“We won't be back”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I recently spent 7 days at the Catalonia. Thank God the weather was awesome and ocean waters were great and we met some AWESOME people from Canada. Our room looked like it was the product of a bar room brawl. Our door was split right down the middle and you could see through it when shut, not to mention you had to close it carefully so it wouldn't come apart. (NOT SAFE). Receptacles were punched in, something was splattered all over the closet doors in large amounts, sliding door curtains were hanging off the wall and couldn't be shut unless you stood on a chair and played with them. When I asked for washcloths and a bath mat and some soap I was told I couldn't have any. I was told to use the pump soap hanging on the shower wall, however everyone else got bars of soap, so I helped myself to some when I found a cart. What hotel won't give to towels and soap???? The water actually shut off while all lathered in the shower, it did come on but you never knew. They came to our room asking to come in to count our towels numerous times ( with a broken door made it easy for them to just open and come in while changing in the room). Never got beach towel cards when we checked in and trying to get towels was not pleasant. Each guest is supposed to get a free bottle of water in their room and then you have to refill it yourself at the bar if you want more, WE didn't get any so we had to buy ours. When we mentioned all the issues with our room we were told we needed to pay for an upgrade because nothing else was available. ( I already booked a room in the Riveria side so why should I pay more) ??? We were put in the Yukatan side. Three days later they left a letter in our room asking us to consider moving to one of their other resorts because we found out they were expecting a group of 90 and they didn't reserve enough rooms for them. The group was not happy because they didn't want to be split among a couple resorts either, I don't blame them. The front desk gentleman was rude and could care less.
Food in the buffet was very good, but keeping the food replenished was a bit of a problem. The issues with not accepting reservations was a problem for everyone, because you could be waiting in line for an hour before they opened to get the first seating and if you miss the cut by 2 people you have to wait all over again and hope to get in, (we had a friend who was willing to shower earlier, take a book and go save us a spot in line a couple times, but we decided that's not fair to him) that's when we became good friends with the buffet, it was a little easier to be seated and there was a good variety of food, only issue was replenishing it. there were a lot of railings that were broken and taped off along the walkways to the rooms, (floors up) but no one repairing them and the elevators were broken ( when you have a walking problem this is not good). The privileged section made you feel like you weren't good enough the way they roped it off, especially on the beach! Looking forward to our next vacation to Mexico which we do twice a year, however it won't be back here!

6  Thank Terri-pa
Write a ReviewReviews (9,437)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

wife and i went in February 2014 for a quick get away from South Dakota winter. We had a great time and only wished we would have booked a longer stay. Upgraded to a honeymoon suite and received some other extras also. Breakfast in bed, fruit & wine basket one evening, a nice evening dinner & a couples massage all for about $100 USD. Staff was great, food was good, bars were fun. Met lots of fun people and had many laughs. Would go back again!!

Room Tip: take an upgrade if offered
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank RZ4
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear RZ4

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

It is great to know that you are having a good time and enjoy our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I visited the Catalonia Riviera Maya with my boyfriend on February 22-28 and overall we had a nice time. There were highs and lows of the trip so I'll start with the negatives:

-The service at the buffet restaurants was lacking. Often there would be a large line of people waiting at the entrance for a seat, and there would be numerous tables open, but with only one hostess, it took a very long time to seat everyone. They were very understaffed and we often were never asked for drink orders, or if we were, they never brought them to us. If you wanted water, you had to hope the water machine was working, which it often wasn't. Myself and several other guests helped ourselves to water behind the bar by leaning over it and filling our own water bottles since there was no one to assist us. When I went up to a waiter with my glass in hand and asked for water, which he was holding a pitcher of, he seemed offended and would not pour me water, but instead asked me where my table was so he could bring some over. I told him, but he never brought it over. Overall just a pain to get service.
-The process for going to the a la carte restaurants at night was horrible. It was by far the worst I've ever seen in the Japanese restaurant. When they opened, there was a crowd of about 50 people all fighting about who was there first, practically pushing and shoving each other to try to get in first and not have to wait hours to eat. I truly thought there would be a physical fight based on the way some people were acting. If the restaurant simply had a "take a number" at the door, it would avoid the guests having to worry about what order they arrived at the restaurant and crowding around the hostess stand to put their name in before the people next to them.
-The amount of people who reserve beach chairs was annoying.
-There is yellow caution tape over a lot of the balconies. It definitely doesn't make me feel safe and looks really bad. I noticed they didn't seem to have an urgency in fixing it either.

The positives:

-The food was very good at the a la carte restaurants (almost made the waiting worth it!) and the staff was very friendly for the most part.
-Unlike other reviewers, we really enjoyed the night entertainment, although it was definitely geared towards teenagers and up most nights, so keep that in mind if you have little ones!
-There is a lot to do at the resort, and you can easily spend a week there without needing to leave. Lots of pools, so they are never too crowded, and a really nice lagoon area with excellent snorkeling and calm warm water.
-The resort was very clean and well-kept.
-Really good desserts! Make sure to try the mousse at the buffet.
-The community that surrounds the resort is very nice and you can feel very safe there as it is a gated community with security that lets people in and out. You can catch the collectivo right out the front gate to get to Tulum or anywhere else along the main drag.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are quiet. We didn't upgrade to a privileged suite because we didn't s...
5  Thank tarantular50
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This resort is very good food is fine most of the time .staff are brilliant very hard workers . The dive center is fantastic did our Padi there with Suzi and Stefan great people would I go back yes but in low season it was very busy in February

Room Tip: Try this place in low season too busy in high season
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank yogiblair
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My daughter and I had a wonderful time at the Catalonia. From the moment we checked in, everyone was so friendly and helpful. Our room was clean - we didn't upgrade as we new we would be spending very little time actually in the room - but have no complaints about the comfort. We thought the food was delicious and so many choices in the buffets. My daughter loved the morning custom made omellettes, and I loved that fish was an option at all the meals. The Japanese restaurant was our favourite. Ask for Jose's table :). The entertainment staff were a blast, and really got all the visitors laughing and connecting with each other. Special thanks to Olga, Mauricio, and Javier for all the laughs! We would definitely recommend this resort to our friends, and hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the disco if you like to turn in before 2am.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Carol S
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Carol S,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that your daughter and you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

We certainly hope too that you will decide to visit us again in the future, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We first stayed at this hotel years ago when it was called the Chameleon Marival. We enjoyed it then and enjoyed it again this time.

A few negatives:
When we checked in after a long flight they had no room for us (overbooked?). This was the same for 3 other couples. After a lot of delay (2.5 hours) we were shipped off to another hotel nearly an hour away for the night. This seemed to happen regularly. (Our travel agent was horrified). The manager said that the taxi each way to the other hotel would be paid for by Catalonia Yucatan, but when we returned the next day they did not seem to want to pay the driver. After my wife put her foot down they eventually paid for the taxi. The reception check in etc.needs a major overhaul. One hand does not seem to know what the other hand was doing. Even on the day of checkout they could not find the voucher we had given them the day we checked in (having asked us for it twice during our stay and then saying don't worry).
The room was as good as we expected but we had problems with the toilet tank filler not shutting off and the safe did not work. The guy who came to repair the safe only brought four batteries instead of five, so he used one of the old ones, which will be a problem for someone soon.
There needs to be some control with people near the pool bar outside El Mercator. They were still making a lot of noise at 1 am, which is a problem if your room is close by.
The signs saying that beach and pool chairs cannot be reserved is a joke. It is totally ignored, People come down at 5.30 am and put their towels on the chairs

The food is as good as always and while there sometimes lines at the restaurants it's not too hard to get in to them. Be prepared to change plans and go to one of the other restaurants if the line is too long. Or go earlier.
The staff, other than the reception staff, we found excellent. Very cheerful and nothing was too much trouble for them, even trying to teach us some Spanish.
We would definitely come back. We love the town of Puerto Aventuras and the marina.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are great, try to get a second or third floor room and not too close to the bar.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ilanda
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Me, my son, my dad and my brother went. We had two adjoining rooms on the ground floor. My father has mobility issues and the place was perfect for him and his walker. The size of the resort was perfect. By the second day everyone knew us and I pretty much let my son run free and my dad felt safe as well. The staff is amazing. They are friendly and helpful. I was so sad to leave. Also added things like having a featured fruit/veggie every morning where they talked about healing properties and what it was good for and then had a juice or some other dish featuring that fruit/veggie. I can't say enough about this place. The views were amazing. A couple nights we lied on chairs on the beach and listened to the waves while staring at the stars. There were lots of activities. The food was amazing! I ate so many fresh salads and fruit. I have celiac (no gluten) and that didn't stop me from enjoying amazing food. I WILL be back!

• Stayed: March 2014
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Reso...
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!