“Trying not to be picky..”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Trying not to be picky..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just returned from our stay at this resort July 10-14th. My boyfriend and I traveled with my cousin and her friend. We requested rooms close to each other at booking (thru Cheap Caribbean) and did not get this request granted. Check-in was kind of irritating, partially due to us arriving at 1 and rooms not ready til 3, and partially due to the people in front of us that were being difficult and making everyone else wait. While waiting to check in, we ate at one of the buffets and booked our return transfer to the airport. At 3 we went to get our room keys and our room was "upgraded" for free to an ocean view room at the Yucutan resort. My cousins room wasn't ready yet, although the guy told her he just got off the phone with the maid and she was in the room cleaning it right then but couldn't tell me what room number it was...odd?? About 10 minutes later he found out the room # and it was no where close to ours (one at each of the separate "sister" resorts). We went to our room which did have a nice view, but the elevator was out and it was on the 4th floor. Our bell boy took our luggage for us so we tipped him because it was quite a walk! We did not have a shower curtain or coffee maker...no biggie I guess. The main complaint about the room was the noise. We could hear everything out side and it truly sounded like someone was either trying to get in our room, knocking on our door, or actually in our bathroom several times especially at night. Luckily I brought sleeping pills which helped a little. The air conditioner worked very good which made it nice. Wi-Fi was spotty and my kindle wouldn't even pick it up, but my boyfriends phone would at times. You have to get a password from the front desk to access it.
We were able to eat the 2/4 a la carte restaurants and we did the Mexican place the first night and Italian the 2nd. We were seated fairly soon upon arriving (about 6:30 both nights) but it took over an hour at both places to get our food, which wasn't spectacular. The views were beautiful though. Got to eat once at the creperie which was delicious!! Recommend the strawberry/banana crepe and the moka milkshake...so good!! The rest of our meals were at the Bomboleo snack bar or the buffets. The nicer buffet (El Mercado?) was my favorite. It was a lot easier to navigate the food bars than the one that is right at the bottom of the bridge down from reception area. The swim up bars had great service and bartenders were so friendly, and the bar.. El Abuleo?...that is up by the theater has great bloody marys and a nice atmosphere with music around 8:30 every night. My cousin and her friend went to the shows at the theater every night @ 9:30 and liked them all. We went to the participation night which was hilarious.
I recommend water shoes to get in the ocean although I am the only one in our group that had them and the others just swam out over the rocks. Definitely check out the beach/bay area that is on the other side of the snack bar/juice hut... it is a lot quieter and has no rocks to get into the water. Snorkeling over there is fun too!! Advice...get to beach early if you want a chair in the shade/under a hut. At least throw a towel over your chairs to "save" them. Nobody bothered any of our stuff if we left it there to get drinks or swim for a bit. If you want to go on a boat ride you have to get there early to reserve one for the day... Snorkel gear and kayak stuff is free, although I brought my own mask and snorkel and underwater camera.

Room Tip: Our room had a door connecting to another room so maybe that is why it was so loud. We did not upgr...
4 Thank Stephanie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Maybe we just had bad luck... My boyfriend and I booked our trip through Expedia, and booked a standard garden view room. Upon check-in, the front desk let us know that we could upgrade for $50 a night, and the upgrade would include an upgraded view, room service, and a few other amenities. We decided to upgrade and were charged for the upgrade for our entire stay.

We were taken to our room and immediately I went to check out the upgraded view. I opened the balcony curtain and found myself looking at a building and a parking lot. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call that an upgrade from a garden view. Right away we asked for another room, and they took us to another room, with a garden view. Ugh. At this point we had been traveling for nearly 24 hours so we just took the room, which I'm pretty sure was also a standard room, which we supposedly upgraded from. #1 and #2 upgrades we didn't receive.

Later, we found out the phone in the room didn't work. We told the front desk right away. They said somebody would be out to fix it on Monday (the day before we left). Awesome. Guess what? Nobody ever came to fix it, so we had no phone the entire stay. So no room service for us. #3 upgrade we didn't receive.

Next we found out our room was right next to the housekeeping closet, so we could hear them go in and out at all hours, especially early in the morning. We could hear them clearly, so we knew they could hear us, so no privacy. I don't know about you, but if I'm paying an extra $50 a night for an upgraded room, I wouldn't expect to be right next to a housekeeping closet. #4 upgrade we didn't receive.

Then we realized the ceiling light/fan fixture was broken. We told the front desk, they said somebody would be by to fix it. Know what happened? You guessed it, nobody ever came and fixed it!

When we went to check out, we asked for our money back for the upgrade. Seems reasonable right? The guy at the front desk was rude, and told us we should have told them all these problems from the beginning. Um, well they must have terrible communication issues, because I blatantly said that we told them of each and every problem the moment we found out. He refused to refund us (they must have a credit card machine that can only take money from you and not give it back, huh interesting), and told us we had to write a letter to corporate and they would snail-mail it there, all the way to Barcelona, Spain. Once someone received the letter, they would email me and try to resolve the problem.

So I wrote the lengthy letter, and hoped that he would actually put it in the mail, and that it would actually make it all the way across the world. Well I also took it upon myself to send an email to corporate. It has been a week a half, and I have not received a reply to my email. I guess they don't care about customer service in Spain.

Aside from the upgrade problems, and the rude front desk, the food was AWESOME and the drinks were AWESOME. The wait staff was also great. Only problem is drinks are slow when you order them at dinner. Also, the wi-fi is extremely slow.

So my advice, DON'T UPGRADE. Or at least make sure you'll get what you pay for, before you pay for it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sophia B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in November 2013. We initially booked just for a holiday but then we decided to get married while we were there. I managed to aarrange it all over email which took alot of stress away an it was all arranged within 8 weeks (we decided to get married 10 weeks before we went) After a long day travelling, we arrived at the hotel to find a lot of disgruntled guests at the check in desk. They were clearly angry about something but were speaking in a different language so were unable to understand what was going on. After standing around for a while we were ushered to the lobby bar and told to get a drink. They then told us that they had overbooked the hotel and the whole first choice group- there was about 20 of us altogether, would have to go to a different hotel for 2 nights until they had rooms for us. As you can imagine we were all extremely angry and upset by this as we were all over tired and it was a terrible start to the holiday. Also we were due to have our pre wedding meeting the following day at the hotel. They arranged taxis for us all and said that they would pay gor our taxi to come back for our meeting and to go back to tthe other hotel. Eventually after all having to wait for deperate taxis we arrived at the Barcelo which was 5* and amazing but as it wasn't the hotel we had booked for we felt unable to settle in or unpack as we knew we would be moving again. The following day we booked a taxi bback to catalonia for our meeting and when we arrived and explained that they were supposed to pay for our taxi they had no idea what we were talking about. The guy who had been on the previous night had clearly not passed the message on and it took us 10 minutes to try and explain with an angry taxi driver stood there becoming more and more irate. Eventually they paid him and we headed to one of the bars to get a drink as we were early after sorting out our photography package which had taken much less time than we'd expected. However at the bar they refused to serve us as we had different bands on and due to the language barrier they couldn't understand us and just kept telling us we had to buy a day pass. Eventually they called security over and all of the other guests in the bar were starting to look at us so i ended up walking off in tears. When you're getting married ypu expect that you're going to be made to feel special and not like a criminal. At that point the wedding coordinator caught up with us and apologised before taking us to the guest services office. She offerred us coffee but didn't offer to get us a drink from the bar which is obviously what we'd wanted and needed even more after our treatment. We sorted through the details and i asked if we could have a room with a balcony and not be on the ground floor which was my only request and she said she'd see what she could do. After 2 days we returned to the catalonia to stay and again we had the same problem with the taxi payments. They told us all that our rooms wouldn't be ready for a few hours but allowed us to leave our luggage to be taken up and our bands were put on. I again asked to not have a ground floor room and was assured that I didn't have one. This is where I have to say the hotel really stepped up. Due to our inconveniences so far, they upgraded us all to privileged bands, meaning we had access to the chill out bar free room service, mini bar, turn down service and nice comfy sun loungers at the chill out bar. We also got loads of vouchers for the a la carte restaraunts and spa
vouchers. We finally headed to our room and we had been given a dark ground floor room that felt like we were in the basesment. That was the final straw for me and I went straight back to reception. To give them their due they changed our room straight away with no hassle and this one I was much happier with. We were on the second floor with a lovely view of the lagoon and the sea from the balcony. We also had a fruit basket and bottle of champagne in our room and they allowed us to keep the ones from the first room
aswell. This is about all I can criticise about the holiday because after the initial nightmare we had the rest of our time was brilliant and the wedding went without a hitch. I had my hair and make up done in the salon in the spa and she did a fantastic job although didn't speak to me once or ask anything about the wedding or even wish me good luck. Luckily I had a few friends with me who we'd met out there but originally I would have been by myself so that would have been a miserable few hours on what is supposed to be the happiest day of your life. The rest of the hol was fab though and despite us thinking at first that it was going to be awful we couldn't have had a better time. And actually I have to say the over booking turned out to be the best thing that could have happened as we spent every day at the chill out bar and couldn't imagine not having it and we used the room service a few times aswell such as the morning after the wedding and we had been talking about upgrading anyway before we arrived. I would advise upgrading because its definately worth it. The food is also fab and I could have happily eaten in the buffet restaraunt every day. Overall this turned out to be an amazing holiday an we can't wait to go back for one of our anniversaries in the future.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank emlouwilliams
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel is very nice, the place is a paradise, but the beach is small and water with many rocks. The rooms are spacious and clean and the room service is good. The attention of the staff is very good and sufficient and varied food at the normal restaurants. There are some good restaurants in the resort but you have to stand in line and wait to get place. In 10 days in the hotel we could dine in only 2 of the 5 restaurants. Another aspect is the distance from Playa del Carmen town where you can shop that is 20 minutes by car. Anyway my wife and I will be pleased to return to the hotel again if we have another chance.

Room Tip: Choose a room far from the swiming pools and restaurants.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jorgeben
Franklin, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had the most wonderful time at Catalonia!! My husband and I, as well as 2 other couples, traveled together and stayed 7 nights. We traveled close to our anniversaries, so we opted for the Honeymoon package when we booked, which meant we were privileged, were in a honeymoon room, and had several "extras" such as a couples massage, honeymoon dinner, etc. The resort is in Puerto Adventuras, a gated community. Felt very safe. Marina is a short walk from the resort.

Our transfer to the hotel was as booked. We booked through USA Transfers, 6 people total, round trip - $130 total. Great experience to and from resort. On time, no problems.

Our check in was as quick as it could be, information was explained and then the bellhop assisted us to our rooms. We had a welcome drink when we got there.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Really, nothing bad to say at all. You have access to the sister resort. Our room was beautiful - although not huge. But, we were hardly in our rooms. We were there to prepare for dinner and to sleep. We had different decorations on our bed with flower petals daily. We also had a plunge pool on our balcony. Nice shower with rainfall shower head. The resort in overall was beautiful. Well kept, lots of pretty flowers. There was constantly staff cleaning the walkways, trimming flowers, cleaning pools, etc. The resort, between the Riviera Maya and Yucatan, is rather spread out. The beach was clean, there is also a nice lagoon. The beach part is rather rocky as others have said, so water shoes are a must if you want to go into the ocean. The entertainment staff is great - always something going on. My girlfriends and I did the zumba, aquagym, and dance lessons almost daily. We didn't make it to the nightly entertainment in the theater every night, but the ones we did make it to were fun. Kayaks and snorkeling equipment, as well as bikes are available for your use for an hour daily, for no charge.

Depending on the number of nights you say, you are entitled to so many dinners at a "themed" restaurant. We were there 7 nights, so we had 4 themed nights, as well as 1 extra at tapas, which was part of our honeymoon package. We enjoyed every restaurant. The food was great, and presented nicely. There are also 2 buffets, and some of the themed restaurants open for breakfast/lunch for sit down meals. My favorite meals were from Tapas and Italian, although loved all of them. Japanese was a lot of fun. The buffets were also good, with lots of choices.

The spa was so nice. We really enjoyed our couples massage, and the girls decided to book a holistic massage for the next day. We had access to the steam room, sauna, hydrating pool. Very nice and relaxing. The guys of the group walked to the marina and booked a fishing trip for themselves. They had a great time, caught some big mahi mahi.

We did go off of the resort for an excursion. We visited the ruins of Tulum and also went to Aktun Chen and snorkeled in the cenotes. We had booked this prior to our trip through Cancun-Discounts and everything went as planned. It was a great day of fun!

Part of the privileged package included the Pure Chill Out Bar...nice and relaxing, right on the beach. Juan, the bartender there, was loved by all of us. We enjoyed all of the many bars we went to on the resort. Good drinks, lots to choose from.

Overall, we had a fantastic time. We've traveled to St. Lucia and Puerto Rico, and this has been our favorite. Do your research - as I did. I knew what to expect and had no surprises. There was a couple there who made a fuss - loudly - at dinner, about the expensive bottles of wine not being included, and how they felt entitled to visit whichever restaurant, whenever they wanted. Its clearly stated you get one visit for each. And yes, bottles of pricey wine are not included. But you can get your wine by the glass without problem, included. The restaurants are first come, first serve. No reservations. They open at 6pm. We were there by 6:30 or 7 and never had to wait more than 45 minutes or so, and that was just a couple times. Only things I found my friends and I saying is that we would have liked the music to be a little louder by the pools through the day - that's our personal preference, but not a complaint. The staff was incredible. Everyone was so nice, always met you with a smile and a hello. They worked hard, non stop. We couldn't have asked for better. Weather was perfect, hot and humid, rained for like 20 minutes on our transfer back to the airport. This review is rather long. But prior to our trip, I valued the information I found in the reviews. So - thought I would put it all out there :)

12 Thank AndiShea
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The grounds are beautiful, the beach to water area is rocky so you do need water shoes. Snorkeling in the lagoon was very pleasant, with lots of fish to see. Easy and safe walking in the gated community. We only had a couple of concerns, none of which had anything to do with the resort, the humidity at this time of the year, but we wanted to swim with the whale sharks so had no real choice about when to go, definitely worth it, absolutely amazing. The other was some rude Americans who seem to think that the resort rules don't apply to them, especially the rules for the themed restaurants, it's a first come first severed system then they take a short wait list but you must remain in the waiting area, that is the resort policy which is clearly disclosed, if you don't agree with it then choose another resort, I was pleased to see the restaurant staff adhered to the policy and didn't give in to the demands. All 5 themed restaurants were very good, the main complaints I had read seemed to be about the Mexican one, we had a lovely meal there but we aren't Mexican food experts. The other issue we had was people who don't tip, the staff work very hard and never seem to stop and many people just got up and walked away without leaving even a couple of dollars, yes it's all inclusive but those tips make a difference to the staff. The privileged beach area wasn't well monitored and a number of people who shouldn't have been in the area set them selves up for the day, but we were pleased to see that the pure chill out bar staff didn't serve them drinks, it should be policed better and people asked to leave who aren't entitled to be there. We did the Tulum tour and Akumul turtle snorkeling tours, which we enjoyed, but inhind sight we could of done the tours independently for a 1/3 of the price. Husband went fishing from El Sid marina and caught a very large blue marlin, one more off his life list, what an experience. We will definitely return to the resort, hopefully at Christmas, thank you Catalonia Riviera Maya for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in privileged block 7, while not a huge room, it had a king size very comfortable bed and...
4 Thank 3Flyaways
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is our second stay (family of 4). Our first stay was 2 years ago, for a week in the Privileged Suite. This time we opted for the basic room based on the good deal we got on expedia, and because we wanted to spend only 3 days in Puerto Aventuras before spending a week at the hotel zone up north. Talk about roughing it!

Check in went a bit rough. We pulled up, and unloaded all of our luggage. We walked up to the lobby and were told that we had to check in at the Other lobby, which meant we had to wheel our luggage to the other lobby. At check in, we were offered 3 different upgrades (15, 25, and 35 dollars per person per night). We declined even though it was a bit confusing as at first it sounded like it was per night. After experiencing both extremes, I'd recommend upgrading to the Privileged if you are staying over 3 nights. We didn't upgrade due to the short length of our stay and because we received 2 a la carte dinners for our 3 nights anyway, and that is all I really cared about. By the way, if you really want to get in for dinner, just show up at 5:45, and you'll be guaranteed to get the first seating.

This is solely a review on the basic room only because I've already reviewed the suite. I will list all of the things that the basic room does ***NOT*** include, in comparison to the upgraded rooms:
turndown service
bathrobes or slippers
jacuzzi tub in balcony
alarm clock
ceiling fan, ac is noisy - bring earplugs
mini bar (they only include 1-2 water bottles) You can always refill bottles at the pool bars.
safe is $3 per day. to use it, you need a little tool that you must get at the front desk
coffee maker (they do have coffee to-go at the entrance of the breakfast buffets)

Also, the basic rooms are in desperate need of remodeling - the sink faucet splashed everywhere every time we used it.

Overall, my opinion of this hotel as a whole hasn't changed much since my last review, (The beach is rocky, but great for snorkeling, and the a la carte restaurants are fantastic) except for the following:
The service at the Mercado has declined significantly. The hostess and servers do not communicate well. Sometimes the hostess would tell us to seat anywhere we'd like. As soon as we were about to sit down, a server would ask us to seat somewhere else. Our plates were not picked up, sometimes we'd have to stack a few before they'd get picked up. I noticed the waiters would sometimes avoid eye contact to avoid serving our drinks. One time, the server snapped at me for using my wine glass for juice. (OOPS - sorry! I was thirsty and no one had brought us water) We make it a habit to tip, but we just saved our breakfast tip and gave it to the bartenders, since their attitude was so much better!

Another thing. The glow in the dark show has erotic undertones and is not family friendly.

Warning: one parking lot is under construction, so if you have a rental car, the only parking is on the Yucatan side, at it's tight! Plus, they have many piles of bricks partially blocking the entry way to the lot entrance.

Overall, the Catalonia is a great value, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Catalonia Playa Maroma
Catalonia Playa Maroma
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,765 reviews

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!