“Catalonia Riviera Maya - Spring break with the kids”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya. The grounds were beautiful and our privileged suite was the nicest room we've stayed in on a beach vacation (we typically stay at 3 to 4 star resorts). We traveled with our 3 and 4 year old boys and having the extra room for them to sleep in was very nice and certainly worth the extra money.

We found the food to be pretty good, especially for this price point, although the buffets were a bit repetitive and we were somewhat tired of the same foods by the end of our week stay. The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly (other than one night at the Creperie where the service was dreadful). We ate at the Japanese restaurant and we enjoyed it but thought it was a bit over-hyped. We ate at the Italian restaurant and didn't have high expectations after reading mixed reviews; however, we all really liked our food, even the boys. The grouper was excellent and my husband liked his chicken dish a lot. We also went to the Tapas restaurant and we both liked our main dishes but didn't really care for the tapas/appetizers. That's ok though as it gave us an excuse to go the Creperie, which served excellent dessert crepes and ice cream dishes. The ice cream tasted homemade, with the vanilla being VERY good.

We liked the kids club and they had various fun crafts and activities for the kids. Tania and Myra both reacted well with the kids but our 3 year old could only use the club as long as my husband or I were there. The staff also worked some of the nighttime events such as pinata time and the mini disco, which the boys really liked. We didn't spend much time around the pools but the animation team seemed to be very good at getting people involved without being too pushy. We liked the Mexican theme night and the beach party night.

The beach was pretty but, as mentioned in other reviews, was quite rocky. We brought our beach shoes and were fine. The lagoon area was nice but there were some jellyfish, although their sting wasn't very bad. It felt almost like a scratch and didn't sting for long so that was some relief. Snorkeling was just average but the area over by the stepping stones is pretty cool as you can see the fish without even getting in the water. We saw a few colorful fish and some sort of eel but not too much else. We enjoyed kayaking and the Hobie Cat and we also enjoyed taking walks into town to see the Marina and dolphin area.

I recommend taking a trip to Akumal Beach if you want to get in some really great snorkeling and swim with the turtles. We also checked out Xcaret - it was an expensive excursion but the boys really liked seeing the different animals and sea life and we enjoyed the evening show.

Check-in and check-out was a bit slow even though they weren't very busy at those times. The wait wasn't horrendous but the guy who checked us in (who also checked us out) was not very efficient.

Room Tip: We chose a privileged suite and would definitely recommend for families. We stayed in room 8310 and...
1  Thank Cragun3075
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,737)

Reviewed 9 April 2012

The Catalonia Riviera Maya was a very nice, clean resort with great entertainment, but not so great food. You need vouchers to eat a la carte, and after a long wait the food was disappointing. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was great, the beach was cleaned and beautiful, many fish by the shore. The upgrade on the room is a must in order to have bottled water, soda and beers, and a safe.

Not too many Americans, but met lots of great CANADIANS. My friend and I always found a place to lay at the pool or beach. The evening shows were hilarious. The buffet restaurant needs improvement and variety of food and taste. The food was bland and definitely not authentic mexican. Overall, I would come back, hopefully with new chefs. The japanese restaurant was the best. It is a family friendly resort, with many family pools. I had a good experience overall.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Islandgrl99

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have traveled the world and I have been to Mexico 5 times. I have never complained and I am not an unreasonable person. I absolutely hate this resort! I am still here and I am trying to make the best of my last three days, however, if I could, I would leave right now! Let's start with the service, or lack thereof! Our shower was broken and it took 2 days of yelling and complaining to finally get it fixed. An excuse of "sorry, we are busy" is unacceptable! I am a guest who overpaid to stay here! I deserve to have a working shower! We were not the only ones. Three others we spoke with had the same problem. We heard even more complaints, worse than ours. One family with two small kids shared ONE bed! FOUR people slept on a full size bed, for 2 days!!! The excuse, "we have no more beds". I can continue with a very long list of complaints. I would like to emphasize, however, that the problem is not so much that things were broken or missing, but they were not rectifying the problem and were annoyed that you complained about not having a shower, a bed, or electricity in the room(for some)!!! The staff is very unfriendly, which I have NEVER experienced in Mexico before! The food is horrible!!! I expect crappy food in all-inclusives, but the food here is barely edible! Stick to the fresh fruit and cereal if you choose to ignore my warning! Entertainment for kids is mediocre. The pool is fine, but you have to wake up very early to reserve your lounge chairs and pray no one steals your towels or umbrella! Last but not least, get used to not having cold water in your room, as there are no refrigerators! This wouldn't be a problem, had this been a two star hotel! I expected a refrigerator in a four star hotel! The fact that there's no iron, doesn't bother me as much! So, if you don't mind being ignored, being inconvenienced, eating horrible food, and receiving the worst possible service, then this place is for you! I would suggest a RIU for all others. They have never disappointed me!

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank MPallaroundtheworld
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Ola! My family and I just got back from 8 days of awesomeness! I would like to start off by telling you that like everyone else, I was sceptical on not only travelling to Mexico but also staying at this resort...I've never once felt like mine or my family's safety was at all in jeopardy! Very friendly people, awesome culture! The resort itself is exellent as well, It take's about 45 mins. from the Cancun airport and cost $72 us. The resort doesn't have a shuttle so you will need to make your own arrangements if you already don't have it included in a package deal with you travel arrangements. I booked through Travelosity and so, I was fine with making my own arrangemnets for transfers. I pre-upgraded my room to the priveleged suites and it was great for my family of 4. my wife and I travelled with my daughters ages 4,6 and found CRM(Catalonia Riveira Maya) to be exellent for kids there age. The kids club was awesome for them and very safe. My wife and I would put them in the club at 10am and pull them out at noon for some swimming and lunch. We would bring them back around 1:30pm until 5:00pm and this broke it up nicely for them and us to mingle around the resort with the other guests. The swim up bars are the perfect place to meet other guests from different countries, and they were just as friendly when you got tiquila in them...lol! My family and I were down there during thier holy week(Easter) so there were a few locals staying there which in my openion made for a more exciting time. I managed to entertain them with my poor randition of mexican spanish and they were friendly enough to go along with it :) The food at the Ala carte's were great in my wife and childrens opinion. They didn't open until 6pm and for me after sitting out in the sun all day "sipping'' the awesome drinks by the pool bar kinda drains you by then...needless to say, I didn't make it to the ala cartes. The buffets were fine, there was enough to choose from between my fussy girls and what they had to offer. They never went hunger thats for sure! The staff is very helpful at accomodating to even the weirdest of requests, All my 4 year old wanted was Peanut butter, and the hotel didn't have any due to allergy reasons i suppose. One of the wait staff in the resturant went on a mission and managed to come back with a jar full that they use for the craperie. She even gave the jar to my daughter and the way her eyes lit up was priceless! I handed her a nice tip for that amazing gesture. Tipping isn't by no means pushed or forced, I tipped fairly freely, but it was also because of the great sevice! There were other days that i didn't, due to the fact I didn't carry money on me those days, and there was no expectations from them. Another great thing about this resort is that the beach is private so, no hassling by merchants on the beach! The beach is great for the kids. I was abit down by the weather forcast which displayed thunder showers every day...It never happened! Everyday was sunny and hot!! The marina was a nice 5 min. walk within the gated community where the resort is located and very safe. the kids got to see dolphins, manatees, and sealions and stingrays. all free! swimming with them is a different package price though. The resort is attached to it's sister resort called the Yucatan, and it was nice and quite if you just want to relax. At times we did have trouble finding chairs by the pool, but we spent most of our time in the water's. The chairs at the beach were usually free.

All in all, I am writing this review to state you you all that the bad ones out there are from way to fussy people who don't know how to relax and enjoy life! everything else is minor details when your in the tropics :)

Viva La Mexico,

Jose "Loco"

Room Tip: Upgrade! pay the cleaning lady to stock just beers in you fridge ; )
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe P

Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was our second year in a row to this hotel. The kids really enjoyed the kids club and the specialty restaurants were nice. We had one bad situation where the window of our sliding glass door got a big crack, with us having no knowledge as to how it happened. We honestly figured it was already there from the people before us and that it was deferred maintenance. The front desk claimed that the maids clean the windows daily and that they knew it happened while we occupied the room, so we were responsible for the bill. The first time we noticed it was the first time we went out on the patio. We pleaded our case with the Concierge (who is the person they request all communication go through) and she relayed the information to the management. They charged us $200 for the repair which left a bad taste in our mouth since we honestly have no idea how it happened. We had upgraded to the suites and our in-laws were with us and upgraded to the privileged rooms as well.

Pools and sheltered bay are nice for swimming. Overall, a mixed review. Likely won't be back because of the incident with the window, but otherwise would have as we love the area in Mexico and the resort overall.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Overall my stay was a good one at the Catalonia. The grounds were beautiful, the staff friendly, pleasant and helpful. We stayed in one of the priviledge rooms which are newer. You are really paying for the mini bar in the room and the fact that they are modern, nice and kept quite cleaned. The spa was really nice too so take advantage of the spa area. My only complaint...the food...not the best. By that I mean, no flavor and not much of a variety to choose from. Everyone I spoke with at the resort (guests) all had the same complaints about the food. I considered myself a foodie and travel quite a bit so I have had my share of good and bad food. Trust me when I tell you that the food was not the greatest. They should really change their menus around and hire different cooks. I would only returned back to this resort if I knew for sure that the food was better. I do have to say that the best tasting food I had was at the Japanese restaurant. It was delicious and presentation was beautiful. Perhaps the chef for this restaurant should train the others to cook the meals with flavor and style. The other thing is, the wait to eat at the ala carte restaurants..it took from 30 to 45 minutes. It is first come, first serve and you need vouchers to eat at the a la carte restaurant. After waiting so long to eat and then getting food that doesn't taste so good, is so disappointing. The worst restaurant in my opinion was the buffet, called the Brisas. The beach small but nice. They have free snorkeling and kayaking at the resort. We saw really beautiful fishes. The entertainment staff was so much fun and hilarious! They kept the pool area quite entertained. It is a kid friendly resort so if you don't want to be around them, go somewhere else. I stayed at the beach most of the time because I wanted quiet time. The only noise I wanted to hear was the sound of the ocean. Hope my review helps.

Room Tip: The priviledge rooms are nicer and more modern than the others. I checked out an ocean room and bec...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank auroravazquez

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this vacation extremely last minute, but still read many reviews before I made a final decision. All the stuff people have said about the standard rooms being bad - it's pretty much true! I have stayed at many 4 and 5 Apple resorts in Mexico. I would rate the Catalonia's standard room more like a "2 Apple". It was mostly clean and the bathroom looked like it had been updated, but I didn't feel safe as we were on the ground floor and the locking mechanism on the sliding door looked like it had been tampered with. The safe costs extra (only $4/night) and there is no fridge. I'd compare the Catalonia's standard room to a Motel 6 - and that's being generous. We immediately returned to the front desk where I inquired about an upgrade. They said they did have a nice room available in building 4 and we could come back in an hour or so and check it out once it was clean. Wow! So glad we upgraded for an additional $30 night. Our room was very nice and exactly what I would expect at a 4 or 5 Apple resort. We had a lovely view of the pool area and the sea. It was super clean; the fridge (stocked with water, soda and beer) and the safe were included. Some other people we met had upgraded to a suite and also said it was fantastic. I definitely think there's a bait and switch tactic going on because everywhere you look there are signs suggesting an upgrade. Had I been here with girlfriends we may have tried to tough it out, but I was looking for safety and comfort; my husband could not come along due to work, so it was just me and my 8-year-old daughter.

Americans are in the minority at this resort; my daughter loved hearing people speaking various languages and seeing how people from other countries dress just a bit differently. People were there to have a good time, but no one got out of hand. The pool with the swim up bar had more of an adult/party atmosphere, but we were on the other side of the pool area and it was never an issue. While there were children at the resort, it didn't feel like the place was overrun with kids. My daughter would have liked more children to be there as she sometimes was the only child in the pool. We never had trouble getting a lounge chair at the pool or on the beach, but if you want an umbrella or some shade you might be forced down to the beach area. I loved the smallness of the resort because I could keep an eye on my daughter without having to get off of my chair, so in that respect it is great for families!

The reef just off of the beach and the lagoon area were awesome! We used hot dug buns from the snack bar to feed the fish...very exciting to see the fish up close. Some reviewers complained about the beach. It's not the kind of place where you will be able to go for a run or LONG romantic walk - but I thought the beach area was great for me and my daughter.

The food was just okay. We are somewhat picky eaters, so take this with a grain of salt. I lived off of breakfast - I found that to be the best meal of the day - and crepes (at night above the buffet - awesome!). We ate at the steak restaurant the first night and then decided we should stick to the buffet. I didn't find the drinks to be anything special, but I was not there to get drunk as the lone parent. Very watered down when I did order a cocktail. Otherwise I was drinking Pepsi light by the mugful. When we returned to the US, we made a stop at a restaurant and ate like we had been starved for 4 days.

The "Animation" (entertainment) staff were great. They definitely get people up off their chairs and having fun. I was never bothered or harassed when I politely refused to participate. The staff are very humorous and kept us laughing. We were pretty exhausted after being in the sun all day, so we did not make it to any of the evening shows.

We found the service overall to be very good, from the front desk to the bartenders to the restaurants and buffets. We were always greeted warmly and treated well. I would definitely return to this resort with my spouse, other couples and/or families.

Room Tip: Upgrade before you even get there.
11  Thank JenR8R
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!