“perfect stay”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 February 2013

All in all an amazing hotel and experience. The private beach which this resort pretty much has is stellar. the water is crystal blue and sand is so soft. the staff is one of the most polite and friendly teams i have seen at hotels. I work at a luxury hotel in NYC and i can honestly say this hotel is top notch. Booked a standard room and it was nice. Only down fall was the TV did not work upon check in, but who cares?!?! we are not there to be in the room and watch TV! HSKP will not service the room if "valuables" are left in sight. LOVE this policy, but there needs to be a standard on what is considered valuable. It should not be decided at the discretion of the room attendant. In my case Head phones were left on the side table, so the room was not serviced the first day. Not a huge deal, but i could see how some guests would find this frustrating. OVERALL, amazing stay!! thank you to all the staff for making it such a wonderful time.

David

Room Tip: all rooms are great. all with balconies and sitting area on it. even the first floor rooms have priv...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jr8722
Write a ReviewReviews (9,742)

Reviewed 21 February 2013

We had travelled here in December of 2012 and had a wonderful stay! We paid an amazing price of $850.00 for each of us (december is the lower season so the price is cheaper). I had went with my boyfriend, and as a younger couple we enjoyed it alot and found that there was alot to do in this area as well without having to leave the resort. It is definatley more laid back than Cancun area which was great becuase we could relax and do what we wanted without swarming crowds of people at the beach and pools and resturants. The resturants were all amazing. All a'lacartes were great, especially the italian! The buffet was unreal and had great choices of food. The staff were all very pleasant, the water and weather was great the whole time with light showers during the night. Just off the beach you can do your own snorkeling privatley and we found lots of beautiful salt water fish without having to pay the price of a tour for snorkeling (which is also great too). There are chairs at the beach which never got crazy full when we were there but its always good to try and go to the beach early to get one. They have all sorts of shops on the resort and if you take a 10 minute walk down the street from the hotel you will find a dolphin touring place where you can swim with the dolphins which was a great experience but if you have family around try and take your own pictures because its quite coslty for proffessionals (i sound so cheap! haha). Near this area there is a bunch of stores, almost like an outside mall with all sorts of things to buy such as clothes, snorkeling and swiming gear, shoes and trinkets and souvenirs. There are also people who come every second day in there little "kiosks" to sell souvenirs and jewelery, picture frames, paintings and wood carvings e.t.c.All the souvenirs were very nice but just make sure you do not pay full price for anthing because it is all marked up at least 50%! Just dont hurt there feelings or offer an impossible deal they cant make because they are all very nice and funny and have to make money too! On your way to the dolphin area/shopping center i had mentioned earlier, you will see a little port with boats and stuff. We actually went deep sea fishing privatley with a couple of guys who owned a really nice, bigger boat. We paid a great price of $230.00 for four of us, and they tok us for a good 4 hours or so, we went fishing and caught fish and they took us to a really great snorkeling spot as well. If you can avoid the huge crowds on catamaran tours and such i would definatley reccomend it. The snorkeling was absolutley fantastic and the private tour was wonderful, they even supplied beverages for us and were super nice. We really enjoyed this resort, the rooms were clean all the time and the king sized beds were SOO comfy. We actually got "bumped down" on our room that we were supposed to stay at accross the garden in the other hotel rooms, and we were going to change but were content with where we were and the room we had was great so we just stayed, and we were actually on the bottom floor. I would reccomend this resort to anyone. A group of 6 of my friends went the following year and had a blast as well. Order the MANGO TANGOS becuase they are fabulous, same with the baby and banana monkeys. Thats probably all i drank there, and i loved it haha. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank alicia s
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Hola Everyone,

Sorry it has taken me so long to post this review for the Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort (CYB) / Rivera Maya (CRM) & I have stayed there 11 times now, & this was the best visit yet! The review is quite long & some is repetitive of my original review, but is for the benefit of those of you that haven’t read my previous one, we are now able to post multiple reviews for properties which is good in my opinion.

To put this review in perspective, I have stayed in the area 15 times in everything from a 3.5* - 5*. Also, as I have been a repeat guest of the “Cat” 11 times, a LOT of the staff know me & returning is like going to see family, so my opinion may be a tad skewed….

The Resort - The resort is a nice size which gives you enough restaurants, activities etc, but is still small enough to be personable & you don't need a shuttle to get around. It is not a high-rise, is nicely spread out & does require a little bit of walking around, but not too much & is probably a good thing to lose a few calories from all the good food. :o) The resort is divided in 2, the Yucatan side to the south, & the Riviera Maya side to the north. I believe that the Yucatan side is marketed to Canada & Europe, & Riviera side is marketed to USA. You have access to everything on both sides, & we never felt segregated in any way. We did stay at another resort in the past that was setup in this manner, & you definitely felt that way there. We don’t have small children, so really couldn’t rate the kids club, & like the last 10 times, it seemed that the kids were kept pretty busy, & seemed to be having fun. There is some top-less sunbathers at the beach, so if you don’t want your kids, or yourself being exposed to this, then Cancun, or the Mayan Area are not for you, as we have experienced it at all 5 resorts we have stayed at. The location is great. It is in Puerto Adventuras, a gated community with a few resorts, a marina, condos, some shopping, dining, & the “Swim with the dolphins.” All this was only about a 2 – 3 block easy walk, & you don’t get accosted by pushy sales people at all. There did seem to be more shops closed up this year. (A sign of the times?) Close enough to outside tours, sites, etc, but not too close. The resort used to provide a free shuttle to Playa Del Carmen daily, but was discontinued because it wasn’t used that much & to save costs. Oh & by the way, it seemed that the most of the resort is wheelchair accessible. The suites however are not. The one tower of standard deluxe rooms (Tower C) is however, but ground floor only. All the main towers have elevators in them.

The Rooms / Check-in – Upon arrival at Yucatan side we were greeted warmly & dealt with promptly. I had requested a room in Villa 8 (CRM side), upper floor with a view. We were in rm 8031, which is upper floor & faced the lagoon on one side & the pool / Margarita Bar (My Office) to the right from balcony, & ocean. Fairly decent view I must say, the Bamboleo Restaurant Palapa style roof did block a lot of it. With the exception of Bldg7, CYB side, which are the Oceanfront; all of the upgraded rms are on the CRM side & here are the different types of rooms available.
1. Standard; Shower w/tub, King OR 2 doubles. No Fridge, no coffee maker, no alarm clock & safe extra. Apparently there ARE some Standards with fridges now.
2. Privilege Superior; King, (There are now some w 2 doubles in Tower B, top floor) fridge, soda, beer, water refilled daily, no tub but large walk-in shower w/2 heads (Large rain shower type, & shower wand type), alarm clock & safe included.
3. Privilege Superior Oceanview; Same as Superior above but is located ONLY in bldg 7 on Yucatan side, & has true Oceanview.
4. Privilege Suites; Same as Superior above, plus 2 separate rooms & 2nd rm has foldout bed. 2 sinks in bathroom. Separate toilet area in bathroom. Large soaker tub on balcony.

More about Standard Rooms, they are functional, basic & clean. All have hair dryers, shampoo, soap, & body wash. You get 2 free bottles of water in your room upon arrival, & can be re-filled at all the bars & restaurants. Some people complain about this issue, but if it’ll save a few $$ in the price, & make me get some exercise, then it’s a good thing. There is no fridge, & a room safe is extra $. We tipped the maid 1 - 2 US $ per day & would return to towel art on the bed every night. Oh by the way, shower pressure gave up on me 1 day in the AM, Luckily I had just finished showering. I did check on it 10 min later & pressure was fine. Water temperature was tepid until I found the trick to adjusting the water. If you turned the water all the way in either direction it was as I said tepid. However, if you set it slightly more to the cold side, it was nice & hot???? We seem to experience water issues in every resort down there. Never had problems at all in the newer tower c, or Suite in bldg 11 on N side of resort in the past. They ARE the newest bldgs however??

The Grounds - The grounds are impeccable, & there was always someone cleaning this, painting that, etc. The foliage has recovered nicely from the hurricanes of 2005, our 1st trip there was in 2006 & the foliage was a little sparse back then. The little foot bridge that used to be near the lagoon is now gone. Several weddings again this year & the staff decorates very nicely for them & will use various locations for their reception that evening, depending on size of wedding, very nice!

The Beach - The beach is a nice, fairly long stretch, (Though not a looooonnnnggg walk) & to the south end there is sand, & to the north it gets rocky & goes into a small channel that leads to a calm sandy lagoon that is great for small children. This north end has a great many rocks, etc, (You will need water socks, or shoes if you want to explore around this area) but this makes for good snorkelling right at the resort. We like to snorkel, & we spotted a vast array of sealife in the area. In short, whatever you want from a beach, you can find here. Resort was at capacity, & the “Towel Game” was in effect. You could usually find a spot somewhere, although the primo spots would go quickly.

The Pools – There are 2 pools on the Yucatan side, with a swim up bar (Tequila Bar), & seemed somewhat quieter than the Riviera side. This side has 3 pools, which seemed to have most activities going on, & had a swim up bar as well (Margarita Bar, Hello to Mi Amigos y amiga, Gregorio, Jose, Benito, Domingo, & Ariana). Gregorio & Benito have been there since we started going & always greets the Mrs & I with a warm Hug & Hola. Feels like we are visiting family. This was our “Home base” during the day & would finish the day off here around around 5:30 PM when this bar would close. This was the “Un-official Meeting Place” of all us TA members, & a great many new friendships were forged here :o)

The Food - There are 2 buffets, one is enclosed air-conditioned on the Yucatan side (El Mercado) & the other is an open air on the Riviera Maya side (La Brisa). This is the one that we ate at most often for lunches & breakfasts. Both buffets have the same menu, but each day has a different “Theme” ie Italian, Tex Mex, etc. There is a made to order pasta station, grill station, plus salads, fruits, breads, pastries etc, (All breads & pastries are made on-site). If you can’t find something to your liking you are way too picky. I’m somewhat of a picky eater & had no problems getting filled. Ask your waiter for a Cappuccino coffee, they’re quite good. There are 4 A La Carte restaurants, a Mexican, (Alebrijes - Try the grilled cheese appetiser!) an Italian (Bella Vista - Good beef Carpaccio), a Grill house, (Bamboleo - Good steaks, although not as thick as what we are used to at home here, the Filet IS the thickest) but was still very flavourful, & the Japanese (Mikado – Tepanaki style, 14 max people around a grill with the chef cooking in front of you, such fun & GREAT food!). Didn’t really have a favourite & the Bamboleo is where management hosted a TA member’s dinner for us, more on that later. All were great service. The Grill house is open air, & can be a bit chilly from the ever present ocean breeze, so be prepared. You’re allocated 3 coupons upon check-in per week for these restaurants & a 4th separate 1 for the Tapas if you opted for an upgrade to 1 of the “Privilege Options.” So you have to decide upon which one you are NOT going to visit. The Grill house doubles as the snack bar during the day & serves, hot dogs, burgers, fries, nachos, breaded fish fillets, (Good ones, not the frozen card board ones & I would make fish burgers with these), pizza, chicken wings, etc & varied slightly from day to day. This snack bar was open till 2:00 AM. Upstairs by the Mexican & Italian restaurants is another Restaurant called Le Creperie. Open 5:00 PM – 10:45 PM, here you can treat yourself to Fruit Crepes, Milkshakes, Ice Cream & Banana Splits. To Die For. There is also the Tapas which is beyond La Creperie, which is an additional cost of $15 per person if you are in the Standard. They have a stuffed chicken entrée here that was my fav dish this time around… YUMMY! Overall I’d have to say that there is an improvement in the food over past visits. The ONLY negative would be the yogurt in the Buffets, the Mrs likes her yogurt for breakfast, & it used to be in individual cups & was in different flavours. Now it is in bulk in a big dispenser & is quite watery. I also used to prefer when you would make reservations for the a la cartes. Now you just show up. There is quite often line-ups for the restaurants.

The Staff – The staff is very friendly & truly try their best. Some spoke better English than others, but all tried. Try a little Spanish yourself, be friendly yourself, what you give, you get. We would tip the bartenders 3 – 6 US $ per day, & our cups were never empty. We bring our own 20 oz “Bubba Keg” insulated mugs with us, & they help keep drinks cold, or hot depending on what you put in them. I would put coffee in mine when leaving the breakfast buffets, then get Gregorio to fill it up with Baileys, Kahlua & Galliano. Animation Team were numerous, talented, & would keep things going. They were eager to get folks involved, but weren’t pushy about it. I really like the staff here, & feel that they are the “Cat’s” greatest assets. The A-Team, bartenders (Gregorio, Jose, Nesario, Jeramie, Salvatore & Benito) waiters, even Management (Silvia, Luis & Joel) always gives the Mrs & I a warm greeting when passing complete with a hug! Do you get that at the “Mega Resorts”?

Trip Advisor Dinner Party – I emailed Silvia (Resort General Manager) ahead of time & told her there would be a few TA members there at the same time as us & asked if she could setup a “TA Members Dinner” party & asked if she & any other of the management staff would like to join in. I have arranged these dinners in the past and Silvia was only too happy to once again oblige. They reserved seating for 35 in the Bamboleo and Silvia, Luis, (Room Manager), Joel, (Manager of Restaurants & Bars) & Ricky (Manager of the A-Team) joined us & we all had such a wonderful time. Silvia, Luis, Joel & Ricky, if you are reading this, & I know you are, Muchas Gracias Amiga y Amigos! TA even sent us all some portable fans & luggage tags to hand out during the dinner. A very memorable evening.....

Entertainment – There was entertainment nightly in the Theatre on the Riviera side, & varied from night to night. This was generally pretty good using the varied talents of the Animation Team. Some we have seem before, or variations thereof, so we would just bypass it that night. Just outside the entrance to the theatre is the “Lobby Bar” (El Abuelo). There was a small stage here where a various live musical acts would perform. The Disco is located on the Yucatan side, alongside the “Sports Bar”. The Disco opened at 11:00 PM, & is nice. If you like dance clubs with loud “Techno” music & like to stay up late & party you’ll like this spot. The wife & I aren’t really into it, by 11:00 these old timers are ready for bed! The Sports bar is equipped with “Plasma” screens, a bar, various video games, pool tables, etc & was also well appointed. This bar opened at 4:00 PM, but they would open the doors so you could watch various games on the big screens.

During the day, there is snorkel gear to borrow, kayaks, hobie cats (must be arranged ahead of time), archery, beach volley ball, Spanish lessons, aqua fit in the pools, bicycles, bocce ball, ping pong by the pool, salsa dance lessons, plus a myriad of games that the A-Team cook up to entertain.

Summary – In closing if you are looking for a nice clean all inclusive resort, with great service, super friendly staff, good food, decent clean rooms, good beach, good poolside activities, decent night life & has something for everyone, including children, all at a reasonable price, then I highly recommend this resort. You can check out my TA Profile to find out more info, pics from previous trips, links, etc.

Or come & check out the Puerto Aventuras Forums, as I can usually be found hangin around there;

I’m already planning my next vacation here……… :o)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BC_IT_Guy
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We traveled to the Riviera Maya, Mexico in Mid October to our first all inclusive. The weather was great and the resort was beautiful. The resort was very lush, clean and safe. The staff was friendly and we were NEVER approached by vendors or timeshare sellers. Food was fine. The rooms are very nice! This is a large resort, but not over crowded. Tips: Bring a travel cup for your cocktails (the cups they serve you are very small), bring water shoes as the beach is a little rocky. The Catamaya catamaran excursion is well worth it! We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: don't stay in a standard room as there is no coffee maker or mini bar. Rooms with mini bar are r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank shagal
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear shagal,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We just finished our 4th visit to HC (Hotel Catalonia @ Riviera Maya), we love the staff and the atmosphere. Recommended definitley for couples or groups of friends. The bar staff are all very very friendly and will take great care of you!

Room Tip: It's a little more expensive, but I highly recommend the 'priveledged rooms'. They are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank CazsKarma
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear CazsKarma,

It is great to know that our repeat guests keep coming back to our beautiful country and hotel and that they keep having a good holiday.

We certainly hope you will decide to visit us again, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

This year's stay marked the first time we had booked a two-week stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya and, having dealt with the passing of my wife's mother a few months earlier, we just wanted to relax and enjoy some close family time with our two sons ( who arrived for week #2 )

I am delighted to report that in almost every way imaginable, the management and staff at the Cat found a way to exceed our expectations yet again! From the moment we arrived at reception, Pablo and Manager Jonay let us know that we were expected and were in good hands. Our room this year in Villa 8 was superb! The very small issues we had encountered last year were nowhere to be seen..and some of our suggestions had clearly been heard and acted upon, such as putting a "Please wait to be seated sign" at the Creperia to aid seating.

We found that the food in all the a la cartes and in the buffets had been improved since last year, with new items on the menus and items kept hotter and fresher as well.

What can I say about staff? Well, the list is so long I worry about leaving someone out! Francesco and Elva in the Creperie, Jorge and Hector in the Tapas, Brenda and Lucio in the Mikado, Claudio and Esther in Las Brisas, just to name a few! Special thanks go out to Pablo at the Bambaleo for his amazing attention to every detail. Of course, Jorge ( lifeguard ), Nazario at the Tequila Bar and Gregorio and Ariana at the Margarita Bar welcomed us as old friends and you simply can't put a price on that.

I can't finish this review without a special thank you to the resort Manager Silvia who took the time to welcome us as valued guests and Manager of Food and Beverage Service Joel who simply could not do enough for us throughout our entire stay.

People often ask why we return to the same resort year after year. It's really very simple. The Cat is our "second home" and all the people who work there are our extended family. See you next year at the Cat!!! :-)

Room Tip: As I've said in previous reviews, opt for the upgrade to a Privilege suite or room if it is avai...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank X-BC_Politician

Dear X-BC_Politician,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your 4th stay with us, It is wonderful to know that you had a great time here in your second home; the feedback of our guests is our most important source to improve our facilities and servicies, I assure that we hear all of them!

We definately hope to see you soon, it will be our pleasure to welcome you and your family!

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We visited Mexico in December for our 40th wedding anniversary.Room was a standard one and was fine not exceptional but ok.We ate at the Japanese,mexican,steak house and tapas we didn't enjoy mexican ,service lacking and food not very good,but the others were good ,our favourite was the steak house we went there 3 times !!Tapas was good well presented but a bit fancy for us ,Japanese very entertaining with show cooking.We used buffet restaurant at other times not too impressed with food there ,was usually something we could eat but not as good as we have had in other hotels.Drinks were good with branded drinks ie Gordon's gin available on request ,great cocktails too.We had a meal on the beach for our anniversary dinner,it cost extra about £80 but the food was amazing ,lobster and fillet steak with sparkling wine plus a lovely prawn starter in a half pineapple and a nice dessert,we had our own waiter too ,very romantic and well worth it,only downside it was very dark and windy because the lighting kept blowing out so they used some candle lit bags,and we couldn't see very well,but you can't help the weather,was lovely tho.Beach is lovely and sea clear,if you took some bread the fish would come and take it from you.Evening entertainment was good on some nights but we didn't stay out on too many nights ,just had a drink and went to bed.We went to Chichen Itza ,well worth a look ,very interesting.Also the marina was a short walk away from hotel and you could watch the dolphins there for free.Location wise not much near to hotel you need to catch a bus or taxi.We probably wouldn't return as we like to try other hotels ,but we enjoyed our trip here

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dawsue
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!