“Clean, affordable, and beautiful all in one!”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Upon arrival at the Catalonia Riviera Maya we receeved a yummy beverage and that was a sign of a great vacation ahead. Check-in was very quick and easy (though the resort was obviously full). We were given a brief explanation of inclusions in the trip and an overview of the map which was helpful. We had booked one of the suites (deluxe room) and were not disappointed at all. IT WAS HUGE!! The room and resort were among the cleanest I have ever stayed. The pools were very nice and had two swim-up bars. We found the buffets to be good considering they are a buffet (you can't expect gourmet food in bulk). We enjooyed all of the a la carte restaurants, but the Japenese was our favorite! The beach is definitely smaller and rocky, but we hung out at the pool mostly and didn't mind. The staff and entertainment team at the Catalonia are the best bar none! They were so friendly and helpful all while keeping the guest comfortable and entertained each day and night. We cannot say enough good things about this resort! Go and see for yourselves!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RRedding725

Reviewed 8 May 2010

This was the first time my wife and I have traveled out of the country. The resort was unbelievably clean and all the staff was friendly and it was genuine not "put on" because it was their job. We especialy like Alfredo the front desk clerk, Joel and Luis in the Italian Restaurant, as well as Pilar who was with guest relations. The meals were really good, even the most picky eater like myself will have no problem finding something to eat. The only short comings of the resort were the shows they had were kind of basic and something my kids high school would put on, and the fact that my wife and I are beach walkers and there really was no beach to walk. My wife and I do plan on going back though

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glasberghead
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My best friend and I just got back from staying at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, All I can say is that I will be going back next year because it was one of the best vacation I have ever been on. Met some great people! The staff was so great, especially Gerardo, Luis, Candindo, Erika and Cindy. They all were in the Lobby bar most of our stay and spent most of the evenings enjoying their company. The staff working at the pool during the day was also a great time. They were very entertaining and made me laugh so much watching them. They made everyone feel so welcome. The food was great, the grounds were emaculate. I don't have one complaint about the place. I wish they were closer to the airport since it takes about an hour and half to get there but that will not stop me from going back. Already planning next years trip!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jah1213
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This is our third trip to The Catalonia and it just keeps getting better. Now they have added another restaurant, Tapas. Quite different and very enjoyable. They have added a beautiful gym and spa which helps when trying to justify all the eating and drinking.
The service continues to amaze in all circumstances.
This is a rather brief review in that most of the information about this resort has been mentioned time and again.
For your time and money the Catalonia cannot be beat. We are already looking forward to our next visit to This wonderful resort.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I read trip advisor every week for 6 months before our trip so I am happy to write my review.As soon as we got to Cancun it was raining which sucked, but hey what are you gonna do ? We had booked an airport shuttle when booking everything else , very friendly and helpful but I suggest a taxi to skip all the waiting around to gather people.I was afraid I wouldnt be able to get a taxi but they are everywhere and cheep - dont pay more than $25 usd .Check in was quick and simple. We booked a Suite and I highly highly recomend it .Our room was beautiful and very comfertable. Cozy bed plenty of towels and a mini bar fully stocked every day with pop water and beer, a safe and everything we needed. We used the tub on our balcony almost every night- very fun.

We met lots of wonderful people from all over the world. It continued to rain off and on for our first two days , so we decided to drink and eat alot. FOOD- breakfast bar was ok get a fresh omlet and ask for a cappichino ( Better than the coffee) lunch we mostly drank our lunch everyday but we hit the snack bar - ok food great french fries and nachos . Dinner we LOVED the Tapas resturaunt so beautiful and very yummy ( dont be afraid to ask for seconds they will bring it with a smile) Best food we ate there by far. The buffets are terrible!!!! Mexican ala cart was good try the filet -but we were warned to order it rare and it comes out medium well. Japenese was also really good , We had no problems with reservations just be sure to be at the resturants at 5:30 to put your name on the list.

We were treated like royalty the entire trip. We tipped well and the service was absoultly amazing.Anything we wanted we got it in seconds.We went to Tulum on saturday. It was fascinating but the best part was the beach - most beautiful I have ever seen .We paid 50 usd per person, which I thought was a bit pricey . Book excursions before you get there , or if you are brave rent a car and drive yourself. We spent alot of time waiting and driving to pick up guests from other resorts.

We loved the marina down the street . About a five minute walk. They have dolphins sting rays manitees and sea lions. You can pay to swim with them but we just enjoyed watching. Lots of shopping there and of course Gringo Daves. We had our free margeritta and took a picture with Dave . We went back Sunday night for kareoke but make sure to get there early , kareokee ends at 11. Most nights we went to the disco which was fun. An equal mix of american and spanish club music. It dosent open untill 11 but the sports bar next door is really fun too. Most of all we loved the swim up bars with our favorite bar tender Gregorary- he is the true party starter!! We never got bored not even for a second there is so much to do .

We said "When we come back " at least 20 times . We loved every minute of our trip . The Cat is a great place to stay. We tried snorkeling and kyaking - both free . That was fun but laying on the beach was the best. Nice beach a bit rocky but no big deal. If you are heading here soon I wish I were you - We cant wait to go back

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank dannyc38
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Transfers: We had Olympia Tours (the orange shirts) because we booked through Travelocity, which was fine, no hassles at the airport, took about 1hr and 15 min to get there. We were the first stop. Driver was visibly upset with the tip we gave him, but oh well.

Check-in/out: Fast, less than 5 minutes in and out (compared with some people who stayed at a fancier resort nr XelHa who said it took them at least 30 min

Room: We booked the Deluxe room on travelocity before we left (I've heard they may try to upsell the people with standard rooms when checking in. Since we had 2 kids, 8 and 6, we wanted it a little bigger. The room was fantastic, clean and even had an ocean view from the balcony, although it did face the pool area (so if you wanted to nap in the day it was a little noisy). The deluxe room gets you a concierge specifically for the deluxe rooms, and you get free internet access in his area.

Food: Fantastic, good variety. Just as good if not better than a fancier riv maya resort (Iberostar). Not much choice if you are vegetarian compared to the meat dishes. Loved the cappucinos (although not consistently available unless one went to the bar area), look for the delicious mexican coffee (on mexican night), good fresh salads and fruits. Had two coupons for the sit down restaurants, but only ate at the Japanese (showed up at 615, next seating was at 730p, excellent food; the other restaurant had a longer wait another night so we just did the buffet).

Tips: Didn't see much tipping going on. It seemed like the people who had alcoholic beverages (we don't drink) did a lot of the tipping, esp at the bars. Much less at the restaurants, we gave $1 on occasion esp if we ordered some of the special drinks. On the beach my wife asked one of the guys for a fresh coconut (cut down from a palm), so we tipped for that too. It didn't seem necessary to tip at every meal in my opinion (because it doesn't go to everyone like in restaurants up here in the US).

Beach: Excellent. Small lagoon area especially good for little kids, Ocean never too rough, but the coral reefs were fairly shallow. Snorkeling was the highlight for me here. An excellent variety of fish, we decided to cancel a side trip to snorkel at Akumal (which a friend recommended, and may have been more appropriate for older kids). I'd bring your own mask/tube, teh dive shop here charges $50 for the combo. Took the kayaks out, which were easy to get.

Side trip: Did the trip to tulum via the hotel people in the lobby. beware the price they quote you in USdollars, they actually charge in pesos at the hotel rate 13.5 instead of 12). I guess if you pay cash or pesos you would be fine. 2 adults/2 kids were about $130 US. Picked us up around 745 am, but had to stop at 3 more places, so got there around 10 or so. The tour guide was nice, informative, and proud of the place. although you can swim at Tulum, the beach is amazingly beautiful, we didn't think there was enough time for this. Got back around 130pm. We did Chichen Itza last time, renting our own car and it was fine, in fact easier and less tiring then the tour bus stops).

atmosphere: Pleasant people, less uptight than other fancier resorts. Lots of Canadians, few Europeans. A little too much party atmosphere at the pools, but never obnoxious (mostly familes and older adults here).

Gym: was free (maybe for the deluxe room people?, but treadmills fill up early)

Overall: would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank Xnav
Reviewed 24 April 2010

My friend and I had a great time staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya. We felt safe being in a gated community and there were hotel staff around all of the time. The front desk, waiters, bellhops, maids, bartenders, etc.. all went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable! A very friendly group of people work here! The beach and pools were beautiful along with the perfect weather that we had! We ate at the buffet for all of our meals and it was excellent!
The hotel is located in Puerto Aventuras, along with other hotels, condos, marina, and shopping area. Dolphin Discovery is inside the marina area as well, which is about a 5min. walk from our hotel. Here you can swim with the dolphins, manatees, and sea lions. There is also a free shuttle that runs 2 times a day to take you to Playa del Carmen (morning and evening,last shuttle back to hotel is at 11pm).
We booked our excursions through Olympus travel. We went to Xcaret, which was an amazing place, and definately worth it to stay all day. We also went on the Tulum Extreme excursion. This had the zip-lining, snorkeling in the cenotes, and going to Tulum to see the ruins along with swimming at a beautiful beach!

- I would recommend using Olympus Travel, Best Day Travel, or Hertz for airport/hotel transportation. (The drive to the hotel from the Cancun airport is a little over an hour, but goes by quick).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank erin8338
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Playa Maroma
Catalonia Playa Maroma
#4 of 6 in Playa Maroma
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!