“GOOD HOTEL,NOT 4 STAR!!!”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Good hotel for price,not 4 star like stated till rooms updated.The room we were allocated was poor air con was weak, room dated.Got a change of room which was better,had fan on ceiling helping the air con.Most staff fiendly,liked jeremiah at the chill out bar(a good laugh).
The gardens are well attended ,the food restaraunts and bars were good.
The beach is good but rocky in places footwear needed.all in all good holiday for price paid.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,603)

Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed here the 2nd week in Sept. So ready to go back!
This place was amazing! We upgraded to the the Priv. Suite - highly recommend!
The entire staff was OUTSTANDING! There was always something to eat and the drinks were plenty strong!
The buffet is like any buffet - hit or miss but there is ALWAYS something you can eat.
The SteakHouse and the Terrace was FANTASTIC! But dont' wait until 930-945 to go - you probably wont get in.
The Chinese was good as well but the Tapas and Steakhouse were our favorites hands down!
Walking distance from the Marina - great atmosphere.
Swimming was great - recommend swim shoes but you can probably get along without them.
We called about our fridge not getting cold - they were at our door in less than 10 mins and brought a new one.
I will tell you that I am a bit fussy and I have NO complaints.
Well worth it in our opinions!

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Very clean hotel, service was great, food was very good as well!!
The only low point was the room, it was very old, but it was clean tough!

We stayed on the Yucatan pool, it was very nice and quiet. The Catalonia side was a little crazy...
The beach is wonderful!! Make sure to take a swimming shoes, it has a lot of rocks on the bottom.

Value was very good!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GSfamilyof4
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is a nice Hotel, but 4Star er! No!

The Staff are very friendly and the grounds beautiful, The food is ok and lots to drink.
But now to the sore point, Please take note, this is NOT a RIU class type hotel. On arrival I expected the same type of facilities, I was very wrong.

You will be placed into a Standard room, which has, No Mini-bar, No Optics, No free Safe, and no bath ect. To obtain these you will need to upgrade to Privilaged Class, at $400USD (£250)

Before you book this Hotel/resort, TALK to your Travel Agency, Make Sure you now exactly what your paying for.

Apart from that, we Have a great time.

6  Thank Mike B

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Listen, you get what you pay for so why rate it any lower then that? If you looking for a cheap vacation with nice scenery then this is the hotel for you. Let me first address the good things about this resort before I get into the bad. The scenery is beautiful, its clean, staff was friendly and prices were decent.

What was okay was the food, it wasn't the authentic Mexican food I was looking for and the buffet was ok nothing special. The hotel room was basic, hard beds and a tube tv. For the most part it was always clean and every day I came back to my room I was surprised with a towel animal which i thought was cool.

The annoying part was the fact the pool closes at 7. I mean for me that was a little disappointing considering the fact that I wanted to enjoy some time in the evening swimming and relaxing. The beach was very rocky, so its important to buy water shoes if you are looking to go here. Also, if you are looking for "sea weed" free beach water then this is not the resort for you.

I had a few encounters with rude staff in which I hung up on them twice, additionally I had a bad experience with the people they have selling excursions that harassed me and actually followed me down stairs to ask me why i booked with someone else and that i should " pray " that nothing happens to me while I enjoy my excursion. I know that has nothing to do with the resort it self, its lomas travel. However my advice to any of you traveling to this resort, is to book your hotel transfers up front and stay away from lomas travel.

There is not much I can say about this resort. i was very excited to come here and when I did, i left with a bad taste in my mouth from the mistreatment of staff there.

Every where I went they said if you enjoyed your stay or excursion rate it on trip advisor. If you hated it , keep your mouth shut. I didnt hate my stay, nor did I enjoy my stay either.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jacqueline N
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed from Sept. 16th thru Sept 22nd . We stayed on the Riviera Maya side of the resort. First off I wanna say that I have read many reviews and some things I agree with and most I do not. The front desk people during check in were very friendly and we upgraded from a standard room to a privileged suite upon our arrival. Take it from me it is well worth the extra to be comfortable. We had others in our group that did not upgrade and found life the first day of vacation to be less than accommodating.. Day one after we got settled into our room we headed straight for the buffet after traveling for a few hours we needed some food! Unfortunately we got to the buffet and there was only 30 mins left until it was closed down to prepare for dinner service. There is a different theme there each day on the buffet but there is always your standards that will always be available. We ate what we could and immediately grabbed a couple cervezas and headed straight to the beach and into the water. The water was calm and relaxing. almost too warm. But hey we were there in the hottest part of summer for them there. The beach was a little rocky in parts. Water shoes a must . but there were areas around the lagoon that were easier to get in and out of. Most of our days were spent with our large group of friends around the pool bars . The drinks are average too above. Not always top shelf alcohol but alls you have to do is ask for more tequila! you will get it! The bars only have Corona and Modelo Negro on tap. Which is fine by me except that in that climate down there unless your slamming beers all day long they will get hot fast. The wife and I chose to drink more frozen cocktails than anything else. Drinks kept much cooler and were easier to drink . One night at the beach side Chill Out bar we had the luck of seeing a huge Loggerhead sea turtle come ashore and start digging to lay eggs not more than 10 feet away from us. Once in a lifetime there!! So glad we got to see it. Also the staff of the resort came out to keep everyone back and stop anyone from using flash photography. Very cool that they take the interest to do such things for their surroundings and marine life.And this was at 11 o clock at night!! Kudos to the staff!
Our stay was very enjoyable and we plan on returning some day soon. I have read many reviews about theft in peoples rooms. Only thing I can say is be aware of your surroundings. We had one day where we left for a few hours and came back to our room to find our room had been cleaned and straightened. I went to open the safe and realized I had left it open before we left. Too my surprise everything was there even all my money!!! May have dodged a bullet there but the housekeepers were all very nice and would do just about anything to help you. The one common fact that keeps coming up in the rooms with theft as far as suites go is that they all seem to be on the ground floor and the sliding glass door is always the reason for the issue. I stayed in room 8210 in building 10.... which was on the 2nd floor... our room was awesome!!! out door tub , mini bar, a/c kicked serious butt! So much so that my last day there I got very congested with all of the comings and goings between cold room and muggy outside!!!!
Our refrigerator stopped working on our 2nd day there. They were up and put a new one in within an hour or so.
My wife is allergic to feather pillows and they brought us new cotton pillows within 20 mins after my call!
I left a tip in the fridge area one day and asked for more beer and water!
The next day when I returned my wish came true! Mas Cerveza and mas Agua :)
The hotel grounds are beautiful, very well maintained...
We only ate at 2 specialty restaurants.. The Japanese Steak House 2 times and the steak house once!
Our chef Jose at the Japanese steak house was totally awesome! Knew how to work a crowd!!
We had such a good time that some of our group decided to have a contest as to who would sniff wasabi up their nose!! NO winners there!! They both did it though!
We did receive 4 specialty coupons for restaurants for a 6 night stay but I did come under the weather on our last 2 nights there so we just gave the others away to other guests.
We did tip almost every service person we came in contact with. Not every time mind you . But a lil bit goes a long ways down there... It all helps!
This was 9 out of 11 of our groups first all inclusive resort stay!! We all think it was great but have nothing else to compare it too...
Too sum this up all of us had a great time and if we can get back to the Catalonia in the future it wont be soon enough!!
Thanks again to all of the people at the CAT!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite. It is well worth it! On the 2nd floor if possible!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris S

Reviewed 22 September 2012

This was first trip to Mexico and we really enjoyed ourselves. When we arrived we were offered the chance to upgrade so we had a look at the room and we decided to take the upgrade, we got the best room in the complex with our own Jacuzzi overlooking the pool area. If we had of gone for a standard we may have had a different view on the hotel as we spoke to a few couples that were not happy with their rooms, but upgrading made our holiday. If anybody is looking for an upgrade ask for room 8031, it costs $50 per night. This also bumped us up to being privileged class which had a few added extras i.e. Safe/Fridge/Flat screen/Massive bed in room and certain privileges in the resort. I read that some people had valuables taken from their rooms, we had a different experience. Twice by our own error we left cash and jewellery lieing around and on both occasions it was left on the locker with a note to advise us to lock it into a safe. The food and drink in the hotel was great with loads and loads of choice, its not fine dining but it doesn’t claim to be. The service was excellent and everyone had a smile on their face. The hotel/grounds rooms are spotless. The grounds are manicured with great enthusiasm. The pools and beach are very nice. So that’s all the good stuff, obviously it's not all perfect. The few grievances that i had were the fact that you are essentially in a compound. We stayed for two weeks and found that there was not enough to do and you couldn’t really leave the compound because its just a motorway outside. Unless you have a day out organised out it can get a bit boring. I think a week/10 days would have been plenty. The entertainment at the hotel is very average and the daily activities at the pool are very loud and annoying. If you want to relax and not get dragged into the pool every 5 min don’t lie beside the main pool. All in all it was a beautiful hotel with great staff and I would have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the privileged section are the best & you will get a pool view. Prepare to spend $40-$5...
7  Thank Kosmo98

Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#74 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!