“Towels???” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Towels???”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife surprised me with a trip to Riviera Maya last week. My wife and I stayed at Catalonia back in 2005 and were surprised with all of the upgrades that they have made since. The food was much better this time around and found no real issues to get reservations for the restaurant we wanted to eat at. The privilege area was nice but not great. Most of the staff was nice and friendly but the man at the front desk that checked us out upon leaving demanded that I return back to the room and bring him all the towels from our room. This individual was quit rude and disrespectful. I would have rated the hotel much higher if not for the towel incident of 2014!!!

Room Tip: When asking for a privilege room, request a view of the village and not the parking lot!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nick R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We have just returned from our trip to this hotel where we stayed for two weeks over the New Year Period.

Check in...... Very rushed because staff was checking us in at same time as other families. Rushed though the map with us aswell, Although the welcome cocktail was very nice and added touch. Would of been nice if we had little more attention and little less rushed.

We arrived at 8pm and after a two hour coach transfer from airport and a three hour wait in customs so we was very tired and hungry. Next morning. We had a look around, the resort is huge, plenty to do if you like. Beach was lovely and plenty of sunbeds to chose from. Towels are available daily which is good, we saved our beach towels for our excursions.

We didn't like how you couldn't book a table for evening meal just at main reception. You had to go to the specific restaurant at 5-5:30pm and reserve your slot. Although we managed to eat in all the restaurants the booking system should be changed.

We can recommend the crepiere (milkshake and pancake bar), which is located above the outdoor buffet restaurant. Make sure you check what days they are closed though we had a lot of rain so wasn't open alot of the time. Japanese restaurant was lovely too went their twice make sure you give that a visit.

Catalonia hotel is near the marine which is good to watch the dolphins, and take pictures, there is a few bars and restaurants, give Pelican Point a try if you stay at Catalonia this is in the Marina. Also amazing ice cream shop Adventuras Gelto - perfect ice cream. Quite a long walk, 30 mintutes to main highway to get a collectivo to playa de carman or tulum etc but worth doing because so cheap to get into town and both Tulum and Playa Del Carmen are nice areas to visit.

Would visit again .... but there is room for improvement in certain areas

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jenna C
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed a week, during January 2014, and these are my major disappointments with the hotel:

• Restaurants: In order to go to a restaurant, you have to stay in line for around an hour. Also, it is possible (and happened to us) that, after waiting for an hour in line, you don't get space and you have to go to the buffet area.
• You shouldn't be drinking tap water. I would expect that in an 'all inclusive' hotel, you would find bottles of water for you to drink at night. Unfortunately was not the case. You have to BUY your own water and take them to the room, if you plan to drink water during the night. I find this 'fine print' strategy so annoying.
• If you plan to do water sports, be prepared to go back and forth to get a kayak or snorkel. Again, there is no reservation system in place and not enough available. So you have to be standing at the office waiting for somebody to return them. Finally, if there is a wedding, you can't kayak or snorkel.

Seems that the business model is oriented for you to go to the tapas restaurant (that you have to pay), to buy your water and purchase your own snorkel equipment (of course, you can find in the hotel store). Not my idea of an "all inclusive".

The only really good thing was scuba diving. Our guide, Stephan, was really patient teaching my daughter the basics of scuba in the pool and taking her to the ocean later. Really good guy!

Hope this helps other travelers!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Gerardo0469
Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Like many others, I was obsessed with reading the negative reviews about this resort before we left. Once we got there I was sure that these negative reviews must have been for another resort. I just can't imagine how picky you would have to be to not like this place. The setting was beautiful, the pools were great (we went over Christmas and it was busy but the pools were never packed). The beach was great (the chairs are gone by 7:00 am, which is annoying, but that happens everywhere). The food in all the restaurants was great, and the service was so unbelievably professional. Our room was nice, smelled very musty but we still liked it. My only complaint would be that many people smoke around the pools and in the outdoor bar/seating areas.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Rachel F
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

OK so to be fair I take these sites with a pinch of salt. I rarely let reviews on tripadvisor determine where I holiday, as I have stayed in some fantastic hotels of which I've read terrible reviews and vice versa. And to be honest I don't often write a review unless I feel it necessary, so here goes...

I'd say this hotel is poor to average. I have stayed in much better quality resorts in terms of accommodation, space and service of an equal star rating. The general feel of the resort is cramped, too many people are squeezed into a hotel which would be better suited if spread over an area of twice the size. You get the feeling that you are 'laying on-top of everyone' squashed in like sardines by the pool and on the beach IF you are lucky enough to get a sun lounger where you want (we'll come back to this one).

The Catalonia Riviera Maya is apparently two hotels next door to each other with the Catalonia Yucatan, which is actually just one half of the hotel in my opinion. You can use the facilities of both (with the exception of 'PRIVILEGED' - see below). In reality they should just call the whole place 'The Catalonia' as there is no need to refer to the place as two different hotels. So if you are overly sold on going here, just book which ever is cheapest as they are actually the same thing.

The staff at the hotel are a bit 'hit or miss'. Some are friendly with the others just average. One guy on reception the other night really did have a 'can't be bothered' attitude and a face like a slapped... Erm... Back-side. The friendliest and most attentive bar person has to be at the Japanese restaurant bar. I'd have to agree with other posters that the bar staff make the drinks and cocktails up as they go along. No consistency as every cocktail from every bar arrives different. Some work to be done here I'm thinking. The bar men at the main bar by the theatre where the shows are, look overly tired and treat you like you are bothersome if you ask for a drink. No smile, no thank you, no chit-chat = No tip for you!

When you arrive at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, the first thing you are advised is "UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE" - "SPECIAL PROMOTION 50% OFF". We decided that having spent enough money on the holiday itself, we would check out the room and see what we got as standard. Our first room at the Catalonia Riviera Maya was 428 - A grubby dark room overlooking a rather dirty large bland wall with an overly noisy generator running. Needless to say we didn't stay put. Working on the assumption that maybe this was standard practice to get you to upgrade to their "AMAZING 50% OFF PROMOTION OF THE SEASON" we complained and asked for another room. We was told that this was possible however our room would be in the Yucatan number 3136, we elected to check the room out first. The only difference I noticed was that we had no (empty) fridge and plastic furniture on our balcony, as opposed to the wicker chair and table on the balcony in room 428. After a ten hour flight I was happy with this, I was not happy to be fleeced of $250 just to become what they call "PRIVILEGED".

The "UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE" - "SPECIAL PROMOTION 50% OFF" continues throughout your holiday where you are faced with TV screens in the main bar areas telling you to upgrade as well as posters throughout the resort. You are also treated like a second class citizen as you are not aloud to use the "PRIVILEGED" beach bar or sun loungers on their "PRIVILEGED" section of the beach. If you want to eat at the Spanish tapas restaurant they will charge you $15 just for the 'privilege'. Just what you'd expect having spent £2500 for the two of you for a relaxing break where you want to be made to feel special.

The restaurant situation is a bit of a nightmare to be honest, you need to arrive at 5pm to book a reservation for that evening and not the "turn up 30 minutes before" as our holiday advisor advised us. Because of this we missed out on our first two attempts to eat at the Japanese restaurant, which to add this restaurant is probably the only highlight whilst staying here.

Now for the sun lounger situation - Be prepared to behave as if you are on holiday in Benidorm! If you want a sun lounger pretty much anywhere and together get up early! When I say get up early, I'm talking 5.30/6am because if your towel ain't down by 8am you'll be lucky to get two beds together, or worse still you'll be sat squashed between two Americans yelling at each other to get more beers from the all-inclusive pool bar. Not my idea of a holiday having to take it in turns to get up at the crack of dawn just to guarantee a space somewhere by the pool or beach. Oh hang on... Perhaps if I was "PRIVILEGED" things would be different?

Finally my LAST bug bear so far is the noise, partly from the disco and secondly from the rather intoxicated guests as they leave. The second part could be easily remedied by having a member of the hotel staff positioned to move people on as they exit the disco and onwards to their rooms, rather than letting them shout at each other like a school corridor right outside my room at 2.30am.

So to sum the whole place up with "Would I stay here again?" my answer would be "No".
"Would I recommend this hotel to a friend or relative?" Only if I really disliked them a lot.
In my opinion stay elsewhere for the same money and be treated like you are 'Privileged' as standard.

And if the hotel management read these postings... I'm still here, in room 3136 until Thursday 23rd if you'd care to get in touch.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Richie F
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Richie F,

We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We truly regret that you are not having a good time and the fact that we were unable to fulfill your expectations, we highly appreciate your opinion this is why we have been trying to contact you to your room, however, our Concierge staff has not had any luck, we kindly ask you to contact them at the Lobby Riviera thus giving us another chance to make your stay a memorable vacation,

Best regards,

Coleshill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Wanted a "do nothing holiday" and definitely had that. A very friendly hotel and although busy we still felt we had our own space. Food was good considering the amount of people they had to cater for. Christmas Eve buffet was fantastic.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 19ilovefood
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

My wife and I visited the Catalonia Riviera Maya (CRM) resort for a week in November. We have stayed at their two sister resorts, Catalonia Royal Tulum and Catalonia Playa Maroma, and Catalonia did not disappoint us on our visit to CRM. The resort has 422 rooms and is adjacent to the Catalonia Yuccatan resort so there are pools and restaurants at both resorts to enjoy.

We stayed in one of their Privilege Suites which was quite nice and provided a very enjoyable stay for us. A perk for the Privilege level is a private beach area, loungers, bar and covered area with couches and chairs to use. This area had only been open about a week when we were there and is located on the southern edge of the property. It was very convenient and nice to have this area to use while on the beach.

We ate at all the restaurants during our week stay. Their buffet restaurant is very good and has food items for everyone’s taste. On the second level above the buffet restaurant are the Mexican, Italian and Tapas restaurants. Also on the second level is an outdoor crepe restaurant just outside the other three restaurants.

Across from the buffet and next to the activity and quite pools is a nice, sit down, casual, restaurant for lunch or snacks. This restaurant transforms into the Steak House Restaurant in the evening. The Japanese restaurant is close to the lobby and it is very nice. The four show tables have seats for 12 people where food is prepared on a grill in front of everyone with a very entertaining chef. We always left the beach around 5:00 PM, showered and dressed for dinner. Restaurants opened at 6:00 or 6:30 PM and we were usually there right when they opened or shortly after and we never had to wait to eat.

All the staff members we encountered were very helpful, friendly and accommodating. There is a swim up bar in the activity pool area. Next door at the Catalonia Yuccatan is a pool bar and an air conditioned restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

The beach was long and varied. On the North was a small inlet/bay area with a beach where you can enter the water without beach shoes. Walking further South was a long boardwalk overlooking the ocean. At the Southern end of the beach was the white sand beach with lots of loungers and umbrellas. In this area entrance into the water was a little rocky for the first three feet or so. You either had to have water shoes or walk through the small rocks and then the sand was there after the rocks. We went snorkeling right in front of the resort three days while we were there. The area has small coral heads and we saw lots of fish while snorkeling. The water in the snorkeling area at it’s deepest was only 8 or 10 feet so it was fun snorkeling and very easy to do.

In the center of the beach is the water sports area where the dive shop is located and they have two Hobie cats. They have two Captains that will take you out sailing on the Hobie cats and we went sailing with them every day while we were there.

The Theater was on the second floor, down from the main lobby, with a large bar area outside. We went to the shows in the evening. They were very entertaining and most were high energy and very colorful. The professional and activity staff entertainers worked hard to provide a great show every night.

Overall, we had a great time at CRM and would recommend a week there to enjoy the great facility and helpful and caring staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,837 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!