“Not worthy of the Northwest vacation Travel ratings”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We stayed here in May of 08 . After vacationing the previous Spring at the Dreams Tulum we were disapointed by the offerings of the resort. Let me say the rooms were very nice and clean. Being avid snorkelers we were looking forward to the beach snorkeling area. Instead it turned out to be a sewage inlet that attracted fish looking for food in the stangnate water. The gated community added charm but not enough to distract from caliber of guests that we had to deal with daily. The pools were virtually unuseable unless you were a chain smoker, heavy drinking cussing, flashing partier. The open ocean is too rough for children and most adults to swim in .
I would saw stay away from this place if you have children or are looking for a relaxing vacation .

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (9,437)

Reviewed 6 February 2009

This resort is absolutely wonderful. We ate at the buffet every night and the food was wonderful -- they have a different theme every night of the week. Mexican night is a must! The staff were super-friendly and really seemed to enjoy working there. We booked a junior suite and my husband really like the walk-in shower -- had one of those giant rain shower heads. The only problems we encountered were that the mini fridge was not as cold as we would would have liked and the shuttle to Playa Del Carmen only ran twice daily. Otherwise, the resort was very clean, very friendly, and you could participate or not as you pleased. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 6 February 2009

We spent our honemoon at Catalonia 18/01/09 - 01/02/09 and i can say that it was our best holiday.
We booked our trip through Thomas Cook and asked for a nice room because it was our honemoon. When we arrived we realised that we got an upgraded room which was lovely (usually it is an additional charge for it but we weren't asked to pay more). On the table we found strawberries covered in chocolate, lovely cake and a bottle of champagne...

BEACH : Very nice beach with lagoon, snorkel equipment, kayaks are included - really lots to do:) Also white sand and crystal blue water.
FOOD: All buffets and restaurants served very fresh and nice food, very friendly staff too.
TRIPS: If you wish to see X-caret, Tulum etc - it is much cheaper to go on your own (don't book through hotel as it is more expensive). You can take collectivo from the main road (20 mins walk) and buy tickets outside the place you want to go to.

It was amazing. We will for sure come back there

• Stayed: January 2009
9  Thank Muggie28
Reviewed 6 February 2009

My partner & I visited the Catalonia 2 years running, in February 2007 & 2008 so needless to say we loved the place (& we are not the type of people who usually go to the same place twice)

LOVED...
1. The hotel with its thatched buildings, authentic décor & immaculate gardens - worthy, I believe, of a 4 star rating
2. Excellent food at its 2 main buffet restaurants – Extensive choice & plenty of it
3. Italian & Mexican “Speciality” Restaurants
4. Spacious Room with large bed
5. Excellent Room Service
6. Tequila Slammers & plenty of them
7. First Class & attentive staff
8. Beach – a long stretch of soft white sand
9. Superb Location – within walking distance of the Marina & Dolphin Discovery & a short taxi ride away to Xcaret & Playa Del Carmen
10. The weather - although hot & sunny there was a constant sea breeze that made it bearable
11. Playa Del Carmen – loads of shops & bars & a beautiful soft white sand beach
12. Xcaret – Excellent day out with loads to see & do
13. Evening Entertainment usually consisting of a singer/band in the bar and/or a Dancing/Singing show on in the Theatre
14. All the Archaeological Sites we visited – These included
Chichen Itza - recently voted the 13th must see place to visit by the BBC
Coba, equally as impressive, set in the jungle it is twice the size and twice as steep but unlike Chichen Itza you are still able to walk up its steps (as long as you have got a good head for heights!).
Tulum, also worth a visit for its splendid location, on the coast and next to a wonderful small beach.

DISLIKED...
1. Tea was usually only luke warm
2. Going home

TIPS...
1. You have to pre-book the “Speciality” Restaurants & book them early because they are very popular & become fully booked up
2. Sunbeds are often all taken so it pays to get up early
3. If you visit Xcaret stay for the show in the evening based on the history of the Mayans – its free to watch & well worth seeing
4. If you visit Chichen Itza go with an escort – the history and facts connected to the pyramid are fascinating

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
9  Thank RUUDBOY09
Reviewed 3 February 2009

My trip was booked through a company in Miami (who books for the Catalonia Riviera,Cancun). Once we arrived, we were told we had good news and bad news. The bad news was that no rooms would be available for the first 2 nights, there good news was that we would be put up elsewhere.WHAT?? The company in Miami never bothered to inform me of the change in plans. My people at home had to be called (out of country charge) with change in our plans twice..
By the 3rd morning when i asked about the original hotel, i was given absolutely no info when our room would be ready. For a few hours we had absolutely NO ROOM!! We were prepaid, given no extras for our inconvience of packing,unpacking, repacking,only to have to unpack again and resettle. What did the company in Miami do for me??? I believe nothing. out of good will,They haven't even responded to my email. The hotels were lovely, the planning on the professionals part was none.You might want to call just prior to leaving the company you booked your trip with for any last minute changes.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank janettogo
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We stayed at the Catalonia Riviera Maya Jan 17-24, 2009. We have stayed in the Cancun area before but this was our first trip to this area. We loved the gated community and the fact that you were not hasseled on the beaches and street corners by people wanting to sell you something.

Our travel agent tried to get them to assure us an ocean view room but they couldn't do that. After seeing the layout of the hotel they have very few ocean view rooms and the ones they have probably are not great views. We stayed in a deluxe room and had a nice garden view.

Our room was 6104 which was a great location. It is tucked in a corner near the spa and Japanese restaraunt both of which were not very busy so not alot of people outside our patio. This is a ground floor room with a "mini pool". Basically a big deep bathtub. This room had an easy walk to the beach. Mattress was too firm for our taste but that was our only complaint about the room.

Housekeeping did a great job and we never had a sandy floor. They also left cute little towel animals for us each day often with some fresh flowers or petals. Our minifridge was stocked daily as well.

Food was pretty typical of an all inclusive. My husband and I are both pretty picky so alot of things we don't eat. But we never went hungry. Seemed to be alot of seafood on the buffets. We ate at the steakhouse one night and they did a great job with the steaks. Normally don't find decent steaks in Mexico has been our general feeling but these were an exception. Also ate at the Italian place one night and the food was good there as well. You should definately go to Le Creperie (ice cream)!

Shows were decent. One night was terrible but the others were ok. They also offer a movie every evening before the show.

Beach was nice. Never had much trouble finding a beach chair. People were not out just saving chairs. The snorkling is great right off the beach. Saw a barracuda and a small sting ray. You might want to bring some swim shoes with you if you want to get across the rocks to go out into deeper water.

We found the service of the hotel staff good alround. Everyone you met had a smile and a greeting.

We would definately recommend this hotel as we intend to stay there again in the future. I have several pics of the hotel room and grounds if you are considering staying here and would like to see them contact me.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank PUDLZOO
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Just returned from the CAT yesterday.

First, I have to thank all the TA members for all your help.

I will not bore you by repeating what everyone has been saying about the resort and the food except maybe letting anyone who hasn’t tried the Italian and Japanese al-la-carts to put them on your must do list.

I have been in the customer service business for 40 years and have a tendency to critique everywhere I go.
If I were to rate the CAT for customer service, I would have to give it a 5+ star. I was very impressed with the efficency and professionalism of the resort.

Food:
No matter how busy the buffets were, you never had to wait long because the staff were on top of everything all the time. The busier it got the faster they moved and not one accident the whole week, I was sure there would be a collision at one point or other.

Grounds:
The grounds, pool and beach were continually being maintained.

Bars:
The longer you stayed the more you enjoyed them. :o)

Animation:
What can you say…hard working, crazy bunch that can keep you entertained all the time whether you watch or participate.

Guest service and Reception:
Special thanks to Elena (Guest Service Dept.) my first contact via e-mail with the hotel for her help and in person for her sense of humor and last but not least, Remco (reception) who will do anything possible to make sure your stay is enjoyable. Thanks guys.

Final note:
I personally found the water a bit cool (others swam but I’m such a chicken…so my wife says… only because it doesn’t effect her the same as me) but all of the above more then made up for it.

By the way, after all the trouble I went through trying to get a Jr. Suite and it was offered to us. My wife liked the view at the standard room better so her and I took a vote. Guess who lost? :o(

Pics to follow

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Reso...
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!