My husband and I recently spent 7 days at the Catalonia. Thank God the weather was awesome and ocean waters were great and we met some AWESOME people from Canada. Our room looked like it was the product of a bar room brawl. Our door was split right down the middle and you could see through it when shut, not to mention you had to close it carefully so it wouldn't come apart. (NOT SAFE). Receptacles were punched in, something was splattered all over the closet doors in large amounts, sliding door curtains were hanging off the wall and couldn't be shut unless you stood on a chair and played with them. When I asked for washcloths and a bath mat and some soap I was told I couldn't have any. I was told to use the pump soap hanging on the shower wall, however everyone else got bars of soap, so I helped myself to some when I found a cart. What hotel won't give to towels and soap???? The water actually shut off while all lathered in the shower, it did come on but you never knew. They came to our room asking to come in to count our towels numerous times ( with a broken door made it easy for them to just open and come in while changing in the room). Never got beach towel cards when we checked in and trying to get towels was not pleasant. Each guest is supposed to get a free bottle of water in their room and then you have to refill it yourself at the bar if you want more, WE didn't get any so we had to buy ours. When we mentioned all the issues with our room we were told we needed to pay for an upgrade because nothing else was available. ( I already booked a room in the Riveria side so why should I pay more) ??? We were put in the Yukatan side. Three days later they left a letter in our room asking us to consider moving to one of their other resorts because we found out they were expecting a group of 90 and they didn't reserve enough rooms for them. The group was not happy because they didn't want to be split among a couple resorts either, I don't blame them. The front desk gentleman was rude and could care less.
Food in the buffet was very good, but keeping the food replenished was a bit of a problem. The issues with not accepting reservations was a problem for everyone, because you could be waiting in line for an hour before they opened to get the first seating and if you miss the cut by 2 people you have to wait all over again and hope to get in, (we had a friend who was willing to shower earlier, take a book and go save us a spot in line a couple times, but we decided that's not fair to him) that's when we became good friends with the buffet, it was a little easier to be seated and there was a good variety of food, only issue was replenishing it. there were a lot of railings that were broken and taped off along the walkways to the rooms, (floors up) but no one repairing them and the elevators were broken ( when you have a walking problem this is not good). The privileged section made you feel like you weren't good enough the way they roped it off, especially on the beach! Looking forward to our next vacation to Mexico which we do twice a year, however it won't be back here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Mexico - Puerto Aventuras