My husband and I stayed at "The Cat" from 5/23-5/30. We got a great deal out of Atlanta and wasn't quite sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised! We upgraded to a suite upon arrival and it was money well spent! While we never saw a standard room, the suite provided a flat-screen TV, a 4-poster bed, mini-bar stocked with beer, H20, and soda daily. It also included the safe in the price(you have to pay $3 a day in a standard room), in addition to, a beautiful patio with tub and a very spacious bathroom and luxurious shower.
The A-team, in addition to the scheduled nightly entertainers, did a great job. There was something for everyone, young and old. Some were more talented than others, but overall, they did a great job. Kudos to Heather!!
While I have seen some postings about "Obnoxious Americans", I saw some activities that were "festive", however, they were from all over and given the time of year, you can expect Spring Breakers anywhere in Mexico. They were harmless and did not bother us at all and were certainly not a focus point of our vacation...It is what you make of it!!
Yes, the beach area is a bit rocky going out and watershoes would probably be helpful, but you can make do without. The lagoon is great for children, the elderly, or those afraid of the ocean. I found the lagoon water to be a bit "stagnant".
We were very pleased with the quality of the food on the buffets, there was a nice assortment of fruits, vegetables, meat, chicken, and fish. The servers were attentive and worked hard.
The best a la carte restaurant, no question, is the Japanese. The food is good, the drinks are top-shelf, and the staff was the best!!Visit Armando at the bar, he can mix up anything! Also, the manager, Jorge and the hostess, Lyn, were both very accomodating.
The "SteakGrille" was not worth the trip at all, service or quality-wise. This was our least favorite experience. The Mexican, I thought, was very good. I ordered the fish. My husband did not enjoy his steak at all, but the service was very good. The Italian was not much to write home about...
Rafael and Juan at The Tequila Bar are fun and they provide superior service! The service at the other swim up bar was great too!
Biggest Complaint: If you are into fitness, you will be very disappointed in the gym. It is a smelly little room with very old, bad equipment that is falling apart. There are 2 spinning bikes and that is it!!! We are told they are building a new spa/gym but we didn't see any new construction going on. If you like to work out, opt to walk/run around the gated marina, however, keep in mind that it is very humid and the pavement is uneven.
Also, it is almost impossible to get change in American money. Most of the staff will offer you $15 for a $20 bill and claim they do not have any change! Stock up on ones to tip prior to arrival. In addition, while you are waiting for the shuttle from the airport, which can take an hour or so, and you decide you want a beer, 2 Coronas will run you $14 at the outside bar at the airport! We thought that was a bit much, considering it is their local beer!
The ride was long but once you arrive, it is very enjoyable. The dolphins, sea lions, and manatees were fun to watch at the near-by marina. The stores are your typical tourist-traps but you may be able to find a good quality T-shirt or cigar, as my husband did.
Beware: Someone posted earlier this month how fascinating it was to put your foot in the water below the footbridge because it would "glow at night". We would not recommend that, it appears it is algae infected and no wonder one's foot would "glow"! : )
All in all, great value, great service, nice pools and beaches.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Mexico - Puerto Aventuras