We just returned from our stay at this resort July 10-14th. My boyfriend and I traveled with my cousin and her friend. We requested rooms close to each other at booking (thru Cheap Caribbean) and did not get this request granted. Check-in was kind of irritating, partially due to us arriving at 1 and rooms not ready til 3, and partially due to the people in front of us that were being difficult and making everyone else wait. While waiting to check in, we ate at one of the buffets and booked our return transfer to the airport. At 3 we went to get our room keys and our room was "upgraded" for free to an ocean view room at the Yucutan resort. My cousins room wasn't ready yet, although the guy told her he just got off the phone with the maid and she was in the room cleaning it right then but couldn't tell me what room number it was...odd?? About 10 minutes later he found out the room # and it was no where close to ours (one at each of the separate "sister" resorts). We went to our room which did have a nice view, but the elevator was out and it was on the 4th floor. Our bell boy took our luggage for us so we tipped him because it was quite a walk! We did not have a shower curtain or coffee maker...no biggie I guess. The main complaint about the room was the noise. We could hear everything out side and it truly sounded like someone was either trying to get in our room, knocking on our door, or actually in our bathroom several times especially at night. Luckily I brought sleeping pills which helped a little. The air conditioner worked very good which made it nice. Wi-Fi was spotty and my kindle wouldn't even pick it up, but my boyfriends phone would at times. You have to get a password from the front desk to access it.
We were able to eat the 2/4 a la carte restaurants and we did the Mexican place the first night and Italian the 2nd. We were seated fairly soon upon arriving (about 6:30 both nights) but it took over an hour at both places to get our food, which wasn't spectacular. The views were beautiful though. Got to eat once at the creperie which was delicious!! Recommend the strawberry/banana crepe and the moka milkshake...so good!! The rest of our meals were at the Bomboleo snack bar or the buffets. The nicer buffet (El Mercado?) was my favorite. It was a lot easier to navigate the food bars than the one that is right at the bottom of the bridge down from reception area. The swim up bars had great service and bartenders were so friendly, and the bar.. El Abuleo?...that is up by the theater has great bloody marys and a nice atmosphere with music around 8:30 every night. My cousin and her friend went to the shows at the theater every night @ 9:30 and liked them all. We went to the participation night which was hilarious.
I recommend water shoes to get in the ocean although I am the only one in our group that had them and the others just swam out over the rocks. Definitely check out the beach/bay area that is on the other side of the snack bar/juice hut... it is a lot quieter and has no rocks to get into the water. Snorkeling over there is fun too!! Advice...get to beach early if you want a chair in the shade/under a hut. At least throw a towel over your chairs to "save" them. Nobody bothered any of our stuff if we left it there to get drinks or swim for a bit. If you want to go on a boat ride you have to get there early to reserve one for the day... Snorkel gear and kayak stuff is free, although I brought my own mask and snorkel and underwater camera.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Expedia, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Mexico - Puerto Aventuras