“It was nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado
“It was nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel was vey nice, the only 2 complaints I have was the beach, it was not easy getting into the ocean. And it was hard to get into the restaurant's at night. They don't take reservations any more.
Other than that it was a great place. The staff was very nice. We had a great time

Room Tip: Upgrade your room. It is worth it.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Lotte1971
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Lotte1971,

Thank you for writing a review about your last stay with us. It is a pleasure to know that you had a good time at our facilities and services. Be sure that we will take notes of your comments to look for ways to improve in the near future; hopefully you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,034)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lake in the Hills
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I am posting this review with the letter that I sent to corporate Catalonia. I doubt I will hear anything in return, but it is worth a try!

Before you read further, I want to make sure to say this:
The entertainment staff at this resort is the only good thing that they have going for them. Suemy, Jiavani, Maracio, Olga, Maria, Javier.....you are some of the nicest, funniest and entertaining staff/people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting! These folks made our vacation for us! They are so good at what they do that they actually made us forget about the string of things that continued to go wrong! You are the gem in Catalonia Riviera Maya!!! I am sorry that I have to inform people of the bad parts of the experience!!!!!

My letter to corporate as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I wanted to send a note to the corporate office regarding my recent stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort. I think if you are going to boast a 4-star rating, you need to understand the kind of customer service that your hotel is providing.
I arrived on February the 7th, 2014 at approximately 1:30 or 2pm CST. I stayed for 9 days. When I arrived at the hotel my husband and I started our check-in process. We were registered in the privileged section of the resort, but my husband inquired about upgrading to the honeymoon suite, instead. We asked about the amenities involved and they informed us of all of the items that were included. We quickly decided to upgrade one of the rooms for my husband and myself, leaving my daughter and her boyfriend to the other privileged room.

The following items were to be included:
Honeymoon decoration
Bottle of sparkling wine & chocolate
Romantic Dinner by candle light
Couples Massage
Special Breakfast
Special gift: T-shirt
Late Check Out
Bathroom amenities
Turn down with flowers on our first night
Etc, etc.

Keep in mind that I have stayed in Riviera Maya several times at the Dreams Resorts, Princess and Secrets. The level of service that we received was absolutely fantastic at those other resorts!!! When I arrived at your resort, I anticipated that it may be a slightly lower level, understanding that it is not a 5 star resort, but did not anticipate the level of frustration that I would have.
We sat down with your concierge to book all of our breakfasts, dinner and our special amenities and went about our day. Upon arrival to the room, we were shown our bathtub balcony and told that the option they were offering us was better than on the other side because so many people would be walking by. We had no choice but to pick the one we did and it wound up facing directly across from a condo that was being refurbished with construction workers there, daily. There was no privacy by trees, bushes, nothing! It was a terrible view of nothing but a condo and for this we paid a premium!
Trying to stay positive, we went about our evening. We expected to see our room romantically dressed, chocolates and sparkling wine waiting! We arrived to see that there was no turn down service, no special gift, no champagne, chocolate or flowers. Of course, we were disappointed. We were going to call the front desk and inform them of the issue, only to find out that our phone did not work! We woke the next day to expect our breakfast and nothing arrived. We waited until about 9am when it was expected at 8:30. We quickly went to the front desk and they referred us to the concierge. We explained that we rec'd nothing that we expected and they assured us that they would provide the items that evening. They also told us that they would fix our phone.We rescheduled our breakfast for the following day and went about our day, AGAIN. On that night, we went to our romantic dinner by candle light and expected our special romantic picture that we had scheduled. Once again, our expectations were not met. The photographer never showed....We went on with our evening and planned to speak with the concierge in the morning.
At this point, my daughter had informed us that there room had flooded and that they called the front desk to inform them of the situation and no one came to clean the mess for over 2 and 1/2 hours. I spoke with the front desk and they told us they were sorry and that they would send someone. At this point, the room smelled so bad that the only solution they could offer was to freshen the room!! They eventually came to clean it, but the smell never went away. It smelled like a sewer backed up. This is absolutely unacceptable! When we complained they offered no solution, AGAIN! They only stated that they would send someone up to freshen it, again. How can you expect people to sleep in a room where it smells like sewage? I can't imagine what was on those floors. I booked 2 rooms in a privileged section of your resort and this is the treatment that we receive? I have to mention that when all of this happened, my daughter asked to have water sent to the room for their coffee pot. She was told by the staff at the front desk that she had to PAY FOR THE WATER!!! I spent how much money for a privileged room and now I have to pay for water???????????????????? You boast a mini-bar in the room in your advertisements and now I have to pay for water? And that being said, how can you possibly call it a mini-bar when you put two beers in a refrigerator a day? The refrigerator never worked, it was hot to the touch on the outside and the cabinet surrounding it was hot! The refrigerator needed servicing and no one cared about that at all, even after we told them it was broken!
As time passes, we became increasingly aware that there is not one person at the front desk that cares to help the customer. Their attitudes and their willingness to help were terrible. My husband and I went back to the concierge to let them know that we did not have a photographer come to our dinner and they told us that we had to schedule the picture ourselves with the photographer and that is why he didn't show up! We were never told this...only that he would show. Terrible attention to detail! While there, we informed them that the phone was still broken and we wanted a replacement phone, so we could communicate with our daughter in their room up the stairs.........more promises that were not kept!
On our last evening, the entertainment staff presented us with a gift certificate for a romantic dinner, thanking us for being in the shows, involved in the games, etc. They are the ONLY REDEEMING QUALITY to this resort. These very special people took the time to make us feel special and we appreciated it greatly! They felt terrible to find out that we were leaving the next day. Coincidentally, my husband and I booked a romantic dinner on the beach for Valentine's Day, that same day. We had it earlier, maybe 2 hours before we were receiving this gift. We thought that we could use this gift certificate, since it was for the same dinner we just charged to our room. NO!!! OF COURSE NOT!! After everything that was NOT delivered, they wouldn't even let us use the GC that we received for the very same dinner we had! Unbelievable is all I can say. I asked them if they could extend it for a year, in case we ever came back and again, they said no!
I plan on posting this letter to trip advisor and informing every person that I can of the service we received. Your hotel carries a big name, but when you treat people this way, word gets around. Your entertainment staff is the only thing you have going for you in the resort.

I can't say that I believe anything will come from this email, maybe only my own satisfaction in letting you know what happened. I vacation yearly and always speak highly of the places that are great. Catalonia needs to make sure that their staff is trained in customer service. They are the face of your hotel and the people that should be making things better.
I sincerely hope that I hear from you and that your hotel cares about it's reputation. It is a shame that you have such a beautiful place, wonderful people working in certain areas and the faces that greet people in this resort have to be ones that do not care! Shame on you, Catalonia!

*************End of Email

For those of you considering this resort - keep this in mind...

If you are not in the priv section, you have to pay for water in the room and to use the safe! Ridiculous - I found this out from fellow travelers....

If you are expecting a superior level of service by paying for the priv section - DON'T. This is something that they have no mastered, at all! It may be worth your money, since you have an extra meal or a some added amenities - the question is.....will you get those or will you have to beg for them.....

Room Tip: I can only say that the choice of the honeymoon suites are pretty slim. You are either facing a busy...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank savage985
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear savage985,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us as well as sending your letter to our head office, the opinion of our customers is very important for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience.
As you already know, the privileged honeymoon rooms have some special amenities as well as other facilities such as a private Lounge with coffee break, discounts on the boutique, the spa and certain romantic dinner on the beach with lobster menu , room service 24hrs, access to Pure Chill Out bar on the beach, access to Tapas (Spanish restaurant) and Bellavista restaurant for breakfast and lunch, pillow menu and a free day pass at the spa. The clients that book or upgrades to these categories have included all these services, besides the facilities in the rooms. On behalf of all the staff working in our hotel, we are deeply sorry if some of these amenities were not delivered on time and if you had certain expectations that we were not able to fulfill.

We sincerely regret the wrong impression that you received from our front desk staff, which is composed by professional and mature people who have a long experience in their job and make always their best effort to help you have a memorable vacation.
We are therefore very concerned for your comments, as it is obvious that you did not receive the level of service you were expecting from us. Be sure that all your comments have been forwarded to the persons in charge of this department.

Please be sure that all the members of our entertainment staff mentioned in your letter have known about your gratitude and impression of their hard work.

Needless to say that we hope that you decide to visit the Riviera Maya in the future and choose our property again for your vacation thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed their highest expectations and demonstrate our commitment towards our guests’ satisfaction is a reality and not mere words.

Hotel manager
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

The grounds and pools were beautiful and well maintained. The rooms were clean and comfortable with the exception of a toilet that ran, was told there was nothing they could do about that. The restaurant and bar staff were very pleasant and attentive. We were privileged but at times did not feel that we were being treated as such. We requested 2 beds and got 1 kingsize, when we asked to switch rooms, we were told the Hotel was full and they would try to accomodate us the next day, then they wanted to switch us to a room all the way on the otherside of the resort and away from the beach and pools so we declined and kept the Kingsize bed. Also, they would not accomodate early checkin or late check out. There was construction going on around the hotel during the day and at times the noise of the equipment was annoying. The beach was very rocky, unable to go in the water without water shoes. Was not able to make a reservation at any of the restaurants so had to settle for buffet at times. The food was average. Inspite of the few negative aspects, I would go back to this resort. The location was great and the resort itself was awesome. Book privileged to enjoy prefered beach seating and the Pure Chill Out Bar.

Room Tip: Upgrade to privileged to get a room that is facing the beach or a pool. There are lots of rooms that...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ellie s
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear ellie s,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

We are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.
This season is the busiest and as much as we try to acomodate all our guests requests, sometimes is not possible to do it at our best.

In order to offer a better service and facilities around the hotel, maintainence work needs to be done, we do apologise if this was an inconvenient during your stay.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

This was our first trip to Mexico, after staying in Cuba for our last few winter holidays. We were travelling in a group with two couples and one person with mobility issues. We picked this resort partially because it is smaller in size and easy to get around. If you look at other hotels in the area, they can be huge! Each of the buildings is (at most) 4 stories high, and even if you're in a room near the back of the resort, it's a 5 to 10 minute walk to the pool and beach. There are some unavoidable stairs, but also lots of ramps and elevators in the larger buildings. All in all, it is a good choice if mobility is an issue for you.

My husband and I had an amazing room on a corner with view of the pool and beach beyond so we were fine. However, upon arrival the other couple had two double beds in their room instead of the king, and the third person had the worst room at the resort directly outside the lobby shop and near the bar. Very noisy! The staff were helpful and within a few days everyone was in a room they liked. It is luck of the draw, and every room will have its pros and cons. We had a working alarm clock for instance, but the window blinds were a hilarious broken mess. My friend didn't have a clock, but she had a nice window in her bathroom. I suggest being laid back about it, and realize that a few imperfections are unavoidable. On the whole the rooms are nicely decorated, kept very clean, and (at least with the privileged upgrade), stocked with beer and drinks.

Speaking of that, it was worth it for us to get the privileged upgrade. It allows you to use a quiet a la carte restaurant (without waiting or reservations) for breakfast and lunch. It also allows you access to your own area of the beach with bean bag chairs and a lovely bar. Some of our best times were sitting at that "chill out" bar drinking cocktails from one of the great bartenders (shout out to Nazario who made me a special cocktail that quickly became my "go to" drink of choice!).

The food was good. As usual for these places, you will find dishes you like but by the end of the week you'll be looking forward to home cooked meals. The buffets are nice, with either an open air concept or more formal dining room. We compared and the food is exactly the same in both buffets, so keep that in mind if there is a line at one. We only ate at the Mexican and Japanese a la carte. Of the two, the Japanese was better.

Beach is rocky, bring water shoes. If you go to the left of the last pool and juice bar you will find an outlet that is allows you to easily enter the water. You can see fish in waist deep water so great for snorkelling! The water is warm with many sandy areas that allow you to just sit back and relax.

We used the spa for a Mayan massage and really enjoyed it. Good relaxing massage in a nice environment. We also used the spa sauna, steam room and cooling pool. We used the facilities in the order they recommend and found it a great way to rejuvenate after a few days of over indulging. Beware that the waterfall pool in the spa, while beautiful and peaceful, is also very cold!

I loved the palm frond style roofs on all the buildings. The balcony railings are also wood, so the whole place has a classic "tropical resort" style. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Kudos to the gardeners. In the morning doves would visit our balcony and fly amongst the buildings.

Take a walk, bike, taxi or golf cart to the nearby marina (15 minute walk from resort) to find dolphins, manatees, shops, bars and restaurants. It's a small area but nice for a little site seeing. You can also charter boats to take you fishing, if that's your thing. The dolphins have quite a large area to swim, so it's not depressing (I'm not a good person to take to Seaworld!)

Finally, we really enjoyed meeting some friendly fellow travellers who showed us the ropes. Some of the people we met have been vacationing here for over ten years! That's always a good sign. There was a nice cross section of ages and backgrounds at the resort. There were plenty of retired people, young families with kids, singles and couples. I heard so many different languages. Yes, there were some loud and abrasive drunk people around, but what all inclusive won't have that? There are multiple pools and beaches, so it's easy to simply move if the crowd gets too loud. As with rooms it is sort of a crap shoot who will be in the resort when you go. I felt, however, that the resort had a more relaxed family vibe, and was not encouraging a party atmosphere. It was a great place for our family vacation, and I would gladly return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cassyroo
Dear Cassyroo,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

As a first time all inclusive trip, this one the beat all expectations! Wow! The staff acknowledged us every time they contact you, whether passing in the hall, cleaning or waiting tables! Superb! They clean constantly, and all staff try to speak English. They love Canadians! The entertainers in the comedy club also do all activities at the pool. Those kids are non stop. I wondered if they work 12 hours a day? But they are funny and make the whole week fun. Hope they get paid well.
Tip tip tip.....c'mon people!!! Look around you, we noticed more people not tipping than ones that were. We spent about $200 cdn. And was well worth it.
Only complaints: -we saved one a la carte dinner for our special valentines dinner-dressed up nice, went early to get a table, only to find a sign saying that restaurant was closed for a wedding!
No other signs at any other time to warn of this. That made me cry.
When I got over that, we made up for it the next night, but would have been good to get a warning!
-we never got our welcome package in our room, which included a bottle of tequila. We asked 5 times and were told it would be delivered to our room. Still waiting. I hope they will send it to our home...haha
- wifi was weak in spots, and television reception was awful (wouldn't normally care, but missed the Olympics), the staff said someone would fix the tv, and never did.

Room Tip: The buildings are all 3 stories. We had a floor room, facing the pools. You would see the ocean if i...
Dear Kidbd7,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I have all your comments and be sure that we are working to improve our service and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Wallingford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

All very nice. We booked via Thomson in the UK last minute. Whatever we booked included the "Privileged" element so not sure how to evaluate the value of upgrading if it was not included.

All very clean, staff great, food & drink absolutely fine in all locations, etc etc. Scuba had a good team. A really nice break.

Room Tip: No tip as such but I guess there is always the chance you could end up in one of the few rooms that...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank A_W_M-GB
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear AM
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us.

We feel very proud and glad to hear such nice comments from our guests, It is great to know that you had a good holiday with us. We definitely hope to see you again soon, it will be our pleasure to welcome once again!

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel and staff are absolutely first class. The food and amenities are also excellent with a good choice of quality food. The hotel is immaculately clean and the setting is idyllic.
Unfortunately the hotel has no control over the type of guests it attracts. It is plagued by armies of young, loud, brash Americans and Canadians. They are not content with using the plastic glasses at the the all inclusive bars. They all carry large insulated pots containing a variety of Vodka based cocktails which are constantly replenished until the incumbent is unable to walk and has to be carried back to their room, supported by equally alcohol fuelled friends and all in the presence of young families.
I realise that this is the holiday they have chosen, but if this is the type of guest the hotel wishes to attract and entertain with a total disregard to responsible drinking, having sex on the beach and urinating in the sand then I suggest a health warning should be placed in the brochure.
Be warned that the blocks of rooms look very similar and during the early hours of the morning, in their very drunken state, banging on your door is not unusual as they endeavour to find their cave. I still have another week and a half to go !!

Room Tip: I do not think you will get a choice and all areas would appear to have large groups of drunken Amer...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank s1mbh
Dear s1mbh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.
We are disappointed of the impression you may have of the hotel. I would like to assure that non of this behavior is tolerated in the hotel and our Security Staff do their best to prevent and control the type of incidents you mentioned.

We kindly ask you to contact our Concierge staff for any assistance in order to make the rest of your holiday enjoyable and relaxing.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,833 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!