“You get what you pay for!!!”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

If you upgrade to "Privileged" you may have a more pleasant experience in terms of nicer rooms, better beach chairs, and access to two premium liquor bars....but I can't say for certain because I was an "underprivileged" guest and was restricted to those areas of the resort...and reminded of that often.

ROOMS: The standard garden rooms with a balcony have a decent view of the one pool area, but are lacking in terms of amenities inside. Dirty beat up doors, paint splattered closet mirrors, no alarm clock, one outlet (in the bathroom), and concrete beds covered in a sheet and one thin plain white blanket. When I removed my shoes upon arrival the white ceramic floors were covered in gritty sand. The walls and floors are paper thin and every movement can be heard by your neighbors. Luckily I stayed with a group of girlfriends so privacy in "that way" wasn't an issue.

FOOD: We stayed for 3 nights and were limited to 2 evenings of the nicer sit down restaurants. There are two buffets an indoor and an open air which seemed to serve similar choices. The food wasn't replenished as quick as it should have been and the stations where someone was preparing fresh food took a long time. My one friend waited at least 20-30 minutes for grilled chicken that she never got. We ate at the Italian restaurant and that was good. Our other choice was the Mexican and that was average. If you're looking for spicy "American Mexican" you may not enjoy this, but even knowing this the quality and presentation left much to be desired.

BEACH: Please DO NOT attempt unless you have water shoes. The rocks are dangerous!!! However, there was a BEAUTIFUL lagoon area with soft white sand to enjoy. The downside of the lagoon area is no bar nearby and back and forth jet-ski activity trying to get you to rent.

SERVICE: Several times I had to clear my own empty plate from my table at the buffet. We found one GREAT bartender (Manuel at the Tequila Bar) the others were mostly average, but a few just plain awful. No staff walking around taking orders.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank MrsDudley2002
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear MrsDudley2002,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Riviera Maya for your recent vacations.

We are very sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

We will pass your comments to the proper departments and we promise that for your next stay we will show you that we have improved our services.

See you soon :)

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Riviera Maya

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Catalonia is a very nice resort. The grounds are beautiful. the restaurants are very well kept. We upgraded and Loved it. the room was beautiful, we don't spend much time in our room, but it was very nice when we got back at night. Yes the water is rocky, you do need water shoes, but once your out in the water it's okay. Food is good, some of the staff in the dinning area's could have been a little more helpful, but it is what it is. Over all the Catalonia is a very nice resort , keep in mind the things I have said. Beach is very nice as well which I forgot to mention. Overall I would rate the resort a 3.5 out 5 star.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mike t

Dear Mike t,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Riviera Maya for your recent vacations.

We appreciate your nice comments about the Resort.

We hope you can give us the chance to visit Catalonia again and this time, we will give you 100% of satisfaction.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hello,

I have added a new group to Facebook for guests and future guests to share their experiences of the Catalonia. Please come along and join so you can share your photographs, opinions & memories of this hotel.

Catalonia Riviera Maya Guests Group

Thank you!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank MissScotland12

Dear MissScotland12,

Thank you for share this information with us and all the guests!

Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My two girlfriends and I literally just came back from the Catalonia Riviera Maya. The price was decent and the pictures online look amazing. That is where it ends. The place basically pushes EVERYWHERE the idea of upgrading. I have been to a ton of all inclusive places and never ever felt like I was not as an important guest as another. Here at this resort if you don't upgrade you're told you can't go here and you can't do this or you don't have that. What is the point of booking an all inclusive if it restricts things you need to pay alot of extra money for. I found this place to be slightly below mediocre. The garden non-privileged room was super small and the AC in the room was not cold enough. We were also interrupted several times at our room to change out item in the room (ie: a basket that held the soaps in the bathroom). There were no extra towels when you needed them and they would not give us extra bottled water in our room when requested.

Room Tip: First floor rooms you hear EVERYTHING. Bring water shoes or you can't get into the ocean - har...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BrendaLynn15

Dear BrendaLynn15,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Riviera Maya for your recent vacations.

We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations.

We hope that you can give us the chance to change your point of view.

We remain at your service.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We returned from our visit yesterday and had a wonderful time. We arrived and were warmly greeted by the staff. There was a slight language barrier but, for the most part, they try real hard to accommodate those of us who speak English. We met people from several other countries (France, in particular), so I'm not too sure how easy it would be for them to communicate. I think they offered some sort of orientation, but it wasn't clear, so we figured most things out on our own. It only took us a day to get the lay of the land down. We are not drinkers, and we were with our 3 kids (11, 13, and 16), so it was more of a challenge for us than for some. We checked out the activity list and found soccer on the schedule for Wed. and Sunday. We went to the court and no staff ever showed up. Good thing we had a ball with us, so we organized a great multi-National game. We played 3 or 4 times (staff never showed) and we had usually 6 on 6 games. They had a small (indoor style) court at the archery range. We also took the Kayaks out and took a short sail boat trip. Other than that, we spent time ping-ponging, swimming, making sand Pyramids, laying out in the sun, and taking the bicycles out for a nice ride to the marina. The entire area is a gated community. We felt very safe biking around and exploring. The shopping areas are just too expensive, when you know it's dirt cheap outside the resort. Just be careful if you decide to venture out. Make sure you have a trustworthy guided outing. We were there for 10 days, so it was imperative that we have some off-resort time. We went to Xcaret and on a snorkeling tour.

Xcaret was beautiful, but very hot, too much walking, and really too expensive. We did enjoy the snorkeling river, but there are no fish to see and it is definately cold water. If you do go, don't get the buffet package upgrade. We went to the "Bar en Las Rocas" (something like that). The view was beautiful and we fed our family VERY WELL with 2 fajita platters and huge Pineapple smoothies for about $100. The buffet is $29 per person, so we saved a bit and no doubt had better food. If we were to go again, we would do Xplor instead of Xcaret. Xplor offers much more fun (zip lining, etc.) than walking and looking around.

The snorkeling tour was 2 stops (first was a public beach, but a guided tour which took us swimming with sea turtles). The second was a stop at Dos Ojos Cenotes. These are fresh water sink holes, which were beautiful and very refreshing. The tour took about 6 hours and included "lunch" (sandwich roll with some chicken spread type stuff). We spent about $430 for the 5 of us, but we felt it was worth it because we had an underwater video cam. We booked the tour at the booth on the beach.

DO NOT DO THE ROMANTIC DINNER: Here is the deal...We attended one of those Time Share type presentations. We knew what to expect and had nothing else going on that day, so it was no loss. We met with Eduardo Diaz, who was VERY nice. We booked the presentation at lunch and ate at one of the A La Carte restaurants. We actually considered doing the program, but it was just bad timing. Anyway, they gave us a $100 certificate toward the romantic lobster dinner, just for listening. We had to pay the difference, which was $30. The setting was beautiful. They only had 3 tables, which were situated down by the beach and the lagoon. We were the first ones there. It started with a nice shrimp cocktail, but then IT STARTED! About 3 completely clueless and loud families literally walked right between 2 of the $130 tables and plopped down their bags, towels, clothing, etc. Then they stripped down to there bathing suites and dropped there clothing for a nice picturesque background. Then they began splashing around and screaming while we tried to have our one moment alone. That lasted nearly the entire dinner. The food was good, except for the lobster cream soup, which was cold and salty. Remember we were early, right? Well the service was super slow! The waiter was nice, but he had to walk all the way from the restaurant to the tables for every course and didn't pace himself very well. The dinner took 3 HOURS! I kid you not, I could not see my main course when it arrived because it was so dark and the lighting was terrible. I had to feel the lobster out of the shell (they didn't even separate the meat). It was good, but very challenging. I hope there were no bugs on it! In the end I watched our waiter serve dessert to another couple who arrived 40 minutes after us, while we had been done with our main course for at least 30 minutes. I mentioned that to the waiter and he sort of chuckled uncomfortably.

BUFFETS:
The buffets were great for breakfast. If you have the Privileged status you can go to the A La Carte restaurants for a set number of visits, depending on your length of stay. We stayed 10 nights and received 6 visits plus one to the Tappas Lounge, which was also a nice dinner. For lunch, the buffets were good, but we usually chose the Bombaleo outdoor grill buffet. It was usually good food and near the pools and beach. Don't make our mistake and miss the Creperie from the beginning of your stay. It is located near the A La Carte Restaurants above the Las Brisas buffet and is included with your stay. It is a great place for dessert. The Mocha shakes are great for all and the crepes are very nicely done as well.

ROOM:
We had a privileged family suite. It was nice and we had no complaints. The AC worked well. It was hard to figure out when the room would be cleaned, but it was easy enough to work around their schedule.

POOLS/Beaches:
The pools and beaches were nice. Make sure you throw your towels out early if you want any shade. It seemed all the towels were out by about 7:30am. We were disappointed at the pool hours. We would have loved to have a late night swim, but the pools close at 6pm. I guess we could have gone for a late night swim in the lagoon near the romantic dinner couples.

SHOPPING:
They had a little market set up a few times while we were there, but most of the stuff is expensive and low quality, so we just didn't shop. They also have shops by the marina, but it was about the same.

SAFETY:
I speak enough Spanish to get by, so I spent time asking the locals about safety, police corruption, etc. I thought they were exaggerating when they said all of the police are corrupt. We left the resort at about 4:00am to go back to the Cancun airport (about 1 hour and 15 minute ride). I was talking with the driver (USA Transport) about police corruption when I saw red and blue lights flashing in the background. He pulled over and got out to speak with the officer. When he returned he told me how he paid the corrupt jerk $200 pesos to avoid getting a $900 peso ticket. He seemed to think it was a great deal. Let me be clear here...he was driving fine. I was absolutely appalled at this experience. What is even more upsetting is how the people just accept it. The Mexican people are good people, but the government is unbelievably corrupt. I later researched the possibility of complaining to the Play Del Carmen Police Dept. but, based on my inquiries, estimates place about 90% of the department involved in corruption. What a shame! Just be aware and make sure you choose reliable transportation and travel during the day if you can. For us, that was our only departure option for a non-stop flight.

Room Tip: It's really based on preference. Our room was on the first floor and away from the pools and th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Scottlin4
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My friend and I had never done an all inclusive and neither of us had been to Mexico. It was great in both areas! The staff was attentive and very friendly, the hotel was clean and we always saw people working, and the beach was quiet and well kept. It does have a rocky edge that you need to carefully walk over to enter the ocean but once you're in it doesn't matter! If you go to the rooftop terrace bar, ask Salvador to make you a Mexican Alien shot, it's delicious!! The bartenders at all the stations are quick, friendly and know their drinks! It was a perfect place to ring in my 30's :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We Came In May Of Last Year And We Had A Great Time, All Of The Activities From Snorkelling To Bingo On A Rainy Day Was Brilliant. Staff Were Very Welcoming And Friendly Especially Giovani And Pablo Who Worked In The Steakhouse! Very Clean Hotel And Was Best family Holiday I've Ever Been On! Looking Forward To Coming Back Soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jack_Palmer13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!