“Nice first experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal Canada
“Nice first experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

First time in all-included resort, travelling with children 4 and 7. We really enjoyed this medium sized, quiet resort. We booked for a Catalonia Yucatan priviledged room, but finally we were at Riviera Maya. The superieur room was very nice, with all amenities you need. Cleaning staff was very efficient. The view was not so good but we didn't complained. We were closed to the Abuelo bar in block B but with climatisation, it didn't bother us in the evening. Buffet restaurants had a lot of variety, it wasn't difficult to find something tasty, there are always ready-to-cook fish and meat. The service was best at Las brisas, and non existent at El Mercado. We enjoyed the speciality restaurants, don't miss Mikado japanese restaurant and the show! We never waited more than 30 minutes to get seated. The crepery is very nice also, and you will find there the best coffee (open for dinner).

The beach is nice but small, even if it is rocky you can find a sandy patch to get in and after that you will find a large sandy area to swim and play. The lagoon is very nice for children and everybody when it's windy! Snorkeling was the main reason we came to this resort and we were very happy! You will see a lot of fishes between the lagoon and the bay on the left, but on a quiet sea, go out of the bay to explore the reef, we went to the left and even if it is deep, it's a nice place to explore with a healthy reef. I even saw an eagle spotted ray, also squids.

The resort is conveniently situated to explore the area. We took the collectivo to go to Tulum (30 min, 40 pesos per person). We also took a taxi to go to Rio Secreto (15 min, 230 pesos) and to Akumal beach (15 min, 200 pesos) to explore beautiful corals and turtles! From the resort, it is nice to go to the marina (5 min walk or take a bike free from the resort).

We could come back again, and recommend this place for people who prefer snorkeling to long walk on a sandy beach!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank AnnikD
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear AnnikD,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, it's great to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cannock
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Firstly, this was our Honeymoon so we had spent quite a lot of money on what we expected to be the best Hotel we had ever stayed in. I am afraid it disappointed us. Maybe I expected too much but we paid out quite a bit for a standard room and had booked at the Yucatan Beach (sister Hotel). However the coach from the airport went past the Yucatan and pulled up outside of the Riviera Maya and we booked in at this Reception. We were then asked if we wanted to upgrade. I decided that as it was our Honeymoon we should and paid out an additional £293 to get what we thought would be a fantastic room. It wasnt. We basically paid the extra for a fridge containing soft drinks, water and two cans of beer, a safety deposit box, grapes and two apples. The room was tiny, the bed was the only furniture you could see in the room when you entered. There was one chair up against a desk which the TV was sat on. A sliding door to the balcony which looked out on a wall! You had to stretch your neck around to the left or right to see any kind of view. It was very disappointing. However, on a positive note, the room was clean, beds made every day and the staff were very friendly. The food was average, a fairly good selection on offer but nothing special. Again the staff were friendly and helpful. Bar staff were great and as we paid all inclusive our drinks were free flowing of course. Five al a carte restaurants, the Mexican was my favourite as I love mexican food although not a great selection on the menu and you had to pay for any bottles of wine you wanted. Weather in Febraury was about 28/30 every day apart from three when it rained and turned cold. But then what do you expect for February? England was -2 so we couldnt grumble. We went on one excursion "Coco Bongo" - my husband and I are in our early 40's and could just about cope with the incredibly steep steps inside the theatre but I am sure there will be many of you who would struggle to get to the VIP area right in the gods!! If you dont like heights dont go. Ideal for 18-30 age but not for us unfortunately. Very expensive for what it was. The beach was nice although coral and rocks to walk through and over to get into the sea and snorkel. Lovely fish though to look at. We would take bread when we went for lunch and feed the fish in the afternoon which was the highlight of our day. Absolutely wonderful to see fish of all colours swimming around your feet! Overall I would say this is a 3 start hotel not 4 and not worth the money we paid, especially for our honeymoon. The 11 hour flight was tough too so we wont be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BeckyCannock
Dear BeckyCannock,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Parma, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

I am sure there are better hotels in the area, however, if you don’t get a standard room (like we had) I am sure the Catalonia Riviera Maya is a nice hotel. I admit the food is absolutely AWFUL, There are about 5 restaurants and I personally think the best ones are probably the Italian restaurant (I live in Italy) and the Japanese restaurant, however, I would give them no more than a C-. The Mexican restaurant is the worst food I have had in a long time, which is a pity since we were hoping to eat some good local food. I have read almost all of the reviews and I wonder how they haven’t changed the chefs yet!
The animation I thought could have been better, and the standard room is awful, however, overall the hotel is very nice . I believe the price-quality of this hotel is acceptable! In the end, however, If I had the chance to return to the area I would try another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank herewego530
Dear herewego530,

Alicante, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Pluses : 1. The food quality and the choice are very good.2. Cleaning service's outstanding. Nothing to say more and what I enjoyed the most.
Minuses: 1. The management of restaurants system is awfull: standing in a long line before each regular food to non a la carte restaurants can kill anybody. That was only because the waitress was inviting each company or person one by one and accompanied them to the table she thought is suitable for them and ready to be used. It would be so sweet if it wouldnt be too long and useless as its more convenient just to come and eat. 2. A w f u l l a la carte restaurants "no reservations" system, as there is no reservation available you go there and ...suprise! No tables available, so you come back after 2-3-4 hours you'll be lucky to eat there at 10-11pm if you start to wait at 6 pm. So, dear Sirs! might be easier to have a prebooking not to wait for your dinner during long hours as many people did, instead many gave up and went to eat in a non-a la carte restaurant. 3. If service in a la carte restarant was good, the service in a main restaurant was hmm... It didnt exist. For sake, I honestly could do my coffee by myself, because asking for your cup of coffee or tee to the waiter meant nothing for them, looked like they forgot about your drink after 1 second after was asked. It's a miracle how inattentive waiter can be. So if you are not able to provide the order, don't ask me what I will drink. So, no tips and good words for such work. 3. Help-desk wasn't friendly at all, all they did is offering a privileged room and if you have complaints it' your problem. 4. Swimmers!!!The see shore and deeper is full of stones, not available for swimming at all.
Resume: I would search for another hotel my next visit, only because of the minuses mentioned. Hope situation will change.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the 1st floor, noisy!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nigol
Dear Nigol,

Fredericksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

The Riviera Maya area is the most beautiful area I have ever traveled to; however, I would not recommend this hotel. I am a woman in my late 20's and traveled with my friend for a 4 day getaway. The food was average, and one night I could not find anything that I liked. They only had bacon on the buffet one morning and it wasn't even good (how do you screw up bacon??!!) You get a couple of tickets depending on your length of stay to eat at the "nice" restaurants if you want to forego the buffet. They cut so many corners at the "nice" places that it just made some of the food impossible to enjoy. The "alcohol" that is served at the resort is also extremely watered down. At home, (VA, US), I can get drunk from one good shot and a couple of mixed drinks. At the resort, I drunk all day, all night, sampled some mango tequila (which I never drink) and I never even felt a buzz. One of the staff members even told us that he could never drink the stuff at resort because it is "fake". We got a standard room and it was OK. It was equal to a low budget (Super 8) but it was clean. The beds are not comfortable, they are too hard. The staff here are all really great, very nice and helpful. The resort is only a 10 minute cab ride to Playa Del Carmen which is amazing for local shopping. The resort is also very secure, with a guard at the front gate. We also really hated that all of the pools they boast about online are only open until between 7p-8p at night and then close for the night. So much for drinking by the pool at night! There are also no hottubs which really upset us because the water is so cold at night. It's a little too dangerous at night to be in the actual sea because of the large rocks and large corals. Bring water shoes!!!!! The water here is absolutely gorgeous and great snorkeling! Speaking of, this hotel boasts about free water activities but beware: They only allow you one hour per day of free stuff. So even though my girlfriend and I were having a blast with snorkeling we had to keep worrying about going over the "hour rule". What lady is wearing a watch in the water?? We had to keep bugging random men (who did not speak English) for the time. This resort is primarily a French speaking destination (they have some agreement with Canada/France). Anyway, I would try my luck with another resort. There are just too many downfalls with this one. Either way, you will truly love this area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank TravelingCrystal
Dear TravelingCrystal,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Warwick, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

We just returned from our 4th annual trip to The Catalonia Riviera Maya (25 Jan thru 08 Fen). We can honestly state that there has been improvement in one form or another each year. We stay in the Privileged Villas – this year in building no. 7 – a great location.

The Cat is not a place that needs a lot of improvements each year - management’s efforts are a sign that they are trying to be the best value in the Mayan Riviera area and we think they are succeeding. A major improvement this year occurred at the Front Desk. In our previous 3 visits, we always requested a Privileged Villa, ground floor, because I use a “walker” to deal with severe back problems. We always have received our requested room, but usually with some heated discussions with the Front Desk management. This year we wrote to management with our request (in Spanish and English) and followed up with a telephone call to Reservations about 1 month prior to our arrival date to reinforce our request – (we usually give 4 rooms as our preferences). We arrived and went directly to the desk – they had our paperwork out on the desk and offered our first preference room. No hassle, no heated discussions, no problems AND with a smile. Was the unexpected offer of our first requested room choice the result from our letters and telephone call or was it a new, improved effort to provide better service? We don’t know, but were extremely pleased with the honoring of our request.

We also noticed a significant improvement in the food served in the buffet; breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ordinarily, in previous visits, we looked forward to eating in the Specialty restaurants – this year we would have had no issue with eating all meals in the buffet. That’s not to say we didn’t enjoy the other restaurants (especially the Terrace), it’s just that there were many excellent choices in the buffet – enough to satisfy anyone’s tastes. There are opinions on this site that state the food choices are limited and stagnant – we totally disagree. One thing I would like to thank some in “food service” for is going back to the original Carpaccio appetizer recipe served at the Bella Vista – absolutely fantastic!

Housekeeping and cleanliness have never been an issue – it’s always been excellent. The friendliness and service provided by the staff, in our opinion, is second to none – they can’t do enough for you. Obviously, everyone is working for tips, but we think their motivation goes above and beyond. We’d like to recognize 3 of them in particular; Arianna and Gregorio at the Margaritas Bar, and Salvatore (Salvador?) at the bar between the Bellavista and Alebrijes restaurants – always making sure your vacation is memorable.

Do we have any gripes? Yes, a couple, but they are relatively minor, but one could be quite serious. Minor: there’s no printer available in the privileged office (computers available for privileged guests), so it’s not possible to print your boarding passes when leaving; and a few chairs and tables among the lounges would be appreciated along with a few more sun umbrellas. The last and more serious complaint did not affect us directly, but we witnessed a few other guest having problems; some floors are very slippery – more slippery than one would expect. A lady slipped on the stairs going down to the Margarita Bar, another guest slipped and fell on the floor tiles in the buffet. We had a couple of close calls with the floor tiles in our room. On another visit, we witnessed a guest slip and fall on the sloped floor entering the Lobby to the Bella Vista and Mexican restaurants. A few well-places all-weather abrasive strips would go a long way to make things safer.

This year, a couple of friends joined us at the Cat – they did so based upon our recommendation. You’re always concerned that the experience might not live up to the expectations you’ve set. No worry at the Cat – our friends are ready to go back again next year. All-in-all, we had one of the best vacations ever and can’t wait until we get to return next year.

Room Tip: The upgrade to Priviledged class at one of the Villa buildings is well worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank docj21
Ekero, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Me and my family (2 adults and 2 children 2y and 7 months) stayed at the Catalonia Riviera Maya in february 2013. We were very happy with our stay. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, even when you didn't tip. A custom we aren't used to coming from Sweden. Great restaurants with good variety, we liked the smaller buffet restaurant best. They have good service off all kind. The kids club staff was amazing even if our kids just played at the playground the took time with us and them, give them our best if you go! Loads of activities.

Room Tip: Buy a less expensive room from your agent and upgrade on site. We upgraded to a svit for half the pr...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,825 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!