hotel was at capacity. This is when things started to fall apart a bit. Wait times at restaurants went way up! We waited at our table for a waiter for over 20 minutes one morning at Arricifes and waited over an hour and a half for a table at Vida one night. We would have never waited that long, but the hostess couldn’t tell us how long the wait would be and by the time we had waited for over 50 minutes we thought we were surely next. THEN once we were seated they were sold out of 3 of the 6 entrees on the menu. We ordered anyway and my husband received the smallest portion I have ever seen (much smaller than their usual small portions). It was literally maybe 2oz of chicken resting on ¼ of a piece of corn on the cob. We ended up going back to our room hungry and ordering room service.
The day we left was also a bit disappointing. We checked out at noon and were scheduled to leave the resort at 4pm. This gave us 4 more hours to enjoy the resort and we were told we could have a hospitality suite (if one was available) at 3pm to shower before leaving to catch our flight. At 3pm we returned to the front desk where they were rather rude about providing a suite. “Of course you cannot have a suite!” and we were told to go shower at the spa as if having a hospitality suite were something we made up. This was a bit rude, considering we were told to return at 3 to see if there was one available. OK, still not that big of a deal. So we go to the spa and my husband and I have to shower in separate change rooms, which is a bit of a problem since we only carried one set of toiletries. The biggest issue with this is that there is nowhere to lock up your stuff while you are in the shower. At this point we had all of our money, camera, passports, and credit cards with us as we were leaving and we were not comfortable leaving these things unattended since we had our camera stolen in 2009 when we were at this resort.
The things that make this hotel a five:
- the staff really are fantastic
- The rooms are beautiful and comfortable
- The food is delicious! Small portions, yes. But if you order an appetizer and a main you will be full (aforementioned experience excluded)
- The beach is beautiful and filled with fish! It’s lovely to walk out and have a school of angle fish swimming about your feet. The beach is not very good for swimming - very shallow and lots of coral. We never had a problem finding somewhere to lounge about on the beach
- The toiletries in the room are nice. Here is what is included (so you know what to bring): Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Body Lotion, Bar Soap, Q-Tips and Cotton Balls, Shower Cap, and a Shoe Polisher.
- The drinks are delicious.
- The grounds are beautiful!
So, all in all we had a fabulous time with a few glitches. I would have loved to give this place five stars, but a few disappointments made this a solid four.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 28 December 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We also value your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Best regards,

aduerre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Sensimar Seaside Suites & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,299)
  • Polish first
philadelphia
Reviewed 8 March 2011

To make a long story short, I will just give you the facts. First night at the hotel, we had an electrical fire in our room. What caused the electrical fire? We were told by the manager that the air conditioner was new and the card was bad and malfunctioned and sent refrigerant into our room while we were sleeping and short circuited the electrical appliance and panel in our room causing our room to fill up with smoke and set the fire alarm off. They moved us from a swim-up suite to a( what they call) a beachfront suite that is really a muddy garden view suite. Since the hotel was at capacity that was all they had. At first, they wanted us to pay for the upgraded room (do you believe this). Then they said that we didn't have to pay, but had to sign a paper for the hotel's records for the room switch. I DID NOT DO THIS. After the hotel spoke with my travel agent, the manager said that since it was the hotel's fault, they would give us a candlelight dinner but if we took it, we would have to sign a paper stating that the hotel gave us something. I DID NOT TAKE THE DINNER! The hotel also told our travel agent that they gave us things that we didn't receive, and some of the things that they say that they gave us, I have paid receipts for that WE PAID for them. Long and short of this disaster vacation. DO NOT STAY AT EL DORADO SEASIDE SUITES! This is not a reputable resort in my opinion and the treat you like you did something wrong when all along we were the victims. I guess since we didn't sign the papers and just shut up about the incident, they would of treated us better. Oh FYI: if you do stay here, make sure you tip well or you will have to wait hours to get seated at lunch and dinner. The hostesses at the restaurants take $20.00 tips to seat you first so you don't have to get a beeper and wait your turn.Especially at the Sandwichere on the beach.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank javajitters
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we want to assure you that all your comments are welcomed and a key part of the improvement of our resort. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced any inconvenience during your stay, we are a 5 star rated resort so we are disheartened to hear your recent stay was not reflecting it.

We would like to invite you to contact our Head of Customer Services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can review your feedback together and to assure you this is not the standard of our hotel, we will be glad to host you again in our hotel or any resort by Karisma to surpass any past experience.

Best Regards,
adurre@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Martlesham Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Just back from another 2 week stay in paradise!!! This was our second visit and we hadn’t thought things could be improved...but they had been...more cabanas, soft seating by the spa bar and a great new gym. As returning guests we arrived to a bottle of champagne and fruit in our room and were also given T shirts and spa toiletries...a nice touch.

Looking at things in more detail, I thought I’d start with the resorts greatest asset...the staff! With only 1 exception (which I’ll mention later) the staff were just amazing...no matter what time of day you got greeted with a smile and ‘hola’. We only ever tip at the end of our holiday but that made no difference to how we were treated. From the cleaners to the bar staff, gardeners to waiters - everyone worked hard but always with a smile. Special thanks to the day staff at the spa bar...especially Lucy (who kept us supplied with drinks and damp towels on the beach) and T...sorry I can’t spell his name but he was wonderful too. Within 2 days the manager of Arecifes had remembered our names and greeted us every morning with a lovely smile. Also a mention for Omar our cleaner...a true master of towel art...something different almost every day – loved the dog and the rhino!

Then there’s the food...just amazing! Yes, the portions are sometimes on the small side but you can always order more...to be honest they were more than big enough for us as they were nearly all so rich. Our favourites had to be Arecifes for breakfast, the Sandwicherie for lunch and probably the Vida Garden for evenings (although that is closely followed by the Italian and the Mexican). We only had one meal that was not quite to our taste and realising that we weren’t eating it all, the waiter immediately offered to get us something else. Drinks too were first class – we had fun trying out all the different cocktails – just so many to choose from!! I did enjoy having the Coco Loco in a coconut...great fun!

The resort itself is gorgeous...everything had grown so much in the 2 years since we were last there, its even more lush now. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we could just about see the sea through the trees...last time we had a clear view but I’m not complaining because I just loved the gardens. There was nothing else we needed in the room...the Jacuzzi, double shower, large wardrobes, dvd player etc meant we had all the facilities we could have wanted. We had no problems with the air con or water pressure and I just loved the toiletries they provide.

Yes, there are sandbags on the beach but to be honest we hardly noticed them after the first day...they have certainly weathered in from our last visit and anyway it was fun watching all the birds perching on them. I have never seen a beach with so many sunbeds...there must have been at least 2 per guest! Yes, some of the cabanas were reserved early...I can never sleep late so used to get up and lay on the bed to watch the sun rise as did a fair few other people – but even late in the day we saw some that were empty. I’m sure when people complain they couldn’t get a bed what they really mean is that they couldn’t get exactly what they wanted where they wanted it...they certainly couldn’t have failed to find one!

I can’t say too much about the entertainment as to be honest most nights we were too tired to stay up that late!!! Must mention the Fire Show though – if you get a chance to see it, don’t miss it...fantastic!

So were there any negatives? How picky do you want me to be? An occasional change of music in the bars would be nice, get rid of the very irritating charge for WiFi...even budget hotels in the UK don’t charge for it! We had one bad experience with a waiter who was obviously put out when we asked for 4 at the table...we then had to ask for every single thing we wanted – it was annoying, unprofessional and definitely the longest meal we had but a very minor hiccup in the great scheme of things! The only other occasional bad point was the behaviour of other guests and the hotel can’t be held responsible for that! Twice we were woken up by people coming back to their rooms late and obviously a little the worse for wear but in the main people were sensitive to others retiring before them. Some guests also thought they had a divine right to be served before anyone else...but the bar staff were very good about noticing the order in which people arrived at the bar...waving dollar bills didn’t help at all!!!

We’ve stayed in top hotels around the world including others which claim to be First Class all inclusive...EDSS knocks the spots off any of them....can’t wait to go back...already looking at booking for next year!

7 Thank Lizbef
EDSS S, Gerente at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 December 2016

Herts, ENGLAND
Reviewed 8 March 2011

My husband and I have just come back from 2 weeks at the EDSS. We have had a fantastic holiday and are definitely considering going back again. We were there for 2 weeks, but it felt more like 4 weeks as we totally switched off and the place is ideal for intense relaxation.

ARRIVAL : We flew in with First Choice/Thomson. The flight was okay. Going through customs didn’t take too long and it was easy to find the First Choice rep at the airport. The coach journey from the airport to the resort was long and boring though and I certainly regretted not having booked private transfers (we actually booked a taxi on the way back as I couldn’t face the long coach journey!)
On arrival at the resort, we were greeted with a cool face cloth and a very much needed glass of sparkling wine. Within 15 minutes of arriving at the resort, we were shown to our room.

ROOM : We had booked a standard junior suite, and ended up in a garden and sea view room, which was great! The room was clean, spacious and the views were wonderful. We were not overlooked and were at what seemed to be the quiet end of the resort (block 17) Moreover, seeing and hearing the sea was a bonus!
The bed was very comfortable, but I didn’t rate the pillows that much. They were changed halfway through our holidays, just when the “old” ones were getting moulded to our heads…
We were on the ground floor, so could easily hear the people upstairs. For the first 10 days of our holiday, we had very respectful neighbours and we hardly heard any noises…but on day 11, we got a couple who thought it was necessary to walk around the bedroom in shoes (what sounded like heavy/high heels) all the time! It doesn’t matter so much during the day or when you are ready to go out but in the early hours of the morning, it was very annoying. I wished the hotel management would put a note in the upstairs room asking people to be respectful of the guests downstairs…

BEACH: I did read the reviews before we went and saw all the comments about the sandbags. All I can say is that they don’t look great when you first see them, but after a day or two of being there, I can honestly say I couldn’t see them anymore! We spent all of our time at the quiet end of the beach (right hand side of the beach), and the spectacle that the pelicans and other birds put on for you is just so great that the sandbags totally disappear out of your vision!

BREAKFAST: We always had breakfast at the Vida Grill. Didn’t think I would enjoy a-la-carte breakfast, but I so did! The food was fantastic, so was the choice and the staff are so flexible that you can order pretty much every you want. I didn’t find the service too long. We were normally served within 10-15 minutes of getting there.
Watch out for Jorge and David who are very nice guys and thoroughly deserve the tips they get. To me, breakfast was the best meal of the day.

LUNCH: This was my biggest disappointment. If you don’t want to do a-la-carte lunches (which we didn’t), your only 2 options are the Sandwicherie (which serve burgers, crispy fried burritos, etc) and the Beach BBQ (where one dish is cooked each day). I didn’t really like the food at the Beach BBQ (it was virtually the same pasta or rice dish every day…), but this is just a question of taste. I did enjoy the food at the Sandwicherie, but if you don’t get there early enough, then you have to wait for quite a while at the bar (You’re not given a beeper, so you have to stay there…) I believe that there is enough space for them to add a few more tables, which certainly would allow them to serve more people at the same time. I think the resort and the guests would all benefit from this.
We did try Arrecifes for lunch once, but I felt uncomfortable going there after a morning spent on the beach… I did wear a kaftan and shoes, but still felt uncomfortable.

DINNER: We tried every single restaurant… and ended up with 2 favourites: Vida Grill and Mia Casa. The food was excellent in both restaurants and the menus were exciting and varied. We were lucky enough to try the new menus during our holiday (they change the menus twice a year) and wished we could have stayed longer to sample more dishes!
Yes, the portions are small, but if you order a starter, a soup and a mains, you may not even have room for dessert! I am a big dessert lover, and only managed it on a couple of occasions!
Again, exceptional staff at both restaurants (Rene and Gaspar at Mia Casa and Virginio and Luis at Vida Grill)
The Thai/Asian restaurant was a disappointment. The food wasn’t that great and the service was very slow…It took ages to get something to eat…
Oh, on the dress code, I have to admit that it was disappointing to see that some people totally ignored it. To me, going to a nice a-la-carte restaurant in just a t-shirt, surfer shorts and flip flops, is not quite right…I wish the staff would actually be more forceful about it…

BARS: Our favourite bar was Los Corretos, near the Spa. It was a quiet bar and Lorenzo is simply the best bartender ever. He knows what you drink, doesn’t mind making you drinks that aren’t on any of the menus and is genuinely a very nice guy.
We didn’t really like the main bar near the Sandwicherie as this is where the main “action” is in the evening, and it is not really our scene…

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT: I am afraid that we didn’t really see any of the shows. They start at 21.45, by which time, we were too sleepy! (plenty of sunshine, alcohol and good food!) There was something on every evening though, so ideal for those who don’t like to go to bed early.

TRIPS: We did the Coba Mayan Village tour which was great. I thoroughly enjoyed Coba, even though it was quite hot when we got there. It took a while for us to adjust to the humidity levels. It is an amazing place though, well worth seeing. The Mayan village visit was interesting, but a bit too "touristy" for me. We also popped to a cenotes, but to be honest, by that time (4pm), all I wanted to do was go back to the resort as it had been a long day. I would recommend Coba though.

We like small, quiet resorts where you can spend all day relaxing on the beach, and dress up in the evening for a couple of drinks and a nice meal, and this is exactly what this resort is about. We definitely will go back there again.

5 Thank SLR&SLR

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Just got back from a week at EDSS, and the resort is beautiful.
We were in a 2nd floor ocean front room, and having the balcony with the screen open was great to hear the sounds of the ocean.
The beach here is one of the best in the area, it is a smaller resort so you don't feel like your fighting to get space. The al la carte dinning is great no large buffets and the meals at each restaurant are truly gourmet. The Italian one is without a doubt a favorite and has a excellent wine selection as well.
Drink service on the beach is outstanding as always!
I look forward to a return trip in the fall!

1 Thank spddemn

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2011

The resort was recommended by our travel agent and it exceeded our expectations in all areas - fantastic gourmet dining, beautiful beaches, smaller resort with that personal touch from all the staff, quiet and did not feel crowded, did not have to wait to get a seat in the dining room, very romantic setting and I could say more but it would be all good. To choose this resort for an adult couple who want to spend some quality time with each other is a "no brainer".

Snowshoe, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Just returned fron EDSSS after a 1o night stay, We have been traveling to Mexico & Carribean for 27 years and have seen the best and the worst, this resort ranks with the best, The grounds are beautiful, the staff is friendly (perhaps its my $2.00 bill tips). The restaurants are very pretty and well staffed. On the subject of food I was not impressed with the "Gourmet Experience". often times the menu had nothing you could recognize and you had to take a wild shot at your meal which wasn't always to your liking. The portions were "VERY" small which maybe is not a bad thing. The resort does not have a dinner buffet which I think would be very helpful, We went to Cozumel one day and arrived back at the hotel quite late and very tired and it would have been great to go to a buffet for a bite then up to your room and crash instead if you wanted to eat you had to change clothes and go to your "Gourmet" restaurant. When we arrived we were told at the orientation that the dress code would be strictly enforced, "Wrong", we seen people served in flip flops t-shirts and beach shorts. We have always enjoyed "Spas" together but this resort will not allow men and women to use a common steam room or sauna, this is the first time after many resorts I have ever seen that, each gender had a seperate spa. Ther is no free internet, Internet is available for $10.00 per half hour. Our two "conceirge" girls "Claudia and Elissa" were very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help.
It may appear that I am critical of this resort but many people think this is a very nice place and I agree but I would like to see some of the above mentioned things dealt with. I would have no problem going back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

While we are thrilled to hear that our resort ranks amongst the best you have visited in Mexico, it brings us great disappointment to hear that you did not enjoy our Gourmet cuisine at the El Dorado Seaside Suites.

Our cuisine has become our trademark. Responsible for our cuisine is a culinary mastermind that manages a dedicated team of star chefs trained at some of the finest Michelin and Zagat rated restaurants around the world. A short description explains each dish and our wait staff are on hand to suggest recommendations and assist you with your food choices.

In addition to our fine dining restaurants, 24 hour room service is available should our guests wish a more relaxed, in room dining experience or arrive back to the resort from a day of adventure.

On behalf of El Dorado Seaside Suites, we'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Sensimar Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!