We really enjoyed our stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya. The grounds were beautiful and our privileged suite was the nicest room we've stayed in on a beach vacation (we typically stay at 3 to 4 star resorts). We traveled with our 3 and 4 year old boys and having the extra room for them to sleep in was very nice and certainly worth the extra money.
We found the food to be pretty good, especially for this price point, although the buffets were a bit repetitive and we were somewhat tired of the same foods by the end of our week stay. The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly (other than one night at the Creperie where the service was dreadful). We ate at the Japanese restaurant and we enjoyed it but thought it was a bit over-hyped. We ate at the Italian restaurant and didn't have high expectations after reading mixed reviews; however, we all really liked our food, even the boys. The grouper was excellent and my husband liked his chicken dish a lot. We also went to the Tapas restaurant and we both liked our main dishes but didn't really care for the tapas/appetizers. That's ok though as it gave us an excuse to go the Creperie, which served excellent dessert crepes and ice cream dishes. The ice cream tasted homemade, with the vanilla being VERY good.
We liked the kids club and they had various fun crafts and activities for the kids. Tania and Myra both reacted well with the kids but our 3 year old could only use the club as long as my husband or I were there. The staff also worked some of the nighttime events such as pinata time and the mini disco, which the boys really liked. We didn't spend much time around the pools but the animation team seemed to be very good at getting people involved without being too pushy. We liked the Mexican theme night and the beach party night.
The beach was pretty but, as mentioned in other reviews, was quite rocky. We brought our beach shoes and were fine. The lagoon area was nice but there were some jellyfish, although their sting wasn't very bad. It felt almost like a scratch and didn't sting for long so that was some relief. Snorkeling was just average but the area over by the stepping stones is pretty cool as you can see the fish without even getting in the water. We saw a few colorful fish and some sort of eel but not too much else. We enjoyed kayaking and the Hobie Cat and we also enjoyed taking walks into town to see the Marina and dolphin area.
I recommend taking a trip to Akumal Beach if you want to get in some really great snorkeling and swim with the turtles. We also checked out Xcaret - it was an expensive excursion but the boys really liked seeing the different animals and sea life and we enjoyed the evening show.
Check-in and check-out was a bit slow even though they weren't very busy at those times. The wait wasn't horrendous but the guy who checked us in (who also checked us out) was not very efficient.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Mexico - Puerto Aventuras